What's so special about Valve's games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10172 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

You are very much in the minority if you think that HL and HL2 are some of the worst PC games ever, your view is extremely irrational.

parkurtommo
No, I just have my own opinion. :|

A misinformed opinion, which should be treated as illogical/false. But of course, I know you're trolling (not sure if I can call it that when it's so obvious), so w/e.

How the f*ck am I trolling? I just said I disliked HL. You don't mean to say that it's impossible for someone to actually dislike the game, are you? :shock:
#152 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

I don't get it either.

Left 4 Dead, Portal and Team Fortress 2 are all good games. But that's all they are, just good. They're really not spectacular.

It is kinda obnoxious how lazy they are. All of their games are based on the same engine, the source engine, and it's so blatantly obvious. Technically, they're making all their money on Half Life 2 mods.

Valve is definitely up there as one of the most overrated game companies.

GD1551

I'm guessing you won't apply this logic toward the tales series huh? Those look like the same game reskinned and yet I'm sure you wouldn't consider namco lazy.

No one asked about the Tales series. Why even bother bringing it up?

But going from Tales of Vesperia to Tales of Graces f, it's obvious that they've greatly re-worked the game engine. Every game does indeed feel different. The game engine and rules are re-worked a lot more going from one Tales game to another. There's so much that they change.

The source engine has been used way too much, they're beating a dead horse. I didn't bother paying for CS: GO because I already have CSS which is essentially the same thing with less detailed graphics. I get the same vibe from every valve game I play. I'm getting sick of it.

#153 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

But going from Tales of Vesperia to Tales of Graces f, it's obvious that they've greatly re-worked the game engine. Every game does indeed feel different. The game engine and rules are re-worked a lot more going from one Tales game to another. There's so much that they change.

The source engine has been used way too much, they're beating a dead horse. I didn't bother paying for CS: GO because I already have CSS which is essentially the same thing with less detailed graphics. I get the same vibe from every valve game I play. I'm getting sick of it.

GeoffZak

I brought it up because you need to look at the overall bigger picture to understand why, despite the games running on the same engine, people like the game. I'd thought as a tales fan you would be more understanding than others.

#154 Posted by parkurtommo (27505 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] No, I just have my own opinion. :|

A misinformed opinion, which should be treated as illogical/false. But of course, I know you're trolling (not sure if I can call it that when it's so obvious), so w/e.

How the f*ck am I trolling? I just said I disliked HL. You don't mean to say that it's impossible for someone to actually dislike the game, are you? :shock:

I'm saying that it's impossible to think that half life is the worst PC game you've ever played.
#155 Posted by parkurtommo (27505 posts) -

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

I don't get it either.

Left 4 Dead, Portal and Team Fortress 2 are all good games. But that's all they are, just good. They're really not spectacular.

It is kinda obnoxious how lazy they are. All of their games are based on the same engine, the source engine, and it's so blatantly obvious. Technically, they're making all their money on Half Life 2 mods.

Valve is definitely up there as one of the most overrated game companies.

GeoffZak

I'm guessing you won't apply this logic toward the tales series huh? Those look like the same game reskinned and yet I'm sure you wouldn't consider namco lazy.

Half life 2:

Half+Life+2.jpg

TF2

tf1.jpg

Portal

portal_mirror-2.jpg

Portal 2

Portal-2-light-bridge.jpg

L4D2

1199989-left4dead2_2009_11_27_01_45_37_6

DOTA 2

Dota-2-Gameplay.jpeg

Same vibe? Come on.

#156 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Same vibe? Come on.

parkurtommo

(Aside from DOTA)

I'm talking about the physics, the controls, the gunplay. It all feels the same because they all run on the same engine.

The atmosphere might be different, but that's not enough. The source engine has got that tacky feel to it now because it's been so over-used for a while.

It's like, you know if a game is based on the source engine. It's more obvious than most engines.