What will you do if PS4 blocks used games?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
I'll get over it and buy the games. If I don't think a game is worth full retail. I'll wait for price drops. AKA why I haven't bought RE6 yet. caseypayne69
Thats where No-Preowned will bit publishers in the backsie unless they drastically Drop there prices, i always buy new but i rade older games in towards the cost if i think the Games not worth full Price, people will be far more careful about the games they buy.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

lol you would go pc gaming which has no used games to get away from a console that blocks used games.

delta3074

Thats Exactly what i was thinking.

Because you can still get PC game for free!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50541 Posts

Not a problem. Games I am not willing to spend the full amount on can wait until the price drops a good amount. I can wait.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50541 Posts
I'll get over it and buy the games. If I don't think a game is worth full retail. I'll wait for price drops. AKA why I haven't bought RE6 yet. caseypayne69
Don't buy it at all....
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

What will I do?

Jump for joy because that means more devs will develop for the PS4 and game prices will drop. It will mean more variety as it will be easier for the devs to make money. They deserve our money.

F*ck Gamestop.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#57 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The Used Game Market is pretty big.

It would be a shame if Future games don't use it.

There are now already old PC games that we can not get anymore.

What will I do?

Jump for joy because that means more devs will develop for the PS4 and game prices will drop. It will mean more variety as it will be easier for the devs to make money. They deserve our money.

F*ck Gamestop.

Boddicker

It's not about Gamestop, it's about Used Games in General.

You look at your PS2, Gamecube, or Xbox and you say to yourself, "Man I miss those days."

You suddenly remember a game that you used to have, but

1. You let a buddy borrow the game only for him to move away and never gave it back to you.
  2. You sold the game so you could have cash to buy another game, but it turned out to be garbage.
  3. You dropped the game and someone stepped on the disc breaking it and you never got a chance to buy a new copy.

You now want to play that game, but wait, Those Systems haven't been in the market for years...those Games are no longer available NEW, unless you go online.

You search for a New Copy of that Game you've been wanting to play and you see it and then the Price hits you in the face. It's a whoping $150! But why? Why is it $150? Because these games aren't in Print anymore, New Games nowadays are not just being sold New so you can play them, they're sold New so you can have a Sealed Copy, a Collector's Item, something you can sell much later when the price doubles or triples.

You really want to play this game, but shelling out $150 for a New copy is just too much, but wait....what's this? Right next to New button is something you'd never think to see....it's the glorious USED Button!

you click it and AH-HA! There's that game you want to play being sold for $10! now that's a Price you're willing to pay! You get your game and now you'll finally start playing that one game you used to have, but never beat. All Thanks to the Used Game Market.

-In the Future-

You look at your Systems and you think of a Game you want to play, but you never bought it. These systems haven't been out for a long time and the games started going digital and there are none in stores. The servers for these Systems are down so buying a game on them is not an option, because there's no store to go to. You buy the Next Console hoping that they sell these old games on them, but turns out they don't. All New Games and none are the one you wanted to play.

You look online for an Alternative and there is just nothing there. The Used Game Market is worthless too, because the game you want, is Digital.

You go on eBay searching to see if someone is selling a hard drive with that game in it, but wait, that's right, no one was willing to spend that much money to do that.

You're screwed.

This is why the Used Game Market is important.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

I'd still buy it at full price if it offers me games i want to play.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#59 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I would not get a PS4 then
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#60 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="osirisx3"]

lol you would go pc gaming which has no used games to get away from a console that blocks used games.

Bigboi500

Thats Exactly what i was thinking.

And steam sales are used game cheap

Besides, if you can't buy used games at least go with the best platform that does do used games

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It won't change a thing for me.

Might start buying more digital copies if they're actually cheaper.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
I don't understand why my wife get's used games for my son from Gamestop. They're only $5 cheaper than a new copy, and they're never in good condition.. But that being said, I think that this would be a bad idea. Renting games, borrowing games, and buying used games in bulk off of eBay is something that alot of people do...
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Thats Exactly what i was thinking.vashkey

And steam sales are used game cheap

Besides, if you can't buy used games at least go with the best platform that does do used games

Exactly. Console games rarely if ever have super-cheap sales early on, especially when compared to the likes steam, so saying "consoles that don't allow used games will be exactly like PC gaming" are dead wrong.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Get a PC.

And let's get one thing straight: either both the PS4 and next Xbox will block used games, or they both won't. There won't be any middle ground.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I find it funny so many people are voting PC gaming, when you can't sell you games on the PC. HarlockJC

The difference between the ecosystem found on the PC, and the ecosysytem found on the consoles, is that on the PC despite the fact that you can't sell/trade back most games the PC has awarded us gamers with newer, and different incentives for purchase.

If the consoles get rid of used games then that's it; no more borrowing, no more renting, no more trading, and no gamers benefit. You'll be stuck paying full price for retail games, and you better be happy with it.

On the PC, however, my digital library is available at the click of a button no matter where I am in the world. Developers/Publishers give STEEP discounts to ease the fact we can't borrow, or rent, and they even occasionally offer us free weeks to play their games to see if we'd like them or not.

But even still places like GreenManGaming offer trade-ins for select PC titles, and Gamefly has a PC rental service for members, and I'm sure these features will spread to other distributors "soon".

If PSN/XBL ever reach the quality Steam/other PC distributors then count me in, but I have my doubts that the loss of used games on consoles would result in the same scenario that has happened on the PC.

trent44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 trent44
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts

Well, I have pretty much all the Sega, Sony, and Nintendo systems (except WiiU and PS4).

So, I would probably just buy games for the systems I already own, and maybe buy a WiiU someday, and some PC games, etc.

There are so many places my money can go to buy videogames nowadays, that it would be very easy to just ignore a system if it has too many negative features: raising prices, way less exclusives/original IP, online passes, download only content that is locked to an account and never comes down in price, long load times, advertisements, day one patches, mandatory system updates embedded on games, game installs, etc.

Simply put, blocking used games would be the final straw, and I would just go play games elsewhere.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#67 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Be happy that GameStop will be facing bankruptcy.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#68 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

I think ps4 shall fail if this happens cause i refuse to pay 60 twice if my copy shall brick

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
pc....
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

I answer the PC FTW one. Currently, I buy all the PS3 exclusives I get, I'll do the same for the PS4. I like for people that make a product and I enjoy it to get my money.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I'll still own one. No way would I deny myself of owning all the Consoles at least at some point. I would just buy new games with the PS4. Granted, I'd probably buy the new Xbox before the PS4 if they do that. But I would still own one soon after launch.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts
I don't buy used games, so day F'n 1.
kingkarl123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 kingkarl123
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

I rent most of my games from lovefilm and only buy the odd game i i'll be playing for months. When the new generation comes i will be buying the console thaty lets me buy used games. If they both have restrictions on used games then i will just have to see which console offers the most for my money.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
New gen speculation is always fun, I don't think it will happen, it was rumored before this gen and never happened either. If it does, I guess I will wait until it gets jailbroken.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#75 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Either go all Nintendo, or get a Gaming PC. I don't support anything that tries to take away my rights, especially for profit.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
Be happy that GameStop will be facing bankruptcy.Pittfan666
That is pathetic, tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of jobs lost in a terrible economy... And it still amazes me that people have no idea of the existance of RENTALS. Gamefly would hurt big time and so would redbox
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#77 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I'm 99% sure Sony or MS won't block used games but I wouldn't give a monkey's ass if they do. I never buy used.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
No used games means zero chance of a purchase for me, but I doubt I would buy a PS4 (or Xbox 3) anyway. Vita will probably be the last Sony hardware I ever buy. I just don't feel comfortable supporting certain publishers (Sony, Activision, EA, Microsoft, THQ, Ubisoft, Zenimax, Take Two, Warner, Capcom) anymore. I don't like companies with ridiculous DRM, anti-used game tech such as Online Pass, on-disc DLC, etc. I still buy certain games from those publishers used but I will never again give my money directly to them. My money goes to better publishers (Nintendo, Valve, Tecmo Koei, Namco Bandai, SEGA, Disney Interactive, Konami, Atlus, Xseed, Atari) and indies.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Buy new games.

Cillah

Yup, be forced to buy them and play less of them since I play more of them because I can rent and buy used ones for cheap. I wont have more money to spend on gaming so it'll be playing fewer games.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I'm 99% sure Sony or MS won't block used games but I wouldn't give a monkey's ass if they do. I never buy used.Floppy_Jim

So you're saying there's a chance!

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Get a PC.

And let's get one thing straight: either both the PS4 and next Xbox will block used games, or they both won't. There won't be any middle ground.

Vari3ty
Well one of them does charge for online while the other one doesn't.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
Buy my games new?
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#83 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I would rage about it and be careful to not give them money.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
There seems to not be an option for "cry like a little girl"
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]I'm 99% sure Sony or MS won't block used games but I wouldn't give a monkey's ass if they do. I never buy used.clr84651

So you're saying there's a chance!

Barely. There was a similar anti used game patent in 2005 before the PS3 launched and nothing ever came of that. I think the backlash would be too great for Sony & MS to consider it.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18250 Posts

I would probably quit Sony if that happens, and this is coming from someone who buys most of his games brand new not to mention with MS going Kinect only i'm going to have to go with Nintendo (as always :) ) and go back to PC gaming.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#87 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I'm pretty sure just about everybody will follow Sony and MS into next gen despite their policies on used games. But of course they will whine about it a lot.
Metalscarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Metalscarz
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts
10 to one if Sony does implement something like this you will be able to unlock the used game over PSN for a nominal fee. I'm not saying I support this but I expect a free trial period due to the rental market and the borrowing with the ability to unlock after that trial. It's the only way a system like this rumored would even be slightly tolerable without being in my opinion commercial suicide.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Lol at people refusing to buy the PS4 if it blocks used games.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

People who say "Well it doesn't matter to me because I buy new games'' Aren't seeing the whole picture. So what about a game that goes out of print?... You cant rent a game before you buy it anymore? Or borrow one from a friend? Or bring a game over a friends house to play it there?

If any sort of restriction lke this is enforced I would not buy their next system. It goes against everything that I love about gaming. Sharing and playing with friends WHO ARE RIGHT NEXT TO YOU.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#91 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It won't, both retailers and consumers will boycott them, killing the PS4. Not worth the effort for some whiny butt hurt publishers who will continue making games for the PS4 regardless.APiranhaAteMyVa
Pretty much, if they did I'd still buy new games as I've always done. However I think this step is precautionary to the fact that MS patented running multiple apps on a single console. So Sony are just making sure they have something to fight back with if MS try to stop Sony letting us run two apps on our PS4's since it'll have custom soundtracks by default, possibly through use of Music Unlimited meaning both a game app and a music app would be running at once hence violating MS's patent. It's a patent war guys, not concrete proof that Sony are going to block used games.
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#93 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
I don't buy used games. So I'll still buy it.
Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
I wouldn't care, I never buy used games. I buy games on sale, but not used.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
buy new games, like always..... :|
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#96 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Quit life

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Bigboi500

People who say "Well it doesn't matter to me because I buy new games'' Aren't seeing the whole picture. So what about a game that goes out of print?... You cant rent a game before you buy it anymore? Or borrow one from a friend? Or bring a game over a friends house to play it there?

If any sort of restriction lke this is enforced I would not buy their next system. It goes against everything that I love about gaming. Sharing and playing with friends WHO ARE RIGHT NEXT TO YOU.

VendettaRed07

And that's why companies wanna do this, because gamers are dumb and will still pay while they're being bent over.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
This is the type of behavior from companies that makes people want to hack a console.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

I'd still buy it. I could care less if a console doesn't support used games. PC has been doing this forever why does it matter now all of a sudden? I buy my games new anyway.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

pc