What was the first game that gave you nightmares?

• 86 results
#1 Edited by Shewgenja (8907 posts) -

As some of you know, I've pretty much been a gamer since I was 4. I've noticed that a lot of you grew up with videogames as well and figured this would be a fun thread idea.

When I was 7, my grandma of all people, got me Castlevania II: Simon's Quest as well as Top Gun for the NES for my 8th birthday. Not wanting to wait a week to get into it, I remember opening the box and going to the bathroom to read the manual (as I was oft to do at that age) and thinking along the lines of "Oh cool, kind of like a ghost story thing." Of note, I did not hear of nor play the first Castlevania so this was all new to me.

Lo and behold, that evening I finally get some "TV time" from my mom and sister and put this puppy in. Spookiest title theme music EVER! So, I went from "This looks like a fun game" to "Oh, I almost pissed myself and haven't hit Start yet." All went well, though. It's a lovely day in the starting village and I already have some holy water and my whip. I start to venture to the right of town and DUN DUN DUN!

But that wasn't really the worst part, as you well know. After all, the monsters got tougher but the big hearts started dropping like candy as well. I can hang with this game. It was scary and frightening, but I could do this and it was a nice departure from what games I had played before. Then, shit got real..

This LOVELY little place is just where a happy 7 year old Shewgenja needed to end up a week before his 8th birthday, lemme tell ya! Cruising along at a good clip, I managed to make it here before the end of the night, so the music progression all throughout up to this point went from the sing-songey yet foreboding town music to the brisk and fresh daytime music in the forest to the hurried and haunting nighttime curse music to the positively frantic mansion/dungeon theme. My heart was beating and the monsters here were clearly a step up from everything outside. It was giving me that same rush that Ninja Gaiden gave me! Still, the atmosphere was dark and foreboding and.. Was that dead people hanging from the ceiling on chains?

Yes, that was a bunch of dead people hanging from the ceiling on chains in this mansion where clearly a deranged psycopath lunatic lives. I had to pause the game.. This unrelenting morbidness was a bit much to handle for young me. I was fully creeped out and scared to hell and back as to what would happen when I plunged the stake into the orb. I was terrified as to what would happen! At this point, my sister had wandered out of her room and wondered why I had just paused the game and sat there with a cup of water looking white as a sheet of paper.. All I could muster up was "This game is pretty scary." At that point, not wanting to look like a little kid in front of my older sister, I proceeded to plunge the steak in and get Draculas freaking dead bone which was somehow a shield.

Being utterly grossed, weired and horrified out at this crazy game at this point, I decided to make my way back to the village and save my game. Then I tried Top Gun to kinda give myself a break. Later, I went to sleep and had insane nightmares about dead bodies hanging from the ceiling of my house and my school being overrun with sinister zombies. I woke up in the middle of the night and went back to sleep and still had another nightmare about corpses being all over the streets because a werewolf was loose in my neighborhood. Simon's Quest thoroughly conquered my subconscious and I didn't play that game again for at least another month afterward thanks to that.

So, System Wars, what was the first game that gave you nightmares?

#2 Edited by Gamerno6666 (1119 posts) -

Dangerous Dave. the game was freaking hard and I was scared of those horrible death animations. never finished those games though.

But now I find it funny.

#3 Posted by lostrib (36274 posts) -

I don't think any of them. I don't play horror games

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

RPGs ! Those stats, they just get in your head and gang rape your brain, everytime I close my eyes the Stats would come for me... :(

#5 Edited by jg4xchamp (47944 posts) -

Never had them.

Got nightmares as a kid from movies, but never video games.

#6 Posted by Aljosa23 (24887 posts) -

Sonic Colors. Played it for the first time a few weeks ago, been having nightmares ever since.

#7 Posted by cainetao11 (17423 posts) -

Never had them.

Same. Seeing the exorcist in 1979 was my first set of nightmares.

#8 Edited by locopatho (20241 posts) -

This goofy fucker. He looks normal here but his googly eyes are always rotating and he spins and cavorts all around the place jerkily and unpredictably. He sickens me :)

#9 Posted by happyduds77 (1451 posts) -

Alan Wake, the subHD resolution gave me nightmares

#10 Posted by glez13 (8779 posts) -

I have played plenty of horror games and while some of them did scare me enough to just play them in short bursts, never had a nightmare that was clearly related to one of them.

#11 Posted by ni6htmare01 (939 posts) -

Jump man from Atari 800XL

#12 Edited by Phazevariance (10950 posts) -

The 7th Guest gave me nightmares when I was a kid... it was not really a kids game I suppose but now a days the graphics completely take away from the atmosphere.

#13 Edited by freedom01 (650 posts) -

I dont know why, but that stage, or actually the clowns, gave me nightmares whenever I played that stage when I was a kid

#14 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

I had many nightmares in which my Pokemon Red data was erased by some stupid kid. It actually happened to, so I'm probably magical or psychic in some way or another.

#15 Posted by getyeryayasout (7420 posts) -

I don't recall nightmares, used to dream of falling Tetris blocks pretty regularly though.

#16 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5421 posts) -

#17 Posted by Shewgenja (8907 posts) -

I dont know why, but that stage, or actually the clowns, gave me nightmares whenever I played that stage when I was a kid

I have a friend who is very afraid of clowns, too. It's a phobia, actually.

#18 Posted by freedom01 (650 posts) -

@freedom01 said:

I have a friend who is very afraid of clowns, too. It's a phobia, actually.

I dont know why, clown just creeps me out, I think it was after watching that movie "IT" the one with the killer clown

#19 Edited by Gue1 (9843 posts) -

These guys always gave me nightmares as a kid. I could only play the games during the day and even then it was too much for my mind

#20 Posted by B4X (4433 posts) -

I hated the guy in Clock-tower with the scissors... No nightmares though.

My poor nephew did. :p

I went on a LOST series binge... I was having dreams I was on the Island.. That count?

#21 Edited by Heil68 (44133 posts) -

Dance Central with kinect(lol).

#22 Posted by Chutebox (37067 posts) -

Friday the 13th game on nes I think it was

#23 Edited by Shewgenja (8907 posts) -

Dangerous Dave. the game was freaking hard and I was scared of those horrible death animations. never finished those games though.

But now I find it funny.

That's actually some pretty gruesome stuff!

#24 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1119 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

These guys always gave me nightmares as a kid. I could only play the games during the day and even then it was too much for my mind

Dang it man screw you. Just wanted to see the reply and this pops up.

#25 Edited by freedomfreak (40203 posts) -

Maybe those point and click Dracula games.

#26 Edited by Seabas989 (10207 posts) -

None but to be fair I haven't played that many survival horror games.

Movies on the other hand...

#27 Edited by pelvist (4737 posts) -

Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Megadrive. Not so much a nightmare, it was quite cool actually. I played the game so much on the day I got my Megadrive that I went to bed and dreamed about being in the bonus stage bouncing off walls. Ill never forget it.

#28 Posted by PonchoTaco (2074 posts) -

Probably Mario 64. I remember having a dream where Bowser was in my pantry and every one was freaked out to open the door.

#29 Posted by KungfuKitten (20994 posts) -

I played Another World when I was 7 or so, and that gave me nightmares. I think the worms that would cut your shins and one hit kill you were the thing that did it.

#30 Edited by lamprey263 (23638 posts) -

Games have never given me nightmares, but they have unnerved me a good deal.

I remember playing Alone In The Dark one day and the game really scared me. That was probably the first scary game I can remember.

#31 Posted by KingsofQueens (2214 posts) -

None. Not a single video game gave me nightmares. The first Silent Hill had disturbing levels, but far from scaring the hell out of me.

The Exorcist film was probably the only form of entertainment that scared the shit out of me. Not even the Freddy Krugers, the Jason Voorhees, or Mike Myers or any slasher flix would do any damage either.

#32 Posted by Roler42 (718 posts) -

Can't play the first silent hill without getting overwhelmed, even today

#33 Posted by mems_1224 (47024 posts) -

none. never had a nightmare that involved a movie or game or tv show.

#34 Posted by Shewgenja (8907 posts) -

I played Another World when I was 7 or so, and that gave me nightmares. I think the worms that would cut your shins and one hit kill you were the thing that did it.

That was a very atmospheric game. Totally understandable.

#35 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3549 posts) -

Never got any nightmares from a game, though I've played some scary games.

#36 Edited by watchdogsrules (439 posts) -

the punisher for ps2 that was a companion to the 2004 movie. had a nightmare that a green shark ate my legs of, blood everywhere. and i kept seeing a skull and tanks in some warehouse.

#37 Posted by wolverine4262 (19251 posts) -

http://gameshowgarbage.com/Pictures/Video%20Game%20Garbage/Superman%2064%20Pic%202.jpg

THE HORROR!!!

#38 Posted by jessejay420 (3798 posts) -

Never had them.

Same here.

i watched 'The Exorcist' as a kid...scared the living daylights out of me lol.

but i did have dreams of video games..

specifically when i play a game for a couple of hours right before i go to bed.

#39 Posted by jessejay420 (3798 posts) -

None. Not a single video game gave me nightmares. The first Silent Hill had disturbing levels, but far from scaring the hell out of me.

The Exorcist film was probably the only form of entertainment that scared the shit out of me. Not even the Freddy Krugers, the Jason Voorhees, or Mike Myers or any slasher flix would do any damage either.

agree except the first nightmare on elm street was pretty scary..

not exorcist levels but scary nonetheless

#40 Posted by Boddicker (2703 posts) -

Never had them.

#41 Posted by hehe101 (773 posts) -

Can't think of any tbh, I played alot of horror as well which is strange lol

#42 Edited by Acez626 (690 posts) -

This game scared me so much as a kid...

#43 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (799 posts) -

That motherfucker from Shadows of the Empire.

#44 Posted by parkurtommo (26799 posts) -

Starcraft (1) actually. I had a fever around the time I was playing that and had a hellish fever dream where I just imagined zerglings just rushing around and nasty zerg like fleshy stuff everywhere... Yuck. I woke up screaming or something. :P I believe the same happened with Diablo 2. That old 90s Blizzard art style still freaks me out to this day. Fortunately they've moved on to have some of the most influential and impressive visual designs in 3D gaming.

#45 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6903 posts) -

Doom. The last levels where that big boss mofo shows up. The sound of the door opening followed by his deep yell. Scared shitless.

#46 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (350 posts) -

Nightmares? lol, never cause I always knew it was just a game. Same with horror and thriller movies actually. Reality is what gives me nightmares although I rarely have them anyway.

#47 Edited by foxhound_fox (88111 posts) -

Doom II: Hell on Earth when I was 8.

Doom 3 and System Shock 2 were unsettling, but never gave me nightmares.

#48 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Nightbreed on the Amiga

#49 Posted by yokofox33 (29544 posts) -

Resident Evil, and that was only from the opening scene and gameplay. Condemned was also pretty spooky. I had to play it during the day. I also remember Myst being scary in a way, only because the atmosphere was just super creepy to me as a kid.

#50 Posted by IgGy621985 (4767 posts) -

Can't recall if any game caused nightmares.

But.

FIFA 2003. I played it so much in one day I actually got ill. I got a temperature, headache and the whole package.