When was the last time you were N64 kid crazy about a game or system?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45415 Posts

I empathize this with this kid and his sister. I was right around the same age when this happened lol (I think). But that got me thinking.. when was I this excited about a game or system? I tend to be pretty excited about games in general, so I really don't have that problem. I just finished FF7 remake and I'm excited for next gen. But back to the point - it seems like some people in SW are jaded. That games don't excite them that much anymore. Is that true? So I ask the question - When was the last time you were N64 kid crazy about a game or system?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
Loading Video...

I empathize this with this kid and his sister. I was right around the same age when this happened lol (I think). But that got me thinking.. when was I this excited about a game or system? I tend to be pretty excited about games in general, so I really don't have that problem. I just finished FF7 remake and I'm excited for next gen. But back to the point - it seems like some people in SW are jaded. That games don't excite them that much anymore. Is that true? So I ask the question - When was the last time you were N64 kid crazy about a game or system?

Yeah, I'm pretty jaded at this point I still enjoy games and stuff but it's just not the same excitement as it was when you where a kid. The last time I was N64 crazy about a game was when Mortal Kombat 2 was coming to the SNES I was never so hyped for any game like that since. I loved going to the arcades and playing it before it came out on console I was obsessed with it. I would read gaming magazines about it and try to emulate MK fighting moves into my parents pool lol. I lost my shit when I first saw this commercial I must of rewatched it a hundred times before the game came out.

Loading Video...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46598 Posts

NINTENDO 64!!!!!!

Phew, tough question. I thought I would be excited when I bought my last Nintendo system. The switch. But I feel a bit jaded when I got home and was only interested in buying games that were on sale, lol.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25045 Posts

Nintendo 64 was overrated console that feature one of the most overrated game that was goldeneye. PC was still ahead of time that era.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34749 Posts

I think it was with the N64. :P I was basically that kid. I sadly don't get as excited by toys anymore, but was very excited by getting my own GameCube back in... 2002? Not quite N64 kid level excited, though.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44247 Posts

Nothing for me compares to 9-9-99 (NA) and picking up Sega's Dreamcast, at launch hour. It was a long afternoon knowing that bad boy was sitting in my car and I couldn't wait to get home, hook it up and game. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The Dreamcast was the peak of video games for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59290 Posts

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@warmblur: Haha. Game commercials used to be very interesting back then. I love the 90s. I'm sure a lot of people used to emulate their favorite characters. I used to love fake wrestling lol.

@R4gn4r0k said:

NINTENDO 64!!!!!!

Phew, tough question. I thought I would be excited when I bought my last Nintendo system. The switch. But I feel a bit jaded when I got home and was only interested in buying games that were on sale, lol.

Lol. Zelda didn't bring back that spark for you?

@ghosts4ever said:

Nintendo 64 was overrated console that feature one of the most overrated game that was goldeneye. PC was still ahead of time that era.

N64 had some of the best FPS games of all time: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark. Also had Turok, Duke Nukem, Quake, Doom 64. All better than your beloved Metro series.

@SecretPolice said:

Nothing for me compares to 9-9-99 (NA) and picking up Sega's Dreamcast, at launch hour. It was a long afternoon knowing that bad boy was sitting in my car and I couldn't wait to get home, hook it up and game. :D

Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ghosts4ever said:

N64 had some of the best FPS games of all time: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark. Also had Turok, Duke Nukem, Quake, Doom 64. All better than your beloved Metro series.

in that era PC had Quake and Half life which feel generation ahead of goldeneye and perfect dark. try play golden eye again and see how much it aged.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice

@SolidGame_basic:

Awesome trip down memory lane my friend, thanks. :D

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46598 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Starting my Switch up and playing Mario Kart 8 at 720p and 60fps on a handheld was pretty insane.

But I haven't tried any huge games on it yet. I've only really played it in handheld mode.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts

Hardware wise:

• The index: I was interested in VR but was waiting for something a bit more than the launch headsets. Then it was announced (with linux support to boot) and i decided to treat myself. I was following that thing for weeks afterwards.
  • Before that it was probably the wii. it was great to see something different from the norm from a console.
  • Horsepower, on it's own, doesn't really excite me any more. New traditional consoles, as systems, don't really get me too excited to be honest. I'm always interested to see how they manage to pack as much into a certain budget but at the same time i dont get that excited about them. A console has to really throw a bit of a curve ball to make me sit up and take an interest in the system itself.

Games wise:

Star citizen (well squadron 42 to be more exact). I know it's not released of course but i love the sheer ambition of it and will be right there day one if they ever get the frickin thing out the door. have the overreached? yes. is it badly managed? absolutely. will it release in a fairly rough state? probably. but It's a shining jewel in the AAA sector of the industry: a demonstration of what new tech can actually bring to a game outside of just making it prettier. we haven't had that since the PS3/360 gen with the likes of crysis. Even if it does fail it was/will be worth the shot.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic

@ghosts4ever said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ghosts4ever said:

in that era PC had Quake and Half life which feel generation ahead of goldeneye and perfect dark. try play golden eye again and see how much it aged.

I'm sure Quake and Half Life would feel aged to me as well. Point is, Goldeneye was great for its time.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I'm sure Quake and Half Life would feel aged to me as well. Point is, Goldeneye was great for its time.

They still play well unlike goldeneye which has weird aiming mechanics on controller.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

I never was n64 kid crazy about a system or it’s games

And I am a Sony fan so that might be why

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

I don't know what was the last, but i know for a fact that CP2077 and Elden Ring will be the next.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

In Perfect Dark, you can shoot the gun out of an enemy's hands and have them beg for mercy.

Can you do that in Quake? Can you do that in Half-Life?

In Perfect Dark, you can shoot out all the lights in a room and enemies can't see you anymore.

In Perfect Dark EVERY weapon has an alternate fire mode.

Is that true of Quake? Is that true of Half-Life?

In Perfect Dark, bots were not only given difficulty levels, but ALSO personalities. You could customize the AI to hoard ammo, prioritize objectives, avoid player contact, or be a bloodthirsty as possible.

In Perfect Dark, harder difficulty means your mission objectives are totally different instead of Quake and Half Life where enemies just get more bullet spongey.

I love Quake and I love Half-Life. Hell, I even prefer Half-Life to Perfect Dark. But there's no universe where Half-Life and Quake feel "a whole generation ahead" of Perfect Dark. Not a chance.

I'm sorry you started gaming a decades after most of us, but ignorance is no longer an excuse.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7284 Posts

Dreamcast Sonic Adventure.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@organic_machine said:

I'm sorry you started gaming a decades after most of us, but ignorance is no longer an excuse.

I have been gaming since 90s. and before PC gaming, i had megadrive where i played bunch of retro games then gone into PC gaming. so its wrong my friend.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice

@organic_machine:

Haven't seen you around these parts for some time?

Great post, well done. :)

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17457 Posts

Probably the Dreamcast and again when I got Shenmue.

Later with the midnight launch of Mass Effect 1 and Fable 2

I had never played Fable when the announced fable 2. I was so excited by the dev diaries that I played the first on Xbox 360. Got me so hyped....until the ending of Fable 2 of course lol.

I felt like Mass Effect was a game made specifically for me that the devs allowed others play. I grew up loving sci fi, rpgs, and Bioware. For them to make Mass effect was just amazing. Every moment of it was amazing.

Oddly enough, kotor 1 is how I discovered Gamespot. I was looking for info on the game and came across Greg Kasavin's review. Signed up immediately. Miss that guy....

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By organic_machine

@SecretPolice said:

@organic_machine:

Thanks! I've been off and on.

Aaaaaaand, wouldn't you know it, but THIS is my 10,000th post! Haha.

This is the third time I've made it to 10,000 posts (GS got rid of GameFaqs and then got rid of the private boards, so I've reached 10,000 and then had it wiped back lol).

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice

@organic_machine said:
@SecretPolice said:

@organic_machine:

Thanks! I've been off and on.

Aaaaaaand, wouldn't you know it, but THIS is my 10,000th post! Haha.

This is the third time I've made it to 10,000 posts (GS got rid of GameFaqs and then got rid of the private boards, so I've reached 10,000 and then had it wiped back lol).

:D

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9593 Posts

That excited? Probably never on the outside, but maybe with the SNES... or the PS1, or PS2 (First console I bought with my own money).

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61526 Posts

Maybe PS2? Had to go to hospital for a very minor op, and guilted the rents into buying me and my bro one.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidGame_basic

@organic_machine said:
@ghosts4ever said:

In Perfect Dark, you can shoot the gun out of an enemy's hands and have them beg for mercy.

In Perfect Dark, you can shoot out all the lights in a room and enemies can't see you anymore.

In Perfect Dark EVERY weapon has an alternate fire mode.

In Perfect Dark, bots were not only given difficulty levels, but ALSO personalities. You could customize the AI to hoard ammo, prioritize objectives, avoid player contact, or be a bloodthirsty as possible.

In Perfect Dark, harder difficulty means your mission objectives are totally different instead of Quake and Half Life where enemies just get more bullet spongey.

I love Quake and I love Half-Life. Hell, I even prefer Half-Life to Perfect Dark. But there's no universe where Half-Life and Quake feel "a whole generation ahead" of Perfect Dark. Not a chance.

Great post. Ghosts just likes to shit on console games for some weird reason.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44486 Posts

I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited as that kid, at least visibly so. I was pretty excited to get the Atari 2600 way back in the day as well as the NES and SNES when they came out. Still get excited to this day whenever I get a new console and/or games. Am pretty hyped to get the Xbox Series X when it launches.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

In terms of consoles...

The Wii. It was probably the last time I was really excited. Most of that had to do with Twilight Princess and the fact that I waited forever for it, and my hype was out of control and compounded by the fact that I preordered the game but couldn't get my hands on a Wii. I'm 34 now, I grew up with a NES and was a kid who got that NES, Genesis/SNES, N64 feeling as it happened. It was a beautiful time.

I think everyone will agree, two things have changed that N64 crazed kid feeling:

1. Becoming an adult;

2. The internet - we know way too much that nothing is surprising. Basically the mystique of a new console release is basically gone.

There are moments I feel like a kid again if I'm really "lost" in well designed, immersive world. Like Zelda Breath of the Wild felt like that. That feeling like Mario 64 of okay, I can move around and go wherever?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23725 Posts

Wasn't crazy excited as that kid (was a freshman in high school I believe), but getting a PS1 with FF7, then a N64 with OoT were pretty hype moments. Remember hanging with some buds while the new N64 and OoT were back at the house, couldn't contain my excitement to play and had to go home, they just laughed.

Can remember a few standout gaming moments before that tho.

Mortal Kombat on Genesis - Shit version of a shit game, but didn't stop my 12 year old self from being insanely hyped. ABACABB 4 lyfe. Always felt amazing when you could play an arcade game at home, no quarters.

Street Fighter 2 Champions Edition on Genesis - My first home version of SF and again, similar deal. Got this one before MK and just seemed unbelievable that I was playing Street Fighter at home. Remember my parents visited some friends before we went home. So I spent the day just reading the box and manual over and over lol.

Plenty of others before that, but can spare the details. Getting a NES, SNES, Genesis, Zelda, Double Dragon 2, etc. Finding FFVI in a used bin for $3 when the game was nearly impossible to find. Felt like I was committing a crime lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Remember thinking OOT was the greatest ever experience, gotta love those sub 20 FPS.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

The last time?

In terms of consoles: the Wii.

Games: it varies but I guess playing Batman Arkham Asylum (the demo) for the first time. Just hearing Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill voice act that game had me giddy.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By organic_machine

@sonic_spark said:

There are moments I feel like a kid again if I'm really "lost" in well designed, immersive world. Like Zelda Breath of the Wild felt like that. That feeling like Mario 64 of okay, I can move around and go wherever?

I'm glad you mentioned this. There are four games in my life that gave me *that* feeling. Myst, Super Mario 64, Minecraft, and BOTW.

@SolidGame_basic said:

Great post. Ghosts just likes to shit on console games for some weird reason.

The frustrating thing about arguing with him is that he and I actually share very similar taste. PC FPS are my bread and butter. If anything, the fact that I am able to praise certain console FPS should make him at least a little curious to TRY some of the games I talk about (or at least not blindly s*** all over them).

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I wasnt crazy for N64 but I know what you mean. For me I was Sega Megadrive crazy for the HTC Vive.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Duke Nukem forever. It still hurts to this day.

Though I'm pretty excited to be able to get the ps5 day 1 this time around.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11256 Posts

I remember being excited for Xbox One once. After that reveal tho' (and everything since)...

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

@ghosts4ever: GoldenEye had a solid campaign. Probably one of the most memorable ever

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21705 Posts

Probably the Saturn, since that was a a surprise present.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Omfg you're like a broken record... we get it, anything that was even slightly popular, is "overrated" to you. Damn you're boring.

Anyway, the most excited I ever was for a console was probably PS1 back in the day. I got it for Christmas with Time Crisis and the gun peripheral. It was so cool.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

December 21st 2019 the night I got my Nintendo Switch Lite.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Probably not since Christmas '95 when I got the PS1 for Christmas. I find that while I have excitement for new systems, since I've been old enough to buy it myself, I don't get overly excited anymore.

My excitement in gaming has become far less over the years as well. I was incredibly excited for Uncharted 4 but not nearly as much as I was for Uncharted 2. U4 is the last time I was really excited for anything really.

I will say the surprise of my wife getting me a PSVR for Christmas a couple years back was pretty exhilarating but not too previous levels of excitement.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4198 Posts

I mean in terms of a physically demonstrative amount of excitement, probably never. But in terms of being that significantly pumped, probably the release of the Switch and Breath of the Wild.

It was a combination of it being my favorite game series of all time releasing the same week of my birthday, in which I had already taken a week off work. I did absolutely nothing but play that game for 7 days straight.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9430 Posts

Hmm I don't really get excited for console hardware anymore. They're just PCs now so they are much less interesting than they were when all the hardware was custom because normal PC hardware wasn't built for things like smooth scrolling and sprites.

That said, I'm glad those days are over because our tool set for game development has become so awesome. We can achieve way more that we could if we had to learn new custom hardware for each console.

My PC has been 2020 next-gen for at least 5 years, so no, modern consoles don't do it for me. Now I really only get that excited for new display technology. I expect similar levels of giddiness when I can finally get a micro LED display.

In a few months I will be getting a Valve Index so I'm really excited for that. That falls into the display category. I'm gonna play all the dope cockpit games I always wanted a triple display setup for; and HL Alyx, or course.

I tried the triple display thing in a few games, it's actually awful because of the viewport angle rendering causing stretching of the left and right displays. I think since VR and 10-series Nvidia GPUs there is actually a way to render each viewport at a different angle, but meh - VR is better.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic

@Random_Matt said:

Remember thinking OOT was the greatest ever experience, gotta love those sub 20 FPS.

I don't know about you, but back then I didn't notice any of that lol. Ignorance is bliss.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Waiting for my 3DFX Voodoo to arrive before Quake II was released. All those colored lights...