What's the biggest dud of the year so far?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll What's the biggest dud of the year so far? (90 votes)

Konami - Metal Gear Survive 4%
Bethesda - Fallout 76 70%
Sony - PlayStation Classic 26%

Why I chose those 3? Well, Konami thought they could capitalize on the Metal Gear brand with a wannabe Survival Horror-like Metal Gear game. It sucked, especially with Kojima gone. Welp, fast forward today, everyone forgot it even exist! (until this poll came)

Bethesda had people hyped on e3 2018 with a new Fallout game. Turned out all the waiting was for a broken mess, let alone, a PR nightmare. Especially screwing people that wanted a refund. Had to be a reason why they didn't release the game on Steam. Also, why would anyone buy a $200 collectors edition, to only be screwed getting a bag that cost $5 to manufacture?

Well, I wouldn't say the biggest controversy. Looking at their ways of copying the competition, Sony thought they can win the Holidays by cashing in on nostalgia, like the NES and SNES Classic. With an announcement and some noticeable memorable titles announced. Things didn't look their way after revealing the full list of games. Who asked for Rainbow 6 on the PlayStation? Sony knows that there are better games that defined the console and should have worked with other 3rd parties to get them on here. Sony also went on and used an open source emulator from PCSX as well as using PAL versions of 7 (or 8) old titles. I sure hope the hacking community can fix that $100 mess.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

fallout 76 they gave 200 dollar collectors a trash bag

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Honorary mentions:

• Nintendo Online and it's horrible launch
  • Nintendo Labo
  • Darksiders 3 poor development and no hype
  • Battlefield V
  • Spyro Trilogy not in 1 disc
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59239 Posts

I classify something in SW as a "dud" or "flop" by the expectation. If we expected it to be shit, then its not really an upset. Most of us declared Fallout 76 and Survive shit long in advance. With alot of manly incels hating Battlefield V for having women a lack of authenticity.

I would say Thronebreaker considering the praise and hype Witcher 3 had, coupled with CDP misguided attempt of making it exclusive to GOG, which they immediately backtracked on.

It wasn't exactly hyped, but people weren't exactly talking shit about it either. It just goes show The Witcher brand was not as hot as they thought it was, and that gamers themselves are incredibly close minded when it comes to card games. Disgustingly so.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I classify something in SW as a "dud" or "flop" by the expectation. If we expected it to be shit, then its not really an upset. Most of us declared Fallout 76 and Survive shit long in advance. With alot of manly incels hating Battlefield V for having women a lack of authenticity.

I would say Thronebreaker considering the praise and hype Witcher 3 had, coupled with CDP misguided attempt of making it exclusive to GOG, which they immediately backtracked on.

It wasn't exactly hyped, but people weren't exactly talking shit about it either. It just goes show The Witcher brand was not as hot as they thought it was, and that gamers themselves are incredibly close minded when it comes to card games. Disgustingly so.

no one cares what you think, sniper.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15977 Posts

Am offended no sea of thieves. The holy grail that supposed to kickstart xbox return to critical acclaim game making.

Anyhow even with sea of thieves there I will vote for fallout 76. The game is pretty underwhelming.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@sakaixx said:

Am offended no sea of thieves. The holy grail that supposed to kickstart xbox return to critical acclaim game making.

Anyhow even with sea of thieves there I will vote for fallout 76. The game is pretty underwhelming.

Sea of Thieves is an honorable mention I forgot to add. MS didn't damage control anything about the game. It surely was barren but, nothing controversy about it.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Fallout 76 followed by the PS Classic.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#8  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Several I can think of.

Fallout 76, Labo, PS Classic

Those are the biggest standouts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Fallout 76 makes No Mans Sky look good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46521 Posts

Battlefield V hate being unfounded and misguided.

Don't think I've ever seen so much misplaced hate in my life for a piece of entertainment.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

That new Walking Dead game absolutely blows. I think most of us knew FO76 was going to be shit otherwise id have said that.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@pelvist: I think everybody knew the Walking Dead game was going to be ass.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44417 Posts

Tough call but I think I would go with the PlayStation Classic. At least with the Fallout 76 and Metal Gear Survive they can be added to and updated although with MGS I really doubt that Konami will ever do anything with it moving forward. Fallout 76 has more potential of evolving to something better. With the PlayStation Classic though it will forever be what it is and given the pedigree of the PlayStation it could have and should have been so much better.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44214 Posts

Dad of War or SpiderHam. lol

Eh, looks at poll..... All the above. :P

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#15 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2969 Posts

MG:Survive was pretty sad. So that.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7714 Posts

Considering the expectations for Fallout 76 were already low to begin with, but they managed to even meet those so...

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@dagubot said:

Fallout 76 makes No Mans Sky look good.

This.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Nintendo Switch because it had no games for the entire year. Massive Game Droughts.

I can’t think of a worse year for any system. And just because Smash comes out in a couple days doesn’t mean we forget how the Switch had nothing all year.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7273 Posts

Toss up between PlayStation classic and fallout 76.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I think my expectations for those 3 games wasn't great so

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Honorary mentions:

• Nintendo Labo
  • Battlefield V

You forgot Sea of Thieves

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56316 Posts

Sony's PlayStation Classic was a failed and as for Fallout 76, hardly ever consider the biggest dud of the year.

@R4gn4r0k said:

Battlefield V hate being unfounded and misguided.

Don't think I've ever seen so much misplaced hate in my life for a piece of entertainment.

I dunno, it was the reveal trailer that got the hate, but when the dust settle down, it was all cool now. And after playing BFV myself, the game left to be desire now, I got bored with it and went back to BF4 because Dice put alot of efforts into that game then they did for BFV. If anything, I think EA did a poor job on hyping BFV and telling everyone "don't buy our game" wasn't clearly the right message to tell BF fans.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

PS classic, absolute fckin fail from Sony.

Fallout 76...well, it's Bethesda what do you expect?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Definitely the PS Classic for me. I don't play Fallout games until years after they've launched.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

BFV imo, for a franchise thats so popular and loved they have lost a lot what made them great, The EA influence has shown in their latest game, too many similarities to battlefront, horrible launch, pushed back release, combined with a weird tier system of when people can play, it was sloppy. Modes are missing, They did not release a full game, its more like early access. The game has too many glitches for a AAA title. It released with only 8 maps and actually managed to feel less genuine than BF1. Options for guns and attachments were cut drastically, makes you miss BF3 and BF4, it was getting a little worse with BF1, Bf5 has horrible gun customization. Even tank customization is locked (its coming but why even tell us its there if we cant use it yet) This game was released 6 months too early and was not worth 60 and most people know it besides the fanboys, Hence the price drop to 40 ( Be assured EA will get their full 60 one way or another down the road)

I always would pick battlefield before Call of Duty, But not this year, sadly there is not much meat on the bones. I hope battlefield will return to feeling more gritty, BF2 was one of my favorite online shooters of all time. Honestly make the next game more mature, put some blood in the game and less goofy shit. Its war not a ska concert. Id like to see a Vietnam BF, but it seems like they like this war re imagined route which would probably ruin it anyway. If they want to do that just go back to bad company or 2142.

76 was expected to be bad, it just ended up even more bad than expected. It definitely deserves the negative attention. But we all kinda knew this was going to be a dumpster fire, Bethesda cant make a single player fallout polished, why would they be able to do MP better.

Kusimeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kusimeka
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts

@speedytimsi said:

I think my expectations for those 3 games wasn't great so

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Honorary mentions:

• Nintendo Labo
  • Battlefield V

You forgot Sea of Thieves

I think we all forgot Sea of Thieves (existed).

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22406 Posts

Hard to pick, all those 3 are pretty rubbish.

Right now, I'd probably say Fallout 76. But at least that can be improved. The PS Classic won't be. It'll stay rubbish.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jeezers

@ajstyles said:

Nintendo Switch because it had no games for the entire year. Massive Game Droughts.

I can’t think of a worse year for any system. And just because Smash comes out in a couple days doesn’t mean we forget how the Switch had nothing all year.

nah switch is fine, octopath, mario tennis, mario party, pokemon, (toads treasure tracker & super mario bros, ports but damn good ones with extra content), smash bros, what exclusives were great for playstation this year? god of war and spiderman? honestly in the time it takes to beat both of those you still wouldn't be done with octopath. Sony was king at 1 and done SP experiences this year and thats it.

not to mention haven't bought one indie/arcade title for my ps4 since i got my switch megaman 11, celeste, dead cells, hollow knight, the messenger, undertale, all on the switch, why be forced to play any of these stationary on your tv?

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Honorary mentions:

• Nintendo Labo
  • Battlefield V

Battlefield V is in no way a Dud.

Gameplay is excellent, maps are good, free DLC

Don't let the internet drama trash win.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts
@ajstyles said:

Is it really fair to compare it when you act like only exclusives made by Nintendo count as games though?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@kali-b1rd said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Honorary mentions:

• Nintendo Labo
  • Battlefield V

Battlefield V is in no way a Dud.

Gameplay is excellent, maps are good, free DLC

Don't let the internet drama trash win.

It's not the game, it's the developer and publisher who are killing Battlefield V.

I would not and do not support developers and publishers who attack their own fan base in favour of false narratives. They've dug in even deeper now in support of people who do not buy their games and do not have any actual interest in Battlefield V. They can rot as far as I'm concerned.

This what Dice think of their fan base behind "closed" doors

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/12/ea-dice-closed-bfv-launch-event-promoted-social-justice-and-mocked-disgruntled-fans/72838/

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@ajstyles: Alternative facts.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: If Sony, Bethesda and Konami improve their products as much as Rare has done with Sea of Thieves, then none of those products will have been a failure. SOT was barebones at launch, but it's a blast now....still best with 3 friends, but fun either way.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jeezers

EA was the biggest flop, everything they are involved in has issues

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Rare has made a lot of improvements and content to the game. It's not the same game that launched.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9558 Posts

Fallout 76 <-- this wins

Metal Gear Survive

SoT

PS Classic

Nintendo Online

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Playstation Classic doesn't deserve to be on that list. There's really only one option and that's Fallout. It lived up to its name and let the developer have a falling out with fans.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FireEmblem_Man

@Telekill: Yes, it does! Sony made the product, unless they throw At games under the bus (if they're the ones that made it). The PlayStation Classic has some good hardware, better than what's inside the NES/SNES Classic with 16 GB of flash storage inside. You'd think they would fill the console with more compelling ges, but no... Toshindan is somehow more important than Tomb Raider, Spyro, and Crash

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9558 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: I mean yeah, the game library is definitely weird (tohinden was p awesome imo, but the PS1 version of rainbow six? why?), but I think an even bigger problem with the ps classic was its execution.

NES classic can get away with doing just enough to get HD output in their classics bc it was the first; it set the bar. Sony has no excuse for how the PS classic was executed. It runs the emulator with a combination of unchangeable settings and bare minimum effort. There are some justifications as to why, like the original games running at various low resolutions and then being upscaled and such, but they have the native hardware. They could have performed freakin david blaine magic tricks with it. Disc support? PSN classics support? I could go on.

EDIT: so while some may be content with the hardware, I think the software could have been better. Also, I am complainy like this because I want these companies to convince me to buy their stuff.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FireEmblem_Man

@X_CAPCOM_X: Yeah, I agree! Hell, the PSP and Vita can emulate PS1 titles so much better. There's no excuse for Sony on the PS Classic. You're better off finding a use PS3, PSVita, or PSP with TV output.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1917 Posts

List of failures for the year in order:

1. Fallout 76: this is the biggest fail of 2018 that was years in the making. People kept babying Bethesda and excusing them for their bugs. Now Ubisoft did deserve criticism for the bugs in Unity, but they got all of that backlash while Bethesda is constantly getting off Scott-free. *rolls eyes* If you dumbass hardcore gamers didn't make so many excuses for them, they would naturally have to polish their games or flop until they're out of business. Survival of the fittest, and may the best company last.

2. Nintendo online: They've also been babied and excused as well. People excused them for the Wii because they just stepped their toe in the water, and even Sony was falling behind. People excused them for the Wii U because it was a vast improvement over the Wii's online and it was free. Now they're still fucking up, yet they're charging us for it. Enough with the excuses! You've had 12 years to fix your infrastructure and it's still subpar. GTFOH with that Nintendo.

3. PlayStation Classic: Sony's strength back in the day bite them in the ass and became their weakness. What I mean is, their strength back then was the amount of third party support they had. They would have benefited from Gran Turismo and Tony Hawk, but licensing bit them in the ass. They would have benefited from Spyro, Crash, Tomb Raider, etc., but third party companies told them no since they want to sell their remakes/remasters.

4. Nintendo Labo: $70 for cardboard on a $300 system is a tough sell. The fact that Nintendo didn't release this a lot later when the install base for kids on the Switch was higher is mind boggling.

5. Sea of Thieves: This one actually had potential. Problem is that it's essentially a DLC expansion of Don't Starve and Assassin's Creed sold as an actual game. If they had kept the Sea of Thieves part as half of the game and worked on another mode, plus gotten more time for polish, this would have been a great game.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I would add Quiet Man - quietest dud of the year.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

Fallout 76 because Bethesda went from a beloved company to almost universally disliked company by a majority of fans over this game and their anti consumer practices. They've really hurt their momentum for Elder Scrolls and Starfield. They'll be under a complete microscope until they redeem themselves.

The PS Classic sucks, but it doesn't ruin Sony's reputation. And people already hate Konami and had no expectations for MG Survive.