Whats games are both terrible while also being brillaint?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

@MlauTheDaft: Great post...

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Virtual On: Cyber Troopers

It isn't all that good by modern standards, but I can't help but adore it. I just love high speed battles, robots, and jamming music, so sue me. :p

Loading Video...

^ ^ That's actually one of my favorite games ever. I used to play the hell out of it on my PC back in the day, split-screen was so much fun with my brothers. Good times.

I wish SEGA would remake it with modern day graphics, I would instantly buy it.

Yeah, it is a lot of fun for sure. I have it for the Saturn and I used to play it in the arcades all the time. SEGA actually did make an XBL version for it last year, but it didn't receive an international release. They have the sequel up there with online play, but Cyber Troopers/Operation Moongate is by far my favorite one. :(

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Big Rigs. Makes you laugh harder than anything in existence, and introduces you to some serious speeds. Oh and it's truly an open world racer unlike those other imitators.

Ride to Hell. Introduces you to many different gameplay segments at once making you a pro for on the fly escapades in many open world games.

Mindhack. Helps you deal with spongey soldiers in other games better, and lets you appreciate the AI in many games as well.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. I freaking loved that game.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#55  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@Basinboy said:

Metal Wolf Chaos

Google it. Right. Now.

I thought i was the only guy on the GS forums to know about that game. Brilliant mech game, but i can't seem to know what aspect of it is terrible in your eyes.

No way are you thinking about the story. That shit is glorious, it's half the reason i love the game, and why it's unique.

It's so horribly inaccurate and such a terrible parody that I can't help but adore every aspect of it.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Michael0134567 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

Deus Ex.

Terrible shooting/meele mechanics, terrible graphics (even for 2000 standard), terrible AI. but its level design, story, and tactical gameplay was so good that make it greatest game of all time

So its gameplay sucks, but it's still the greatest "game" of all time? Huh?

LOL Micheal. play it first than talk.

it has flaws but something is so good that make it GOAT.

Meh, wasn't even the best game of that year.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@glez13 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@glez13 said:

@MlauTheDaft: The Last Remnant ends up being annoying. It's innate randomness ends up killing it's awesome big armies battles potential.

My experience was that I actually gained control as I progressed.

I could easily pull off Arcana at will, for example, 3 * Invocation gives you Blackout, that's pretty easy to achieve.

Yeah, the game isn't nearly as random as it seems at first. It really should have given a better tutorial and at least allowed you to pick the gear for your soldiers, though. It's definitely one of my favorite games from this gen, but I can see why so many people don't like it.

It's really, REALLY, REALLY random. When you even disable every single ability from every character except the one that you want to use and it doesn't come up as an option to use in battle a lot of times, then you know a game is random.

You can get different abilities to come up based upon which group you choose to attack, and you will get the abilities you want more often if you do a good job of putting each group together so that those abilities are more specialized by an entire group. You have to look at entire groups as you would traditionally think of tanks, mages, and healers, set your formations as such, and consider each member as a small part of the whole. Leaders are also incredibly important because you will not get to use a remnant power if the person who has the power is not leader.

You can't eliminate all of the randomness, but that's part of the charm in the game, imo.

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

I'm currently playing through Mass Effect for the first time.After finishing 2 & 3 on PS3 I was eager to see how the story began so downloaded it from PSN.

I'm enjoying the story a lot and have been instantly drawn back into the whole Mass Effect universe BUT the gunplay/cover system are pretty bad after having played 2 & 3.

Also,there is a stupid amount of pointless loot.

They certainly tightened things up for the sequels and did a great job in making them much more fun to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Divekick. A fighting game with only 2 moves...........Dive and Kick. Brilliant!

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#60  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I feel like the Dead Rising games fit the bill. They were so close to being incredible to me, but the save system and time limits were deal breakers. Also, the photography aspect in part one was really uninteresting. Everything else was really great, though, and I am excited that they ditched the unappealing aspects for the 3rd game.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I thought the time limit and save system was what made Dead Rising great.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#62  Edited By Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

The first game that comes to mind that fits that description perfectly is E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy,so many awful things in it(buggy,poor english translation,terrible character models and animations,unbalanced builds) combined with brilliant ones(amazing shooting,fantastic world,great mix between Warhammer and Deus Ex,huge non linear levels with multiple objectives that can be acomplished in various ways,etc.),it´s one of those experiences that you really can´t find anywhere else.