Whelp, looks like console optimization is real

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

You can beat around the bush all you want, fact is that the PS4 gpu is stronger then the X1's. now until the end of the generation that gap will still be there. No matter the state of the "drivers" fact is that the hardware physically is able to do more. And that cloud computing is a joke for user end usage. Its no different from comparing one gpu series one lower end model vs the other higher end model. Fact is that the stronger gpu will always be able to render more and or have better performance

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

Tomb Raider Fraud Edition is 60 FPS on the PS4.

With TressFX 2.0 on, AMD 7850 runs the game at 30 FPS.

A touch of education on what optimising a game includes will do you a world of good.

Let's start off by bring to your attention TressFX being a different version will include various cuts to the strand count and the general amount of calculations (things like collisions), allowing it to use less processing time.

General tweaks to things which can include lowering shadow quality, lowering tesselation or turning it off completely, using different methods of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, tweaks to things like LoD and occlusion culling, using lower quality ambient occlusion and depth of field. Any number of these things can be tweaked to result in better performance. This is not something which is only possible on console hardware.And before you mention it, yes I'm aware of the little enhancements they've added (like subsurface scattering on skin, very very basic physics to objects attatched to the model and making tree models move more) however none of these would conceivably present a much noticable performance hit.

In short, the things mentioned above are not synonymous with consoles or requiring of console hardware to be performed. Things like this can be done more if a developer has the opportunity to go back to the game and work on it again because they're spending time on it again to revise it.

We don't call you naive console gamers for nothing.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

You can beat around the bush all you want, fact is that the PS4 gpu is stronger then the X1's. now until the end of the generation that gap will still be there. No matter the state of the "drivers" fact is that the hardware physically is able to do more. And that cloud computing is a joke for user end usage. Its no different from comparing one gpu series one lower end model vs the other higher end model. Fact is that the stronger gpu will always be able to render more and or have better performance

I'm not beating around the bush. i stated several times that the PS4 has a better GPU. I just pointed out that the GPU alone isn't the sole decider of "more powerful" and that saying the PS4 is 50% more powerful then the X1 is highly inaccurate. And what you are missing is that a chain is only as good as its weakest link. if one link can handle 500lbs but one link only handles 20, the chain isn't pulling more then 20lbs. there is always a bottleneck. both systems have them and nobody accounts for that in their comparisons

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#104 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Almost forgot, "60 FPS" on consoles means "up to 60 FPS" they never give you the average because they rarely ever release benchmarks of console hardware. For PR purposes they tell naive console idiots "it's 60 FPS."

(I'm not saying TR won't maintain 60 FPS well, I'm just putting perspective on the shit console gamers believe readily)

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 darkangel115

@-Unreal- said:

Almost forgot, "60 FPS" on consoles means "up to 60 FPS" they never give you the average because they rarely ever release benchmarks of console hardware. For PR purposes they tell naive console idiots "it's 60 FPS."

(I'm not saying TR won't maintain 60 FPS well, I'm just putting perspective on the shit console gamers believe readily)

like KZ:SF where it was really 45FPS that spiked to 60 occasionally?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#106 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@-Unreal- said:

This is true. BF4, COD, Killzone all claim "60 fps" but you got to digital foundry and it's really only 60fps when nothing is going on with dips as low as the 20s and averages in the low to mid 50s. Meanwhile on PC i play BF4 at a rock solid 60fps with not a single dip in frames at a higher setting than next gen consoles. Ok I lie I've seen it drop to 58 before...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

@-Unreal- said:

This is true. BF4, COD, Killzone all claim "60 fps" but you got to digital foundry and it's really only 60fps when nothing is going on with dips as low as the 20s and averages in the low to mid 50s. Meanwhile on PC i play BF4 at a rock solid 60fps with not a single dip in frames at a higher setting than next gen consoles. Ok I lie I've seen it drop to 58 before...

Knack dipped to 14fps. lol!! It's funny because Mark Cerny created the architecture for the PS4, yet couldn't even make a damn game run at a steady 30fps on the hardware. Very sad.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By 04dcarraher

@darkangel115 said:

@04dcarraher said:

I'm not beating around the bush. i stated several times that the PS4 has a better GPU. I just pointed out that the GPU alone isn't the sole decider of "more powerful" and that saying the PS4 is 50% more powerful then the X1 is highly inaccurate. And what you are missing is that a chain is only as good as its weakest link. if one link can handle 500lbs but one link only handles 20, the chain isn't pulling more then 20lbs. there is always a bottleneck. both systems have them and nobody accounts for that in their comparisons

Already know the PS4 isnt 50% more powerful and have already stated it. Both systems overall is very close besides the gpu which is the primary device used for the rendering abilities and the X1 falls behind. Its really not that different comparing a Pc with all the same parts besides the gpu which does determines the overall gaming ability of the system. The performance ratio between the 7850 and 7870 is very much like these consoles. the console with the stronger gpu can run said game at 1080 with 58fps while the other at 1080 can only do 47, so they lower the resolution to achieve the 60 fps.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 darkangel115

@04dcarraher said:

@darkangel115 said:

@04dcarraher said:

Already know the PS4 isnt 50% more powerful and have already stated it. Both systems overall is very close besides the gpu which is the primary device used for the rendering abilities and the X1 falls behind. Its really not that different comparing a Pc with all the same parts besides the gpu which does determines the overall gaming ability of the system. The performance ratio between the 7850 and 7870 is very much like these consoles. the console with the stronger gpu can run said game at 1080 with 58fps while the other at 1080 can only do 47, so they lower the resolution to achieve the 60 fps.

but it is very different from comparing the 2. its why when they benchmark they use the same OS, same game engine, etc etc. Its also like comparing 2 devices with different drivers. neither GPU is hitting 100% of their capability yet and never will, the one that can get games to get the most out of the hardware via game engines, directx/openGL/drivers/OS will be the one that winds up running games better. In the end, the parity will be similar.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 04dcarraher

@darkangel115 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@darkangel115 said:

@04dcarraher said:

but it is very different from comparing the 2. its why when they benchmark they use the same OS, same game engine, etc etc. Its also like comparing 2 devices with different drivers. neither GPU is hitting 100% of their capability yet and never will, the one that can get games to get the most out of the hardware via game engines, directx/openGL/drivers/OS will be the one that winds up running games better. In the end, the parity will be similar.

Until we see the X1 and PS4 run games at same resolution and virtually same settings and framerate averages there is a noticeable difference between them.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 darkangel115

@04dcarraher:

That only works if everything else is identical.

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan3
BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 BattlefieldFan3
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

@04dcarraher:

That only works if everything else is identical.

PS4 has a better CPU, RAM-type, RAM design, GPU and OS.

PS4 installs games faster than Xbone. PSN is faster than XBL.

Cry more.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

The PS4 version of Tomb Raider uses a toned down version of TressFX that is not as demanding as the PC version.

You cannot really do a direct comparison of frame rate because the settings are different for both platforms.

Also the PS4 uses a GPU that is a little bit more powerful than a regular clocked 7850.

Although a well oced 7850 will perform better.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@lostrib said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

What are the equivalent settings? Like lostrib has pointed out, without those settings, any meaningful comparison is moot.

Also need to know if the TressFX is equivalent between both versions

I heard it wasn't--that they significantly toned it down for consoles....which quite frankly is good. 60fps is far better than maxed out TressFX. It was a stupid feature with crap physics.

Yeah, i turned it off, it was not worth the performance hit for stupid hair. It had weird physics, and it would clip through everything, and it seemed like it had strange lighting at times

It only look and performed well on my end until I got my 7970, my old 570 couldnt do it. Made the physics **** up

After the updates TressFX ran fine on my GTX 570 but there was a bit of a drop in fps with it enabled.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 darkangel115

@BattlefieldFan3:

Or you can cry cause I have both and you can only afford one ;)

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By BattlefieldFan3

@darkangel115 said:

@BattlefieldFan3:

No one who has both would prefer the xbone. Keep lying and crying.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

@Suppaman100: The last guy who told me I should listen to him that he's worked in IT for that long didn't believe me that Serial ATA and SATA were the same thing... this was a customer that I got while working at staples when I was in college. He just bragged he has a degree in IT and has been working in it for years.

Load of BS since he didn't know that and insisted I was wrong and it wouldn't work.

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By BattlefieldFan3

@ryangcnx-2 said:

@Suppaman100: The last guy who told me I should listen to him that he's worked in IT for that long didn't believe me that Serial ATA and SATA were the same thing... this was a customer that I got while working at staples when I was in college. He just bragged he has a degree in IT and has been working in it for years.

Load of BS since he didn't know that and insisted I was wrong and it wouldn't work.

LOL... It's quite funny, isn't it? There's this term in psychology that I don't quite remember, but it states that incompetent people don't realize how little they actually know, because their stupidity impedes them from realizing their own incompetence.

IT is a pretty broad field and it ranges from highly complex topics like computer engineering all the way down to remedial crap like installing software on desktops. Most people in the former would say they worked as a software/computer engineer. They wouldn't say they have 10+ years in IT. That's what remedial IT people say to make themselves look smarter than they really are.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@darkangel115 said:

@BattlefieldFan3:

People have differing tastes

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 BattlefieldFan3

@lostrib said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@darkangel115 said:

@BattlefieldFan3:

Stop using this stupid excuse. In terms of features, there is very little separating the two machines. The only thing the Xbone has that the PS4 doesn't is the ability to watch TV, which is a useless feature for anyone who wants a gaming console. Tests even showed that PS4 voice commands are better than Xbone voice commands.

In every other metric, the PS4 executes far better than the Xbone.

- Faster installs

- Better graphics

- Faster download speeds

- Better exclusives

- OS that doesn't lag

- Better multitasking

- Faster browser

- etc

There is no reason why anyone should prefer the xbone unless they're a butthurt xboner 360 user from last-gen who hates SONY AKA mems, RR360DD and WeakDeadLift.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@lostrib said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@darkangel115 said:

@BattlefieldFan3:

Stop using this stupid excuse. In terms of features, there is very little separating the two machines. The only thing the Xbone has that the PS4 doesn't is the ability to watch TV, which is a useless feature for anyone who wants a gaming console. Tests even showed that PS4 voice commands are better than Xbone voice commands.

- Faster installs

- Better graphics

- Faster download speeds

- Better exclusives

- OS that doesn't lag

- Better multitasking

- Faster browser

- etc

There is no reason why anyone should prefer the xbone unless they're a butthurt xboner 360 user from last-gen who hates SONY AKA mems, RR360DD and WeakDeadLift.

Or perhaps there are features or games on the X1 that they prefer

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By BattlefieldFan3

@lostrib said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@lostrib said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@darkangel115 said:

@BattlefieldFan3:

- Faster installs

- Better graphics

- Faster download speeds

- Better exclusives

- OS that doesn't lag

- Better multitasking

- Faster browser

- etc

Or perhaps there are features or games on the X1 that they prefer

LOL like what?

Immaturelo 5? Shotguns of Snore 4?

Games on the Xbone have writing that make teletubbies look sophisticated. Whenever I play Xbox exclusives, my face goes red in embarrassment because the games are just so corny. When you're 20+ years of age, I don't want to listen to kiddie crap about being the "chosen one" and being some super soldier destined to save the universe. The only people who enjoy these types of games are 8-year-olds who pretend to be superman by wearing a towel behind their backs while running around mommy's house. Xboners need to grow up.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By darkangel115

@lostrib:

Features and more importantly I like the launch games better cause that means more to me. And the better online play

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 BattlefieldFan3

@darkangel115 said:

@lostrib:

Features and more importantly I like the launch games better cause that means more to me. And the better online play

And this is why I know you're full of crap. XBL gaming is mostly P2P.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 darkangel115

@BattlefieldFan3: your post reeks of immaturity I doubt your older then 12 no adult would act like you

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By BattlefieldFan3

@darkangel115 said:

@BattlefieldFan3: your post reeks of immaturity I doubt your older then 12 no adult would act like you

Are you insinuating that your tech knowledge is no greater than a 12-year-old?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By darkangel115

@BattlefieldFan3:

Faster installs? I have 0 discs

Better graphics? Ryse

Faster downloads? Not even close

Better exclusives? Not in my opinion

so that doesn't lag? They both lag

Better multitasking? Um no ps4 doesn't even have suspend resume

Faster browser? Not even close plus ie lets you play html5 games

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 BattlefieldFan3

@darkangel115 said:

@BattlefieldFan3:

Faster installs? I have 0 discs

Better graphics? Ryse

Faster downloads? Not even close

Better exclusives? Not in my opinion

so that doesn't lag? They both lag

Better multitasking? Um no ps4 doesn't even have suspend resume

Faster browser? Not even close plus ie lets you play html5 games

1) If you have 0 disks, then you're downloading off Microsoft's dial-up XBL server, which would take even longer.

2) Ryse could run better on the PS4.

3) Dude. I know you don't have the PS4. Stop f*cking lying to pretend to be impartial. I have both f*cking consoles and XBL's download speed is WAY lower than PSN on current-gen consoles. It's pretty much a consensus here on System Wars by BOTH cows and lemmings alike. The only person in here who states otherwise for no reason other than for fanboy convenience is you.

4) Xbone exclusives are for 8-year-old preteen trash.

5) PS4 OS doesn't lag. It's silky smooth. I can install 8 games and once while browsing the web and there's not a single hiccup. The Xbone can't even handle 1 install before lagging like a mofo.

6) Again, you're taking the facts I'm spouting that point to PS4 superiority and saying the opposite because it's convenient for your fanboy rhetoric.

http://www.gameguyz.com/news/game-vendor/browser-speed-comparison-of-ps4-and-xbox-one.html

The second test used Kracken, a JavaScript performance benchmark created by Mozilla that measures the speed of several different test cases extracted from real-world applications and libraries. This gave the PS4 a score of 22,768.70 whilst the Xbox One was around five times slower with a rating of 111,892.50.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 darkangel115

@BattlefieldFan3: and some people prefer p2p

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BattlefieldFan3

@darkangel115 said:

And it costs MS $0 to run a P2P network. Why are they charging you for multiplayer access?

I know with SONY, $50/year (I pay $30) will be used for dedicated servers on 1st party games and better online infrastructure so that I can hit my download speed cap when I'm downloading things on PSN.

What is MS doing with your money? The servers are still slow as shit and I'm lucky to be hitting half of my download speed cap.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Whelp.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By darkangel115

@BattlefieldFan3: my bad meant pvp, ms has 300k servers for xbl. Titan alpha ran smoother then any other game I ever played. Their servers are the best in gaming period. How many does sony have?

And why is kHz p2p yet Forza and titanfall on dedis? And you don't own an x1 so stop lying. Your the biggest sony fan here

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@darkangel115 said:

And it costs MS $0 to run a P2P network. Why are they charging you for multiplayer access?

I know with SONY, $50/year (I pay $30) will be used for dedicated servers on 1st party games and better online infrastructure so that I can hit my download speed cap when I'm downloading things on PSN.

What is MS doing with your money? The servers are still slow as shit and I'm lucky to be hitting half of my download speed cap.

top lel

KZ:SF isn't even running complete dedicated servers

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@darkangel115 said:

top lel

KZ:SF isn't even running complete dedicated servers

KZ3 didn't either, apparently.

How did cows even get away with that lie for so long? Maybe it's because nobody plays Killzone?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Also,why would Sony need to charge for multiplayer now if they didn't before?

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#136 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Just like mr carmack said, x2 the performance with optimizing. But there is still the secret sauce, which is Sony first party studios which will go beyond that.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#137  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

If this proves console optimization was real then the XBOX One version will run well too. All this proves is that developers take more care in ensuring a game runs well on some systems than they do on others ...and there is much more evidence of that from Sonys last console vs 360 multiplats.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Lol. Console optimization is real ? HAHAHAHAHAHA *Laughs for half an hour. With a great effort stops laughing. Clears the eyes*

I ran Tomb Raider on my 5 year old PC (3-year old GPU) at the settings close to ultra, at full HD, with TressFx on, at about 50FPS.

My buid was

Quad Core 2.93 GHZ

6GB of DDR2

Radeon 5870 1GB

The specs that were quite inferior to PS4 specs. So basically PS4 runs the game as good as my ass old PC. Good job.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

Tomb Raider Fraud Edition is 60 FPS on the PS4.

With TressFX 2.0 on, AMD 7850 runs the game at 30 FPS.

Where can I download Tomb Raider with TressFX 2.0 for the PC?

Square Enix's Thief reboot has AMD Mantle + TruAudio support.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@HaloinventedFPS said:

PS4 has a 7970M with 8 ACE's, it's a above a 7850

7870 runs TR at 1080p/60fps on Very high with FXAA, it's not TresFX 2.0 btw

AMD Temash SoC's IGP has 4 ACEs.

AMD Kaveri 7850K APU's IGP has 8 ACEs.

AMD R9-290/R9-290X has 8 ACEs.

PS4's IGP is within latest GCN generation.