What Should Be Standards In Video Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18830 Posts

In No order

Rumble- Added the sense of feel in games.

Analog Sticks- Nintendo had 1 stick which worked for 3D games. sony added 2 so 2 sticks should be the new standard.

Custom Soundtrack- This only thing xbox had over PS2 and Mircosoft took that to a whole new level with 360 by allowing all games to have custom soundtracks.

Achievements- This is an intersting one as this thing is actually nothing new as Sports games did thisway before microsoft. I really like howa stat shows during a game explaning stuff like "user neville has made 6 3 pointers or retired 7 straight batters."

FPS- We should allagree that 007 for n64 set the tone for console FPS. And the strong point was 1-4 players. Now its just sad alot of shooting games be only 1 player offline. Offline gaming still outweighs online gaming. I mean halo be only be 1 player offline instead of 4?

Racing Games- Just like FPS, racing games should automaticly be 1-4 players. should Mario Kart now be only 1-2 players?

Feel free to add or give ur thoughts.

M_v_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 M_v_S
Member since 2004 • 457 Posts
Using the Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty health system. No health packs.
Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
bad games shouldnt be released only good ones
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Using the Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty health system. No health packs.M_v_S
No. Disagree. The health pack system adds more intensity to a game. Plus, I just can't get around how incredibly unrealistic it is. Yeah, health packs aren't realistic themselves, but take seven slugs to the chest, go untouched for a few seconds, and then you're good as new? WTF. I say the standard should be a hybrid of Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero. Health packs to recover, you can recover a bit just naturally, and the more damage you take, the lower your maximum health goes.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49595 Posts
Halo 3'sparty system. (For online)
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

Games shouldnot break a console.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

[QUOTE="M_v_S"]Using the Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty health system. No health packs.Hoffgod
No. Disagree. The health pack system adds more intensity to a game. Plus, I just can't get around how incredibly unrealistic it is. Yeah, health packs aren't realistic themselves, but take seven slugs to the chest, go untouched for a few seconds, and then you're good as new? WTF. I say the standard should be a hybrid of Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero. Health packs to recover, you can recover a bit just naturally, and the more damage you take, the lower your maximum health goes.

Health packs suck.

I'd rather focus on the actual gameplay of shooting stuff, not hunting down health packs three areas back because none are left where I am at.

Don't even try to toss in arguments about realism. That is just absurd.

Spindoc_SEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spindoc_SEI
Member since 2005 • 1349 Posts
Nothing. Every game should be different and unique (in a perfect world).
ParasiteDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ParasiteDemon
Member since 2006 • 1195 Posts
No. No achievements, they suck
SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts
So to make a videogame it has to be a racing or a FPS, that's smart :roll:
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

In No order

Custom Soundtrack- This only thing xbox had over PS2 and Mircosoft took that to a whole new level with 360 by allowing all games to have custom soundtracks.

PSP107

I don't really care about rumble, I turn it off more often than not.

I also never use custom soundtracks, a game should be a complete package, and support itself. Plus the music I would listen too just wouldn't match the games I play.

azshorty2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 azshorty2003
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts
chronicles of riddick had the best health system i can remember. 4 bars, or 5 or 6 if you found the upgrades, health went down in 1 bar when you were shot, if all health from that bar was not lost you can hide and rest and recover the health from that bar. but if the bar was lost, then that bar was lost. so essentially it was a split up version of the halo/geow health system
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

bad games shouldnt be released only good onesMiles0T0Prower

without bad games, how would you judge what the good ones are?

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="M_v_S"]Using the Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty health system. No health packs.Bgrngod

Health packs suck.

I'd rather focus on the actual gameplay of shooting stuff, not hunting down health packs three areas back because none are left where I am at.

airborn is the best way, you have 4 health bars, and each bar recharges after your hit, but if a bar is fully depleted, you need to find a medkit to get it back

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hoffgod
Don't even try to toss in arguments about realism. That is just absurd.Bgrngod
Perhaps realism is the wrong term. Suspension of disbelief would be better. I pick up a first-aid kit and I regain heath? Okay, I'll buy that. I hide in a corner for ten seconds and I'm magically healed? No. I'm not buying it. Not for a second.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="PSP107"]

In No order

-RPGamer-

I also never use custom soundtracks, a game should be a complete package, and support itself. Plus the music I would listen too just wouldn't match the games I play.

Both of those have been awesome in racing games.

Rallisport Challenge would have not been the same without either. I loved that game. Listening to Rage Against the Machine in my car is dangerous because it makes me want to powerslide.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107
[QUOTE="PSP107"]

In No order

-RPGamer-

Interesting comming from a RPG gamer.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hoffgod
airborn is the best way, you have 4 health bars, and each bar recharges after your hit, but if a bar is fully depleted, you need to find a medkit to get it backshadow_hosi
Oh, like in Chronicles of Riddick? That's a good one too.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bgrngod

airborn is the best way, you have 4 health bars, and each bar recharges after your hit, but if a bar is fully depleted, you need to find a medkit to get it back

shadow_hosi

That's what they did in R:FOM and it worked pretty well. Still had to do a lot of "Health pack hunting" though.

trup522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trup522
Member since 2005 • 149 Posts
Local and online co-op for all FPS's, even better if its up to 4 people, but at the very least, 2. It adds so much more replay value to any fps and is always a ton of fun.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bgrngod

[QUOTE="Bgrngod"]Don't even try to toss in arguments about realism. That is just absurd.Hoffgod
Perhaps realism is the wrong term. Suspension of disbelief would be better. I pick up a first-aid kit and I regain heath? Okay, I'll buy that. I hide in a corner for ten seconds and I'm magically healed? No. I'm not buying it. Not for a second.

In Halo 2 it's a shield, not your health. If your shield is depleted then any additional shots could instantly kill you.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hoffgod

[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"]Don't even try to toss in arguments about realism. That is just absurd.Bgrngod

In Halo 2 it's a shield, not your health. If your shield is depleted then any additional shots could instantly kill you.

See, that makes sesne, if there's some kind of reason or explaination. But games like Gears of War, Call of Duty, or Red Steel... there's no explaination. You're just a human soldier fighting an enemy. You shouldn't have super healing powers.
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

I hated the lack of health packs in Call of Duty 2 and I just plain hated Call of Duty 3. I've been shot COUNTLESS times on Veteran and I can shrug off those headshots with 5 seconds behind cover. They rarely throw effective grenades and when they do, I'm usually in a good position that I wouldn't expose much of myself trying to move.

Health packs in the original actually made you think carefully about what you're doing since they're limited. There weren't even any on Veteran and a sniper can take you out in a single shot.

Edit: I should say regeneration, not lack of health packs.

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 baddog121390
Member since 2005 • 4335 Posts
Didnt Call of Duty have health packs?
dispator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dispator
Member since 2005 • 570 Posts

Games dont need no standards,too many standardized things make stuff stale,as its seen now in a lot of games unfortunately!!

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Save Almost Anywhere is something that should be standard in certian games.. I usually like that in open games, RPGs, and such. I can see the fact of certian areas being not being able to save to toss out cheating. Its makes it that if you cannot continue, you are more free to save and continue.

I am not big on health packs, I perfer the wait a bit to heal up, but that means the damage in the gameshould be quickly deadly on your part.I imagine that you are in the sense of danger and if you don't get away, you will be killed. I go half and half like things being done in Resistance: FOM and so games.

Custom Music is good but in most games,I like to hear the game alone, including its music and sounds. Even playing online, music just screws me up.

Rumble is a good feeling, so ya. There is good sense of realism there. For example when you gain you first plasmid and the shaking just makes it feel so more realistance and gets you into it. Kickback of a powerful weapons. The sense of moving stealthly in and so in MGS.

In Game Differculty Change is a good one too. Too hard, make it easier.. Too easier, make it harder.

Those of some.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

[QUOTE="M_v_S"]Using the Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty health system. No health packs.baddog121390
Didnt Call of Duty have health packs?

Yes, both earlier ones of Halo and COD had Health packs.

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

Standards of what? Gameplay? Standards for gameplay is unrealistic.

You can't force one to add rumble or use it properly. Same with analog sticks, a strategic turn-based game has little use for analog sticks. Same with number of playes in FPS and racing games.

What if you're dealing with an FPS game based in old west duels? Or a racing game somewhat like speed racer were you're racing agaist obstacles and not other players? Or even if it's a game that could have those elements, but instead of competitive online gameplay, the producer's vision was to train hand-eye coordination or immersive storytelling.

You can have standards in hardware and services(custom sountracks and some way to share you're gamming achievements and conquests is also cool), but setting standards for gameplay and functionality is adding more limits to the creativity of producers.

And health packs are lame. How about an fps where you need to fix your wounds based on how badly you're wounded or the type of wound, like Metal Gear Solid 3? You get med kits with several tools, and you need skills to fix yourself(like a sub-game).

Big_T-Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Big_T-Mac
Member since 2005 • 6973 Posts

[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="M_v_S"]Using the Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty health system. No health packs.Bgrngod

Health packs suck.

agreed. the only non-halo health system should even be remotely considered is the perfect dark zero one, and thats only if it is a 1 life per round game in the vein of counterstrike and the like.
Big_T-Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Big_T-Mac
Member since 2005 • 6973 Posts
when it comes to anything with aiming, both right handed and southpaw controls should be fully supported. and on top of that they need to further test the controls to remove all possible problems. for instance, infinity ward is still too dumb to fix the southpaw melee glitch thats plaguing the cod 4 beta. currently, u can not move while trying to melee with southpaw controls, whereas lowest common denominators (the defaulters) can.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="PSP107"]

In No order

PSP107

Interesting comming from a RPG gamer.

I play a lot more than RPG titles, it's a poor assumption to go after my gamer tag.

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 freeload
Member since 2003 • 8139 Posts

In No order

Analog Sticks- Nintendo had 1 stick which worked for 3D games. sony added 2 so 2 sticks should be the new standard.

Achievements- This is an intersting one as this thing is actually nothing new as Sports games did thisway before microsoft. I really like howa stat shows during a game explaning stuff like "user neville has made 6 3 pointers or retired 7 straight batters."

FPS- We should allagree that 007 for n64 set the tone for console FPS. And the strong point was 1-4 players. Now its just sad alot of shooting games be only 1 player offline. Offline gaming still outweighs online gaming. I mean halo be only be 1 player offline instead of 4?

Racing Games- Just like FPS, racing games should automaticly be 1-4 players. should Mario Kart now be only 1-2 players?

Feel free to add or give ur thoughts.

PSP107

At least 60 frames per second. In this day and age we really should have all games running at 60fps.

Online voice chat. This really should be standard in all online games nowadays.

Hi-Definition graphics. I don't think this is essential for games but I don't see any good reason for not havingat least the optionin this day and age.

gapboi954

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 gapboi954
Member since 2004 • 758 Posts

No. No achievements, they suckParasiteDemon

thats absurd

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
Splitscreen for games that support more than one player. None of this online-only-multiplayer bull. You're getting rid of a sizable audience who doesn't have online. If cuts need to be made, so be it. No offline multiplayer in Splinter Cell and Crackdown has annoyed me to no end.
Navy_Sealz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Navy_Sealz
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts

whatever you want them to be?

If you are interested in a game, and it gets at least decent reviews you should at least try it out. I like alot of A games, and even some 6 rated games....

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

The only standard video games should be following is to be fun

/thread

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Nothing should be standard. That's like asking an artist to paint with only 1 type of brush, and two colours.
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

Rumble - yes

2 analogs - no, motion controls are proven to be superior in certain games.

custom soundtrack - no, not for all games but it should be for certain types

achievements - yes

fps - no

racing - no

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

#1 It can play games

#2 It has good exclusive games

#3 It has at least 2 controller ports

#4 It has decent third party and first party support

That is all.

t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

Health Beads like in Escape From Butcher Bay and MOH: Airborne are the way to go.

It forces you to watch your ass, but at the same time it isn't punishing if you make a mistake. The recharging shields and medkit combo in Halo: CE was good, too. I don't really like full on health regen.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PSP107

Splitscreen for games that support more than one player. None of this online-only-multiplayer bull. You're getting rid of a sizable audience who doesn't have online. If cuts need to be made, so be it. No offline multiplayer in Splinter Cell and Crackdown has annoyed me to no end.-The-G-Man-

Good Point with the sizable audience. I pointed out that offline outweighs online.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PSP107
New standard- Controllers similar to Sony DSs.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hoffgod
New standard- Controllers similar to Sony DSs. PSP107
NO. I loathe the DualShock's design. The non-offset analogue sticks, a design that is the opposite of ergonomic, and then you throw in the horrible thing they did to the L2/R2 buttons on the SIXAXIS/DS3... Simply put, it's not only the worst of the current-gen controllers, it's one of the worst controllers I've ever used. So no.