What will be the first game this-gen get a 10/10 from GS

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by drekula2 (1947 posts) 9 months, 4 days ago

Poll: What will be the first game this-gen get a 10/10 from GS (129 votes)

Halo 5 4%
Smash Bros. WiiU or 3DS 1%
Zelda (Wii U) 6%
The Witcher 3 8%
Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain 22%
Destiny 9%
Watch Dogs 2%
Uncharted 4 7%
Elder Scrolls Online 0%
None of the above , or Other 26%
yay!!! i like pancakes!!! 16%

I'm guessing Zelda or MGS5.

the others are likely going to be 9's (with a few upsetting 8's).

#51 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (987 posts) -

Where dah fk is Mario Kart 8..

#52 Posted by blamix99 (2065 posts) -

Maybe one of these or all :) phantom pain,the order,witcher 3,uncharted 4,zelda wiiu

#53 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Half Life 3

#55 Posted by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

Probably Metal Gear. Kojima's games are so technically impressive and well-designed that his ridiculous story told with the eloquence of a 12 year old will still be heralded as revolutionary. The game's going to be great gameplay wise, GZ is proof of this enough, but everything else will be mediocre (meaning story). Will still get a 9-10 I'm betting though.

#56 Posted by HipHopBeats (2909 posts) -

Is one website's opinion about a game you like really that important? The real question is, what will be the first game to get a 10 from YOU?

#57 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6695 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Metal Gear Solid 4 was already a near perfect game and despite a few flaws it is physically and mentally difficult to imagine a game with higher quality, but as the teaser MGSV: Ground Zeroes has proven, it actually is possible.

This could be an 11/10 for all we know.

#58 Posted by happyduds77 (1488 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Metal Gear Solid 4 was already a near perfect game and despite a few flaws it is physically and mentally difficult to imagine a game with higher quality, but as the teaser MGSV: Ground Zeroes has proven, it actually is possible.

Please tell me you're kidding.

#59 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

Monkey Poo Flinger II: Poo Gone Wrong

#60 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

scores are meaningless some of the time, any game that is over a 5 may be worth playing for someone if they really like the type of game.

Gamespot gave Theme Hospital a 5/10, and its probably one of my favourite games of all time. They gave Rumble Roses XX a 6/10 and thats probably the best fighting/wrestling game of all time also. Jagged Alliance BIA, 5/10 wtf? this game was very fun, only bad part was it didn't remake JA2 properly since it didnt use same voices or storyline.

So in closing, the first game to get a 10/10 will be the pancake game you mentioned in the poll.

#61 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (679 posts) -

No game will get a 10 this early in the gen. The standards are too high right now. Once these next gen standards go away and expectations are back to normal, then games will have a better shot at a 10.

I guess I'll make a prediction too. I'm going to say the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls on PS4 gets a 10. Kevin Vanord seems to love his Souls games, so I believe a current gen Souls game that makes a good deal of improvements has a chance of getting a 10.

#62 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Arkham Knight

#63 Edited by tonitorsi (8481 posts) -

I'd say the next gen GTA 6 or Naughty Dog's next big project.

#64 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21799 posts) -

A Nintendo game most likely, hell i think Tropical Freeze should have gotten a 10, it's a masterpiece.

Maybe a Naughty Dog game or MGS 5 TPP.

#65 Edited by Granny_Spanked (1326 posts) -

Titanfall

#66 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42980 posts) -

None of them.

#67 Posted by Netret0120 (2207 posts) -

MGS5

Some Naughty Dog game

Final Fantasy 15......lol

#68 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

@HipHopBeats said:

Is one website's opinion about a game you like really that important? The real question is, what will be the first game to get a 10 from YOU?

Good point, except there's gonna be a lot of people who are gonna wait another 1-2 years if not more to hop on the Gen 8 train. I know I'm gonna hold out on a PS4 tell mid-late 2015 and I'm gonna get a Wii-U w/e X comes out (that will probably the first 10 I give out in Gen 8).

#69 Posted by CDWJUSTIN (2078 posts) -

Titanfall will be the one and only 10

#70 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

IF it is a Sony/Microsoft console game - it will be a shallow super flashy movie wannabe game that lasts 10 hours if your lucky... and does not focus on gameplay.

IF it is a Nintendo game - it will be a fantastic art-style game with great gameplay.... but typically a short game also.

If it is a PC Game - oh who am I kidding.... critics are casual, console chavs are casual.... the easier and shallow wins. no 10/10s here... despite millions playing at peak.

#71 Posted by lostrib (37774 posts) -

@CDWJUSTIN said:

Titanfall will be the one and only 10

Did we go back in time?

#72 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2163 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@NoirLamia777 said:

Dark Souls 3.

Close,

Dark souls II is optimized for the pc, If you look at the difference between dark souls 1 on the pc and the consoles I expect something majestic from dark souls II on the pc.

Would be cool.

#73 Edited by bfmv2007 (289 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Think about it, Ground Zeroes might be getting mixed reviews right now, but the majority are still giving it between an 8 and a perfect 10. Now, if a 2 hour demo is getting 8's and 10's, imagine what the full game will get. If you guessed a 10, you are correct. Also Uncharted 4 will get a 10. Whichever one releases first will be the first 10. I think MGS will release before Uncharted tho. MGS and Uncharted are the only 2 games so far I think will get a 100% 10 out of 10. Other games are capable, but not 100% guaranteed.

The Witcher 3 could close the series out with a bang, and is definitely capable of getting a 10. I say at least a 9.5 on The Witcher 3. Halo I'm sure both will be 10 worthy, but I honestly believe it will get a 9 or 9.5. Destiny will be a perfect 10 in my book, but I predict a 9 or 9.5 from reviewers. We are also forgetting The Order 1886. While I don't quite think it will be a 10, it will for sure be one of the higher scoring games of 2014. Most likely an 8 or 8.5. Watch Dogs no. I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs, but something tells me it will get a few bad reviews. As for the Nintendo games, I'm not a Nintendo fan, so I wont comment on them. Bottom line, unless Destiny actually does get that 10 score, none of the 10 worthy games are releasing in 2014. With that being said, 2015 will be the year of 10's.

Also, The Elder Scrolls Online Free To Play. Coming late 2015/early 2016. I'm calling it now.

#74 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@bfmv2007 said:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Think about it, Ground Zeroes might be getting mixed reviews right now, but the majority are still giving it between an 8 and a perfect 10. Now, if a 2 hour demo is getting 8's and 10's, imagine what the full game will get. If you guessed a 10, you are correct. Also Uncharted 4 will get a 10. Whichever one releases first will be the first 10. I think MGS will release before Uncharted tho. MGS and Uncharted are the only 2 games so far I think will get a 100% 10 out of 10. Other games are capable, but not 100% guaranteed.

The Witcher 3 could close the series out with a bang, and is definitely capable of getting a 10. I say at least a 9.5 on The Witcher 3. Halo I'm sure both will be 10 worthy, but I honestly believe it will get a 9 or 9.5. Destiny will be a perfect 10 in my book, but I predict a 9 or 9.5 from reviewers. We are also forgetting The Order 1886. While I don't quite think it will be a 10, it will for sure be one of the higher scoring games of 2014. Most likely an 8 or 8.5. Watch Dogs no. I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs, but something tells me it will get a few bad reviews. As for the Nintendo games, I'm not a Nintendo fan, so I wont comment on them. Bottom line, unless Destiny actually does get that 10 score, none of the 10 worthy games are releasing in 2014. With that being said, 2015 will be the year of 10's.

Also, The Elder Scrolls Online Free To Play. Coming late 2015/early 2016. I'm calling it now.

I could make all kinds of arguements as to why your perspective is bulls*it... but given that a mediocre sequal like MGS4 .... got best graphics and 10/10 I wouldn't be suprised if these idiot critics jumped on it again.

Nah I doubt it...

#75 Posted by PsychoLemons (2119 posts) -

None, because standards have become higher nowadays.

#76 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@underdog123x said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@underdog123x said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@underdog123x said:

Star Citizen looks retarded

Thanks for your excellent insight. Please show yourself to the door, and be sure to smack yourself in the face on the way out.

Ok, enjoy your shitty game.

Wow, your trolling needs work lol.

Not trolling, just speaking fact.

Look: another anti-PC troll alt. Because we didn't already have enough.

First place every gen, you'll get enemies.

pc isn't in a generation retard,

but hating on star citizen is unwarranted regardless

#77 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

Half Life 3, if it comes
Halo 5 if it does superb.
Phantom Pain, another masterpiece by Kojima
Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog or The Order
Next Gen Dark Souls 3 or Skyrim
GTA6
Destiny seems like it has a chance too, interesting.

#78 Posted by Jankarcop (9629 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@underdog123x said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@underdog123x said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@underdog123x said:

Star Citizen looks retarded

Thanks for your excellent insight. Please show yourself to the door, and be sure to smack yourself in the face on the way out.

Ok, enjoy your shitty game.

Wow, your trolling needs work lol.

Not trolling, just speaking fact.

Look: another anti-PC troll alt. Because we didn't already have enough.

First place every gen, you'll get enemies.

pc isn't in a generation retard,

but hating on star citizen is unwarranted regardless

PC is included each gen. It uses the time span of the consoles of same gen.

#79 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72470 posts) -

Something that has no violence that Tom McShea likes or something that is really pro women from Petit

#80 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

Phantom Pain, no doubt.

#81 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@Jankarcop:

you can keep telling yourself that,

but it still wont make comparing pc to console logical.

#82 Posted by Jankarcop (9629 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@Jankarcop:

Then explain this forum and the fact that its been done for over 10 years here...

#83 Posted by pelvist (4871 posts) -

Though it could well deserve it, Star Citizen wont get 10/10 on GS because Its a PC game.

#84 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@killatwill15 said:

@Jankarcop:

Then explain this forum and the fact that its been done for over 10 years here...

hey ku klux klan is still active,

just because something had been done in the past,

does not mean it should be done further into the future.

the only thing you can compare pc is with is other pcs,

there is just to many variables and enhancements and components to compare to consoles.

#85 Edited by chocolate1325 (32550 posts) -

Probably the Phantom Pain I think that is the only one that has a chance. Uncharted peaked at number 2 and I don't that Ocarina will be topped and probably the next big Mario game won't come out till 2016.

#86 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5671 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

Phantom Pain. It's gonna happen.

Yep. If Phantom Pain properly expands on everything we saw in Ground Zeroes it's going to be an amazing game. I could easily see it being the best in the series.

... then again this is the same site that gave MGS3 AA while giving MGS4 AAAA as ass backwards as that is.

#87 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5671 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

ridiculous story told with the eloquence of a 12 year old will still be heralded as revolutionary.

Just curious, have you played GZ yet? Nothing revolutionary about it of course, but it seems Kojima finally found some balance to his story telling. There really isn't too much story to be had in the game, but what little story is there is actually told very well both in the cutscenes and the cassette tapes.

It feels nothing like the previous games. It doesn't over indulge and the tone is very serious. Surprisingly enough there was only one line that almost made me cringe as opposed to MGS4 where almost every other line made me want to puke.

"They played us like a damn fiddle!!!".... stupid line and terrible delivery. Everything else was ace though.

#88 Posted by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@MirkoS77 said:

ridiculous story told with the eloquence of a 12 year old will still be heralded as revolutionary.

Just curious, have you played GZ yet? Nothing revolutionary about it of course, but it seems Kojima finally found some balance to his story telling. There really isn't too much story to be had in the game, but what little story is there is actually told very well both in the cutscenes and the cassette tapes.

It feels nothing like the previous games. It doesn't over indulge and the tone is very serious. Surprisingly enough there was only one line that almost made me cringe as opposed to MGS4 where almost every other line made me want to puke.

"They played us like a damn fiddle!!!".... stupid line and terrible delivery. Everything else was ace though.

Loved GZ and I know TPP is going to be amazing gameplay wise, but the ending cutscene only reinforces my worst fears.

Bombs in vaginas, the operation.

Kojima's games frustrate me. They're technically amazing and IMO the best in the industry (I'm amazed that the Fox Engine can even run on the PS3 and 360 tbh), but his aptitude for storytelling is so incredibly mediocre. And the worst part is, he attempts to make all of his work melodramatic and emotional, then fills them with such absurdity and stupidity as soda drinking monkeys, singing girls cooking eggs, juvenile fecal humor, and the above spoiler. I can't take anything he does seriously, not to mention the way it's told is so convoluted and confusing it's not even worth trying plus the manner in which it's told is patronizing, preachy, and condescending.

If GZ is any indication of what's to come I know I'll enjoy TPP's gameplay immensely but I'll be making up my own story to go along with it. It is good to see that GZ kept cutscenes mercifully short and I think Kojima's probably taken the hint from MGS4's complaints. So if I'm playing most of the time the story won't be a big deal I suppose, but I just wish someone like Clancy (RIP) could write a realistic and down to Earth narrative and have Kojima design, because while he's a master of game design I find him to be an absolutely atrocious writer.

#89 Posted by AznbkdX (3226 posts) -

I picked Zelda only because I want it to do well. ;)

Mgs5 probably has a better chance on Gs then the rest. Im leaning more toward none though.

#90 Posted by kipsta77 (1016 posts) -

Whoever gives them the biggest "tip"

#91 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Loved GZ and I know TPP is going to be amazing gameplay wise, but the ending cutscene only reinforces my worst fears.

Kojima's games frustrate me. They're technically amazing and IMO the best in the industry (I'm amazed that the Fox Engine can even run on the PS3 and 360 tbh), but his aptitude for storytelling is so incredibly mediocre. And the worst part is, he attempts to make all of his work melodramatic and emotional, then fills them with such absurdity and stupidity as soda drinking monkeys, singing girls cooking eggs, juvenile fecal humor, and the above spoiler. I can't take anything he does seriously, not to mention the way it's told is so convoluted and confusing it's not even worth trying plus the manner in which it's told is patronizing, preachy, and condescending.

If GZ is any indication of what's to come I know I'll enjoy TPP's gameplay immensely but I'll be making up my own story to go along with it. It is good to see that GZ kept cutscenes mercifully short and I think Kojima's probably taken the hint from MGS4's complaints. So if I'm playing most of the time the story won't be a big deal I suppose, but I just wish someone like Clancy (RIP) could write a realistic and down to Earth narrative and have Kojima design, because while he's a master of game design I find him to be an absolutely atrocious writer.

If you're playing a Metal Gear Solid game for story, you're doing it wrong. Outside of MGS1 and some moments in MGS3 the whole story around the series is pretty bad and not serious (like Akiba and his diarrhea).

#92 Edited by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

@Ballroompirate: Ground Zeroes has me hopeful though. It was obviously light on story but the cutscenes and voice acting are great. I'm sold on Sutherland for Big Boss's voice; he puts a lot more emotion into the character than Hayter ever did.

I still maintain MGS1 had the best story/voice acting/dialogue in the series, but it largely went downhill from there (MGS2 was okay, MGS3 was hit or miss, MGS4 was just awful).

#93 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

@Ballroompirate: Ground Zeroes has me hopeful though. It was obviously light on story but the cutscenes and voice acting are great. I'm sold on Sutherland for Big Boss's voice; he puts a lot more emotion into the character than Hayter ever did.

I still maintain MGS1 had the best story/voice acting/dialogue in the series, but it largely went downhill from there (MGS2 was okay, MGS3 was hit or miss, MGS4 was just awful).

MGS2 was pretty horrible story wise, same with MGS4...actually MGS4 was meh and not as bad as MGS2.

#94 Posted by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@princeofshapeir said:

MGS2 was pretty horrible story wise, same with MGS4...actually MGS4 was meh and not as bad as MGS2.

MGS2 was a lot better than MGS4, if you didn't take it seriously

The problem with MGS4 is it just retconned everything and tried way too hard to be taken seriously

#95 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

standards are too high at the moment give it another year then maybe we will see some high scores.

#96 Edited by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@MirkoS77 said:

If you're playing a Metal Gear Solid game for story, you're doing it wrong. Outside of MGS1 and some moments in MGS3 the whole story around the series is pretty bad and not serious (like Akiba and his diarrhea).

MGS games are centered around the story, look at 4. I struggle to even call it a game if cutscenes were chosen to be skipped. A strong narrative is essential to the overall structure of the past games. Again, my hope is that V's move into an open-world construct will help change the focus. If I'm able to play around in a large world and cutscenes and exposition is kept to an absolute minimum I'll be happy.

#97 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6695 posts) -

@happyduds77 said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

Nope, MGS4 was the best game of last gen, which is quite amazing considering TLOU was in the same gen.

#98 Posted by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

None of the above.

#99 Edited by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

MGS4 was not the best game of the last gen if you have any sort of standards regarding value for money.

I will never understand how people can excuse all of a games flaws for the sake of storytelling, MGS4 was only a 4 hour game when the cutscenes were skipped (regardless of gameplay quality, 4 hours is far too short), but to make things worse, Kojima filled the (now closed) multiplayer with microinstructions, you even had to pay for new character slots. Considering MGS4 was what it was and Ground Zeros was extremely short and overpriced, i'm sure Kojima has a cash grabbing plan up his sleeve for The Phantom Pain.

#100 Posted by happyduds77 (1488 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

@happyduds77 said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

Nope, MGS4 was the best game of last gen, which is quite amazing considering TLOU was in the same gen.

MGS 4 is no where near perfect. It has a horrible AI, NPCs keep respawning even after you kill them 100X (I am not exaggerating BTW), animations/movement are stiff and clunky, it has ridiculously long cutscenes, the pacing is awful and ETC?

MGS 4 is a standard stealth game and a horrible shooter. Nothing spectacular.