What's The Most Egregious Example Of Game-Padding You've Ever Seen?

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by black_chamber99 (1696 posts) -

you know when its obvious the dev wants to artificially lengthen the experience by adding in all these horrible time-wasting techniques like backtracking, fetch quests, making you fight the same bosses you've already beaten again and again, etc.

to me one of the worst examples of game-padding was the first witcher. a more appropriate name for it should have been fetch quest: the game

#2 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -
DMC4 comes to mind. Horrible padding.
#3 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23763 posts) -

the most recent and horribly cheap thing i have seen is the end of zombiu where they turn off all the fast travel and make you re-travel across the entire game at the very end.

#4 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11857 posts) -

Xenoblade has some really bad side-quests. Go find these items that may be scattered all across the map, fight five of these enemies that are variations of another enemy, kill enough of this enemy so that a rare item might pop out.

#5 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Off the top of my head, resource mining in ME2 and fetch quests in ME3, I found both very pointless and annoying...

#6 Posted by clyde46 (46294 posts) -
Skyrim. So many fetch quests.
#7 Posted by Articuno76 (18823 posts) -

The first few Yakuza games have many parts where you just run from one side of the map to another trying to find someone; you follow a lead that takes you to the other side of the map only to find that the person is now in another location (now on the other-other side of the map) (repeat several times). There are no plot developments along the way, nothing happens except moving from a to b...only to find out that once you get to b you are back at a again. The Windwaker Triforce quest (well, at least the money-grind aspect of it) also comes to mind.

#8 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Skyrim. So many fetch quests.clyde46

Radiant quests, huh?

Good point!

#9 Posted by Slashkice (13170 posts) -

Fetch quests in Witcher made me drop the game. So bad.

I'd also say most of what came after Bioshock's twist was unnecessary.

#10 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

The worst I've ever seen is the original Dragon Warrior game.

That game is the definition of grindfest.

Grind for a few hours to kill a dragon (who was just a tough monster)

Then sometime later you go find a flute

Then grind for some more hours, and kill the last boss.

#11 Posted by Heil68 (44560 posts) -
ODST being $60 instead of a $15 DLC.
#12 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

Fetch quests in Witcher made me drop the game. So bad.

I'd also say most of what came after Bioshock's twist was unnecessary.

Slashkice

The Witcher's story got me through the game. It's also not half bad after Act 3

#13 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Zelda The Wind Waker tri-force quest.

Whoever designed that garbage can fvck off.

#14 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
Pokemon Emerald, simply all of it.
#15 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

The entirety of ME2 is padding, like they needed a gap filler to keep people busy before ME3. It felt like a damn pokemon game at one point I was doing that much squad collecting

#16 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3188 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption. Mexico.

About 5% of what you do there matters.

#17 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

devil may cry 4 was something awful with the second half of the game being the same levels and bosses as the first.

still, i think a lot of it comes down to whether the game can support the activities we associate with padding. like i don't have a problem with the triforce hunt in wind waker but i couldn't stand the gang wars section of gta: san andreas. in wind waker, the overworld was built for exploring and finding secrets. in san andreas, the game was not built for a horde mode.

#18 Posted by BPoole96 (22801 posts) -

Off the top of my head, resource mining in ME2 and fetch quests in ME3, I found both very pointless and annoying...

Rocker6

That's what I was going to say.

#19 Posted by GarGx1 (2701 posts) -

Assassins Creed 3 and Dragon Age 2

#20 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Assassin's Creed 3's sidequests. 

#21 Posted by black_chamber99 (1696 posts) -

DMC4 comes to mind. Horrible padding.Pete-B

didn't that game have repeating boss fights and levels that you had to do with dante and nero? :lol:

#22 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

Most of Skyward Sword, especially the part where the forest area is flooded.

#23 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

The entirety of ME2 is padding, like they needed a gap filler to keep people busy before ME3. It felt like a damn pokemon game at one point I was doing that much squad collecting

seanmcloughlin

In fairness, that is the actual point of the game. 

#24 Posted by BPoole96 (22801 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pete-B"]DMC4 comes to mind. Horrible padding.black_chamber99

didn't that game have repeating boss fights and levels that you had to do with dante and nero? :lol:

It was basically 10 mission long and had 2 playable characters.

#25 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26505 posts) -

Zelda The Wind Waker tri-force quest.

Whoever designed that garbage can fvck off.

MLBknights58

with you on that one. It was so bad that it stained the game for me.

#26 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

seanmcloughlin

I actually liked how he was recruiting people :[

#27 Posted by nintendoman562 (5593 posts) -

Most of the Song of the Hero quest in Skyward Sword. Oh and the Spirit Realm fetch quests...

#28 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26505 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pete-B"]DMC4 comes to mind. Horrible padding.black_chamber99

yup. nero went forward then dante went backwards I believe.

#29 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -
this. you play through the game with nero, then go through the exact same thing backwards with dante, and then you fight the same bosses a 3rd time for good measure.
#30 Posted by nutcrackr (12604 posts) -

Halo - Library level

AC3 - all of it

Far Cry 2 - checkpoints

#31 Posted by bobbetybob (19276 posts) -
Was just going to say that, nothing worse than half arsed puzzles and stupid platforming to try and pad out a game, plus the whole "We couldn't be bothered to design any bosses, just fight these ones 3 times"
#32 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

RDR's Mexico section.

#33 Posted by DerekLoffin (8779 posts) -
Halo - copy paste levels, going back through the levels again... never could finish that game. Most padding I don't mind, but Halo, no, just couldn't take it.
#34 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

Skyward Sword.

#35 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5976 posts) -
I will probably put down a game with stupid padding. A Short game that's the highest quality possible is always better.
#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

balfe1990

In fairness, that is the actual point of the game. 

Yes and I didn't like it

#37 Posted by Fossil- (351 posts) -
Skyrim. So many fetch quests.clyde46
Skryim is nothing but padding, and oddly enough that's what people love about it. The main quest is 8 hours and the rest of the game is extremely shallow and pointless bull****. People love it because there is always something to do, even if that something is barely distinguishable from what you've been doing for the last 100 hours.
#38 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption. Mexico.

About 5% of what you do there matters.

drinkerofjuice

RDR's Mexico section.

Thefatness16

Good call! By the time I got to the north, I was over it. Hated mexico. Other than the badass travel music to get there.

#39 Posted by Moriarity_ (1349 posts) -
The last half of Skyward Sword(when you start going to each of the surface worlds for the 3rd-4th time it gets ridiculous) and the money grind for Wind Waker (getting the charts/pieces isn't that bad, it's just the money grind that kills it). The Witcher 1 was also pretty bad with fetch quests but most of them were sidequests so its not that bad.
#40 Posted by mems_1224 (47147 posts) -
all of assassins creed 3
#41 Posted by gamefan67 (9894 posts) -
Any GTA game after Vice City. Red Dead Redemption Mexico section. some other games I cant think of at the moment.
#42 Posted by black_chamber99 (1696 posts) -

all of assassins creed 3mems_1224

I agree with this. I still havent finished this damn game

#43 Posted by Senor_Kami (8411 posts) -
I don't like when open world games make you do insane traversal. Like in GTA4 where they pad the time by making you have to drive around and pick up multiple people, none of whom are located even remotely near each other nor the final objective. Or in some RPG where you need 5 things to make something but the quest giver only tells you one at a time so that you have to spend the maximum amount of time possible to do each just so they can throwing "Hundreds of hours!!" on the back of the box.
#44 Posted by gameofthering (10259 posts) -

I was gonna say that :P

#45 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3186 posts) -

MMORPG

/thread

#46 Posted by with_teeth26 (6166 posts) -

Rage. 

The 14 hour first-person shooter with 6 hours of first-person shooting. The rest was bad racing, vehicular combat and mini games. 

Also AC3. Very little of substance in that game. 

#47 Posted by Seabas989 (10284 posts) -

The later Zelda games.

Halo's library.

Morrowind.

I can't think of anything else.

#48 Posted by joel_c17 (2854 posts) -
ME2 resource gathering
#49 Posted by hummer700 (10195 posts) -
Borderlands 2. Lots of boring missions. Lots of good missions though.
#50 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
i actually LIKE backtracking.