When will the PS3 be $400?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
Because that's when I might buy it, so does anyone know when it will cost $400? 2015?
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
Two years from now, maybe.
OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts
there are rumors for a price drop.i think i saw it on latest news at gametrailers.com
nybritboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nybritboy
Member since 2005 • 774 Posts
next year after Sony discontinues it and its sitting in bargain bins
purplemidgets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 purplemidgets
Member since 2002 • 3103 Posts
How would we know?
shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
When the Xbox 360 is $200
Devilwillcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Devilwillcry
Member since 2004 • 1976 Posts
I personally beleive that the PS3 will be $450 USD this Christmas. Becuase it will be closer to the 360's price but it will still be more, so MS will not be persuaded to drop their price yet. (remember MS's consumer electronics division is still in the financial red and the 360 is only started turning a profit. If they still have a price edge they are going to ride that price as long as they can.) Sony has two other sources of income (PS2, PSP) plus softwareto help bring in income to SCE while they take greater losses on the PS3, somthing MS doesn't currently have the luxury of. You also have to remember that there are THREE SKUs for the 360 being produced so it will take them longer to streamline production, while their is only one PS3 model now. Also, like mentioned before the new tech in the PS3 will drop in price quickly becuase new tech often drops in price quickly. By holiday season 2008, I think we will see that PS3 at $400 or lower. However I beleive the PSP will be Sony's main focus this holiday season, as it is showing an excellent software lineup and a price drop to $150with a streamlined re-design is only going to help thehandheld.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Knowing my luck, the day after I buy one...
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#9 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

If PS3 sales continue to be downright pathetic, you can expect the PS3 to be $400 around this time next year (Summer 08 ). Sony cannot afford to drop the PS3's price by $200 so soon. The Ps3 hasn't even been out for a year yet.

Expect, at most, a $100 drop this HOliday season. Also, expect MS to match any price drop.

Sony has two other sources of income (PS2, PSP) plus softwareto help bring in income to SCE while they take greater losses on the PS3, somthing MS doesn't currently have the luxury of. . Devilwillcry

Don't kid yourself. MS has plenty of finances to fall back on. Far more than Sony in fact.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thinicer

I personally beleive that the PS3 will be $450 USD this Christmas. Becuase it will be closer to the 360's price but it will still be more, so MS will not be persuaded to drop their price yet. (remember MS's consumer electronics division is still in the financial red and the 360 is only started turning a profit. If they still have a price edge they are going to ride that price as long as they can.)Devilwillcry

Except they won't have the price edge necessarily. If the PS3 becomes $450, then that means it will be $30 less than the Xbox 360 Elite and only $50 more than the Xbox 360 Premium. The PS3 suddenly becomes the far better buy for a consumer still on the fence about which console to get.

Microsoft will lower the price of the 360 if this scenario occurs. They're going to want to keep the Premium $200 cheaper, at most, compared to the PS3. If the PS3 becomes $450, Microsoft will lower the Premium to $249-$299. Maybe to $279? Their main goal will probably be to keep the Elite at least $100 cheaper than the PS3, and the Premium at least $70 cheaper than the Elite. Just a guess. They really want to maintain their price advantage over the PS3.

Devilwillcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Devilwillcry

If PS3 sales continue to be downright pathetic, you can expect the PS3 to be $400 around this time next year (Summer 08 ). Sony cannot afford to drop the PS3's price by $200 so soon. The Ps3 hasn't even been out for a year yet.

Expect, at most, a $100 drop this HOliday season. Also, expect MS to match any price drop.

[QUOTE="Devilwillcry"]Sony has two other sources of income (PS2, PSP) plus softwareto help bring in income to SCE while they take greater losses on the PS3, somthing MS doesn't currently have the luxury of. . LosDaddie

Don't kid yourself. MS has plenty of finances to fall back on. Far more than Sony in fact.

Yes, but not the consumer electronics divsion of MS...

phantas777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 phantas777
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts
you can pretty much go on ebay and find them for around $430, anyone that doesn't put a reserve on it never gets it for the retail price.  it's funny to watch the people that are still trying to do the buy it now for $999.99, that cracks me up.
Devilwillcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Devilwillcry

[QUOTE="Devilwillcry"]I personally beleive that the PS3 will be $450 USD this Christmas. Becuase it will be closer to the 360's price but it will still be more, so MS will not be persuaded to drop their price yet. (remember MS's consumer electronics division is still in the financial red and the 360 is only started turning a profit. If they still have a price edge they are going to ride that price as long as they can.)thinicer

Except they won't have the price edge necessarily. If the PS3 becomes $450, then that means it will be $30 less than the Xbox 360 Elite and only $50 more than the Xbox 360 Premium. The PS3 suddenly becomes the far better buy for a consumer still on the fence about which console to get.

Microsoft will lower the price of the 360 if this scenario occurs. They're going to want to keep the Premium $200 cheaper, at most, compared to the PS3. If the PS3 becomes $450, Microsoft will lower the Premium to $249-$299. Maybe to $279? Their main goal will probably be to keep the Elite at least $100 cheaper than the PS3, and the Premium at least $70 cheaper than the Elite. Just a guess. They really want to maintain their price advantage over the PS3.

But then they blow their chance at profit! somthing that the division just can't afford. They will still have an advantage and they will use that advantage until they have gotten enough to get them out of the red.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thinicer

Devilwillcry

Well it operated at a loss last gen, and it's still alive and kicking. So yes, it does have something to fall back on.

But I don't think Microsoft is particularly proud of that. They are serious about it becoming profitable, and they will probably finally make it so this year. It's looking pretty good for them right now, except for the continued woes of the Xbox 360 hardware that has cost the company a ton of money to combat.

But the whole point of business is to not create areas that generate profit so you can fall back on them and break even, it's to be overall profitable. It's true, the PS2 and PSP are helping SCE right now, but the PS2 is finally on the wane. There are no big-time exclusive games left to come to the console. Sony is now focusing strictly on PS3 development - everybody else is focused on PS3 & Xbox 360 development.

So if Sony lowers the price of the PS3 by $150, they'll be taking an even larger loss on the console than they are now. The lower price will be matched by Microsoft & Nintendo - those consoles will also become better buys. These cuts will put pressure on the PS2 - the console won't sell as well as people will be more willing to make the plunge into next-gen.

So, if you combine a PS3 price cut that means Sony takes an even larger loss on the console, along with weaker PS2 sales, it could mean that Sony takes an overall loss.

Sony may not lower the price of the PS3 until after the holidays. They will probably keep the PS3 $599 and hope that their console exclusives move a lot of units for them. I don't know what Microsoft intends to do, but I don't think they will move on a price cut until Sony does.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thinicer

But then they blow their chance at profit! somthing that the division just can't afford. They will still have an advantage and they will use that advantage until they have gotten enough to get them out of the red.

Devilwillcry

Not necessarily. I don't know how much Microsoft is making per console right now, but it could be $100. Just a guess. If the new , cheaper Xbox 360 chipset (60nm) really cuts down on manufacturing costs, and Microsoft still takes a profit on each console sold, then they'll be okay.

Halo 3 will make the company tons of money. It is going to sell millions of copies and will be a big source of revenue for them.

And besides, this generation will take at least five years to complete itself and there is a whole lot of chances for Microsoft & Sony to be profitable.

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts
2-3 years. how knows maybe a year.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LosDaddie
[QUOTE="Devilwillcry"]

thinicer

Well it operated at a loss last gen, and it's still alive and kicking. So yes, it does have something to fall back on.

But I don't think Microsoft is particularly proud of that. They are serious about it becoming profitable, and they will probably finally make it so this year. It's looking pretty good for them right now, except for the continued woes of the Xbox 360 hardware that has cost the company a ton of money to combat.

But the whole point of business is to not create areas that generate profit so you can fall back on them and break even, it's to be overall profitable. It's true, the PS2 and PSP are helping SCE right now, but the PS2 is finally on the wane. There are no big-time exclusive games left to come to the console. Sony is now focusing strictly on PS3 development - everybody else is focused on PS3 & Xbox 360 development.

So if Sony lowers the price of the PS3 by $150, they'll be taking an even larger loss on the console than they are now. The lower price will be matched by Microsoft & Nintendo - those consoles will also become better buys. These cuts will put pressure on the PS2 - the console won't sell as well as people will be more willing to make the plunge into next-gen.

So, if you combine a PS3 price cut that means Sony takes an even larger loss on the console, along with weaker PS2 sales, it could mean that Sony takes an overall loss.

Sony may not lower the price of the PS3 until after the holidays. They will probably keep the PS3 $599 and hope that their console exclusives move a lot of units for them. I don't know what Microsoft intends to do, but I don't think they will move on a price cut until Sony does.

Completely agreed.

MS has far more financial resources to fall back on than Sony. It's common knowledge actually

terdoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 terdoo
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts

Because that's when I might buy it, so does anyone know when it will cost $400? 2015?Kayrod29

Maybe the year 3000.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts
It will be $400 at the exact moment I buy one.
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
...when racism and prejudice are no more.
NickJayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NickJayD
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
When Gizmondo is out selling PS3 Sony will drop the price by $5
JackBurton28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JackBurton28
Member since 2006 • 442 Posts
Hopefully not after HD-dvd/blu ray combo players hit $400, otherwise the future looks dim for PS3.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
When they're giving away Wiis for free.
LeDavester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LeDavester
Member since 2007 • 271 Posts
the ps3 will be 400 dollars when ps4 is out. and it will be 350 when the ps3 slimline is out.
CassiusGaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CassiusGaius
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

Probably as some have suggest possibly in the summer of '08. Thats being highly optimistic though. Also, MS will most certainly counter with a price drop as well.

And I don't understand how people are speculating that Sony can afford to do it, yet MS can't? You do realize MS could theoretically sell the 360 for $100 dollars and still be fine and dandy. The gaming division would lose billions, but thats just chump change to MS.

GarchomPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GarchomPro
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

Sony confirmed a Price Drop they just dont know how much yet

So im guessing 50-100$ off after E3

Avatar image for flashattackfina
flashattackfina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 flashattackfina
Member since 2007 • 1468 Posts
CassiusGaius if MS sell 360 for $100 bye bye MS gaming division
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LosDaddie

CassiusGaius if MS sell 360 for $100 bye bye MS gaming divisionflashattackfina

YOu completely missed his point.

Blanco98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Blanco98
Member since 2006 • 1118 Posts
Well i can guaranttee a $100 drop this fall or Holiday, and then prolly again next Summer...Anyways PS3 is awsome andSony wont go bankrup they are a 63 billion dollar company....Anyways they got more money from PSP, PS2 (PS2 still outsells 360 sales Per month, So do PSP) they also get more money from other products they sell, and a percent of the Profit they get they use to help out other products such as the PS3...Anyways if you have a decent job it wont bother you, just save alot of money and buy it when ever you think its the best time for purchase lets say, Even if your 14 years old you can get it, Work in publix or any place that lets you (here in florida you can) they pay you an average salary of 250 to 300 per month if your 14 yrs old, save lets say 100 of those dollars per month and you can get one at yrs end for holiday season......
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

If I had to guess I would say by November 2008 / March 2009 at the latest. The 360 should be real depressing by then and most people will be selling their system off to get White Night Story , FFXIII , MGS4 , FF Versus XIII , GT5 , God of War III , SotC II , etc. j/k.

Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts
When it will be made out of recycled material...
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts
when pigs fly....

oh wait, cops have helicopters

scratch that thought