When will Xbox One pass Wii U?

• 58 results
#1 Posted by Kjranu (1029 posts) -

It doesn't seem like they ever will. Mario Kart 8 will make Wii U sell like hotcakes and thus maintaining their lead over Xbox One but not enough to push past PS4.

#2 Edited by Guy_Brohski (299 posts) -

When monkeys fly out of my ass, perhaps?

#3 Posted by blamix (204 posts) -

It wont pass the WiiU specially that MK8 is coming..

#4 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4894 posts) -

i pass on both

#5 Edited by cainetao11 (17701 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

It doesn't seem like they ever will. Mario Kart 8 will make Wii U sell like hotcakes and thus maintaining their lead over Xbox One but not enough to push past PS4.

Yeah, I'm not sold on the Mario Kart HUGE sales push. I know its a loved franchise but I think some are overestimating its impact this gen. By that logic, the same can be attributed to when the next Halo comes out

#6 Posted by Megavideogamer (5440 posts) -

Once the Xbox one has been on the market for 1 year. Mario kart 8 for the Wii U will not make as large an impact on Wii U sales as hoped. It will drive some sales but not in a very extreme way. Thus Xbox one will pass Wii U in 10 - 12 months on the market. Xbox one has 4 million Wii U has just under 6 million (5.8 million) in 17 months.

November 2014 should see Wii U at 8 million and Xbox one at just 8.1 million. It will just edge the Wii U. Mario kart 8 will prove to be a factor. But Xbox one should pass Wii U

#7 Posted by KBFloYd (13804 posts) -

probably this year...that damn titanfall :P

#8 Posted by Basinboy (11228 posts) -

This year

As a guess, I'll say September - once Destiny hits

#9 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

wait, xbox one is behind wii U?

#10 Posted by Telekill (4689 posts) -

@Basinboy: But Destiny is multigen and platform. Destiny won't push X1 sales.

That said, I see X1 outselling WiiU sometime this year.

#11 Edited by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

That weakass POS tablet is not going to outsell the Xbox One!

Halo, Gears, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Fable Legends, D4.

I kid, I like Nintendo. :D

#12 Posted by dovberg (3348 posts) -

It will probably happen in a month or 2, or if there really is a price cut it will make a big difference.

#14 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

It might have already passed it, I think wii u sold just over 5 million units, and MS announced like 3 months ago it sold 3 million X1's. So its not hard to believe that X1 has sold 2 million units in the last 3 months especially since titan fall.

#15 Edited by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

Well M$ was Rich enough to buy its own Failing console. Bought copies of Titanfall from EA and bundled it for Free with the Xflop One, so it almost counts as M$ buying their own console to drive sales number

#16 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Dunno how much Titanryse has sold yet... I assume it will only take a matter of months to go past the WiiU 2-3 maybe if the xbox one has sold ~4.5 Million so far.

#17 Posted by Basinboy (11228 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@Basinboy: But Destiny is multigen and platform. Destiny won't push X1 sales.

That said, I see X1 outselling WiiU sometime this year.

Yes, but not on the Wii U. And the console for shooters - in the eyes of the mainstream - is Xbox. Shooter fans aren't going to pass on the new IP from the Halo devs and the publisher of CoD.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Destiny bundled with both PS4s and X1s this holiday, at some point (i.e. discounted). Plus there's always the possibility of price drop or Kinect-less SKU.

#18 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9807 posts) -

IDK why you guys think Mario Kart 8 is going to make the WiiU sale like hot cakes.

Anyways.... M$ is going to annouce a price drop at E3, so there is your answer.

#19 Edited by super600 (30717 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

IDK why you guys think Mario Kart 8 is going to make the WiiU sale like hot cakes.

Anyways.... M$ is going to annouce a price drop at E3, so there is your answer.

The last mario kart console game was the highest selling game of the gen(not including games like wii sports).If nintendo markets Mario Kart 8 well it can sell at least at third of that easily, but it won;t completely save the wiiu.Mario kart's also usually appeal to both the casuals and hardcore.

#20 Edited by BluFalconUltra (22 posts) -

Hopefully never, but a Zelda game for WiiU needs to hurry up and that is when I will buy one.

The last mario kart console game was the highest selling game of the gen(not including games like wii sports)

GTA5 probably passed it already as it was not far behind.

#21 Posted by Bardock47 (5301 posts) -

I would be very surprised if X1 came out above third this gen, almost no reason to get one. Between it and the PS4, the PS4 has the better hardware. It doesn't have all the huge exclusives like the WII U. The only reason to go xbox this gen is the standard Halo, Gears, Forza.....maybe Fable; and depends on how the new ips play out for them.

#22 Posted by Suppaman100 (3936 posts) -

Well Wii U > Xbone.

Srs why buy an inferior system when you can get a PS4 that is superior in every aspect.

#23 Edited by super600 (30717 posts) -

@blufalconultra said:

Hopefully never, but a Zelda game for WiiU needs to hurry up and that is when I will buy one.

The last mario kart console game was the highest selling game of the gen(not including games like wii sports)

GTA5 probably passed it already as it was not far behind.

Maybe GTA5 did pass Mario Kart Wii, but we don't actually have updated data for either game.

#24 Posted by Netret0120 (2197 posts) -

Very soon. Wii U will finish a distant 3rd this gen. Heck PS4 has been on the market for just over 6 months and has obliterated Wii U's lifetime sales in over a year. Xbone will be a close 2nd. Perhaps a 5-10 million gap between X1 and PS4 by the end of the gen.

#25 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5589 posts) -

Yep, this year for sure.

Mario Kart will move some systems, but not in the way people seem to think.

#26 Edited by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

@Megavideogamer said:

Once the Xbox one has been on the market for 1 year. Mario kart 8 for the Wii U will not make as large an impact on Wii U sales as hoped. It will drive some sales but not in a very extreme way. Thus Xbox one will pass Wii U in 10 - 12 months on the market. Xbox one has 4 million Wii U has just under 6 million (5.8 million) in 17 months.

November 2014 should see Wii U at 8 million and Xbox one at just 8.1 million. It will just edge the Wii U. Mario kart 8 will prove to be a factor. But Xbox one should pass Wii U

Your forgetting that E3 is coming and Mario Kart 8 & Super Smash Bros won't be the only cards up Nintendo's sleeve, they could announce and show gameplay from a new Zelda and Metroid, and then the Xbox One will never catch it.

#27 Posted by clr84651 (5486 posts) -

Sorry, my chrystal ball is failing me. And I don't care if/when it does. I would rather see Nintendo in 2nd.

#28 Posted by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

Sorry, my chrystal ball is failing me. And I don't care if/when it does. I would rather see Nintendo in 2nd.

Your crystal ball should first show you how to spell crystal correctly and then maybe you'll get a better outlook of the Wii-U's bright future.

#29 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17918 posts) -

Not just Mario Kart 8, but Nintendo will have a very good e3 "I guarantee it"

#30 Posted by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

This year sometime.

#32 Posted by clr84651 (5486 posts) -

@Slimmin360 said:

@clr84651 said:

Your crystal ball should first show you how to spell crystal correctly and then maybe you'll get a better outlook of the Wii-U's bright future.

Ah yes, it only works for Playstation consoles unfortunately. I want to see the Wii U do well. I only care to see MS consoles sell poorly.

#33 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@Megavideogamer said:

Yeah, the One passes Wii-U this fall and never looks back. To many games coming versus MK8 and Smash Brothers. In 2015 its they'll be millions ahead with Halo 5 coming. Then Gears 4.

#34 Posted by Celsius765 (731 posts) -

Hmm possibly by the end of the year if they get decent exclusives. E3 will be very important for all 3 consoles. MS may still have few stains on their reputation. There may still be people feeling the drm burn so they don't trust MS. Also hardware wise Xbox is the most inferior quality, I've heard some people over the course of xbox 360's lifetime have gone through 3-5 of the console due to hardware failure which forced MS to issue people a 3 year warranty

#35 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

I would say by October, we will know. I expect them to actually hit the mark by August. However, since they will most likely be selling less than the PS4 by then, MSFT won't announce the numbers till their quarterly report that time of year since they don't seem to like report sales if they're not leading.

#36 Posted by blackace (20874 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

By the end of the year, I'm sure. XB1 launches in the other 30 countries in Sept. Then they get a Halo game and probably Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break & sunset Overdrive all before the end of the year. I expect XB1 will sell 8-10 million before the end of the year.

#37 Edited by CroidX (1137 posts) -

needs a super mario galaxy

#38 Posted by santoron (7774 posts) -

I'll guess August. Certainly this year though. Just a matter of if it will happen before or during next holiday shopping season.

#39 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151395 posts) -

It might....it might not. The Wii U isn't selling terribly well. But if Nintendo were to come up with some games and push the console...maybe even drop the price another $50...that might generate some sales. The X1 may or may not be able to increase sales. Right now they lag behind significantly.....and many former 360 owners have switched. Tough to say if they will pass the Wii U or not. Neither console has the buzz.

#40 Posted by kuu2 (7367 posts) -

What is the WiiU at right now?

#42 Posted by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

@Guy_Brohski said:

When monkeys fly out of my ass, perhaps?

Xbox One shipped 5 million the Wii-U only sold like 6.1 million and in three times as many countries compared to the Xbox One's 13 countries.

So very soon!

#43 Posted by nyzma23 (929 posts) -

the question is when microsoft gonna buy nintendo they've been talk about it since they start to build xbox but cancelled since ballmer become ceo

now with new ceo i hope he can make it and save xbox bussiness

#44 Posted by Celsius765 (731 posts) -

@nyzma23 said:

the question is when microsoft gonna buy nintendo they've been talk about it since they start to build xbox but cancelled since ballmer become ceo

now with new ceo i hope he can make it and save xbox bussiness

Dunno if they can or would want to. I mean do the have $35 billion or more to be throwing around? even if they do I doubt investors would be pleased about them spending so much considering some of them want xbox gone

#45 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5039 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

What is the WiiU at right now?

around 6m

@Suppaman100 said:

Well Wii U > Xbone.

Srs why buy an inferior system when you can get a PS4 that is superior in every aspect.

agreed. at least with wii u i will be buying something different, x1 is just a inferior ps4

#46 Edited by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

By the end of summer

#47 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28421 posts) -

So many idiots on system wars, its why I only visit here once a day to point and laugh at them otherwise they are just too much.

#48 Posted by kuu2 (7367 posts) -

Before the end of the summer for sure. The One has not launched world wide yet so they will get a significant boost when they do. It might only be 500k but that is quite a bit for a console already doing well.

#49 Posted by louisfoxton (1398 posts) -

i dont think its gonna out sell the wii u ever because the price tags and no games MK8 is coming out in a few months so i think the wii u is gonna be on the top of the ndp for a few months once it comes out

#50 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

Lol at people who think that Mario kart will keep the wii u ahead of the xbone this generation. The wii u is dead guys. It's only a matter of time before the bone passes it. It's not a matter of if but when.