drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

With PS3, for example, Uncharted 1 looked good, but Uncharted 2 in 2009 was a huge jump. With Uncharted 3 in 2011 and Last of Us in 2013, yeah, they still looked great, but weren't really a big jump up from Uncharted 2. Moreso, they were just stylized differently and refined in aspects due to more experience with the hardware.

GTA IV came out in 2008. GTA V came out in 2013. GTA V did have more detail, but ultimately it didn't look leagues better. Moreso just different stylization.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

When Sony says so.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

You have an odd definition of looks great

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

The hardware capability has already peaked, it peaked before these consoles even launched, it's simply up to the feature sets of the API's now and new engine technology. Basically from here on out these consoles are going to get left behind, far behind, with PC holding a larger market share now and more developers coming out of the woodwork games are going to start looking drastically better while console progression will be extremely slow.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 drekula2

@lostrib said:

I said looked great.

Quake looked great in the 90's.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Well, first we need MORE real 1st generation, NON-last gen developed software designed solely for the PS4/Xbone like upcoming Batman Arkham Knight.

Then we need to get to 2nd gen software that builds on the work of the first gen software (like Uncharted 1 ---> Uncharted 2, Batman AA ---> Batman AC, etc). Then we can get to those 3rd wave games that are built on the 1st wave, etc. We do have some examples that reveal the graphics power behind these consoles, but the problem is they aren't rated too high as actual quality games like The Order and that game will probably not get a sequel due to the backlash, so we probably won't see how the optimization would go further with a 2nd wave Order 2 game.

There is also the question of talent and resources. Ready at Dawn is no Naughty Dog, for instance, so teams can only achieve what time and their god given talent will allow.

Since we are getting so many last generation/cross generation developed games (Destiny, Call of Duty, Rise Tomb Raider, etc) and HD ports (DmC, Halo MCC, TLOU R, Saints Row, GTA5, etc), people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around what these newer PS4/Xbone machines can actually do.

This is a strange question, are we supposed to just sort of guess a year when the graphics will peak?

Okay, 2019.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

they already have

720-900p(with a few 1080p titles) and sub 30fps

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

PS3 took ages to peak because it was so complex. Xbox 360, not so much. Sure there was a bit of a jump, but not massive. The jump was like, Gears to Gears 2. I don't think games got a lot better looking than Gears 2 (Gears 3 looks like a slightly different art style).

Because this gen uses easier architecture, results will be like the Xbox 360, with consistent performance and marginal improvements later on.

I don't think graphics will get anything but slightly better than Drive Club and The order at best. I think anyone expecting more will be disappointed. There's no way even GT7 will look as good as Drive Club either since GT7 will be aiming for 60fps performance.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib

@drekula2 said:
@lostrib said:

I said looked great.

TLOU didn't look great in 2013

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drekula2

@SolidTy said:

Since we are getting so many last generation/cross generation developed games and HD ports, people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around what these machines can actually do.

I agree. The line between last gen and this gen is so thin. I think later this year and 2016, we'll really see games that maximize the console's capabilities. But after that, gains will diminish.

@nyadc said:

The hardware capability has already peaked, it peaked before these consoles even launched

I'm referring to games that push the system's limits - not games that make the consoles look obsolete.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I don't think games got a lot better looking than Gears 2

This is the dumbest thing I've seen on here in a long time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

@drekula2 said:

@nyadc said:

The hardware capability has already peaked, it peaked before these consoles even launched

I'm referring to games that push the system's limits - not games that make the consoles look obsolete.

Didn't the Project Cars devs say they were pushing the system to the limit

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@nyadc said:

The hardware capability has already peaked, it peaked before these consoles even launched, it's simply up to the feature sets of the API's now and new engine technology. Basically from here on out these consoles are going to get left behind, far behind, with PC holding a larger market share now and more developers coming out of the woodwork games are going to start looking drastically better while console progression will be extremely slow.

Devs can use cell shading and not focus on open word phootorealistic graphics.

If the console market was bad the ps4 will be in the same boat as WIIU and Xbox.

The 3ds is doing great againts the vita.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib

@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

This would indicate otherwise

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Exactly which games looks significantly better than Gears of War 2 on the Xbox 360?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@nyadc: Good thing just about every developer disagrees with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@drekula2 said:
@lostrib said:

I said looked great.

Good looking games don't suddenly look shit as time goes on, they were just shit to begin with.

That said, last gen has some great looking games, as does 6th gen.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

Well, the PS4 peaked with a severely downgraded version of the TC's avatar, akin too:

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

LOL at people thinking graphics have peaked on consoles.

Look at history. Year 5+ games are much better looking than launch games. We still have a way to go.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TigerSuperman

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Exactly which games looks significantly better than Gears of War 2 on the Xbox 360?

Crysis 2.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NyaDC

@AM-Gamer said:

@nyadc: Good thing just about every developer disagrees with you.

How could anyone disagree? The hardware is nearly four years old at this point, it peaked years ago...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Crysis 2.

The Xbox 360 version of Crysis 2 does not look significantly better than Gears of War 2.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TigerSuperman

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Crysis 2.

The Xbox 360 version of Crysis 2 does not look significantly better than Gears of War 2.

Good thing no one else major in the industry agrees with you, and actually look at tech comparisons so they won't say complete utter garbage that you just did.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

I was going to make a thread about this, exactly when did last gen consoles reached their peak.

I think after UC2, nothing was really spectacular, and that game came out 3 years after PS3 release.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NyaDC

@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Crysis 2.

Good thing no one else major in the industry agrees with you, and actually look at tech comparisons so they won't say complete utter garbage that you just did.

Yeah, clearly it's the pinnacle of the Xbox 360... Looks like straight up dog shit...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@drekula2 said:

GTA IV came out in 2008. GTA V came out in 2013. GTA V did have more detail, but ultimately it didn't look leagues better. Moreso just different stylization.

Fucking what? Stop chatting shit.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#27 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

I dont know if they have peaked, but it seem they can only go so far. Witcher 3 looks good on PS4, but the framerate is awful.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib

@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:

Crysis 2.

sources?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

With Guerilla/SantaMonica/Naughty Dog's second or third game.. The hardware was maxed out long ago but there are still API and engine optimizations that will allow them to squeeze a little bit more out for graphics.. performance is another story

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@TigerSuperman said:

Comparing Xbox 360 screens of both games, both look detailed towards their art directions, at best I'd say Crysis 2 probably has better lighting. Otherwise it doesn't look significantly better.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TigerSuperman

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:

Comparing Xbox 360 screens of both games, both look detailed towards their art directions, at best I'd say Crysis 2 probably has better lighting. Otherwise it doesn't look significantly better.

Of course, more nonsense. and Crysis 3 looks better than that. The game was a graphical showcase, and was stated multiple times to push graphics on PC and console.

@lostrib said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:

Crysis 2.

sources?

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2011/Best_Xbox_360_Graphics

@nyadc said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Crysis 2.

Yeah, clearly it's the pinnacle of the Xbox 360... Looks like straight up dog shit...

Yep nice compressed still shot. let's just ignore the media. Also the fact the game pushes more visuals, polygons and effects than the majority of ps3/360 games.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NyaDC
@TigerSuperman said:

Yep nice compressed still shot. let's just ignore the media. Also the fact the game pushes more visuals, polygons and effects than the majority of ps3/360 games.

No matter how you dice it the game looks abysmal on the Xbox 360, I'm not even talking in comparison to Gears of War 2, it just looks like utter garbage... You're really going to try and use the compression scapegoat with that image? With all of the glaringly obvious graphical issues completely exposed regardless of the images compression, that's rich...

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TigerSuperman

@nyadc said:
@TigerSuperman said:

No matter how you dice it the game looks abysmal on the Xbox 360, I'm not even talking in comparison to Gears of War 2, it just looks like utter garbage... You're really going to try and use the compression scapegoat with that image? With all of the glaringly obvious graphical issues completely exposed regardless of the images compression, that's rich...

It doesn't actually, and no one agrees with that, including the multitude of reputable reviewers of the 360 version. None. Whom you are ignoring.

Also this conversation is in comparison to Gear 2, which Crysis does what Gears 2 does 3x better and more.

ralphikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ralphikari
Member since 2006 • 752 Posts

On the technical side, they already have. PC's are pulling away and the only envelope left for the twins to push is production value.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@nyadc: No it really hasn't. The Cpu is the weakest part of these consoles and a large portion of these games are not even designed to use all cores. Even if they were they are still relying on weak cpu cores. The PS4 was designed for GPU compute which will take a significant load off the cpus. The X1 will also gain advantages with DX12 . So although it's not going to allow them to reach high end pc's you should still see an improvement of what's out now.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NyaDC

@TigerSuperman said:
@nyadc said:
@TigerSuperman said:

It doesn't actually, and no one agrees with that, including the multitude of reputable reviewers of the 360 version. None. Whom you are ignoring.

Also this conversation is in comparison to Gear 2, which Crysis does what Gears 2 does 3x better and more.

Yeah, it just looks so fantastic, also it doesn't look better than Gears of War 2, at least not on the 360... Also your "compressed image" argument is just bullshit, the game looks horrible on 360, just horrible, Halo 2 looks better in places...

360 Compressed Image

PC Compressed Image

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Consoles don't have a chance with multiplats. PC will always put them to shame. But I believe first-party titles will push consoles' limits for quite some time.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HalcyonScarlet
@TigerSuperman said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@TigerSuperman said:

Of course, more nonsense. and Crysis 3 looks better than that. The game was a graphical showcase, and was stated multiple times to push graphics on PC and console.

Crysis 2 and 3 look good on the PC, on consoles they're much more toned down.

On the Xbox 360, Crysis 2 does not look significantly better.

PC Extreme settings:

Xbox 360:

Gears of War 2:

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#39 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Uncharted 4 will be about as good as it gets.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@lostrib said:
@drekula2 said:
@nyadc said:

Didn't the Project Cars devs say they were pushing the system to the limit

every dev says that though

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

Towards end of gen

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Middleware will only add some difference to it. Havok just revealed their FX software that won't look like skyrim. This is done off the cpu.

This gen has pretty much has hit its peak though. Developers understand the hardware, it's no cell or powerpc.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

When we start playing PS4 games at 720p60.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#44 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

In 2017.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@drekula2 said:
@lostrib said:

I said looked great.

The first time I saw Quake I commented on how ugly it looked. I don't usually do that even if I see a game which I think has bad graphics but Quake was so fucking bland and ugly I had to say something. So yeah I think your definition of 'great' is kind of weird.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@nyadc said:

Yeah, it just looks so fantastic, also it doesn't look better than Gears of War 2, at least not on the 360... Also your "compressed image" argument is just bullshit, the game looks horrible on 360, just horrible, Halo 2 looks better in places...

360 Compressed Image

PC Compressed Image

If you're going to use evidence as to how bad the 360 version looked at least use shots that represent the retail version. That screenshot is a prerelease shot which I distinctly remember being spammed months before the game released.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

According to my calculations, August 2, 2019 is the peak for this gen. (On a DX12 Xbox One of course)

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

According to my calculations, August 2, 2019 is the peak for this gen. (On a DX12 Xbox One of course)

A 640p Halo 6 on XBone that looks slightly better than Halo 5? On that other hand, we'll have PS4 games surpassing this in graphics.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@gpuking: Sony gave up on The Sorcerer and so should you. It was a tool of hype that was needed to boost early sales.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NyaDC

@gpuking said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

A 640p Halo 6 on XBone that looks slightly better than Halo 5? On that other hand, we'll have PS4 games surpassing this in graphics.

Pipe dreams lol, these consoles are too weak to do anything like that...