What will be the best looking open world game of 2014 ?

Edited 9 months, 14 days ago

Poll: What will be the best looking open world game of 2014 ? (79 votes)

Watch_dogs 6%
AC: Unity 23%
Far Cry 4 14%
GTA V 30%
Shadow of Mordor 5%
Dragon Age: Inquisition 22%

Watch_dogs

AC: Unity

Far Cry 4

GTA V

Shadow of Mordor

Dragon Age: Inquisition

What do you think will be the best looking open-world game of this year ?

I'm particularly impressed with how AC: Unity looks.

• The amount of NPCs on screen is insane
  • As you can hear in the interview, they've remade Paris on a 1:1 scale
  • So far there are no graphical downgrades from the original reveal trailer
#1 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10809 posts) -

Far Cry 4 or The Forest

Most amazing thing about The Forest is how early in development it is and the graphics have been upgraded considerably from Alpha .01 (Alpha is at .04 now)

#2 Edited by Gue1 (11190 posts) -

this is a hard poll because GTAV is obviously the most impressive one while Inquisition is easily the prettiest one... I have no idea for which one to vote between these 2.

#3 Posted by scatteh316 (5021 posts) -

The Witcher 3 or GTA5 on PC...

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17471 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

this is a hard poll because GTAV is obviously the most impressive one while Inquisition is easily the prettiest one... I have no idea for which one to vote between these 2.

Yeah, Inquisition looks really pretty. But I haven't seen anything from GTA V that blew me away, but the again, we haven't seen much of that game. I'm hoping for some screenshots soon :)

@scatteh316 said:

The Witcher 3 or GTA5 on PC...

I'm lucky The Witcher 3 isn't coming out this year, or there would be no need for this poll :P

#5 Posted by sailor232 (5054 posts) -

I chose Inquisition but with Mods I can see gta5 standing above anything else for years to come.

#7 Posted by PAL360 (27241 posts) -

GTAV on PC,PS4 and X1, or Assassin's Creed Unity.

#8 Edited by AznbkdX (3551 posts) -

I chose FC4, but honestly I'm not sure. All I know is that GTA V song in that trailer is pretty dope. Haven't googled it yet, but I'm wondering what the name of it is.

Edit: Dan Croll From Nowhere huh... pretty cool song.

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (42931 posts) -

Infamous?

#11 Edited by MirkoS77 (8159 posts) -

Probably GTA V.

#13 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17275 posts) -

No Infamous: Second Son?

Is that a wolverine in FC4? HaHa! I like it already. Yeah, I'd be running away too.

#14 Posted by parkurtommo (27652 posts) -

Sorry guys, a port from last gen will not be the best looking open world game. I expect AC Unity to be the best.

#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17471 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED: Yeah, the forest did look good from the screenshots and videos I saw. But I don't know if it can contend with the high budget open world games.

@sailor232 said:

I chose Inquisition but with Mods I can see gta5 standing above anything else for years to come.

Yeah, GTA 5 could end up looking really good. But it'll depend also on how good the PC port is and how moddable it is...

@AznbkdX said:

I chose FC4, but honestly I'm not sure. All I know is that GTA V song in that trailer is pretty dope. Haven't googled it yet, but I'm wondering what the name of it is.

Edit: Dan Croll From Nowhere huh... pretty cool song.

It's actually the baardsen remix ;)

I also looked it up after watching the trailer again, it is a very nice song indeed. Turns out it was on the GTA V OST which I own XD

@scottpsfan14 said:

I have to say that GTA V will look amazing on PC and next gen consoles. But I also have to say that Assassins Creed Unity will most likely be the best looking game. It's a full next gen game and you can see the difference from AC4 straight away. Looks like CGI in comparison.

Yes. When Assassin's Creed came out on last gen consoles, it was a really incredible looking open world game. The cities looked amazing, draw distance was good and what made it stand out was the amount of NPCs which you could walk by, and Altair would interact with them (i.e. push them aside)

I can see this new AC being another milestone for this generation, like the first AC was 7 years ago.

@freedomfreak said:

Infamous?

-_-

I knew I forgot something.

#17 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17471 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

Sorry guys, a port from last gen will not be the best looking open world game. I expect AC Unity to be the best.

Rockstar could've been working on current gen GTA V for as long as the last gen version, making it not a port. But making the PS3 and 360 version very scaled down versions.

#18 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17471 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

@R4gn4r0k: Yep AC Unity is the 8th gen equivelent to AC1. There is definatly a generational jump from the two.

Have you watched the video in the OP ?

I really hope they can make true what they are claiming. A 1:1 version of old Paris (so not as big as current Paris) would be very impressive.

And the amount of NPCs on screen can go from 1500-5000 (if I heard that correctly)

#19 Posted by AznbkdX (3551 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah I saw that it was the Baardsen remix on Youtube. GTA has pretty good music for its trailers and normally in game too. Too bad I have never been a fan of GTA. :P

#20 Posted by freedomfreak (42931 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

-_-

It's okay.

#21 Edited by Sollet (7512 posts) -

Well Infamous Second son looks damn good.

Maybe AC Unity or perhaps GTA V on PC.

#22 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17471 posts) -

@AznbkdX said:

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah I saw that it was the Baardsen remix on Youtube. GTA has pretty good music for its trailers and normally in game too. Too bad I have never been a fan of GTA. :P

I am a big fan of GTA. A fan of open world games in general, I'm going to play all of these games in fact...

What open world games are you looking forward to ?

@freedomfreak said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

-_-

It's okay.

#24 Edited by pelvist (5207 posts) -

DAI looks gorgeous but I have a feeling the game will be shit.

#25 Posted by gpuking (3071 posts) -

So far it's In famous SS but later in the year it could be AC Unity. FC4 looks good too but need to see more.

#27 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17471 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Please somebody tell me the song that's playing in the GTA 5 trailer? It sounds classic. God I love this game :')

Dan Croll - From Nowhere (baardsen remix)

@scottpsfan14 said:

No doubt. I trust them. That was actually the Xbox One version. So I expect the PC version to have something over it obviously. But I also heard that Ubisoft are aiming for 1080p 60fps on both consoles. Sigh, WD lie anyone? However they might actually achieve this if they are using more up to date SDK's. Who knows. There is far more going on onscreen in ACU than pretty much any game I've ever seen so far lol. So I hope they will pull it off. I don't think they will pull another WD stunt.

Yeah, now they are claiming 1080/60 but close to release they'll say: "1080p in an open world game is very hard to achieve"

I really hope it does achieve 60fps though, the parkour and combat looked very fluid and I want it to stay that way. I wonder what kind of PC it'll take to max it out and achieve 1080/60

I'm positive so far because the reveal trailer was not CGI and the gameplay they showed at E3 looked as good.

#28 Posted by Ben-Buja (2767 posts) -

I have no doubt that the PC version of GTA V will look stunning, especially after modding.

AC Unity looks insane as well though, like a true next gen game. (If that's how it actually looks though, we know Ubisofts habit of downgrading)

#29 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

Elite Dangerous looks very impressive. why its not on poll?

#32 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17471 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:

I have no doubt that the PC version of GTA V will look stunning, especially after modding.

AC Unity looks insane as well though, like a true next gen game. (If that's how it actually looks though, we know Ubisofts habit of downgrading)

True, Ubisoft does have a habit of downgrading.

But they are still releasing 3 great looking to impressive looking open world games this year, which is a feat. Even if Watch_dogs could and should've looked better.

@system-reboot said:

Elite Dangerous looks very impressive. why its not on poll?

Open galaxy game ?

@scottpsfan14 said:

Yes it was definatley one of the pretty ones at E3. ACU, TW3, TO1886, UC4, Batman AK, CoD AW, were the best looking games at E3. Am I missing any other next gen games? BF Hardline just looks like BF4. Nothing new :(

CoD: AW is also a feat. Because last years COD didn't look next gen at all. Dunno if AW can match the best looking games, but I still like what Sledgehammer has done with the engine i.e. improve it... learn from that IW.

No doubt BF: Hardline will be a good looking game too. Battlefield 4 is a great looking game too. And especially the naval strike maps are impressive. The lighting in Operation Mortar makes BF4 one of the best looking games around.

And then there is Uncharted... really want to see some gameplay from that :P

#33 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (4811 posts) -

The problem is that if we go by pure graphical level, i'd say Infamous wins, but, and i don't know the full size of SSeattle but i've heard it's about the same has Infamous 1, it really isn't that big, and seems empty.

Contrast that to AC Unity, which doens't look has good as ISS from the graphical detail in it's world, and the matter of particle effects on Ifamous. But the huge crowds being rendered on screen was amazing, and if it can keep a stable frame rates, that's another point to.

So we'd really have to take into consideration map, population density, different assets, particle effetcs, and so many that it'd be problmatic, and hoenstly, nobody will ever agree on anything.

If i'd have to guess, i'd say GTA 5 on PC, with mods.

#34 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17471 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

The problem is that if we go by pure graphical level, i'd say Infamous wins, but, and i don't know the full size of SSeattle but i've heard it's about the same has Infamous 1, it really isn't that big, and seems empty.

Contrast that to AC Unity, which doens't look has good as ISS from the graphical detail in it's world, and the matter of particle effects on Ifamous. But the huge crowds being rendered on screen was amazing, and if it can keep a stable frame rates, that's another point to.

So we'd really have to take into consideration map, population density, different assets, particle effetcs, and so many that it'd be problmatic, and hoenstly, nobody will ever agree on anything.

If i'd have to guess, i'd say GTA 5 on PC, with mods.

Well, it all depends on what you prefer.

Could be a really huge world, but an empty one

Or it could be a really small world, but with lots of things to do and lots of details.

GTA V was pretty impressive because it was so huge, but there were still areas with lots to see. We don't know yet about how all those games will look exactly, except for Infamous and Watch_dogs but from what we've seen I think we can make an educated guess.

Anyway, this is just a showcase for all the beautiful looking open world games we have this year. No matter if GTA V beats Far Cry or Unity beats Infamous... all of these games look spectacular.

#37 Edited by jake44 (2043 posts) -

I'd say Far Cry, but I can't wait to see GTA V on PC.

#38 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -
@scottpsfan14 said:

Uncharted 4 trailer was real time confirmed.

Didnot they confirmed everytime? every time they show at E3 they say its real time than final version turn out..

#39 Posted by parkurtommo (27652 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@parkurtommo said:

Rockstar could've been working on current gen GTA V for as long as the last gen version, making it not a port. But making the PS3 and 360 version very scaled down versions.

I doubt it... They must've spent a loooong time optimizing the game for ps3 and 360 because the visuals, despite being rendered at like 1 pixel resolution and upscaled to 720p look almost impossibly good for a last gen multiplat.

I think they put all of their recources in to those 2 versions, and that the new version will just be porting it over. I'm sure it will look fantastic, but not as impressive as AC Unity, no matter how much post processing gets put in to it.

#41 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -

GTA V with mods, without a doubt. ACU is looking really pretty, but it's still not as advanced as I:SS.

#45 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@faizan_faizan said:

GTA V with mods, without a doubt. ACU is looking really pretty, but it's still not as advanced as I:SS.

I disagree that ACU isn't as good as ISS graphically. ISS might have some sort of technical edge, but ACU looks more like CGI and the animations look amazing IMO. Even better than ISS. But yo see, like Infamous, ACU is a fully next gen game, and it shows. I am excited for GTA V by far the most though.

ACU still lacks screen-space reflections. Something that should have become a must in newer games, now.

#46 Edited by Sushiglutton (5480 posts) -

Hard to compare as they are ambitious in different ways. AC:U has massive crowds, large climbable buildings and lots of interiors. But it probably won't look the best up close. I'd say it will be the greatest technical achievement on the list though.

#47 Edited by Cloud_imperium (5751 posts) -

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter .

From the list , Dragon Age: Inquisition

#49 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10900 posts) -

Glad you didn't put Infamous SS on the list since it's not very open worldish