When was nintendo's peak?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By inb4uall

Poll When was nintendo's peak? (92 votes)

NES 10%
SNES/Gameboy 49%
N64/Gameboy color 16%
Gamecube/Gameboy Advance 8%
Wii/DS 14%
Current Day (Wii U/3DS) 3%

I'm interested in the division among nintendo fans and their favorite consoles.

inb4 this isn't a SW topic. It's just a civil war instead of a war against other factions.

• 
ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#51  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Nintendo saved the gaming industry with the NES and continued to kick ass with the Gameboy and the SNES.

@ShepardCommandr said:

SNES

It all went donwhil after that

You're a wise man. +1

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@g0ddyX said:

Men and gamers = SNES/GB/N64

Kids and casuals = Wii/3DS

I think I encountered 1 person during the SNES/Genesis era who played console video games over the age of 20 during that entire era.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#53 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

You're just making excuses so you won't actually say you don't want a WiiU. Simple. and We get it. It's not hard. WiiU is weak, it's not getting the big blockbuster games. There's no Titanfall or Second Son on that console so why bother? You don't want to wait till next year or Fall for Watchdogs, you want it now, And those are valid reasons to not get a WiiU. WiiU is weak, WiiU doesn't have the same Online Community the PS4 and X1 has. So go ahead and say that. WiiU is not the machine for you. If it was you would have already gotten one.

This is the best thing I've seen on here in months.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@g0ddyX said:

I think I encountered 1 person during the SNES/Genesis era who played console video games over the age of 20 during that entire era.

Yup. The thing is, of course, that you and I were actually alive and playing video games back then. G0ddyX clearly wasn't.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

After the snes shit went down hill fast it came back some during the GC era but not Nintendo is just dead.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts
@LordQuorthon said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@g0ddyX said:

Yup. The thing is, of course, that you and I were actually alive and playing video games back then. G0ddyX clearly wasn't.

I guess you both missed out on logic.
People who grew up with SNES era are older than the new kiddy fans of the Wii era.
Hence old Nintendo fans have moved onto playing games and progressing on elsewhere from different developers instead of the casual and same old formula as they are doing year by year.
Old Nintendo will always be better than New Nintendo.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#57  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Sony's peak was with the PS2, and MS's peak was right before the release of the Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Despite selling a ton of plastic, the wii had the crappiest library, so scratch that era. You cannot peak, when the competition breaks every record, so forget about the gc era. N64 just all around sucked. Snes, despite having a solid library, barely outsold the genesis, and a lot of multi plats were better on the genesis.

Nes outsold the competition by a huge margin, and had some of nintendos best games. That is where my vote goes.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#59 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think Nintendo is still a company that puts out great games, but the GBA and DS are both handhelds that have yet to be outdone. Although 3DS looks like it's trying its hardest.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They haven't reached it yet. Every new game they release almost always rewrites the book on it's particular genre and the franchise it is a part of.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@joehult said:

Despite selling a ton of plastic, the wii had the crappiest library, so scratch that era. You cannot peak, when the competition breaks every record, so forget about the gc era. N64 just all around sucked. Snes, despite having a solid library, barely outsold the genesis, and a lot of multi plats were better on the genesis.

Nes outsold the competition by a huge margin, and had some of nintendos best games. That is where my vote goes.

According to Gamerankings, two of the greatest games of all time was on the Wii, and Ocarina of Times was on the N64. Don't let your nostalgia colour your views when Nintendo's prime haven't even plateaued during the NES.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I voted Wii/DS since together at the same time both systems had peak performances more units than any other console or handheld in Nintendo's history... but, many people said SNES, which is also a good choice since in its time Nintendo and SEGA evenly split the market without any worthy rivals.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

I'm gonna go with the SNES era. Although I love Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Metroid Prime, the kid in me won't let me choose anything other than the SNES. I don't know, I feel that you could choose any console generation and find amazing Nintendo games in each one, but the SNES had the best library overall (of any console), but then we're not talking about just Nintendo anymore.

Hmm, Metroid Prime is pretty amazing though... GameCube era?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

GC/GBA was the beginning of the downfall for Nintendo.

They just got lucky with the Wii because of soccer moms and fox news advertising it for family games. SNES and N64 were like Nintendo's best consoles when it came to games. SNES by far by favorite console of all time.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#65  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I liked Nintendo in its SNES era, but i have no idea if they made the most money then. I'm thinking they probably are doing really well off their handhelds.

nintendo gameboy advance, DS, 3DS seemed really successful over their runs... i have a DS but never didn't get into the other ones.

Nintendo has to put out a system that can graphically beat or at least match the current ones. The whole reason I liked SNES so much was it was graphically superior to the Genesis and other crappy systems at the time.

Developers these days don't want to make games on a system that won't make their games look good. Nintendo needs a system to bring everyone back to them making games again... current big developers cringe when they look at the wii u.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

game wise SNES/game boy...sales success wise wii/ds. the monstrous sales for the wii and ds catapulted nintendo into "we can afford 3 failed consoles in a row" range.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#67 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: Don't mistake 3rd party support for Nintendo's peak. The games on the Wii (Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, DKCR, Kriby Epic Yarn, Mario Kart Wii, NSMBWii) is far more impressive considering the change in how 3rd party publishers work (PS360 still had bigger marketshares than the Wii alone).

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Probably the SNES(including imports), purely in terms of games. You've got a massive library of high quality games with beautiful 2D sprite work that will forever age well. The 5th generation is a very close one. Nintendo's 1st party was revolutionary, and Rare was factually at their peak.