When are you entering Next Gen?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: When are you entering Next Gen? (97 votes)

I already did with Wii U (that's right, it's 8th gen, deal with it haterz) 13%
I got PS4 and/or XB1 pre-ordered, so it's just weeks away for me 27%
Not day 1, but will get fairly soon (2-5 months from launch) 19%
As soon as PS4/XB1 gets a price drop, I'm in 6%
PC the the definitive generation 29%
Waiting for that Dreamcast 2 3%
I'm still gaming on Super Nintendo and 3DO, and I'm fine with that 2%
Video games? Generations? Oh please, stick and hoop is timeless baby!! 1%

So, with all this talk about pre-orders, and which system will sell out sooner, and just that general anticipation of the new systems about to hit our shelves, I thought I'd get a pulse on who's taking the plunge and who's waiting.

Myself, I've never been an early adopter. I generally don't like buying systems at their highest price point and especially when their library is yet to be defined. I find that by the time a console hits it's first price drop, you have so much more game selection to fill your collection with. To me it's better to pay less for more, than more for less.

But I know plenty of you are eager beavers, and not 1 day more can be tolerated to have to wait. So how are you taking your steps into the 8th gen?

#1 Edited by MonsieurX (31188 posts) -

Already did with the Wii U and got a PC that pwns X1\PS4 anyway

#2 Edited by clyde46 (46997 posts) -

I voted PC but I'm seriously torn between waiting as there isn't many games or getting a PS4 because it will be my first ever launch console.

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (41919 posts) -

Already did with the WiiU.

PS4 will come later when it actually has something worth spending 400euros on. Xbox One isn't even on my mind because it's not releasing here this year.

#4 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I entered it in 2007

As for the Fischer Price toys you guys call "consoles"? Mmmmmmm, doubt I'll ever get one. Far too expensive for me. I can only afford to game on PC.

#5 Posted by clyde46 (46997 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Already did with the WiiU.

PS4 will come later when it actually has something worth spending 400euros on. Xbox One isn't even on my mind because it's not releasing here this year.

Lol Belgium.

#6 Posted by AdobeArtist (22982 posts) -

@freedomfreak: DAT siggie :o

From the Animatrix if I'm not mistaken?

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (41919 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@freedomfreak: DAT siggie :o

From the Animatrix if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, indeed!

#8 Posted by gameofthering (10398 posts) -

I came in to vote for PC then I saw Dreamcast 2!

I can dream about another Dreamcast :(

#9 Posted by lundy86_4 (43887 posts) -

As soon as possible.

#10 Posted by mems_1224 (47830 posts) -

Im waiting until after E3 next year when we'll have a better understanding of what each console is gonna do.

#11 Posted by Cyberdot (3539 posts) -

Games are £50 for PS4 and X1, I think I'm gonna stay away.

PC gaming is even cheaper in next-gen.

#12 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

I'm tempted to buy a PS4 around launch, now that I've accumulated enough extra cash on the side, but I think I'll use it to buy some more animu box sets or figurines. <3

With that said, I probably won't be getting into next gen until the end of 2014. Maybe.

#13 Posted by gameofthering (10398 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

Are they really going to stay at that price? I thought they would've reduced them by now at least.

#14 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

Already did since Wii U is technically next gen. I'll be entering the actual worthy console next gen with the PS4 on Nov 15th. I have a recently built rig with up to date GPU / CPU etc...that I built a little over 2 months ago also.

#15 Posted by Bigboi500 (30419 posts) -

#16 Posted by PSP107 (12089 posts) -

when its worth it. Usually new systems take of their 2nd/3rd year. No reason to upgrade now. BC would of help though.

#17 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

You may think you were making a joke AA, but with the 3DO having more games than the Nintendo 64 to play it is very possible. Combine that with the Super Nintendo? Wow.

#18 Posted by Cyberdot (3539 posts) -

@gameofthering said:

@Cyberdot said:

Are they really going to stay at that price? I thought they would've reduced them by now at least.

Yep.

£53 for DriveClub and inFamous: Second Son.

Amazon isn't the only one. I was browsing through Argos Christmas catalog, and they are £50 - £55 as well.

#19 Edited by clyde46 (46997 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

@gameofthering said:

@Cyberdot said:

Yep.

Amazon isn't the only one. I was browsing through Argos Christmas catalog, and they are £50 - £55 as well.

Games last gen started out at £50.

#20 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Nov. 22

#21 Posted by musicalmac (23250 posts) -

Oculus Rift. That's when.

#22 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3713 posts) -

Probably sometime next year.

#23 Posted by AdobeArtist (22982 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

You mean the new Virtual Boy?

Oh I kid, I kid ;P

Also, delicious new sig :)

#24 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

Couldn't resist clicking Dreamcast 2...

#25 Edited by foxhound_fox (89865 posts) -

I already did when I bought a laptop that could run modern games.

But when it comes to consoles, when I buy a Wii U.

#26 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5686 posts) -

November 15, 2013

#27 Edited by p3anut (5969 posts) -

When X comes out.

#28 Posted by gameofthering (10398 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@gameofthering said:

@Cyberdot said:

Yep.

Are you sure?

I can't seem to remember paying that much for games when I got the 360. I'm sure I'd have had a heart attack if I saw that price lol

#29 Posted by Snugenz (12327 posts) -

WiiU and a high end PC, i think i may just be there already.

#30 Posted by musicalmac (23250 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@musicalmac said:

You mean the new Virtual Boy?

Oh I kid, I kid ;P

Also, delicious new sig :)

Thanks, friend. That sig was created with ancient digital tools in the mid 90s by artist Craig Mullins. This particular image is from, as you may have already guessed, one of the Marathon titles, heh. He did a lot of art for Bungie during their early years and into the Halo years.

Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Also, Rift will blow away everything MS and Sony have done by leaps and bounds. It'll make consoles games boring until they gain Rift support. No question.

#31 Edited by clyde46 (46997 posts) -

@gameofthering said:

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@gameofthering said:

@Cyberdot said:

Yep.

Are you sure?

I can't seem to remember paying that much for games when I got the 360. I'm sure I'd have had a heart attack if I saw that price lol

Yep, when the 360 first launched, games were indeed £50. That is, I believe still the RRP, its retailers that have decided to charge £40 as it seems to have been generally accepted.

#32 Edited by Cyberdot (3539 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@gameofthering said:

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@gameofthering said:

@Cyberdot said:

Yep.

Are you sure?

Yep, when the 360 first launched, games were indeed £50. That is, I believe still the RRP, its retailers that have decided to charge £40 as it seems to have been generally accepted.

I still wouldn't spend £40 for a game these days.

PC is cheaper.

#33 Posted by clyde46 (46997 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

@clyde46 said:

@gameofthering said:

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@gameofthering said:

@Cyberdot said:

Yep.

Are you sure?

PC is cheaper.

I've only ever paid full price for a PC game 3 times. The rest of the games in my Steam collection have been bought when on sale.

#34 Edited by Cyberdot (3539 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@clyde46 said:

@gameofthering said:

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@gameofthering said:

@Cyberdot said:

Yep.

Are you sure?

PC is cheaper.

I've only ever paid full price for a PC game 3 times. The rest of the games in my Steam collection have been bought when on sale.

My confidence in games is not as high as it was in the old days. You know... dudebros are in it now.

But anyway, on a positive side - it saves me money.

#35 Posted by glez13 (8919 posts) -

Hopefully sometime next year.

#36 Posted by nutcrackr (12775 posts) -

None of these options really apply to me. I would get them if there are games that are appealing. Probably not just one game though, so maybe 2015.

#37 Edited by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

November 29th

Cod ghosts

Knack

NBA2K14

Usually i dislike these type of games, especially nba, but i have taken a different approach to the next generation.

#38 Posted by roulettethedog (11021 posts) -

Next Gen bleh. Forced to buy a new console ,so you can play Call of Duty 27??? I'll stay with P.C till enough exclusive games force me to buy a PS4/Xbox 1.

#39 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8963 posts) -

3 weeks.

#40 Edited by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -

2014-15

#41 Posted by Big_Pecks (5496 posts) -

Not until next year at the earliest. I don't really care for what's out or coming out soon.

#42 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

Probably some time between next spring and fall. We'll see what games come out by then. If there aren't many then there's no point since there are more than enough games in my backlog to hold me over for a while.

#43 Edited by M8ingSeezun (2020 posts) -

Around summer 2014.

Not really ready to jump on PS4 yet. My PS3 is still hot and running.

#44 Posted by da_illest101 (7605 posts) -

When final fantasy 15, mirror's edge or the next gen gta comes out

#45 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

Been there for quite a while now.

#46 Posted by getyeryayasout (7962 posts) -

Probably a year/year and a half after launch.

#47 Posted by Arthas045 (5399 posts) -

I have a PC that a really enjoy gaming on, but torn on the X1 for Killer Instinct. There is not a lot of future fighting game titles announced, but all my friends game on PS3.... So in turn they will probably get a PS4. I think once Destiny comes out I will grab a PS4 and may pick up a X1 for late Xmas present.

LIFE IS TOUGH!!!!

#48 Posted by Couth_ (10208 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

Games are £50 for PS4 and X1,

Yikes..As for the OP, Xb0ne and ps4 day one

#49 Posted by munkeypoo45 (3220 posts) -

probably spring 14 or summer 14

#50 Edited by Blabadon (27671 posts) -

Already did with the 3DS and Vita.

Beyond that, it's really between:

1) Buying a PS4, enjoying Killzone, and expecting the same solid support Sony gives its consoles over the years. Enjoy Remote Play and the convenience of using a console while already having PS+ all for $400.

2) Waiting for a price drop on the better-looking Xbox One and probably buy a few controllers because at least it'll have split-screen games. Probably will have to buy XBLG again and then enjoy games like Titanfall and beyod that, multiplats.

3) Save up for an actual good PC, give up on all the best aspects of console gaming entirely, wonder why I didn't stick with consoles whenever I have to deal with like, 28305 different applications like Steam, Origins, UPlay, etc.