What will be the first game to break the 9.6 curse??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for tricoreat3_2gig
tricoreat3_2gig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tricoreat3_2gig
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I say it is between GTA 4 and Halo 3.  I vote for Halo.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.
mastersword007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mastersword007
Member since 2005 • 6630 Posts
I'm guessing Halo will get a 9.5....and I HOPE that GTA 4 won't get higher than a 9.5.....but I'm guessing...Brawl!
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas got 9.6. I'm pretty sure next gen GTA can break the mold.
Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts

I'm guessing Halo will get a 9.5....and I HOPE that GTA 4 won't get higher than a 9.5.....but I'm guessing...Brawl!mastersword007

You're aware that the series hasn't broken AAA yet, right? It seems that GS doesn't like the SSB series much.

Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts

Super Paper Mario. It will get a 9.9. 8)

Or Spore, SMG, Halo, Metroid... >_>

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.LoG-Sacrament
Exactly how many good franchises change the gameplay a whole lot???
Sparkys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sparkys
Member since 2004 • 4074 Posts

I'd guess either: Spore, Super Mario Galaxy, MGS4 or Mass Effect. One for each.

SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 SyluxElite
Member since 2006 • 8950 Posts

[QUOTE="mastersword007"]I'm guessing Halo will get a 9.5....and I HOPE that GTA 4 won't get higher than a 9.5.....but I'm guessing...Brawl!Codename33

You're aware that the series hasn't broken AAA yet, right? It seems that GS doesn't like the SSB series much.

but with the addition of online........... :wink: Who knows? It might get AAA. :)
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts
Mass Effect and Spore.
iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts
9.6 is a curse?
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Spore, Halo 3 or Crysis, assuming they don't dock points for requirements.
Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts
[QUOTE="Codename33"]

[QUOTE="mastersword007"]I'm guessing Halo will get a 9.5....and I HOPE that GTA 4 won't get higher than a 9.5.....but I'm guessing...Brawl!SyluxElite

but with the addition of online........... :wink: Who knows? It might get AAA. :)

If nintendo nails the online part, SSBB will be a shoe-in for AAA. But, i don't think it will break the 9.6 barrier like you said :P

SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SyluxElite
[QUOTE="SyluxElite"][QUOTE="Codename33"]

[QUOTE="mastersword007"]I'm guessing Halo will get a 9.5....and I HOPE that GTA 4 won't get higher than a 9.5.....but I'm guessing...Brawl!Codename33

If nintendo nails the online part, SSBB will be a shoe-in for AAA. But, i don't think it will break the 9.6 barrier like you said :P

Definatly not 9.6! :lol: But definatly a solid AAA even if it is only 4 player matches between friends and rivals. :)
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
I have no idea. Maybe Spore?
Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
Resident Evil 5.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.killab2oo5

there was a big change from halo 1 to 2 with the online mode and dual wielding(i didnt like it but apparently everybody else did). bungie cant put out the same game with better graphics and expect 9.6.
nivet14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nivet14
Member since 2006 • 5329 Posts
GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas got 9.6. I'm pretty sure next gen GTA can break the mold.MoldOnHold
Yeah I agree.
mastersword007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mastersword007
Member since 2005 • 6630 Posts
[QUOTE="Codename33"][QUOTE="SyluxElite"][QUOTE="Codename33"]

[QUOTE="mastersword007"]I'm guessing Halo will get a 9.5....and I HOPE that GTA 4 won't get higher than a 9.5.....but I'm guessing...Brawl!SyluxElite

Definatly not 9.6! :lol: But definatly a solid AAA even if it is only 4 player matches between friends and rivals. :)

I wouldn't say definately....but unlikely............grr

If Brawl gets lower than 9.5, then I will leave GS FOREVER! And you can quote me on that!
dante20010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dante20010
Member since 2005 • 885 Posts
just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.LoG-Sacrament
I'm not sure if this has been confirmed, so don't quote me on this, but Halo 3 will supposedly have destructible anvironments, which seems like a nice addition, but not too big.
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts
[QUOTE="Codename33"][QUOTE="SyluxElite"][QUOTE="Codename33"]

They're mainly focussing on 1on1 matches I think.
liljon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 liljon546
Member since 2005 • 2301 Posts
BioShock, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, one of these.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, maybe assassins creed will get a good score.
BigBadButters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BigBadButters
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.killab2oo5

not many. but 2 of the longest running Franchises have had their flops because of unchanged gameplay (TP and Sunshine definately deserver AAA imo though)
arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 arabi_89
Member since 2006 • 1299 Posts
MGS4 or GTA IV or FFXIII -i'd go for MGS4
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
I have a feeling Super Mario Galaxy has a shot at AAAA. Don't underestimate Miyamoto. The guy is a pure genius and if you look at the main mario series: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, and Mario Sunshine, the only 2 that weren't AAAA calibur games was Super Mario Bros.2 and Mario Sunshine. SMB 2 was an adaptation of another game and not a true Mario game, and Mario Sunshine was based on an idea of another guy at Nintendo. The other 4 games are among the greatest games ever created. Just stating that because some people seem to forget the lineage behind the core mario titles. Anyways, Miyamoto I think is due for another gem.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
lets not forget burnout 5.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shsonline
Member since 2005 • 2937 Posts

Changing gameplay mechanics could actually be BAD for a game that has solid gameplay mechanics. Now if you're talking about if they added anything new in general, YESSSSS! I'd refer you to the Halo 3 gamespot page, but just a quick rundown:

-secret "x" button feature (game previewers haven't even allowed to use it in demos)
-new grenades
-new shields that let you shoot out but stop incoming bullets
-new vehicles
-new graphics (of course)
-"man cannon"
-new guns

DS_fan_atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DS_fan_atic
Member since 2005 • 4078 Posts
Brawl, Metroid or Mario
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts

A list of games that I think have a (good) shot at scoring higher than 9.6:

Metroid Prime 3
Halo 3
Super Mario Galaxy
FF-XIII
Spore
Crysis

SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SyluxElite
[QUOTE="SyluxElite"][QUOTE="Codename33"][QUOTE="SyluxElite"][QUOTE="Codename33"]

[QUOTE="mastersword007"]I'm guessing Halo will get a 9.5....and I HOPE that GTA 4 won't get higher than a 9.5.....but I'm guessing...Brawl!mastersword007

I wouldn't say definately....but unlikely............grr

If Brawl gets lower than 9.5, then I will leave GS FOREVER! And you can quote me on that!

Well since you asked.................. QUOTED! I need something to fill up ny screwed up sig. .......................... long story. :P
redneckdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 redneckdouglas
Member since 2005 • 2977 Posts
Nothing will.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
I don't think Mass Effect will do it. It's my most anticipated game, but KOTOR only got 9.1, so I doubt Mass Effet will get 9.7+. I'm gonna say GTAIV or Bioshock.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
GTAIV most likely.

MGSIV has a strong chance, as does Halo 3.

Those 3 are the only games I'm willing to bet could break the 9.6/10 barrier.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
I have a feeling Super Mario Galaxy has a shot at AAAA. Don't underestimate Miyamoto. The guy is a pure genius and if you look at the main mario series: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, and Mario Sunshine, the only 2 that weren't AAAA calibur games was Super Mario Bros.2 and Mario Sunshine. SMB 2 was an adaptation of another game and not a true Mario game, and Mario Sunshine was based on an idea of another guy at Nintendo. The other 4 games are among the greatest games ever created. Just stating that because some people seem to forget the lineage behind the core mario titles. Anyways, Miyamoto I think is due for another gem. Zerostatic0

Just so you know, Super Mario 64 got a 9.4 at Gamespot when it was released.

Here's a link.

Bibbidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bibbidy
Member since 2006 • 636 Posts
Bungie is one of the most tight-lipped developers out there. They will be things about Halo 3 that we won't know until we have it in our hands and start playing it.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Starcraft 2
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shsonline
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.Bibbidy
Bungie is one of the most tight-lipped developers out there. They will be things about Halo 3 that we won't know until we have it in our hands and start playing it.

Exactly. And there are already new things in Halo 3 that we DO know about, so what's with "it'll be the same old game" nonsense?
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts
I personally think Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or Mario Galaxy will do it. Even though these games are from the same old franchises we all know and love, their gameplay will be radically different from their predecessors and give us new, fun, and original ways to play and enjoy them. I predict that these two games will set the standards for how wii games should be made. Third parties are going to have to do their absolute best when making wii games if they want to compete with these two games, instead of just half a***** their games, and then wondering why they don't sell. Of course this is my opinion, so feel free to agree or disagree.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.shsonline

Exactly. And there are already new things in Halo 3 that we DO know about, so what's with "it'll be the same old game" nonsense?

what new things? new guns and grenades arent anything special. expect a traditional fps with more polish than usual.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shsonline
[QUOTE="shsonline"][QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.LoG-Sacrament

what new things? new guns and grenades arent anything special. expect a traditional fps with more polish than usual.

Why don't you read my post on page 1 or go to the Gamespot previews section for Halo 3. New guns and grenades is not even a quarter of whats new.
-Jeremy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#42 -Jeremy-
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Halo 3 won't do it because it's basically more of the same,however i have high hopes for gta 4,i thought gta vice city at the time should of received an 10,and i mean from gamespot,however i'm sure both halo 3 and gta 4 will score an 10 on ign and 1up,but i couldn't care less about there reviews because they have biased reviewers.

I'm sorry but any magazine/website that gave zelda:TP an 10 do not know there games well enough
shadow_lord_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 shadow_lord_11
Member since 2004 • 20792 Posts
mass effect or assassins creed.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shsonline
Halo 3 won't do it because it's basically more of the same,however i have high hopes for gta 4,i thought gta vice city at the time should of received an 10,and i mean from gamespot,however i'm sure both halo 3 and gta 4 will score an 10 on ign and 1up,but i couldn't care less about there reviews because they have biased reviewers.

I'm sorry but any magazine/website that gave zelda:TP an 10 do not know there games well enough
blacktorn

What's so revolutionary in GTA4 that its not "more of the same?" I already posted to people who didn't know better what was different in Halo 3.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="shsonline"][QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just out of curiosity, have they announced anything about new gameplay mechanics for halo3? all ive heard about is a mute button and a new grenade. i think they would need to add something more to get better than 9.6. but i havent really been following that game so maybe they did announce something else.shsonline

Why don't you read my post on page 1 or go to the Gamespot previews section for Halo 3. New guns and grenades is not even a quarter of whats new.

SORRY for forgetting vehicles. its not going to make any major improvements. so far, it sounds like you should save yourself $60 and stick with halo2
darkodonnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darkodonnie
Member since 2007 • 2384 Posts
Spore has the best chance I think
Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
Why changing something to Halo? Adding to much new things and changing gameplay can really mess up a perfectly good game. Anyway if Bungie makes the story ending original and very unexpected, Halo3 might get a higher score then you think. GTA IV, might get 9.6+, even tough it's the same as any other GTA game. It's just popularity, I don't even like it that much. and last, I think that the first game that will break that barrier will be a Wii mario game.