Where will console gaming be 10 years from now?

• 66 results
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Probably with Sony bankrupt, MS leaving the business, Nintendo keeping the wavering flame only slightly lit and nobody else wanting to take over in a dwindling market (PC gaming is really going to start taking over if console manufacturers don't start offering Steam-like sales and deals).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#52 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@sukraj: ill be 42 in November. Glad I'm not the only one our age

Yeah it sucks being old isn't it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@sukraj said:

@cainetao11 said:

@sukraj: ill be 42 in November. Glad I'm not the only one our age

Yeah it sucks being old isn't it.

Parts of it does. Like I try to play sports with buddies now and then and man the body is beat up. But that also is part of the fun. We get laughs out of it.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

@cainetao11: I'm 38 ,good to see quite a few ppl who have been gaming since 70s/80s

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 cainetao11

@ominous_titan said:

@cainetao11: I'm 38 ,good to see quite a few ppl who have been gaming since 70s/80s

Oh yeah dude!! I used to complain in the '70s that my older brothers never let me play Pong with them. Then it was the Mattel hand held Football and Baseball games with the little red lights as players. Then in 1983 I got a hand held Donkey Kong that looked like an arcade cabinet. When everone was going NES I went Sega Master system and I have been buying my own consoles since.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ominous_titan

@cainetao11: hell ya the good old days of commodore64 ,Atari ,coleco ,intellivision sega and nes. I was a master system guy too, everyone else had Nes so we had the best of all worlds. I got an ouya just to play those old school sega games and Kenseiden is just as fun now as it ever was

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By cainetao11

@ominous_titan said:

@cainetao11: hell ya the good old days of commodore64 ,Atari ,coleco ,intellivision sega and nes. I was a master system guy too, everyone else had Nes so we had the best of all worlds. I got an ouya just to play those old school sega games and Kenseiden is just as fun now as it ever was

Kenseiden?!!!!! Oh I have to get an Ouya now. I totally forgot the Commodore 64 playing Commando, Who dares wins, Summer Games, oh the good times. I remember struggling with that flaming wheel boss with skull in the center in Kenseiden. I gotta play it again.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

The only thing Nintendo has is the children audience and nostaligic factor.
People hyped Wii U as the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ to Crysis Ultra Max resolutions.

Nintendo will opt for the cheap and easy buck instead producing jaw dropping material.

The casual audience that ran the Wii have turned their backs to the Wii U. And gone to Smartphones/tablets/mobile gaming.

So expect them to carry on keeping busy on the handhelds but that is slowly shifting to iphones, ipads and such.

Microsoft and Sony will compete to produce better hardware and gaming/entertaiment material to the world allowing developers to make better and bigger games as they are doing right now. Better sound, better visuals, better experiences, offline and online.

Expect more immersion from them. Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony can happily take risks and loose money to make better games for the audience. So kudos to them even though some people would mock it.

The gaming industry is a lucrative business.

PC gaming will be always be there but who knows with that, it is not dwindling but a works in combination with consoles. Some games you simply cant play on a console machine in living room. Expect more immersion hardware, like feeling pain when getting shot at in game.

Its all down to the developers and companies.
And the big ones and best ones are backing Microsoft/Sony/PC.

Once Nintendo is knocked out of the park. Apple/EA/Ubisoft.. like valve will, make a foothold.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Gue1 said:

free 2 play and indies are gonna dominate like never before and I will not like it.

You probably will like it once high rated and aaa ones start ending up on your system of choice like how they are on PC.

I'd easily take them over set-piece movie titles.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#61 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

They're already borderline PCs, I'm seeing Sony and Microsoft taking the last leap and start making their own brand graphic cards that they force gamers to upgrade for future games.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#62  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Iv been saying it for a while now that they will likely be a small box that sits under your TV or an app on your mobile device or PC that brings you your games through a streaming service similar to Onlive.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Probably with Sony bankrupt, MS leaving the business, Nintendo keeping the wavering flame only slightly lit and nobody else wanting to take over in a dwindling market (PC gaming is really going to start taking over if console manufacturers don't start offering Steam-like sales and deals).

I don't know about PC gaming taking over, but PC gaming is squeezing console gaming from the high-end side of gaming while mobile gaming is squeezing console gaming from the low-end side.

As time goes on many casual gamers (the vast majority of console owners) are switching more and more to mobiles/tablets as better games become available (I know far too many people playing Clash of Clans), and the core gamers are shifting to PC because it's becoming so much easier to get into, and provides way more games, cheaper prices, and a much better experience than any of the consoles do.

The console makers aren't doing much to differentiate themselves from those markets while simultaneously doing a lot to alienate gamers from their own market by creating a higher barrier to entry, and providing far less value per dollar.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

If this future is true I should probably move to Korea since they have the fastest internet by far...

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

then consoles will be where pc games were about 8 years ago....

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Where will console gaming be 10 years from now?

Where PC is today. Yeah I went there.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ominous_titan

@cainetao11: the ouya is worth it for the emulation , Kenseiden has really stood well against the test of time it had some really good boss battles and the great part of the ouya is if you get stuck you can fast forward , im not sure if it affects the upgrades to your attacks you get for killing the bosses

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I don't really see an all-streaming future coming even in 10 years. The main suspect pushing it here would be Sony with PS Now, but I don't think they'll force it on people in lieu of providing a console capable of playing local software. Although Sony experiments with a number of technologies, they are generally fairly conservative when it comes to forcing changes to the status quo. The boldest thing they've ever really integrated into their consoles was the inclusion of a Bluray drive in every PS3. Aside from that, their experiments with motion gaming, 3D, cameras, virtual reality, streaming and digital downloads have always been touted as optional and not required. Unless consumers are receptive to an all streaming future, I doubt Sony or Microsoft will actually follow through with it. Of course, no one expects Nintendo to go that route either.

The way I see it, graphics are starting to plateau but we're still at least 6 years away from 4K games on consoles. And no one is going to want to stream every last one of their 4K games, even in 10 years. Even in 10 years, people will still complain about how unstable their connections are.

I do think there is a chance that boxed, physical game copies may be history by then, replaced with all digital storefronts... but even that seems unlikely. I'd expect games to come with Bluray-Keys first. BDXL can support discs of up to 128GB which should be more than enough for the next round of consoles.