What the hell is going on with PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

This year is fucking barren- what the hell is going on with these three consoles?

The PlayStation 4 is getting inFamous: Second Son in a week, but after that, it's a wasteland: Drive Club keeps getting inexplicably delayed, The Order 1866 exists and is probably the other big game coming out this year, Sony Santa Monica's new IP was canceled, Uncharted seems to be in a flux after getting announced because of studio issues, and... that's actually it. We actually don't have any other big exclusive announced for the game, none dated, and the odds of those allhitting this year are zero- I see Sony releasing at most one or two of those.

The Xbox One isn't much better either- it got its first big release since launch, Titanfall, except it isn't an exclusive and is available on PC and Xbox 360, two infinitely more successful platforms. After this? Radio silence. What is coming on the Xbox One for the rest of the year? Halo? They won't even tell us what it's called, let alone its name. Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break? Nope, again, no release dates. We know that a new Gears of War title just started development, and... that's it. The Xbox One looks like it will have a pretty barren year just like the PS4.

Okay, the Wii U. The issue here is not a lack of announced exclusives for this year- (we just got Donkey Kong, and X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. are all confirmed for some time this year as well)- it's that the last new major title that Nintendo announced for the Wii U was fourteen months ago.There has been no new announcement since. They literally just had a major Direct in February where... they just showed us new footage of all the games listed above, and outside of Mario Kart, refused to give us any concrete release dates.

What is going on here? Yes, I know third party games for the first two and an existing library for the Wii U should fill in the gaps- but third party titles like what? Witcher 3 got delayed, Watch Dogs look downgraded as heck, Arkham Knight looks awesome, but isn't due until the end of the year... and for Wii U owners, chances are, they have already played the big games on the Wii U that are already released if they wanted to by now (I mean, it's not like there's a lot of them to begin with).

So what is going on? Why is this generation starting out with the least number of big releases in recent memory? What are your expectations regarding this?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

growing pains hitting this gen hard it seems. I remember the transition being sluggish last gen but this is even worse

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

It's like this every gen, last gen didn't even pick up tell 2008/2009.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Getting alil impatient are we ?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

So what is going on? Why is this generation starting out with the least number of big releases in recent memory? What are your expectations regarding this?

This is just wrong.. Not going to lie I can vaguely PS2 launch and definitely can't recall a launch window before that, but this game is already off to a much faster start then last gen.. People have the shortest memories

With that said - GABEN Master Race

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

This year is about what I expected it to be. New consoles typically don't get a lot of games during their first year or two. The only real exception to the rule that I can think of is the Xbox 360. It was the Benjamin Button of consoles when it comes to support with good games.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#7 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

next gen is just going to have a lot longer between games because it takes longer to make the world due to the increased detail and demand from the audience.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

yeah i'm giving the next genners until holiday 2015.

so far nothing compels me to open my wallet more than a new gpu and/or 4k monitor. would probably get that before a next gen console.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

8th gen consoles No

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Play games on 3DS and PC. Lots of great games there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

It's like this every gen, last gen didn't even pick up tell 2008/2009.

Incorrect. 2006 for last gen got us The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Gears of War, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, Resistance: Fall of Man; 2007, the first fullyear for the generation, got us Bioshock, The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue...

@Couth_ said:

This is just wrong.. Not going to lie I can vaguely PS2 launch and definitely can't recall a launch window before that, but this game is already off to a much faster start then last gen.. People have the shortest memories

With what games? PS4 has Resogun, a great digital arcade shooter, but that's it. Maybe you can argue for Killzone, but I hear very mixed things about those; Xbox One has Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct, both great games, but there's only so many times you can play them. Wii U has Pikmin, Zelda, Mario, The Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong, and a smattering of others, but considering the rate at which they came out- over a year and a half- you're likely to have already played all of them if you had any interest.

The last generation was loaded in comparison, and as for the PS2 launch window, 2001 got us GTA III, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy X, Super Smash Bros Melee, Halo: Combat Evolved, and so on.

You might be misremembering here.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Exclusives don't mean shit anymore that's what's going on. Exclusives are almost entirely down to first party now and that means they'll be slower than ever to come out, I wouldn't expect more than 2 or 3 in a year. MS/Sony/Nintendo might pay to fund a few in the future (Nintendo has already done this, but considering the crappy third party support they sort of had to) if the first party line up looks bleak but nobody is going to put them on one console over the other out of sheer goodwill.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

They all need work. X1 had a solid start in terms of games, and PS4 did decently. I expect more announcements at E3, but this year will likely be just "okay."

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Anyone remember when the Playstation first appeared? The initial lineup sucked until Resident Evil and then Tomb Raider came along. I think too many gamers nowadays are impatient ingrates.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

Not really surprised at all. Is this your first launch year? I'm still pretty occupied with a huge backlog with my PS3 and Vita.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

You don't remember last gen huh? It was much much worse. This gen is far superior when it comes to launch games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Slow early gen as expected I'm sure the PS4/X1 titles will start flowing like water next year, might be a good time to stock up on cheap older titles for the PS3 and Xbox 360 one might have missed last gen to hold over until more games arrive, or get a Wii U with all the money burning holes in peoples pockets, or a Vita or 3DS.

Still, I expect releases to pick up over the year, some games just seem to release before we know it, I expect some good announcements at E3 for late 2014 titles, like the next (we know it's coming) COD coming this year, or instead of Battlefield DICE will be releasing Battlefronts 3. But yeah, I agree, it'll be a barren year for the PS4 and X1. Wii U has releases like TC said but not much is known of what to expect beyond that, kind of worrying there.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Every single gen starts off slow as companies play the waiting game getting used to the new tech. You get a launch window and then a barren spell followed by supreme domination for a few years. That's coming. I'm excited. Until then, last gen is still kicking arse. Dark Souls 2 and South Park within weeks of each other.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Couth_

@charizard1605 said:

With what games? PS4 has Resogun, a great digital arcade shooter, but that's it. Maybe you can argue for Killzone, but I hear very mixed things about those; Xbox One has Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct, both great games, but there's only so many times you can play them. Wii U has Pikmin, Zelda, Mario, The Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong, and a smattering of others, but considering the rate at which they came out- over a year and a half- you're likely to have already played all of them if you had any interest.

The last generation was loaded in comparison, and as for the PS2 launch window, 2001 got us GTA III, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy X, Super Smash Bros Melee, Halo: Combat Evolved, and so on.

Multiplats are this gens saving grace but last gen didn't even have that. I'll make the case for BF4, CoD, AC4, Titanfall and Infamous..

This is standard stuff for the start of a gen, especially with the rises in development time and cost.. Turns out PS2 was a lot better, like I said I could barely remember. The launch window was definitely barren but games started churning out a lot faster for it..

Also last gen started in 2005, not 2006. 2006 was the first full year and the 360 only had two major games.. You just proved the point everyone in this thread is trying to make

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Dude, the PS4 launched in November, its now March and we're only just getting Infamous with as Char said, nothing after that.... Char is right, this year is fucking barren.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Couth_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

Incorrect. 2006 for last gen got us The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Gears of War, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, Resistance: Fall of Man; 2007, the first fullyear for the generation, got us Bioshock, The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue...

Multiplats are this gens saving grace but last gen didn't even have that. I'll make the case for BF4, CoD, AC4, Titanfall and Infamous..

Your mistake is thinking last gen started in 2006.. It actually started in 2005 where the 360 had nothing. 2006 It got Oblivion and Gears of War LATE in the year and that's it.. If you want to talk about 2007 then you basically are giving last gen a 1 year handicap.. that would be 2015 for this gen..

This is standard stuff for the start of a gen, especially with the rises in development time and cost

In that case, this gen started back in 2012. We are in the same timeframe right now in this generation where we were last gen in 2007. Not really much of an excuse there.

Regardless, my mistake wasn't that either, I noted 2006 as the first year for the 360.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ clyde46

Theres still some multiplatform games coming.

Exclusive are not the way to go. They are never the way to go. They only benifit the console manufactures, Gamers and Developers gain nothing from a game not being available to everybody on different consoles.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Hasn't pretty much every generation had a slow start? This is why I don't grab consoles near release.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Couth_

@charizard1605 said:

In that case, this gen started back in 2012. We are in the same timeframe right now in this generation where we were last gen in 2007. Not really much of an excuse there.

Regardless, my mistake wasn't that either, I noted 2006 as the first year for the 360.

No one counts the WiiU.. That's its own catastrophe.. LIke you said, 2006 was the first full year for the 360 and it only got Oblivion and Gears... the xbone has been out for only 5 months and it already has a CoD, BF4, AC4, KI, Titanfall + whatever is slated for fall.. The xbone is beating the 360 out of the gate, and the PS4 is beating the pS3 as well

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605:

So much wrong with that post so lets go down the list

*Mass Effect was released in 2007 (2 years after the release of the 360)

*Zelda Twlp was also a gamecube game

*Wii Sports...dude really?

*Oblivion is actually one of the worst ES games

*Orange Box was just a collection of games that were already out

*Assassin's Creed 1 was crap, amazing concept but it was just awful

*Bioshock was released in 2007 (2 years after the 360)

Anyways, now you see most of those games were pretty horrible or were released a good 2 years after the start of gen 7

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ReadingRainbow4

@nutcrackr said:

next gen is just going to have a lot longer between games because it takes longer to make the world due to the increased detail and demand from the audience.

Yeah but this can be counteracted with increased development tool sets, if people think what they are getting now out of nextgen is as good as it will get then lol. It'll most likely be about the same as this gen once things get situated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate: There's a lot of opinion in that post that I won't argue with, but I want to point out, 2014 is also two years after the Wii U first launched, and that console has no excuse right now.

@Couth_ said:

No one counts the WiiU.. That's its own catastrophe.. LIke you said, 2006 was the first full year for the 360 and it only got Oblivion and Gears... the xbone has been out for only 5 months and it already has a CoD, BF4, AC4, KI, Titanfall + whatever is slated for fall.. The xbone is beating the 360 out of the gate, and the PS4 is beating the pS3 as well

No, you don't count the Wii U. it sucks, and that is the point I am making here- at least at this point, it should have been getting some new games, first party if not third party, to pick up the slack, but there is radio silence on that front as well. The PS4 and Xbox One are at the same place right now where the Wii and PS3 were past gen, but at least those two had tons of impressive projects already announced. Where's the same for PS4 and XB1?

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Budgets and teams are getting too big, takes longer to push stuff out and if it's not bleeding edge people cry. Gamers created this gen. Handhelds >>>> Consoles right now

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Owning every console and a PC there are more games than I can play this year. :)

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ballroompirate

Hopefully this shuts people up about this gen being the only gen to start off slow

Here's a list of every launch line up

/end of this stupid debate

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46237 Posts

Yup, last gen I needed to have the new consoles right away.

Now, I just have so much to play on PC that I'll wait a long while before I ever get a PS4, perhaps an Xbone.

I already bought a WiiU, because it already has some nice games and I really wanted DKC and Mario Kart this year, but apart from those games the WiiU seems like a barren wasteland.

It's pretty pathetic, especially compared to the truckloads of PC games (and exclusives) coming out every month, which is good to keep me busy until PS4 and Xbone get a price drop and some games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

Hopefully this shuts people up about this gen being the only gen to start off slow

Here's a list of every launch line up

/end of this stupid debate

We're not talking about just launch lineups, we are talking about the first full year for two of the three consoles, and the second full year for the final console.
As you pointed out so kindly yourself, the 360 got games like The Orange Box, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty 4, and so on in its second full year (meanwhile, in Wii U land...)

The PS3 and Wii got not only the multiplats from that list (for the PS3), but also Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and Motorstorm, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Heavenly Sword. The Xbox One and PS4 are laughably quiet in comparison.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

PC definitely has seen a resurgence in part due to the healthy support of Steam tho.

I think the consoles will be fine once we get past these initial hurdles however.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate: There's a lot of opinion in that post that I won't argue with, but I want to point out, 2014 is also two years after the Wii U first launched, and that console has no excuse right now.

@Couth_ said:

No, you don't count the Wii U. it sucks, and that is the point I am making here- at least at this point, it should have been getting some new games, first party if not third party, to pick up the slack, but there is radio silence on that front as well. The PS4 and Xbox One are at the same place right now where the Wii and PS3 were past gen, but at least those two had tons of impressive projects already announced. Where's the same for PS4 and XB1?

The PS4 and X1 have been out barely 5 months, the only console that has been out since 2012 is the Wii U which already lacks games but this is no surprise since it's nintendo doing what they do just like the last 2 gens (barely working on anything that's not Mario). The only system that this thread should be about is the Wii U, not the X1 and PS4.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

2014 is pretty barren on the exclusives front. But there should be absolutely insane amount of announcements for PS4/XB1 at E3.

E3 is in June. I'm guessing each platform will have at least 1 really major game (new announce) that will be ready in time for the holidays (happens every year), however it wouldn't be surprising to maybe see 2 (or more) games. Regardless as to what they can squeeze into 2014, we should see whole boatload of reveals for 2015 games.

I think my benchmark for each platform is 6 big budget game announcements (either at E3, or leaked before). However given this is the 1st really big year to just focus specifically on software, we might even see more than that. That is just talking exclusives, of course there will be even more for multiplats. Multiplats have pretty strong potential this year anyway, and we haven't even gotten to E3 yet (Watch Dogs, Destiny, Mad Max, Arkham Knight, Evil Within, etc).

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Couth_

@charizard1605 said:

@Couth_ said:

So then change the thread title to Wii U sucks..

There is a respectable amount of AAA titles slated for the PS4 and Xbone this year in addition to what's already out.. PS4 and xbone are doing better than the PS3 and 360 and it's not even close...

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Dude, the PS4 launched in November, its now March and we're only just getting Infamous with as Char said, nothing after that.... Char is right, this year is fucking barren.

https://www.e3expo.com/ JUNE 10-12, 2014 LOS ANGELES CONVENTION CENTER

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

I'm going to say the same thing I say all the time in response to these threads the gen for Xbox and PS4 is 5 months old cry me a river if you want games so badly go make them, there's no rush for it if 2 years from now it's the same stuff I'd say then you have cause but give it time Jesus! As for the Wii U there should be more games but that's nintendos fault and theirs alone

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

I think @charizard1605 is wrong here, but if we don't count the games already out and still incoming for the Wii U, then he's dead on.

By the end of this year, we will have Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, NSMBU, Zombi U, Mario Kart 8, Smash, Titanfall, Infamous SS, Arkham Knight, and The Order. I think that is on par with console launches from most gens. Last gen was probably better, but as I said earlier, the 360 had a very good first couple of years. That's not typical.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

It does seem games are getting announced & revealed further along in their development cycles with Sony & MS. Particularly Sony. Remember Killzone 2 & Alan Wake shown at E3 2005 and released 2009/2010? And that Team ICO giant flying sheep game. It's lunacy to announce games 3+ years before they're ready.

Halo 5, UC 4 and Gears could be 2015+ but I think all 3 of those series could benefit with a little stretching out between installments. It seems Sony/MS are giving some new IPs a chance before launching the heavy hitters. It'll be late 2014 or later before I get another console so I don't care much.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Last gen, the first called next gen game came one year after 360 release, and PS3 lasted 2 or 3 years to get interesting. Yet, it was a great gen! Be patient.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#45 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Don't most systems have a slow start compared to later in their life cycle? That's why I don't prefer to buy consoles at launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Indeed, I'm beginning to wonder the same thing.. It feels like my PS4 is going to be a dust magnet for a long long while.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@clyde46 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

https://www.e3expo.com/ JUNE 10-12, 2014 LOS ANGELES CONVENTION CENTER

What was your point Captain Obvious?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It is also what i'd like to know. Im not even a fan of infamous and im buying SS because there's absolutely nothing until what, Fall/Q4? Da f*ck is this?

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

Agreed.

This is why I'm enjoying pc so thoroughly. Non stop high scoring games, and much better versions of games like Thief, Titanfall, RoS, ESO, and soon enough Dark Souls 2 which isn't even on the new gen consoles.

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50 Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

Stopped reading after the first sentence because you don't have the balls to call out the PC.