What will TITANFALL score on GS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 10 months, 6 days ago

Poll: What will TITANFALL score on GS? (244 votes)

AAAA (10) 11%
AAA (9.X) 46%
AA (8.X) 34%
A (7.X) 5%
Below 7 4%

The TITANFALL beta may be over, but now the fun begins in SW. It's time to stake your claim and own your prediction. What will the GS review be? This is where you lay it all on the line. Make your prediction and stick to it.

Here's your brief "How To Hype Thread" reminder:

• Vote using the poll options above
  • Make a post explaining your vote
  • Stick to your guns and own your choice

A couple extra notes -- Don't under-vote in order to save face, that's just annoying. Go all out, and if you over-hyped or if the majority votes higher than the score, that's okay -- just own it.

And now, some pretty things to look at, and don't forget this still counts as the TITANFALL sticky, so all other related discussions are absolutely, completely, 150% Randy Jackson welcome here.

Go forth and VOTE.

#51 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14454 posts) -

I'm thinking AA, 8.0.

#52 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

I have a feeling the campaign will push this to a AAA. Based on the what I played it already has an AA without any question.

#53 Posted by BigBadBully (643 posts) -

Just playing the beta with 2 maps and limited weapons was enough to sell me. Throwing in the full arsenal of titans and weapons is just mind blowing. Then the surprise of monsters thrown in, this game is just going to be insane. Being able to move around at ease being a pilot, hacking enemy a.I., just so much depth besides fighting other players.

#54 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

You know what's funny about Titanfall? The amount of shit it gets for its visuals but the game actually has some insane looking moments. The backdrops and the skyboxes and everything are fantastic and the animations of getting into the Titans are great too. Also there's always a LOT happening on screen at once

Sure it's textures are a bit muddy but overall it's certainly not a "bad" looking game

#55 Edited by lundy86_4 (43548 posts) -

An 8.5 seems feasible, though I haven't tried the beta.

#56 Posted by musicalmac (23036 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

You know what's funny about Titanfall? The amount of shit it gets for its visuals but the game actually has some insane looking moments. The backdrops and the skyboxes and everything are fantastic and the animations of getting into the Titans are great too. Also there's always a LOT happening on screen at once

Sure it's textures are a bit muddy but overall it's certainly not a "bad" looking game

Agreed. Even if some textures aren't all amazing, the overall look and feel is crisp and the art style makes the game feel really clean and it's visually pleasing. And yes, it helps that the animations are all so excellent. Some of my favorites --

• The different animations based on how you enter your titan (from above, from below, from between its legs (!) etc...)
  • The animation when someone sneaks up behind you and whips your head around 180 degrees
  • The eject animation (it may be my favorite)
  • So many more...

They're all so fluid it's wonderful. I never feel "locked" into any animation. It's very immersive.

#57 Edited by bobbetybob (19291 posts) -

The graphics hate is the same as the hate against CoD's graphics. Both games look good, they're not graphical powerhouses no, the textures aren't amazing up close but everything is well made, there's nice amounts of detail in the environment and there's not mountains of bloom/blur/lens flares blinding you ever 3 seconds either which makes a change.

#58 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

I wanna say a 9. The beta was solid.

But I think it'll get an 8. It is a more polished call of duty with robots.

#59 Edited by cheesie253 (858 posts) -

@Heil68:

Same here. I bought the special edition for the statue and intended on just selling off the game. After the beta, which I really enjoyed, I am keeping the game for sure. I have been burnt out on the online FPS genre especially after Ghosts which I barely played an TF just had me hooked. Wish I had more time to put into the beta when it was available.

#60 Posted by Heil68 (45224 posts) -

@cheesie253 said:

@Heil68:

Same here. I bought the special edition for the statue and intended on just selling off the game. After the beta, which I really enjoyed, I am keeping the game for sure. I have been burnt out on the online FPS genre especially after Ghosts which I barely played an TF just had me hooked. Wish I had more time to put into the beta when it was available.

I'm still undecided about the CE edition. Money isn't the problem, it's what I think the statue is worth when compared to other CE editions with statues.

#61 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

I'm gonna have to say a 9.0 after having hands on with the beta. Probably the best time I've spent playing MP in a FPS game, which is rare for me.

#62 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

• The eject animation (it may be my favorite)

Yeah this one is incredible

#63 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Seems like graphics always get boiled down to zoomed in face shots during cutscenes. Frankly getting ejected from a titan during a huge battle and just witnessing the mayhem on the ground as I rocket away from earth, I found myself visually more impressed than I ever have been watching a NPC talk in a game. I think people forget there is alot more to graphics than extreme closeups of high res textures. And there is certainly something to be said for the sheer spectacle that titanfall puts on display.

#64 Posted by cheesie253 (858 posts) -

@Heil68:

For sure. The price was way too much. I'm just a sucker for mechs and it will look cool in the game room.

#65 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14454 posts) -

I notice people saying campaign, is this coming with one? I thought there was no sp at all.

#66 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I notice people saying campaign, is this coming with one? I thought there was no sp at all.

Supposedly they're thinking about putting in a MP campaign of some sorts.

#67 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14454 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Supposedly they're thinking about putting in a MP campaign of some sorts.

That's kind of cool actually.

#68 Edited by Messiahbolical- (5561 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Seems like graphics always get boiled down to zoomed in face shots during cutscenes. Frankly getting ejected from a titan during a huge battle and just witnessing the mayhem on the ground as I rocket away from earth, I found myself visually more impressed than I ever have been watching a NPC talk in a game. I think people forget there is alot more to graphics than extreme closeups of high res textures.

The colors are really washed-out and ugly though, on top of the visuals looking quite last gen-ish even when maxed out in 1080p with high AA + 16x anisotropic filtering. I've read that there's actually an underlying reason why the colors look so washed out that has to do with the game overriding your video card's color correction for your monitor or something weird like that, and supposedly there's some kind of way to fix it... idk. I did read something similar to that, I just can't remember where.

But I have to say that a lot of the "effects" in this game are ugly and make the game look worse rather than look better. Like the mist/smoke in the air and overdone lens flare for example... they're more annoying than anything. I find that the game looks better when you turn most of the settings in the graphics menu down to low (or medium for those with the option). Not only does the game look better and more clear allowing you to see enemies at long distances better with that crap turned down, but it also increases your performance... so it's a win-win.

#69 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

I'm guessing it'll score a AAA score.

Pros:

1. New IP [MAJOR bonus points]

2. New FPS slant [MAJOR bonus points]

3. Very fun; accessible; fast unlocking; customization; addictive [Always standard for a high-quality game]

Cons:

1. Online multiplayer only; no single player campaign/story [This could be the #1 thing holding back a near-perfect score]

2. Graphics engine is slightly outdated by today's standards (unless Respawn held back on the texture quality on the PC version in the beta test) [This is not a HUGE deal, but for some people, like PC gamers, it could devalue their hardware investments]

3. Potential EA/Origin annoyances [When EA is involved, you never really know what you're in for]

#70 Posted by tyloss (829 posts) -

An 8

#71 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Messiahbolical- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Seems like graphics always get boiled down to zoomed in face shots during cutscenes. Frankly getting ejected from a titan during a huge battle and just witnessing the mayhem on the ground as I rocket away from earth, I found myself visually more impressed than I ever have been watching a NPC talk in a game. I think people forget there is alot more to graphics than extreme closeups of high res textures.

The colors are really washed-out and ugly though, on top of the visuals looking quite last gen-ish even when maxed out in 1080p with high AA + 16x anisotropic filtering. I've read that there's actually an underlying reason why the colors look so washed out that has to do with the game overriding your video card's color correction for your monitor or something weird like that, and supposedly there's some kind of way to fix it... idk. I did read something similar to that, I just can't remember where.

There was an option in the video settings to use the monitor's colour or something else. Changing it change the colours of the game

#72 Posted by Spartan070 (16361 posts) -

9.0 AAA

The gameplay is too fun, too polished and too addictive to be offset by any lack of pure campaign or minor graphical issues. As long as it is loaded with challenges, maps, weapons and unlockables than I see no issue with it getting a 9.0

#73 Edited by Evo_nine (1741 posts) -

Singleplayer is last gen (like the order), if it gets held back for that i would be shocked as it still has a campaign

Should get a 9 atleast, but deserves a 10.

#74 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

Everyone seems to really like it, so a 9 i guess.

#75 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

It will get a 9.0 here and on the rest of the internet. Every gaming site you go to is figuratively foaming at the mouth for this one.

Maybe, somewhere, it will be docked a few points for not having a single-player campaign, but I doubt it.

#76 Edited by xdluffy (23 posts) -

Based on the beta I give it a 9 if Im holding back.. oh what the hell its a 10 I say! Although I think gamespot will score it a 9 if theyre feeling generous but more realistically an 8, they always focus on a games shortcomings or even if there are none they create some. Its what critics do

#77 Edited by ominous_titan (733 posts) -

I'm hyping it a 10, it's just that dam good and fun and terribly addictive.

#78 Edited by lostrib (37771 posts) -

@ominous_titan: in that case, flop incoming

#79 Edited by gameofthering (10322 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

If only it wasn't only on origin ... >:(

Meh, Origin's fine, the downloads speeds have been pretty amazing lately as well, considerably faster than Steam.

I'm hyping it 9, though I can see them giving it an 8 with a silly reason. Like @sts106mat says, they shouldn't dock points for it being multiplayer only the same way a singleplayer only game wouldn't have points docked for not including a multiplayer component (unless it was ridiculously short, and then the issue is the length anyway).

I seem to get really fast speeds on Origin compared to Steam as well.

#80 Edited by ominous_titan (733 posts) -

@lostrib: I'd rather overhype it then go weak sauce and say 8

#81 Posted by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -

@ominous_titan said:

@lostrib: I'd rather overhype it then go weak sauce and say 8

I pulled a weak sauce by going with 8. It all depends on who reviews it.

#82 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1373 posts) -

Lets be serious, we all know MS paid the big bucks to sites for great reviews. Im not saying Titanfall isn't a great game, I had the beta on PC and its good fun. It deserves a 9, but with the way gamespot scores COD games and MS most likely paying for perfect scores, I can easily see this game getting a 10.

Also, lol @ people hoping this game gets a 9 to see the cows reaction. I am a cow and getting the game on PC and playing at 1080p. So for the last time, stop hyping it like an exclusive.

#83 Posted by mems_1224 (47285 posts) -

Hoping it gets a 9 so that this thread gets flooded with cow butthurt.

#84 Edited by ominous_titan (733 posts) -

It's semi exclusive, it's not full out multi plat, cows can hv fun watching YouTube video of it

#85 Posted by Bigboi500 (30094 posts) -

Microsoft is very good at "generating" praise, so if the "schwag" is good enough, 9.0.

#86 Posted by Big_Pecks (5359 posts) -

GameSpot is covering it obnoxiously so it will probably score higher for the price that was paid.

#87 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29394 posts) -

What will it get? Probably a 9

What does it deserve? 7 at the most

#88 Posted by Chutebox (37376 posts) -

Add me bitches, Willster33

#89 Edited by trugs26 (5586 posts) -

Given the new information of the concept art, it sounds like it will be in the realm of a 9. If the concept art is executed wonderfully, we could see a 10.

#91 Posted by Teller76567 (10 posts) -

i would give it a lower score then what was offered no single player campaign so only half of a game.....

#92 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42980 posts) -

What's with the X in the scores, Mac? GS dropped the .5s.

#93 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

Less than knack.

#94 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72465 posts) -

i think it's going to get an 8

#95 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3043 posts) -

I have a strong feeling it will get a 9(my vote). I don't think it will get a 10 because it's a multiplayer only title, but it's a possibility if it pushes the genre enough. I had some unique thrills playing the game. Ejecting from a doomed mech, and then carefully descending and shooting at the same time....when is the last time you did that in a game? Also, from the moment you summon your Titan, the sound effect in the sky, and then the rush of power you get when you enter it......awesome......great for adrenaline junkines.

My reasoning is easy......Games like COD and BF4 got an 8 or more(I think, not sure)....so it's only normal a game like TF is gonna get at least 1 more point.....9 it is.....and if this was the old GS, I would say 9.5 .

#96 Posted by iwasgood2u (819 posts) -

8 because its a rush game. If they had put more time in.....there would be story campaign with probably more players online.

#97 Posted by MonsieurX (30473 posts) -

@Evo_nine said:

Singleplayer is last gen (like the order), if it gets held back for that i would be shocked as it still has a campaign

Should get a 9 atleast, but deserves a 10.

*cough* Ryse *cough*

#98 Posted by navstar29 (4036 posts) -

If games like Call of Duty can get 8's with little to no change to the formula. And with TitanFall really nailing the basics and movements in the game and changing the formula enough for it to feel relatively fresh. I'd say its an easy 9.

I found the wall running to double jumping to wall running so smooth that I kind of wish they were doing a proper SP campaign for the game (not a SP, that is still MP) with the level design built around some of the wall running stuff, the controls just feel so right.

#99 Posted by getyeryayasout (7603 posts) -

I'm guessing a 9 but could see it losing a point for no SP.

#100 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -
@Messiahbolical- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

But I have to say that a lot of the "effects" in this game are ugly and make the game look worse rather than look better. Like the mist/smoke in the air and overdone lens flare for example... they're more annoying than anything. I find that the game looks better when you turn most of the settings in the graphics menu down to low (or medium for those with the option). Not only does the game look better and more clear allowing you to see enemies at long distances better with that crap turned down, but it also increases your performance... so it's a win-win.

I dunno dude, i dont even pay attention to that stuff when im getting shot at from all directions and flying through the air at 50mph. Maybe the enormous action packed battle im looking at from a birds eye view has a somewhat washed out color palette... but thats the last thing im paying attention to.

I guess its maybe the classic example of playing graphics over games, because i literally never gave a moments though to any of those things. All i see is the crazy battle going on underneath me as i soar through the sky, and think "this looks awesome"