What were the best and worst years of this gen in your opinion?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45370 Posts

Worst

2013 - This was a transition period, so the previous gen still had some great games. But the launch of the current gen didn't have much to speak about.

Mixed Feelings

2014 - Gave me Bayonetta 2 and Divinity, but Metal Gear Ground Zeroes was a glorified demo. Titanfall was an Xbox exclusive, and lacked a campaign. Wolfenstein The New Order was actually not bad. I remember enjoying it. Watch Dogs was boring. The Evil Within was alright. Was pretty frustrating at times.

Good

2015 - Bloodborne was great. MGS 5, while it misses the Kojima factor, the gameplay is amazing, except for Boss Fights (again, missing the Kojima). Rainbow Six Siege came out, but was a work in progess. Black Ops 3 was not bad. Majoras Mask for 3DS which was awesome.

Great

2016 - Titanfall 2 which was multiplat and had a stellar single player. XCOM 2 which is one of my favorite games. Dishonored 2 and Doom were great. Forza Horizon 3 was awesome. Final Fantasy 15 turned out to be a pretty decent Final Fantasy game (except for lackluster campaign). Uncharted 4. Inside and Firewatch are great indie games. Battlefield 1 was great. Street Fighter V and The Division were meh.

2018 - God of War is a phenomenal game. Spider-Man was great. Smash Bros Ultimate was and is still awesome. Celeste is a great indie. Forza Horizon 4 is the best racing game in my opinion. Remake of Shadow of the Colossus which I still need to play, but it looks great. Battlefield V was eh.

2019 - Resident Evil 2 remake! DMC V! That alone carries this year lol. Modern Warfare is a return to form for COD. Astral Chain is a hidden gem, even though it sold a million units. Dirt Rally 2 is a great racing sim. The Outer Worlds was OK. Death Stranding was good, but definitely not what we hoped for. Luigi's Mansion 3 was a good addition to the series. Didn't play Fire Emblem Three Houses yet. Crash Team Racing is fun.

Awesome

2017 - the Switch came out. Breath of the Wild was amazing. Mario Odyssey deserves its props, although it's not my preference. Nier Automata was great. Resident Evil 7 was great. Horizon Zero Dawn has a lot of potential. I loved the environments and the dino-bots. Combat needs to be better. Divinity Original Sin 2 is a great game. Combat is great. It can be tedious though. Prey was just OK in my opinion. HellBlade was cool. Nioh is one of the best new IPs of this gen. Great job there. Sonic Mania was the best Sonic game in a long time. Mario 8 Deluxe is fun. Gravity Rush 2 is our niche hero. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was ok. Had great combat. Samus Returns was fun.

Undecided Yet

So far 2020 is looking great. I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 remake immensely COVID kinda screwed things up, but hopefully the second half of the year will rebound with the next gen consoles. That hype alone puts it in the Great bucket right now for me lol.

So those are my answers. What about you, SW? What were the best and worst years of this gen in your opinion?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25009 Posts

Best

2020: The year is not ended but we got Doom Eternal the best game of gen and one of the best FPS ever. we got Black Mesa the best remake of one of the best game ever. and we are getting Cyberpunk in later month. its so far best and looks even better.

Worst

2014: Easily worst as nothing good came out that year.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

2017 was the strongest year by far for me. Persona 5, RE7, Gravity Rush 2, Mario Odyssey, BotW...absurdly strong year

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44215 Posts

If you've owned an Xbox; the last couple decades have been sublime.

If not, well, you snooze you lose. :P

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11685 Posts

Best: 2015 and 2017

Worst: 2014 and 2016

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44417 Posts

I think it’s a toss up between 2017 and 2018 as my favourite years.

2017 had:

• Switch
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey

2018 had:

• Devil May Cry 5
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I’m sure that there was more I could put up there as well, this was just off the top of my head.

I guess that 2013 might have been the weakest as it was a transitional period but really I think there was a decent amount of good stuff every year.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45370 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Best

2020: The year is not ended but we got Doom Eternal the best game of gen and one of the best FPS ever. we got Black Mesa the best remake of one of the best game ever. and we are getting Cyberpunk in later month. its so far best and looks even better.

Worst

Wasn't Metro Exodus supposed to be the best game or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Best 2015, 2018 , (2016 only cause Oculus Rift and Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Worst 2014, 2017

Decent 2019

2020? we will see so far it's been shit.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghosts4ever

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Best

Worst

Wasn't Metro Exodus supposed to be the best game or something?

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

2014 stands out as the most underwhelming, comparatively.

2015-2017 was the glory run. 2018 was a slight downturn in quantity of quality games, but 2019 and 2020 to this point have been over par.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I thought 2013-2015 were pretty rough in general. The jump to "next gen" didnt feel as great and we didnt have a great selection of new games. It found its legs, though.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3235 Posts

Worst: 2014

Best: 2017

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7263 Posts

to me this has been a ps2 error again for me. ps 3 i could keep up with the games i liked coming out.

like the ps 2 the ps 4 has so many games that i have yet to play. i feel like im never going to catch up.

only reason i never liked first person shooters (sorry ghost4ever lol) i was always a third person and this gen there was so many to choose from but only playing maybe 8 hours a week there is no way i can keep up this gen even from third party games.

I do like first person in vr though. it changes everything.

I got vr and that alone has so many games i want to play.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7263 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Best

Worst

i don't mean this in a bad way but i feel bad for you this gen because last gen there was so many fps to choose from even sony had fps but this gen third person over and over again. i think this gen was the worse for fps. there was some goods ones but compared to last gen not so much.

i was always a third person this why i argue with you about last of us 2 or other tps lol.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@gifford38 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Best

Worst

i don't mean this in a bad way but i feel bad for you this gen because last gen there was so many fps to choose from even sony had fps but this gen third person over and over again. i think this gen was the worse for fps. there was some goods ones but compared to last gen not so much.

i was always a third person this why i argue with you about last of us 2 or other tps lol.

last gen had FPS in quantity but not in quality as it was full of COD clones, 6 hour short campaign with MP and regen health.

this gen FPS are better in quality when games like Black mesa, Doom and Eternal released.

but we have less FPS games. every game is now open world and third person and they all suck.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

2015 and 2018 were the best. 2019 was great as well.