What was your most hyped games of all time?

• 52 results
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

*Move to game discussion if possible*

I think this would a good topic to discuss with E3 just around the corner. False hopes, misleading demos, unfulfilled promises... which games were you really hyped for and did it exceed your expectations? You don't have to make a list like I did. What is GS's most hyped titles and was it that damn good?

10. Grand Theft Auto IV - Nope (Finished only one mission in that game)

9. The Last Story - Nope (Just wasn't a Final Fantasy quality title)

8. Mass Effect 3 - Not really. (Well it did until the very end)

7. Ninja Gaiden II - Nope (lol)

6. Resident Evil 5 - Nope (Came after RE4, that's the mistake)

5. Gears of War 3 - Exceeded (Perfect end to a trilogy and multiplayer is flawless)

4. Smash Bros Wii U - Exceeded (Online works! + Robin/Lucina, crapload of contents)

3. Final Fantasy XIII - Nope (Trailers looked amazing but it fell flat. Still an excellent game imo)

2. Pokémon Gold/Silver - Exceeded (Better than I thought actually)

1. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess- Nope (Expectations was really impossible to live up to)

Persona 5 and Fire Emblem If will likely jump the list in the top 5 but the quality of these titles are yet to be determined as they aren't out yet.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#2 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Yep, lived up to my expectations. It was exactly what I wanted.
  2. Mass Effect 2 - Yes, even though I prefer the leveling system and various armors you could get in the previous game.
  3. Mass Effect 3 - No. Well, it was until the ending. They dropped the ball at the 5 yard line with that one.
  4. The Witcher 3 - TBD
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Aww I liked twilight princess.

Bioshock infinite was a game I was hyped for and it somewhat met with my expectations.... until I played System Shock 2. Now all the bioshock games seems underwhelming.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#4 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - My most hyped game of all time. Met expectations.

Halo 3 - Campaign didn't reach the heights I wanted it to since we were "finishing the fight" but it was still a blast to play through countless times and with a stellar multiplayer that was fun online, over LAN, and with the Forge, I can't count how many hours have been spent on this game.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - I had a ton of fun with this so I'd say it met expectations.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Probably Halo 2. Used to be a huge Halo scrub back in school

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Wow, I feel old.

My most hyped game of all time was definitely Ocarina of Time. I remember first seeing the previews in EGM and thinking that it looked glorious. I thought it would be the first EGM reviewed game to get all 10's from the three reviewers...and then Metal Gear Solid came out and got there first.

It met and greatly surpassed my expectations. I remember asking my father for it for Christmas in 98 and it was sold out everywhere. Then he showed up one night with a bag and the game having paid $90 for the cartridge. I couldn't have been more grateful. I didn't sleep for almost 48 and played the whole thing straight through. Slept and then started it again looking for everything I missed. Haven't experienced that in a LONG time.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Finall Fantasy 13 - There are others , but this............................i cant even put it in words.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Duke Nukem Forever. Even made a hype thread.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Uncharted 2.

Didn't live up to expectations then but became one of my favorites of last gen later on.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Never in my life I've been more disappointed with a game.

-

Loading Video...

-

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Probably Diablo 3.. My friends and I literally have played diablo 2 off and on for years and years since it's release, putting in over a thousand hours each I am willing to bet.. Diablo 3 unfortunately didn't deliver with numerous problems, but fortunately Blizzard is smart.. They have been trying to improve the game with not only a expansion but numerous massive patches in making the game more enjoyable.. If only more companies would follow Blizzards footsteps in not flat out abandoning their games only a few months after release..

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Halo 3 was my most hyped, I hadn't played much of Halo before and so many people at school were so hyped for it that I ended up buying into it too. It was a nice social experience but the game itself did nothing for me.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Destiny followed closely by The Order, most hyped most disappointing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Resident Evil 5 and Final Fantasy XIII. Both coming off from what I feel were the high points of their respective series. RE5 was a pretty good game but FFXIII is hot garbage.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

1. Kotor- I bought this game before even owning a xbox

2. Skyrim- The wait for this game was brutal

3. TLOU- I still remember when ND first showed this game, I was sold on that moment even though we got very little information about it

4. WoW Wotlk- One of the few games I actually went to a midnight release, plus Arthas!!! come on we finally get to do battle with one of the best RTS characters of all time (**** Raynor)

5. Mass Effect 1- Holy shyt, when Bioware first showed off ME1 I was already willing to sell my soul for that game to be released like right nao

Honorable mentions/other hyped games/non failed hyped games for me

• Alien Isolation
  • ME2
  • Bloodborne
  • The Order (yes I enjoyed it)
  • Swtor
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Bayonetta 2
  • LoZ Twlp
  • State of Decay
  • The Witcher 3
  • Uncharted 3
  • Warhammer 40k Space Marine (yes a total random game, but I love 40k and this game was Bad ass)
  • RE4
  • RE Outbreak
  • Bioshock
  • MGS3

Games that I was hyped for but in the end they were pretty horrible-horrible/let me down

• Vanquish
  • Bioshock 3
  • Aliens Colonial Space Marines (sad panda)
  • MGS2
  • Wildstar
  • ES Oblivion
  • Two Worlds

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Halo 2, easily. The anticipation and hype for that game was just ridiculous.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Mass Effect 2(because I adored Mass Effect 1) & Halo 3(franchise debut on 360) are at the top of my list. Castelvania Lords of Shadow as well

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Delays and more delays to the sequel of two of my favorite games.

I hyped this game for 5 years and then blizzard ruined it with the real money auction house. That and the fact that they tried to incorporate some WoW elements.

It was disappointing to say the least.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

-Halo 3 (the campaign, but honestly the multiplayer too)
-Halo Reach (the campaign, and aspects of the multiplayer like bullshit ass armor lock)
-Metroid Prime 3
-Unreal Tournament 3
-Metal Gear Solid 4

Disappointments all of them. Since then my hype has been in check. Can't disappoint me if I'm not excited...except for MGS5 I actually legit am super pumped for that game. But I have a good feeling about this one.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Uhm... I don't know. Anything I love, really. Recently, Bayonetta 2. I went from butthurt to being totally overjoyed because it exists. And by God, I loved it.

The fact is, I'm okay with getting hyped over things I like. I'm more inclined to forgive them for stuff, because I'm just happy it's there. Tomb Raider, right? I love Tomb Raider. People come in, and talk shit about it. Some are right, some are not. But I'm not too bothered. Some are right, and I'll admit I'm able to forgive some of my fav games to pull some shit. It's bias. I have it. Not gonna bullshit anyone.

RotTR comes out soon-ish, I hope. Quote me, I'll be biased. Wow, she killed a bear, so much fun 10/10. That's the shit you'll be hearing from me, and I'm okay with that. Which pretty much means, don't listen to me if you want opinions, cuz I'm a scruffy, biased bastard.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Not really sure. I think it might have been either Pokemon Colosseum or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles though. No clue how it winded up being something completely out of the scope of most discussions though.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

5. Modern Warfare 2: Big expectations after playing Modern Warfare. I was naive to think that this game will bring a lot of new things on the table. Then I realized that this series just releases same thing in different skin in every year. I tried my best to like it. Tried to play it over and over again after seeing "GOTY Awards". Then I realized that Awards are nothing but popularity Contests. Killed the entire series for me.

4. The Witcher 2: Better than my expectations. Excellent Game. Liked it way more when I finished it 2nd and 3rd time. First time Story was confusing but that's why I like it.

3. Mass Effect 2: Exceeded my every expectations and my expectations were sky high. At one point I was afraid that due to my high expectations, it'll end up being a big disappointment but I was wrong and I'm glad that I was.

2. Diablo 3: After Playing Diablo 2 for a long long long time, it was nice to finally have a release date for Diablo 3... Played it, liked it but it was decent, nothing ground breaking. Great for other devs' standards but just decent for Blizzard's standards. In its current state it's excellent and I'm satisfied.

1. Splinter Cell Conviction: After seeing the end of Double Agent, this became my most anticipated game of all time. Followed every rumor, watched every video, read every interview, observed every leak, almost search for a new video almost every day on youtube. Anticipation was sky high. Ended up being a generic third person game with shitty story. A big disappointment.

I would've said Thief reboot as well but I was never hyped for it since from the very beginning it was looking like a disaster, dumbed down for bro gamers.

DrkeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrkeX
Member since 2003 • 645 Posts

Half-Life 2.

Back in the day, before STEAM and WON servers, playing CS 1.4/1.5 for hours.. I remember everyone including myself excited for HL2, I remember my family upgraded our computer around that time too.

Also Halo 2, my first Xbox Live game.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

personally...

Metroid Prime: Echoes - hype firmly met

Destiny - I actually think it's decent but hype not nearly met, not even close

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - hype met

Halo 2/Halo 3 - hype met imo

KoToR II - hype met

Mass Effect 2/3 - hype firmly met

Soul Calibur II - hype not met

Killer Instinct - hype met

Dragon Age II - hype not met but I enjoyed the story

Road Rage III - still waiting 20 years later [insert angry emote here]

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Recent-ish (2011-2015), not counting expansions and DLC:

1. Skyrim - At first I really liked Skyrim and thought it exceeded my hype. But the more I played the more apparent it became that the game wasn't good fundamentally. I liked exploring the world and coming across cool new areas, but anything in between that was just tedious and frustrating

2. Max Payne 3 - Hype met: a really, really fun game with the best TPS mechanics I've ever experienced. Sadly I beat it once and put it down since; unskippable cutscenes of Max walking down a hallway aren't very fun

2. Guild Wars 2 - Disappointing at launch and a lack of support from ArenaNet but it's still a fun game, if not the sequel that the original Guild Wars deserves

3. GTA V - Hype exceeded: best GTA game ever and the best open world game I'd played until The Witcher 3 came out

4. Super Smash Bros. 4 - Disappointing and the first Smash Bros. game I actually considered returning

6. Bloodborne - Hype just about met: the best PvE of any Souls game to date although the replayability, online, and character customization are disappointing

7. The Witcher 3 - My hype for this game fell off pretty hard for a year, so it's easy to say this exceeded my hype in every possible way. The game is just astounding in almost every capacity and breathes new life into story-driven RPGs while delivering one of the best open-world experiences of all time

***8. Metal Gear Solid V - This is my most-hyped game in recent memory, even more hyped than GTA V, and all signs point to it being GameSpot's first 11/10

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Every Zelda ever. Most do, the Wii and especially ds ones fell short though.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Ocarina of time

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Skyrim - no. After being so hyped for Skyrim and waiting for so long, it just fell flat for me. It was a great game, but it just didn't match up to oblivion to me.

Dark Souls 1&2 - yes, both games lived up to the hype. It took me a little longer to get into DS2 though

Age of Empires 3 - yes, since it got announced i was desperate to get this, and getting it day 1 i loved it. Unlike a lot of people here, i really liked the home city system.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

Mario 64 for me. I must be old.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 announcement trailers had me very hyped for release. They more or less met my expectations.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Final Fantasy XIII. I was super stoked for that shit. I was living in Japan when it was releasing. Bought the special edition PS3, the elixir soda set that came out in Japan, soundtracks, artbooks, guides... what a freaking let down. I enjoyed it while I was playing it because I felt like I was forcing myself to enjoy it. After I finished the game was when I realized it just wasn't good.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

Been hyped for many, but one that towers above all else in that regard is GTA San Andreas. And hell, yeah, it more than met the hype.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm going to have to go with Pikmin 3 here. It was nearly a decade long wait after the superb Pikmin 2. It met my expectations in terms of the story mode and exceeded my expectations in terms of the challenge mode. It's the best in the series to date (most complex, refined and well designed).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Far Cry 3 - I was really excited for this game

Far Cry 4 - This game came out from nowhere it was announced at last years E3 and we only had to wait a few months for the game to be released.

The Witcher 3 - Just finished a few quests I couldn't get into this game.

Tomb Raider -2013 The wait was brutal

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

Topping the list I guess I'd say....

Halo 2

Mass Effect 2

Both of which were a bit of a let down for me.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Mine was MGS2: Sons of Liberty. I remember when that game came out, you had to shank like 10 people just to get a copy where I was lol.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

The only time I've created a HYPE thread was for the standalone expansion XCOM: Enemy Within (not Enemy Unknown) for last gen. They were going to fix all the balance issues/bugs and add a shitload of new content.

What we ended up with was such an unbalanced mess than before that included several gamebreaking bugs (most notably corrupted saves) that made playing Ironman near impossible. It has never been patched to this day. No apologies by Firaxis, in fact no communication from the dev AT ALL.

For the people that were unlucky enough to have purchased such a mess of a game due to my HYPE thread, I am truly sorry.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Probably either Mass Effect 3 or Bioshock Infinite.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Chrono Trigger by far. And it managed to exceed my hype in every way. Good stuff. Followed by...

MGS4. Which managed to be the most disappointing sequel I've ever played.

Since then I've been really good about not letting hype get to me. I don't get balls out hyped for any game anymore, except for...

MGSV. Which may seem foolish after what I said about MGS4. Things are different this time though. Ground Zeroes was nothing short of excellent and all the previews look ace. So at the very least I know that the gameplay will be phenomenal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Majora's Mask 3D - met, had been wanting it since I played ocarina of time 3D, one of my favorite games of all time and it was even better this time around.

Twilight Princess - met, don't know why people don't seem to like this one, but I loved it

MGS4 - met, I've played this one more than any other game in the series awesome all around.

I'm sure there are others but those are what I can think of right now

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Donkey KONG COUNTRY BRAH

i opened it played all day an night the snow levels with snow coming in omfg an the monsters and the credits the bosses wowswers

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Oh dear, I remember games more for playing them than getting hyped for them. Also, many of my favourite games were ones I wasn't following before release.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. This met my expectations, of course!

Test Drive: Unlimited 2. I was hyped before it came out, and was kinda blown away for the first few hours. But it has fewer races than the first one, despite having more race types, and much more area. That actually makes it worse, since the game could easily have been vastly improved. Also, the "story" is horrible.

Simcity 2000. Oh boy was I hyped for this game, and it really delivered!

Forza Motorsport 4. Was slightly dissappointed (lost some tracks, new modes not all that fun) but it is still a really great game!

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Wolfenstein The New Order and Shadow Warrior.

Hype met and I am satisfied. Other than Mass Effect 3 I have never really been disappointed.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18251 Posts

From the ones i remember:

Super Smash Brawl - The hype was insane with all the reveals and the guest characters, learning that it was delayed over and over again was so painful, in the end it totally delivered, it was one of my most played games last gen.

Starcraft 2 - I was a huge, huge, huge Starcraft fan back in the days with the LAN parties and the campaign, so of course i was hyped for the sequel, in the end, i enjoyed it a lot, i did like the campaign, the multiplayer was so fun, even the Esports scene was insane, i remember getting up at 4 am in the morning to watch guys like Jinro, Idra, Boxer, MVP, etc.

Zelda TP - Like many, i was sold the minute i saw the first images of this game, and then they released the trailer, damn what a beautiful game, when i finally played it, well it was a Zelda game, a very well made one but far from my expectations, still a great game thought.

KOF XIII - KOF is my favorite figthing franchise, and after the disappointment that was KOF XII, i could hardly wait for KOF XIII, after watching everything they fix, the roster, the gameplay, man i was so hyped for this game and with good reasons, it easily became my most played game last gen, so many hours getting into the top 100 in the ranking, man what a great game, even with the mediocre online i still had tons of fun with it.

Bioshock Infinite - This was one of the few times i got really hyped for a FPS, i love Bioshock and when they announced Bioshock Infinite i was really interested, the end result was...ok, i did liked the game a lot, even the ending and its probably my favorite shooter from last gen but after everything is said and done, i don't think it was that great, just a good game.

Bayonetta 2 - Man what a joy to learn that Bayonetta was still alive and it was a WiiU exclusive, i put so many hours on the first game and the sequel is even better, so of course i played the heck out of it, worth every day i waited for it.

Zelda Ocarina of Time - The first game i was truly hyped, like counting the days for the release, and it all began the first time i saw that epic comercial on TV i drop my jaw, i couldn't wait for it, and in the end, well what can i say, my favorite game ever.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Zelda is what gets me most hypes. The hype is mostly met as well, outside of the lame DS titles.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

^Yeah, them DS Zeldas are pure garbage. It looks great from the debut trailers but when you actually get to play it....

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

Star Wars: The Old Republic by far. It was good, but not good enough to hold me for more than four months after launch. They weren't quick enough to come out with new content.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: It didn't live up to expectations but still it's a great game.
  • Halo 2: Didn't live up to expectations.
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The online was atrocious plus tripping so no it did not live up to expectations.
  • Metroid Prime 3: did not live up to expectations.
  • FFXIII: did not live up to expectations