When are we gonna be able to Replicate Water properly?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

I'm not talking about these Nvidia tech demos that take one $1,000 Graphic card to simulate a cube of water. I'm talking about in game along with all these wind systems, global lighting, particle systems, physics and collisions.. but water is so far behind in tech. It's 2014 and we still have in-game rivers, creeks that move like the pre-rendered waves of an ocean. Water fall into a river yet the river is as still as a puddle.

Tomb Raider was the closest current gen game I've played that did their best to pre-bake water currents around rocks to make it seems like it's flowing around objects. Why can't we focus on teh Water?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

haven't you been told more than once now to not make threads?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@epic-gamerz said:

I'm not talking about these Nvidia tech demos that take one $1,000 Graphic card to simulate a cube of water. I'm talking about in game along with all these wind systems, global lighting, particle systems, physics and collisions.. but water is so far behind in tech. It's 2014 and we still have in-game rivers, creeks that move like the pre-rendered waves of an ocean. Water fall into a river yet the river is as still as a puddle.

Tomb Raider was the closest current gen game I've played that did their best to pre-bake water currents around rocks to make it seems like it's flowing around objects. Why can't we focus on teh Water?

Real time fluid physics takes alot of processing power. which is why games are few and far between when it comes to real time physics. One game that comes to mind that has some good water physics is Cryostasis which uses Nvidia's physx

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

TC, please don't make me have to tell you again. When you get to 500 posts you can create threads. Not before.