What type of game is this?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So...recently, I read on these forums that some ppl seem to think of Uncharted as a "movie game".

I see this video....and as many ppl have stated it looks like more Uncharted. Personal opinion of it being more UC but more robust of sorts aside...it doesn't really look like a "movie game" to me.

I see elements of a TPS, a cover shooter, a platformer, action adventure, and usually puzzle (not shown but it's UC).

So....what exactly type game is UC4 if this video is any indication of what the actual game will be.

**nb4 "A SHITTY GAME LOLZORS!!!!"**

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Third Person Action/Adventure game.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

What does it matter?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Its basically just a really shitty Indiana Jones. Uncharted has always been that.

It will be super linear and super scripted just like all the other games.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mr_Huggles_dog

@soulitane said:

What does it matter?

Just wondering what the general thought was around SW.

A conversation piece of sorts.

It's not like I'm making a big deal about it or anything.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mr_Huggles_dog

@mems_1224 said:

Its basically just a really shitty Indiana Jones. Uncharted has always been that.

That didn't take long.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I'ts a "probably not as good as TR" game, but with Druckmann on board i'm tempted to try it out even though i've been burned 3 times with the Uncharted franchise.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@mems_1224 said:

That didn't take long.

do you see the future?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Third Person Shooter Action Adventure Puzzler Platformer Type Thing.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10  Edited By UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Games can't be shoe-horned into one genre anymore. Games have grown so big, that multiple elements of different genres are included in one box. An example, is how RPG elements are slowly invading pretty much every genre. With that said. I say it's mainly a TPS, with various elements from different genres.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

A very fun game. Let haters hate

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

puzzle games uncharted is not!!!

from what i've seen the levels from uncharted 4 are more open larger than the previous games.

gameplay haven't paid close enough attention to judge, but if it's anything like the first two games then it's going to be a grind. kill a group of 20 enemies while hiding behind a wall advance rence and repeat etc (i'm not a fan of uncharted combat).

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Movie game is a shitty lazy knock with no nuance to it as an argument. I mean I'm not going to act like I'm a fucking angel and don't it myself, because **** loot rpgs, but need be I can argue my point why that entire is genre is servant fuel. Though I'm coming around to Path of Exile.

That said a game being cinematic isn't inherently bad, because plenty of fantastic games are cinematic on some level be it the Metal Gear Solid franchise or Resident Evil 4. Uncharted is shallow however as its mechanics are extremely basic with very little layers to them, and in the case of core shooting things like Max Payne, Gears of War, recently Grand Theft Auto V, or even the Tomb Raider reboot have better shooting mechanics. Likewise the over abundance and scripted nature of the set pieces gives at least one of the Uncharted games a drawn out tedious feel. But I found that Uncharted 2 had a great balance of letting you participate in the set piece, and those set pieces were proper length as to not get boring.

That first demo of Uncharted 4 looked fun, because they were opening up the moment to moment stuff of Uncharted and taking more cues from the best combat sequences of The Last of Us and in a weird way the Tomb Raider reboot. That E3 demo however as pretty as it looks, that entire sequence goes on too long, as I got less and less interested watching it. It's crazy, but I've played Killer 7 and Platinum Games, and the Saints Row franchise, I've seen and played better crazy.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#14 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

It's parkour simulator. Jump here, climb there, dangle everywhere.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Someone is insecure

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@soulitane said:

What does it matter?

But you are. You've taken offence and this says enough.

That car scene is mindless... you'd be hard pressed to fail at it, same with the being dragged scene... people call it a "movie game" because its most impressive aspect is the presentation... while its game play is as shallow as a puddle.

What you look at visually is highly impressive, there is no disputing that they have a talented team and do wonders with dated hardware. but beyond that... literally watching this gameplay trailer is only slight worse than actually playing it.

The bike chase scene was just so childish... not even remotely believable. something an angsty teen would come up with.

When drake is under the car trying to escape .. is that suppose to be a tense moment? it failed... because you know the outcome, and the outcome takes NO EFFORT to achieve. In terms of gameplay is s*it. Real tension is made through gameplay, not a semi interactive cutscene.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

It's an action adventure game. With the shooting and melee falling into "action", and the puzzles, platforming and story going "adventure".

Action adventure is basically the catch all name for games with various types of gameplay.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Dont let your jimmies be rustled.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mr_Huggles_dog

@MBirdy88 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@soulitane said:

What does it matter?

That car scene is mindless... you'd be hard pressed to fail at it, same with the being dragged scene... people call it a "movie game" because its most impressive aspect is the presentation... while its game play is as shallow as a puddle.

What you look at visually is highly impressive, there is no disputing that they have a talented team and do wonders with dated hardware. but beyond that... literally watching this gameplay trailer is only slight worse than actually playing it.

The bike chase scene was just so childish... not even remotely believable. something an angsty teen would come up with.

When drake is under the car trying to escape .. is that suppose to be a tense moment? it failed... because you know the outcome, and the outcome takes NO EFFORT to achieve. In terms of gameplay is s*it. Real tension is made through gameplay, not a semi interactive cutscene.

OMG....I replied....I'M MAKING A HUGE DEAL OUT OF IT.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

THE HUMANITY!!!!

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

It's an action/adventure game

The term "movie" game is just fucking stupid with the way it's used around here.

To me, "movie games" are basically what Telltale makes (which are pretty fucking great). Basic point and click games that are heavy on narrative and cinematics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@soulitane said:

What does it matter?

THE HUMANITY!!!!

You made this thread, not the reply you fool.

Good going only focusing on the start of my post, not addressing any of the other points... expected no less of a cow.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

A 3rd person shooter, action adventure, platform game.

j/k A BAD ONE AND A MOVIE

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Cinematic/Rail Shooter/Action/Adventure

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Not trying to be nasty with any of this; you just seem like an insecure guy. And unfortunately about 1% of people on the internet consider others' feelings before posting something.

Think about it, when other people call Uncharted a movie game does it really bother you to the point where you enjoy the game less? If so then you need to get off this website.

If not, then stick around, but try harder to not take such offense to other people hating on what you like.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Looks like a kick-ass game to me.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

If it's like the other Uncharted games, it's obviously a third person shooter. 95% of the gameplay when you're actually given some real control is to shoot waves of enemies. All other gameplay elements are basically non existent or so shallow that they shouldn't count in the overall genre distinction. It's clearly not an action adventure as there is 0 exploration/actual adventure to them and there's no real platforming in them either. Just the climbing version of cinematic walking.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Third person action adventure game with some light puzzle and platforming and shooting.

What's more important is that the shooting in this demo and the PSX one looked weird. They need to get back that UC2 feel when you shoot. I know I haven't played UC4 but that shooting gives UC3 pre-patch feeling when I watch it, and even after it was patched it still didn't get that UC2 feel when you shoot. I'm hoping Bluepoint games does the shooting mechanics right and maybe teach ND something. I love UC but lets not lie to ourselves, the shooting mechanics in UC 1 and 3 are not the best and is serviceable at best. I still love the games but they still haven't gotten that feel back IMO. and even then games like Max Payne 3 and Tomb Raider does shooting mechanics better. I'm sure they've at least played one of those two so they could learn something from them.

TLOU got the shooting right. it felt heavy, satisfying, realistic, and had a great sound that made it powerful. overall great feel when you shot someone, especially in the head.

After UC Naughty Dog needs to move on and do something new they haven't tried before or hire some game designers and go back to the old days or make a game inspired by souls or something. sounds crazy i know.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Definitely a action/adventure game with platforming/puzzle elements. inb4 RPG

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

It's clearly not an action adventure as there is 0 exploration/actual adventure to them

More or less this. The Uncharted series are action games, not action-adventure games. One of the defining characteristics of action-adventure games is exploration, which Uncharted has very little of.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Technically speaking they are called On-Rails games. But people use the insult "movie-game" for the UC/TLOU series for quite a time.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@-God- said:

Technically speaking they are called On-Rails games. But people use the insult "movie-game" for the UC/TLOU series for quite a time.

On-rails mean you can't control your character and move around

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56084 Posts

@-God- said:

Isn't Star Fox consider just an on-rail game? It's a shooter but on-rails.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@-God- said:

Don't try to argue with God. You will never win.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:
@MonsieurX said:
@-God- said:

Mostly on rails segements and QTE's Some time u can control

I guess it is an hybrid?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

It's a movie game because it always had strong production values and has been praised for its cinematic like qualities, however as a game I've always found them to be lacking as shooters, or lacking in the action adventure gameplay. And, I've never bought into all the hype for them, they're fun but not as godly as they've been praised to be. However, that being said, I must admit they've upped their game with Uncharted 4. However, despite these improvements coming to the new game, it's hardly enough to vindicate the series' previous games from the label of "movie games".

It probably sticks even more when the PS3 had other games that focused on cinematic presentation like Heavy Rain, and later Beyond: Two Souls, or MGS4. I feel it's a term that specifically is used for Sony games in general, just as "shooters" is directed at the Xbox casual crowd as a light pejorative in the context of describing something as a base interest that's emblematic of the market. It's meant to sting a little, but it's what we System Warriors do. Don't let it get to your head.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@-God- said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:
@MonsieurX said:
@-God- said:

Mostly on rails segements and QTE's Some time u can control

I guess it is an hybrid?

I don't remember being it "on rails" at any part in the previous UC

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

You've only recently seen it called a movie game? It's been called that since UC1. They're heavily scripted, much like a movie. That's the idea, anywho.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@drummerdave9099: Just wanted to say that in no way shape or form do I take your post serious or to heart.

Before you think that this reply is evidence of me being upset....it's just that I don't want you to have a better view of yourself than is realistic.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@Jag85 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

It's clearly not an action adventure as there is 0 exploration/actual adventure to them

More or less this. The Uncharted series are action games, not action-adventure games. One of the defining characteristics of action-adventure games is exploration, which Uncharted has very little of.

I can go with that...being an action game isn't a bad thing. I just consider it like an adventure movie: theres an adventure in the game....like in an adventure movie.

But I understand the difference of what is an adventure movie vs a game where you actually do the adventuring....so it's called an adventure game.

@MBirdy88 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@soulitane said:

What does it matter?

THE HUMANITY!!!!

Good going only focusing on the start of my post, not addressing any of the other points... expected no less of a cow.

B/c your post is shit.

I'm not reading passed the bullshit....just like I'm sure you've seen and done thousands of times where ppl say "stopped reading there".

You wanted it to seem as if I'm all "butthurt" over something so trivial b/c you being an asshole makes you look cool to the 14 year olds.....and your reasoning...b/c I made a thread asking what ppls opinions were on something.

You're a fucking waste of time.

I was a little tipsy last night and made a thread to bullshit with others until I got tired. Oh my fucking god....what a huge thing it was, right?

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Third Person Action/Adventure game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Action Adventure

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Looks like an exciting 3 person action adventure with lots of scripted events, the same as the last 3 were.

Will probably be a lot of fun, if short lived, much like a movie is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Its a ps4 exclusive game that all other fanboy factions will hate....

Lol QTE games

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Its a 3rd person shooter/platformer-ish game with heavy focus on story and Hollywood type set pieces.

Or a reason to be a hater.

Or Kryptonite to some people.

Or troll food.

Its many things , but in here , its not a good/fun game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

A Hybrid like many other modern games? The natural evolution of genres, as they evolve snd shift.

I would say it is a Third Person Shooter with an abnormal emphathys on platforming. It is way more shooter orientated then say Tomb raider used to be (new one not withstanding ofcourse).

I am not a fan of the "movie game" thing, as it certainly ain't a positive, however there are some valid complaints about a game focusing too much on big set pieces, namely that it tends to hurt replayability in most cases. However I don't think Uncharted istaking enough player Agency away from the player, to make it a "movie game" atleast not yet. Have not playied the 4th (logic) so can't comment on that one specifically.

But I would argue that they try too much for movie style story telling, which really don't benefit games as a whole. Again, the replayability thing. But lets wait and see when it comes out, UC3 got too close to that area, for me to be comfortable with it, and Overall I still prefer the first Uncharted in many ways (minority here I know).

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Any cow should not be offended by the term movie-game in regards to UC even Sony call it a movie than a game. Anyone remember Kevin Butler ad for UC2?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@Jag85 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

I can go with that...being an action game isn't a bad thing. I just consider it like an adventure movie: theres an adventure in the game....like in an adventure movie.

But I understand the difference of what is an adventure movie vs a game where you actually do the adventuring....so it's called an adventure game.

@MBirdy88 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@soulitane said:

What does it matter?

THE HUMANITY!!!!

B/c your post is shit.

I'm not reading passed the bullshit....just like I'm sure you've seen and done thousands of times where ppl say "stopped reading there".

You wanted it to seem as if I'm all "butthurt" over something so trivial b/c you being an asshole makes you look cool to the 14 year olds.....and your reasoning...b/c I made a thread asking what ppls opinions were on something.

You're a fucking waste of time.

I was a little tipsy last night and made a thread to bullshit with others until I got tired. Oh my fucking god....what a huge thing it was, right?

so everything I said about the gameplay is just bullshit? the only person making an ass of themselves here mate, is you.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

A game with heavy reliance on cheap thrill spectacles to keep the gameplay segments interesting and as a result it offers no replay value.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

scripted set pieces making 75% of the game is why people say "movie game." Don't quote me on those percentages but you get the point.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@soulitane said:

What does it matter?

Loading Video...