Whats games are both terrible while also being brillaint?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (6823 posts) -

A good example is Stalker. Terrible animations, terrible voice acting. Broken. But untouchable atmosphere other games that try incredibly hard (Assassins Creed/GTA/Bethesda) can't touch.

What games of this generation have many, many terrible qualitys but one or two exceedingly good qualitys that make them forgivable? In your exceedingly, very humble opinion?

#2 Posted by Pffrbt (6357 posts) -

Deadly Premonition I suppose.

#3 Posted by soulitane (13375 posts) -

Deadly Premonitions, it has an interesting story, characters and just has a great vibe to it. However, the gameplay, graphics, driving and pretty much everything not mentioned in the first sentence is shit.

#4 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5458 posts) -

I'd put Beyond in that category... so many flaws but it still has something special.

#5 Posted by rjdofu (9167 posts) -

Elder scroll series, terrible game, good lore.

DMC/Bayonetta/NG/most other hacknslash, brilliant gameplay, absolute shit story.

#6 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Gotta say Dragon's Dogma.

One of my favorite games this gen, but gosh, there were so many basic RPG elements completely missing from this game. If it weren't for those, DD could have easily trumped the Souls series. Easily.

Such a shame; wasted potential.

#7 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

Deus Ex.

Terrible shooting/meele mechanics, terrible graphics (even for 2000 standard), terrible AI. but its level design, story, and tactical gameplay was so good that make it greatest game of all time

#8 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

WET, Mass Effect 1.

#9 Edited by toast_burner (21125 posts) -

Deadly Premonition is my favourite 360 game despite that the gameplay is horrible.

#10 Posted by Razor_defiace (1618 posts) -

Deadly Premonition is like that I guess. The gameplay is awful and the half-assed open-world mechanics coupled with horrible framerate kinda make it a terrible game... however the story is interesting enough that it detracts from the overall awfulness.

#11 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

Deus Ex.

Terrible shooting/meele mechanics, terrible graphics (even for 2000 standard), terrible AI. but its level design, story, and tactical gameplay was so good that make it greatest game of all time

I'd actually agree with this. Also, I think Skyrim is terrible, yet also a pretty awesome game at the same time.

Also, since Deadly Premonition is brought up all the time in these discussions, will make sure to give it a go when it hits the PC.

#12 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6594 posts) -

I think the Metal Gear Solid Series is just terrible, but people buy it up every time, so there must be some brilliance there somewhere.

#13 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8574 posts) -

I'd have to say Assassin's Creed II. It has terrible combat, really wonky platforming at times, and the stealth just doesn't really work, but the ideas are good and the world is well built.

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (38160 posts) -

Yup. Deadly Premonition.

#15 Edited by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Deus Ex.

So its gameplay sucks, but it's still the greatest "game" of all time? Huh?

#16 Posted by always_explicit (2619 posts) -

I feel like this about the vast majority of wrestling games tbh. I enjoy them but im not sure why.

#17 Posted by dovberg (3348 posts) -

I'd say the Dead Rising and Saints Row series are.

#18 Posted by Zero_epyon (5031 posts) -

Saints Row. Silly game with a silly story, but the characters don't seem to be bothered by the silliness.

#19 Posted by Articuno76 (18649 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 comes to mind. A decent game with a god awfully pervasive UI/Player interface.

#20 Posted by Heil68 (42605 posts) -

Deadly Premonition.I was going to say ODST, but that game is complete garbage outside of FireFight mode.

#21 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6155 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Deus Ex.

LOL SNIPER

#22 Edited by Basinboy (10920 posts) -

Metal Wolf Chaos

Google it. Right. Now.

#23 Edited by OmitName (717 posts) -

good topic.

legend of dragoon. fair rpg, certainly refreshing departure from random / luck being such a contributing factor to how much damage you deal or endure. however, because they were trying too hard, a few things ensured that i have yet to invest for very long in that game. such as / for example: the out of place voice sound effects when taking damage, or any such grunts while attacking and the like, wear on me quickly.

vagrant story. the battle system was weird and clashed with the tone of the game. it had really great presentation, direction, design. knights, honor, betrayal all that, then, when confronted by a battle, suddenly it was like a review of intent from some high technology a.i.

most tony hawk games. it sure is fun to jump around, explore, create things. then your set to random objectives that make you feel like a twit. they also leave alot wanting in the tone and presentation.

jet set / grind radio. so... much keenness: attitude, visuals, tone of its own. (it feels like it's own place, everything is purposeful, full of gravity, in harmony, it fits together. i want to go to there.) there is no choice but to love it. "yeah, wut the*..aslodjfsakdjf. have you ever played this?"

katamari damacy. same as jet grind, but sure does feel much more like work than it should. especially given the control scheme they chose to impose upon the player.

#24 Posted by lostrib (31508 posts) -

Alpha protocol got a lot of crap for bugs and animations, but it is a very enjoyable game

#25 Posted by 35cent (876 posts) -

I would say Race Pro on the 360. The production values are awful and the graphics are poor, but it's driving model is fantastic. I think the game is criminally underrated and arguably the most realistic racer on consoles.

#26 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

Gotta say Dragon's Dogma.

One of my favorite games this gen, but gosh, there were so many basic RPG elements completely missing from this game. If it weren't for those, DD could have easily trumped the Souls series. Easily.

Such a shame; wasted potential.

Just beat this a month or so ago. It was such an amazing game. I had a blast playing through it.

#27 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Deus Ex.

LOL Micheal. play it first than talk.

it has flaws but something is so good that make it GOAT.

#28 Posted by princeofshapeir (13600 posts) -

I say Spec Ops: The Line wins this one

#29 Edited by Senor_Kami (8256 posts) -

KOTOR2. A janky mess of a product with great story, characters, and new gameplay mechanics.

#30 Edited by ZombieKiller7 (6194 posts) -

Eve Online

Exciting concept, boring execution

Deus Ex man, that game was in a class by itself, I still love the music

#31 Edited by glez13 (8498 posts) -

"Qualitys"?

Anyways:

KOTOR 2

Gothic 2

Deus EX

Fallout New Vegas

Demons'/Dark Souls

#32 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3005 posts) -

Nier! It's a shit of a gem!

Also, Enchanted Arms is the kind of jrpg we've been starving for a lot this gen, but apparently, it's shit. Suppose I like that particular kind of shit taste, then.

Since I'm promoting jrpgs anyway....

Last Remnant is the best jrpg this gen, not counting the Wii library, because it's the Wii.

it's a rather touching story of bromance, sibling love, bro diggin your sister and monstergodweaponitempeople which, unlike Lost Odyssey, does'nt tend to get particularly hamfisted or melodramatic.

#33 Edited by glez13 (8498 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft: The Last Remnant ends up being annoying. It's innate randomness ends up killing it's awesome big armies battles potential.

#34 Edited by Renegade_Fury (16948 posts) -

Virtual On: Cyber Troopers

It isn't all that good by modern standards, but I can't help but adore it. I just love high speed battles, robots, and jamming music, so sue me. :p

#35 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2008 posts) -

Star Ocean 4.

At first you're like THAT gameplay!!!

But then you run into THAT story and voice acting!!!

#36 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3005 posts) -

@glez13 said:

@MlauTheDaft: The Last Remnant ends up being annoying. It's innate randomness ends up killing it's awesome big armies battles potential.

My experience was that I actually gained control as I progressed.

I could easily pull off Arcana at will, for example, 3 * Invocation gives you Blackout, that's pretty easy to achieve.

#37 Edited by uninspiredcup (6823 posts) -

I found the start of Assassins Creed 3 to be the strongest of the series. A superb likeable character well voiced. An a fantastic romance story with a well voiced and also likable female lead.

Then... we jump to Desmond and Q from startrek. A bunch of boring Americans the game insists in shoving in your face whenever possible. Then we get Conner, who seems like a nice shy lad who turned into a huge dick when he grows up. With combat that amounts of "button awsome" that are nigh on impossible to fail. A bunch of totally unsandbox like missions. It's 1/3 amazing and 2/3 dribble.

#38 Edited by with_teeth26 (5988 posts) -

Cryostasis and To the Moon come to mind.

Cryostasis runs like ass and is pretty clunky but the atmosphere and story are brilliant.

To the Moon has really cruddy gameplay but the story more than makes up for it.

#39 Edited by Repeal_It (9 posts) -

Alot of people are going to disagree but Shadow of the Colossus

The atmosphere, simplicity, and scale makes it a beautiful game

But at the same time, during the boss fights i feel like half the time im just being shaken around by the same animation of the monster. Frustrating

#40 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17088 posts) -

Killer 7

I only finished it with a walk through. What a fascinating, terrible, unplayable messterpiece.

#41 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6594 posts) -

@glez13 said:

I could easily pull off Arcana at will, for example, 3 * Invocation gives you Blackout, that's pretty easy to achieve.

Yeah, the game isn't nearly as random as it seems at first. It really should have given a better tutorial and at least allowed you to pick the gear for your soldiers, though. It's definitely one of my favorite games from this gen, but I can see why so many people don't like it.

#42 Posted by glez13 (8498 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

@glez13 said:

Yeah, the game isn't nearly as random as it seems at first. It really should have given a better tutorial and at least allowed you to pick the gear for your soldiers, though. It's definitely one of my favorite games from this gen, but I can see why so many people don't like it.

It's really, REALLY, REALLY random. When you even disable every single ability from every character except the one that you want to use and it doesn't come up as an option to use in battle a lot of times, then you know a game is random.

#43 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

Metal Wolf Chaos

Google it. Right. Now.

I thought i was the only guy on the GS forums to know about that game. Brilliant mech game, but i can't seem to know what aspect of it is terrible in your eyes.

No way are you thinking about the story. That shit is glorious, it's half the reason i love the game, and why it's unique.

#44 Posted by GhoX (4653 posts) -

Alpha Protocol. Flawed in many aspects, but there isn't another game that took ingame decisions more seriously.

#45 Posted by wiifan001 (18312 posts) -

Deus Ex

#46 Posted by Minishdriveby (9967 posts) -

Playing Deadly Premonitions now. It fits this category only for the reason of copying Twin Peaks.

#47 Posted by I_can_haz (6454 posts) -

Virtual On: Cyber Troopers

It isn't all that good by modern standards, but I can't help but adore it. I just love high speed battles, robots, and jamming music, so sue me. :p

^ ^ That's actually one of my favorite games ever. I used to play the hell out of it on my PC back in the day, split-screen was so much fun with my brothers. Good times.

I wish SEGA would remake it with modern day graphics, I would instantly buy it.

#48 Posted by bbkkristian (14731 posts) -

When I saw this thread yesterday, I didn't have an answer, I couldn't think of that oxymoron to apply to any game. But today I found one: Pokemon X/Y.

#49 Posted by TheEroica (13011 posts) -

The Walking Dead... It was barely a game yet it was one of my favorite games of last generation.

#50 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Alpha Protocol, Inversion, Halo Wars, Ultimate Body Blows, Gex ETG, Shadow Hearts, The Conduit.