What was the last game you finished without...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16477 posts) -

having read any reviews of it beforehand?

Honestly I can't really think of one in recent memory lol. I think I'd have to go back to PS1/N64 era.

#2 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9515 posts) -

Probably back when I was a kid.

#3 Posted by lostrib (33270 posts) -

No idea, i generally like to make informed purchasing decisions

#4 Posted by mems_1224 (46229 posts) -

IDK, whatever the last game I beat was. I rarely read reviews.

#5 Posted by Krelian-co (10227 posts) -

@lostrib said:

this, i always read on the internet before making any purchase, with the internet around why buy something without informing yourself first.

#6 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9936 posts) -

I read and watch multiple Reviews before. Always !

Last impulse game I purchased was Portal 2 only because I played it before and wanted to finnish it so I bought for myself. As for DiRT 2, I played the Demo and bought the game..... Twice !

Oh and I think I bought Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood impulsively but thats because I liked the original.

#7 Edited by XboxStache (912 posts) -

Frontlines- Fuel of War.

I couldn't find any good info on it; but it turned out being a great game.

#8 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29078 posts) -

Not sure, probably been a while. I usually enjoy reading reviews even if I'm already planning to get (or not to get) a game.

#9 Posted by bobbetybob (19124 posts) -

I don't really read that many reviews. I mean sure I'll catch the scores and if something was receiving overwhelmingly bad ones I might give it a pass or see why it was getting slammed, but I pretty much know what I'll enjoy.

#10 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3359 posts) -

I don't think I read any reviews before playing Dirt 3. Honestly, I forgot there was a third game until it was on sale for $5.

#11 Posted by Bigboi500 (29130 posts) -

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition last night.

#12 Posted by sixringz1 (1113 posts) -

Prob a madden game back in the ps2 days. They all got such high reviews every yr during that time (not anymore) that I would just buy it without reading any reviews.

#13 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25543 posts) -

Saints Row The Third. But it was a free/rental/whatever from PS+ so I had nothing to lose.

#14 Posted by glez13 (8574 posts) -

Way back in the magazine days probably.

#15 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8288 posts) -

I don't remember. Really. But I've played and finished a lot of games despite less than stellar reviews.

#16 Posted by cainetao11 (16587 posts) -

Splinter Cell Blacklist I guess. I wont need a review for MGS either. Some titles I just have grown to love, and I am an easy to please guy.

#17 Posted by Ballroompirate (22263 posts) -

I haven't finished it yet but I bought Soul Sacrifice w/o looking at any reviews. I know I'm gonna buy Titanfall and Dark Souls 2 w/o looking at any of the scores/reviews.

#18 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

That would be the last game I finished, which was Prototype. I don't bother reading reviews. I just look at Gamerankings and look at the average score. Anything about a 75% is fair game for me. I will watch video of the games though.

#19 Posted by Kevlar101 (6007 posts) -

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag.

I had ruined the surprise of both Revelations and ACIII by watching a bunch of trailers and reading and watching reviews. So with Black Flag, I wanted to go in with a completely open mind with almost no pre-game impressions. It paid off.

#20 Posted by Couth_ (9975 posts) -

Did you mean PREviews? I haven't read a review in like 5 or 6 years

#21 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

have bought games for cheap without looking at reviews but i find my self still looking the game up

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (87366 posts) -

Haven't finished many games at all.

Played many on recommendations that don't come anywhere close to the reviews (i.e. NIER).

#23 Edited by treedoor (7478 posts) -

I don't read reviews, so practically all of my games.

#24 Posted by Spartan070 (16326 posts) -

There are several games that I've fully pre-ordered and paid for without knowing much more than the release date, but no, not recently.

#25 Edited by CountBleck12 (22513 posts) -

Back when I was a kid, I had no internet back then.

#26 Posted by handssss (1798 posts) -

hardly ever watch/read reviews of anything. I either know I'm going to like the game regardless of what someone being paid to be heard says or I am hesitant, but ultimately trust the comments of people I know who bought the game/ consensus of gamers who made the purchase on the internet.

#27 Posted by SOedipus (6774 posts) -

I don't remember. It was some time in the 6th gen.

#28 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

Hard Reset on the PC. I saw the Bladerunner-sque setting and decided I wanted it.

Edit:

Finding out later that it's an arcade FPS (like the old-school ones) was a bonus.

#29 Posted by jake44 (1942 posts) -

I think it was GTA V.

#30 Posted by Minishdriveby (10157 posts) -

I don't really read reviews for games I'm going to buy. I'll watch a GB quicklook which is usually more informative than a review. Steam and smaller games have allowed that luxury of throwing caution to the wind on something that looks interesting, be it good or not.

#31 Posted by Lucianu (9312 posts) -

I check reviews, but that's not the deciding factor. To decide on a purchase i go on GAF for general opinions or on other good forums, as well as checking Youtube videos. After i've understood the consensus on a game, and if it interests me, i grab it.

#32 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

@treedoor said:

I don't read reviews, so practically all of my games.

neither do i

#33 Posted by getyeryayasout (7055 posts) -

Often, but only with PSN and XBLA games. I try the demo, if I like it, I buy.

#34 Edited by Netret0120 (1999 posts) -

AC4

I had never played an AC game and the deal was great so i bought it and only watched a review after i beat it. Worth it.

#35 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69738 posts) -

Damn, i don't know, i usually do it all the time. Depends on the game though

#36 Posted by jsmoke03 (12612 posts) -

@lostrib said:

same. even if i know a game reviews badly, i still want to know what im getting into.

#37 Posted by speedfog (2982 posts) -

Duke Nukem forever

The game was here a week out before it launched in the rest of the world. pretty weird anyway I had a blast playing it. I found then 0 reviews about it.

#38 Posted by padaporra (3389 posts) -

Metal Gear Rising.

#39 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

I haven't used reviews to make any purchasing decisions, since 2008. I don't need them.

#40 Posted by Jag85 (4354 posts) -

Probably the PS2 era.