What will you do when Apple.................. ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

I was wondering why Apple haven’t stepped into the console industry since they are one of big money powerhouse companies on the planet.

What would you do if they offer a iConsole or whatever they’ll call it ?

Would you buy it?

Let’s say Apple makes a better console than Xbox One and PS4.

With better online,better hardware specs, better games, best multi platform versions of games.

Also with a pretty competitive pricing as well.

Will you switch from whatever you have bought or was planning on buying ?

Will your inner fanboy clutch on to your PS4 or Xbox One ?

Would you want Apple to enter this industry with a console ?

#2 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3527 posts) -

Here's my opinion, apple has a ton of cash but I don't see then entering the game market as of yet or I don't believe they have an interest. If they were it'd be pretty cool to see as apple loved to develop for everyone with simple UI but I can also see price of console being a factor as apple has a huge markup when it comes to the price of their items, as interesting thought though I just don't see them doing it as of now

#3 Edited by MonsieurX (29491 posts) -

They already did an failed once.

#4 Posted by StormyJoe (4889 posts) -

@acp_45: Apple would just buy Sony.

#5 Posted by NFJSupreme (5150 posts) -

You think the xbone is overpriced imagine how they'd charge for a console lol. $600 for a console that's probably no stronger than the wii u just because it has an apple sticker on it

#6 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@acp_45 said:

I was wondering why Apple haven’t stepped into the console industry since they are one of big money powerhouse companies on the planet.

What would you do if they offer a iConsole or whatever they’ll call it ?

Would you buy it?

Let’s say Apple makes a better console than Xbox One and PS4.

With better online,better hardware specs, better games, best multi platform versions of games.

Will you switch from whatever you have bought or was planning on buying ?

Will your inner fanboy clutch on to your PS4 or Xbox One ?

Would you want Apple to enter this industry with a console ?

It all depends on the games, features, and price. But honestly, Apple looks at that Candy Crush and Angry Birds money and sees truckloads of it and probably thinks why risk billions on the console market when there's low risk/high reward for sticking to games with micro-stranactions that make them millions a day.

#7 Posted by Wasdie (49626 posts) -

They aren't going to try to enter an established market. Apple doesn't work that way. They make their own markets with new products.

#8 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9497 posts) -

i dont see them getting into the traditional console market

#9 Edited by Cobra_nVidia (1443 posts) -

Other than this being a console gaming site, what LOGICAL reason do you have for thinking Apple would enter the console market?

They might eventually help make consoles obsolete, but they have almost zero chance of even considering the idea of making a console at a board meeting.

#10 Posted by nethernova (4079 posts) -

@acp_45 said:

You must be new to this world.

#11 Posted by StormyJoe (4889 posts) -

You think the xbone is overpriced imagine how they'd charge for a console lol. $600 for a console that's probably no stronger than the wii u just because it has an apple sticker on it

Lets not make stupid comments, please...

#12 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (1443 posts) -

@acp_45 said:

You must be new to this world.

Nah I read Macworld all the time a lot of their writers and fans are like that.

#13 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Apple already entered the gaming market with their iPhone, and iPad, and that market dwarfs the consoles by a humongous margin.

Why are people so bent on the idea that other electronics companies really want to create consoles? In a good year MS and Sony make a few hundred million off their console lines (while losing billions in their worst years). Meanwhile Apple rakes in billions every quarter selling phones and tablets. There's a huge opportunity cost lost if they decide to stick a few hundred people on a team to develop a console.

Nobody is looking to make another console. Companies like Apple may want their current devices to stream images to the tv, and possibly work with a wireless controller, but they aren't going to make their own version of a Playstation, or Xbox.

#14 Posted by Boddicker (2511 posts) -

I think it would be interesting if Apple entered the console race. Now there's a company that can sell for a loss and still come out smelling like roses.

99% not going to happen though.

#15 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4409 posts) -

anodised aluminium finish lol

#16 Posted by Basinboy (11053 posts) -

Games are small time in comparison with the products Apple wants to make. Games will come as a consequence of their install base - but Apple has little interest in participating in game publishing or development.

#17 Posted by NFJSupreme (5150 posts) -

I think it would be interesting if Apple entered the console race. Now there's a company that can sell for a loss and still come out smelling like roses.

Apple selling something at a loss?

#18 Posted by millerlight89 (18347 posts) -

Let's get apple in so they can release an updated console every year.

#19 Edited by hiphops_savior (7856 posts) -

If they are, or if any company is interested, they might look into buying Nintendo or Sony.

#20 Posted by starwolf474 (551 posts) -

I fully expect Apple to be in the console market very soon, but it won't be a powerful console, it will be in the form of an updated Apple TV that can play IOS games. This is a very easy way for them to enter the market. They already have thousands of games for IOS and they already have the hardware. All they have to do is update the hardware and software to support games and package it with a controller.

Since I already love my current Apple TV, I will of course buy the updated Apple TV that plays games.

#21 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3685 posts) -

Maybe Samsung or Panasonic. Apple would be like the Ouya. Apple Pippin anyone?

#22 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13995 posts) -

The gaming industry would turn even more casual. Apple fanboys would be the worst kind of fanboy for this community and they would get destroyed with logic.

#23 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

They already have it's called iphone.

#24 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

they have,

the gap between apple products and the offerings of sony, ms , and Nintendo,

is only getting narrower,

I bet by 2016,

ipad games will match ps4 level graphics,

or at least appear so.

#25 Edited by KungfuKitten (20848 posts) -

Consoles are dying, not in sales but relevance. They're going to be the same as PC's with a monthly payment plan except closed and with paywalls.
I'm surprised Amazon stepped in and I wouldn't expect Apple to...
Valve is just touching on it, and for many reasons, not jumping in face first.

#26 Posted by Vecna (3379 posts) -

Apple has no interest in the console market. It doesn't have enough return on investments.

Hell, Im surprised that people do not see the writing on the wall. Consoles are on their way out. The mobile market will keep growing and take console publishers with it.

Companies go where the money is. I didn't expect consoles to be dead this gen, and they might be around for one more. Just keep an eye on publishers. You are going to start seeing more and more assets moved to mobile.

Hell, most of the newer console like offerings are based on mobile platforms.

#27 Edited by KungfuKitten (20848 posts) -
@Vecna said:

Apple has no interest in the console market. It doesn't have enough return on investments.

Hell, Im surprised that people do not see the writing on the wall. Consoles are on their way out. The mobile market will keep growing and take console publishers with it.

Companies go where the money is. I didn't expect consoles to be dead this gen, and they might be around for one more. Just keep an eye on publishers. You are going to start seeing more and more assets moved to mobile.

Hell, most of the newer console like offerings are based on mobile platforms.

Which is a blessing more than a curse. It's something the movie industry didn't get. A clear distinction between two markets: the market who cares and who doesn't.

If you design a game purely around making the most money you will not design a great game. The big publishers who are in it solely for money (and no, not all people (thus companies) are like that to such an extreme that they are willing to trick people and all that) are going to be dead to us anyway as they find more and more ways to get money out of people who just don't know better (the masses). And we are left with companies who have a little bit more integrity. Which may turn out to be only 5% of all publishers or developers, but those are the companies who are going to make the great games of tomorrow.

As these companies get better at milking audiences we have to accept that good games don't sell. We have to let go of these 'amazing' companies with their gazillions of dollars and let them milk their audience while we stick to the real game developers and publishers.

#29 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12193 posts) -

Wouldn't go near the thing. Have never purchased a product from that company, and I don't intend to start now.

#30 Edited by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -

Pippin 2.0 lol..

#31 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (1443 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Why are people so bent on the idea that other electronics companies really want to create consoles?

This is a console gaming site, that is really their only reason for believing it.

#32 Posted by bforrester420 (1347 posts) -

If Apple were to enter the console hardware market, I would avoid it like I do with all of Apple's overrated, overpriced products. A marginally better product does not warrant an extortionately higher price.