What was the first game you bought with your own cash?

• 73 results
#1 Edited by IgGy621985 (4598 posts) -

So we all had someone to buy games for us before we started earning by ourselves, whether if that was our parents, grandparents, brother, sister...

Four simple questions:

- how old were you?

- how did you earn that money? (including both allowance/gift money and your first paycheck)

- what game(s) did you buy?

- how did you feel when you bought it?

----

I'll start.

- I was around 11 years old.

- by doing chores around the house, and saving cash my grandma gave to me for my birthday that year.

- Command & Conquer: Red Alert.

- I was elated. I still couldn't believe I actually bought a game with my own money. Well, my mom bought it for me, but it was with my money.

- first game I bought with my first paycheck was Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition. I was 19.

#2 Posted by lostrib (33025 posts) -

So this includes allowance and gift money?

#3 Posted by IgGy621985 (4598 posts) -

@lostrib said:

So this includes allowance and gift money?

Yeah, why not

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (38685 posts) -

I was 14. Bought MGS: Snake Eater.

Got the money from human trafficking.

I felt accomplished. I made myself happy through the suffering of others. The American way.

#5 Posted by lostrib (33025 posts) -

@IgGy621985: just checking. Man I really have to think about it then

#6 Edited by Animal-Mother (26318 posts) -

Hmmmmm

Gex for the N64 with my saved allowance.

I was 10-11?

#7 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Gundam Battle Assault. I remember because I also bought a few toys that day.

Doing chores.

How does a child feel when he buys his own game? Happy, proud, excited to put that sucker in.

#8 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11483 posts) -

I think it was the One Piece GBA game when I was 13.

#9 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13067 posts) -

If gift money counts, it was battlefield 1942, had so much fun with that game.

The money came from my grandparents for my birthday.

With my own money? It might have been symphony of the night. really not sure however as my parents did purchase alot of my games when I was younger.

Now I just get everything for free, the MasterRacist way.

#10 Posted by FinalFighters (1353 posts) -

first game i purchased with my own money was the import copy of street fighter III Double impact for dreamcast, along with the official dreamcast fight stick.

#11 Posted by IgGy621985 (4598 posts) -

Okay, I modified the questions about the earned money a bit:

- how did you earn that money? (including both allowance/gift money and your first paycheck)

#12 Posted by lundy86_4 (42844 posts) -

I think it was FF7. I bought it with my pocket money.

#13 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3346 posts) -

Oh boy, I can't remember exactly. It must've been something for the Wii. I know I bought my second Wii with my own money. I think the first game I bought with my own money was Medal of Honor Heroes 2 back in 2007. I put so much time into that game. I must've been 14. I got it with Christmas money. Felt good buying it.

#14 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11483 posts) -

I bought mine with allowance. I may have bought a game before that, but I don't remember lel

#15 Edited by gameofthering (10081 posts) -

I don't remember :(

#16 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6038 posts) -

I was 35. Ryse: Son of Rome.

I earned money from glory holelin' at a rest stop.

More serious. Two Crude Dudes on Genisis. Age unknown.

#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (46997 posts) -

My first job at McDonalds, didn't really buy a game during the summer or anything like that, but Metroid Prime came out that year. So that's probably it. otherwise it might have been a used game before it, but looking at that year, I didn't notice a game that would have come out that I remember buying or even playing around that time.

#18 Posted by Raptor_Herc (167 posts) -

Monster Truck Madness 2 (PC), at the age of 9 with my allowance money.

#19 Posted by blamix (192 posts) -

Got mine when i was 16, our neighbors went on a 1 wk vacation. I fed they're dog for 1 week, got money ang bought FFXII

#20 Posted by bobbetybob (19114 posts) -

Probably medal of honor, use birthday money for it when I was about 11.

#21 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

Formula One which was included with the PSOne I bought.

#22 Posted by marcheegsr (2457 posts) -

I have a older brother which bought most of the games for us growing up with his money.

But I think the first one I bought with my money was San Andreas for ps2. I will never forget that day. EPIC!

#23 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13870 posts) -

I was like 8 years old maybe. Bought Rollercoaster Tycoon for the PC.

#24 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6562 posts) -

I was 14. Bought MGS: Snake Eater.

Got the money from human trafficking.

I felt accomplished. I made myself happy through the suffering of others. The American way.

Congrats on your success.

#25 Posted by Big_Pecks (5230 posts) -

I think I bought Pokemon Sapphire and FireRed at the same time.

#26 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15885 posts) -

Star Raider for Atari 2600.

#27 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4060 posts) -

lets see. i was too young to drive. possibly still in primary school (elementary school). i think i had to do a lot of painting of fences, making cups of tea in the morning for parents - all manner of exploitation.

honestly, i can't remember if i had my commodore 64 before or after a sega master system, i might have had them at the same time. we also got a 486 DX 50 MHz PC in 1994.

but some of the earliest games i remember buying include, Doom 2, Theme Park, Turrican and Turrican 2, Bomberman (C64), Bubble Bobble.

#28 Posted by inb4uall (5236 posts) -

bought a used gameboy color and used pokemon silver. it was like $40 all together. It was also the first video game I ever owned.

#29 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (675 posts) -

My first job at McDonalds, didn't really buy a game during the summer or anything like that, but Metroid Prime came out that year. So that's probably it. otherwise it might have been a used game before it, but looking at that year, I didn't notice a game that would have come out that I remember buying or even playing around that time.

You were able to work when you were 14? What state/country do you live in?

#30 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

I believe it was Frogger for Atari 2600. Allowance.

#31 Edited by Dilrod (4239 posts) -

I'm about to show my age here. I was 8, did chores and saved my money, my mom let me skip school and took me to the mall (Sears) and got pacman the day it came out for the Atari 2600. :-)

#32 Posted by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

usually 14 is when you can start working, with a permit of course.

#33 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (675 posts) -

@UnbiasedPoster said:

@jg4xchamp said:

usually 14 is when you can start working, with a permit of course.

Interesting, always thought it was 15.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (29177 posts) -

Monster Truck Madness 2 (PC), at the age of 9 with my allowance money.

What an amazing game.

Diablo 1 from allowance\cash gifts.

I was 9, I was waking up early in the week-end mornings to play it alternatively with my brother.

Still have my boxed copy,then bough Hellfire later

#35 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2558 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing. I was 10 (I think).

#36 Posted by getyeryayasout (7032 posts) -
#37 Posted by kingtito (4792 posts) -

Indy Racing Atari 2600

#38 Edited by SolidTy (42025 posts) -

I can't remember all the specifics, but it was a few games and they were for Atari 2600 and Intellivision. I think it was Demon Attack (Intellivision), Tron (Atari), Baseball (Intellivision), B-17 Bomber (Intellivision and supported voice technology, LOL) and a few others. I fondly remember the day I bought Metroid for $79.99ish, being excited to take that home. Same for Bad Dudes on NES. I played countless arcade games with my own money prior though, we're talking hundreds of dollars in arcade playing.

#39 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

I honestly can't remember but it was probably a Pokemon game on Gameboy.

#40 Edited by mems_1224 (46182 posts) -

lol Probably Halo 3.

#41 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12768 posts) -

Dragon Warrior on the NES. I was 10 and earned the money by babysitting and cutting grass. I didn't plan to buy any specific game, I just wanted a new game, and when I went to the shop that's the one that caught my eye.

#42 Posted by kitty (114461 posts) -

Four simple questions:

- how old were you?

- what game(s) did you buy?

- how did you feel when you bought it?

1. I believe I was 5 or 6.

2. I believe it was birthday money :P Hard to remember that far back.

3. It wasn't a lot of my money, but it was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I remember this because I got what I wanted, which was a Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog.

4. Pretty happy, I got the three things I wanted on the same day.

Side note, sonic the hedgehog is probably my most played game of all time.

#43 Edited by Ballroompirate (22212 posts) -

RE1, back when it had that ugly ass bulky black case that had Chris looking like someone who was on roids and was tripping balls.

#44 Edited by adders99 (2579 posts) -

AFL 99 on PS1 I am pretty sure was the first game I bought for myself.

#45 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5639 posts) -

Good topic...

Having thought about it for a while, I'd say it had to be a PS1 game (as PS1 was the first console I personally owned, and not the whole family). I'm pretty sure it was Time Crisis, which included the gun attachment. It was all from Christmas money. I was around 7 or 8 I reckon.

#46 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24547 posts) -

Shoot you can't just say that. It's been too long.

#47 Posted by uninspiredcup (7542 posts) -

My friend that's a great question, one I cannot remember.

Jedi Knight II was the last title I specifically remember going into a store and ordering a pimply faced pc gamer to give.

#48 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4028 posts) -

I was 6 in 1991 when I bought the SNES, which of course came with one of the greatest games of all time. Super Mario World was like nothing I had experienced before. The move from stage to stage progression in Super Mario Bros 2 to World Map of 3 was perfected with multiple branching paths and secrets. It was really a thing of beauty. I miss those days. Everything nowadays is about production value and cinematic experiences. I feel like the grumpy old man complaining about today...

#49 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16417 posts) -

I don't really remember. I know the first console I bought on my own was the PS2, right around when it first came out. The first game I got for it was Gran Turismo A-Spec even though I wasn't really a fan of racers.

#50 Edited by TheFlush (5460 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda on NES, back in 1990 when I was 10. I suppose I bought it with my saved up allowance.