Whats the big deal with the batteries ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jim1174 (203 posts) -

A lot of people here are making fun of the xbox one controller for using aa batteries. whats wrong with that ? If the batteries in the xbox one have low power you can put in another pair of fully recharged batteries and still play wire free. Also if the batteries in the ps4 controller died and could no longer be recharged you would have to go get a new controller . if the batteries in the xbox one controller died you would just get new batteries

#2 Posted by withe1982 (450 posts) -

When I first got my Xbox 360 I was always running out of batteries. It was just so stupid. It's fine saying just get more batteries but sometimes it was 11 or 12 at night and batteries weren't readily available. I've since invested £10 in a charging kit and now it's fine. Nothing to really get worked up about. It's probably the first thing all new Xbox One owners will buy anyway.

It's just a way to make a bit more money for MS selling the charge kit separately. Also I've had the same PS3 controller for 5 years and it still charges just fine. Maybe doesn't last as long but certainly long enough for a few hours gaming.

#3 Edited by jim1174 (203 posts) -

@withe1982 said:

. It's fine saying just get more batteries but sometimes it was 11 or 12 at night and batteries weren't readily available.

That is why you get rechargable batteries. the batteries can also be used for other things besides the controller

#4 Edited by SolidTy (42459 posts) -

I heard this argument before back in 2005 and 2006, and it slightly worried me about the 360 batteries and play and charge kits VS. the PS3 internal battery. I bought two 360s in 2005. I went through COUNTLESS Battery packs on 360, it was costly. I also used rechargeable batteries as well, although they weren't as convenient as the play and charge kit batteries.

Funny thing about all that worrying I did for YEARS with regards to the PS3 Dual Shock 3's internal batteries? It was all for nothing. I never once had my official PS3 controllers die on me, and if you know me, I play a LOT of games on these machines proven by my Trophy and Gamerscore counts.

If the PS3 internal battery did die, much like a cell phone or DS, I would switch out the battery no problem once I acquired the right screw driver. I was prepared to do this all generation, now it's 2013 and I'm still ready. I would NOT have bought a new Controller, that's stupid and wasteful. I would have simply replaced the battery.

Needless to say, I prefer the internal rechargeable batteries used by the Wii U/Smartphones/PS3/PS4/handhelds/Lappys/etc. It's 2013. BTW: My Wii U Tablet, Vita, Smartphone, and 3DS all have internal batteries. I love those internal batteries, and it's okay, I won't replace those controllers when they die, I'll just buy a new battery in 7 years or whatever. The Wii U tablet is freakin' near $200, no WAY I would toss that out when I needed a new battery, get real.

The 360 and now Xbone Play and Charge Kits and Battery packs...it's just a money making scheme. It's not for the consumer at all. If you were skeptical before, we have an entire generation to look back on and learn from. Don't take my word for it, simply think about the issue logically putting it into context with the 360, or smartphones, or Wii U, or handhelds, or PS3...c'mon.

#5 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Already have my play-&-charge kit and for fighting games I'm going wired anyway so :shrug gif:

#6 Posted by TheEroica (13315 posts) -

A rechargeable battery pack that will come with 2 batteries and charger is 15 bucks... AABatteries in a controller are a perfectly awesome way to game.

#7 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Here's what I did in 2005:

I bought a rechargeable battery charger stand with two pairs of rechargeable batteries. They still work perfectly and it takes 2 seconds to switch the batteries out for the charged ones. It's basically like saying why do people buy record players when you got iPod and MP3!

#8 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

It's just a way to make a bit more money for MS selling the charge kit separately.

I'm not sure a multi-billion company is looking forward in expanding in the charge kit industry. Especially considering every generic charge kit will do the job.

#9 Posted by withe1982 (450 posts) -
@edidili said:

@withe1982 said:

It's just a way to make a bit more money for MS selling the charge kit separately.

I'm not sure a multi-billion company is looking forward in expanding in the charge kit industry. Especially considering every generic charge kit will do the job.

On launch there are generally only official charging kits available that fit the controllers properly. Say MS sells 2m Xbox One's by next year and 50% of owners buy a kit at $19 a piece. That's $19,000,000. More than a drop in the ocean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-One-Play-Charge/dp/B00CM1KU82

#10 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9136 posts) -

MS uses batteries so you buy their POS ones.

I went through 5 rechargeable battery packs and 2 recharge stations.

While my 60GB fat PS3 remote still holds 8 hours of charge.

All it takes is a screw driver to replace the battery inside.

#11 Edited by sukraj (22159 posts) -

I don't have a problem replacing the batteries in the xbox controller.

#12 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

AA batteries are looking like space age technology compared to the DS4 batteries lasting about 5 hours. LOL>

#13 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Even the SNES didn't have AA batteries.

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (39207 posts) -

It's not that big of a deal for me because I can just buy a charger, but still..

#15 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@jim1174 said:

A lot of people here are making fun of the xbox one controller for using aa batteries.

That's because a lot of people here are nothing more than insecure man-children.

#16 Edited by lhughey (4222 posts) -

@edidili said:

@withe1982 said:

Business logic FTW.

Right. I have a couple sets of Enloops that last WAY longer than the integrated batteries in my DS3. I don't like integrated, non replaceable batteries because they degrade over time. Also they require you to stop playing why you charge them. I never have to stop playing to more than a minute to pop new batteries in. Also the PS4 controller is said to have much less usage time without charging vs the DS3.

#17 Edited by clr84651 (5365 posts) -

Because the 360's controller & the X1's controller should be built in rechargable. It's lame and cheap of MS to not make them that way.

#18 Posted by Shewgenja (8467 posts) -

Oh, you know, that whole concept of technology moving forward in a next-gen. Then again, you guys are lining up for TVBone720, so we don't really expect you to have standards at this point.

#19 Posted by clr84651 (5365 posts) -

@jim1174 said:

A lot of people here are making fun of the xbox one controller for using aa batteries.

That's because a lot of people here are nothing more than insecure man-children.

Not quite. The PS3s and PS4s are rechargable. MS is pathetic to make consumers have to use AA batteries or pay extra to make them rechargable.

#20 Edited by Caseytappy (2131 posts) -

It's simple, rechargeable batteries are bad unless you cant reach them and have to take the controller apart to change when broken .

I personally am a big fan of eneloops but on the DS 4 they are a no go, not a big deal though .

#21 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1693 posts) -

AA batteries, thats just sad. I dont waste my money on batteries or a recharge kit. Sony the best!

#22 Edited by Gue1 (9503 posts) -

A rechargeable battery pack that will come with 2 batteries and charger is 15 bucks... AABatteries in a controller are a perfectly awesome way to game.

#23 Posted by DaBrainz (7628 posts) -

Because lithium ion batteries are lighter and last longer than alkaline batteries.

#24 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@jim1174 said:

Not quite. The PS3s and PS4s are rechargable. MS is pathetic to make consumers have to use AA batteries or pay extra to make them rechargable.

Like I said...Insecure man-children. In this day and age, if you don't already own rechargeable batteries, you have been living life wrong.

#25 Posted by TheEroica (13315 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@TheEroica said:

Ive done this thread too many times Gue, and it strictly comes down to the way it works in the real world. I have 4 xbox360 controllers that I rotate 4 rechargeable battery packs in and out of. this set me back a total of 30 bucks over the course of the entire generation, given I wanted the extra charging base.

On ps3 I have one DS3 and a third party controller that runs off rechargeable AA's. Both systems offer me the same quality, the same charge time, the same play time and the world keeps spinning. I just can't recommend one over the other... I will say this though... if you are using straight double A's with no rechargeable option you are undoubtedly doing it wrong.

#26 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

When I first got my Xbox 360 I was always running out of batteries. It was just so stupid. It's fine saying just get more batteries but sometimes it was 11 or 12 at night and batteries weren't readily available. I've since invested £10 in a charging kit and now it's fine. Nothing to really get worked up about. It's probably the first thing all new Xbox One owners will buy anyway.

It's just a way to make a bit more money for MS selling the charge kit separately. Also I've had the same PS3 controller for 5 years and it still charges just fine. Maybe doesn't last as long but certainly long enough for a few hours gaming.

Considering Xbox 360 controllers can run around 55+ hours on one set of good AA batteries, I don't think it's that hard to have like one pack of batteries in your house for 2 weeks worth of gameplay. (As I highly doubt you game 55_ straight hours everyday.)

#27 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Nothing is wrong with batteries in a controller.

But my dualshock 3 is lighter because it doesn't use batteries, I don't have to swap out batteries since I can just plug in my mini usb to usb 10ft cable and charge it up while I play, I get about 12+ hours out a single charge even though I bought it when they first came out, I also recharge my controller in a little less than an hour while rechargeable AA batteries take hours to recharge, its also less bulkier because it doesn't need a battery compartment. And I don't have to spend money on extra batteries, or buy rechargeable ones, a 1.50 cable to charge it with is all Ive ever needed.

So nothing is wrong with batteries, its just the inferior option.