What's the best (console) Zelda game?

• 97 results
Posted by charizard1605 (62698 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: What's the best (console) Zelda game? (89 votes)

The Legend of Zelda (NES, 1987) 1%
Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES, 1988) 0%
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, 1992) 26%
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, 1998) 21%
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64, 2000) 13%
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN, 2003) 25%
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii/GCN, 2006) 7%
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii, 2011) 7%

We're so far removed from the release of any Zelda game that there's absolutely no hype for any of them whatsoever right now. This makes now the best time to get a proper answer undistorted by hype or the Zelda cycle or anything.

So which of the mainline Zelda games did you find to be the best?

#1 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (8140 posts) -

I like Wind Waker the best. Something about the sailing just clicks with me.

#2 Posted by onewiththegame (4264 posts) -

I voted Wind Waker but LTTP was a very close second

#3 Edited by charizard1605 (62698 posts) -

@onewiththegame said:

I voted Wind Waker but LTTP was a very close second

Having just replayed both Link to the Past and Wind Waker- and I can't actually believe I'm saying this, but there you have it- I think I might agree.

#4 Posted by coasterguy65 (6377 posts) -

Link to the Past.

#5 Posted by LadyBlue (4064 posts) -

You never forget your first 3d Zelda game.

The NES games were trash.

#7 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8140 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: This is the first time I have ever seen somebody refer to Zelda as a JRPG.

#8 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

Definitely Twilight Princess.

#9 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9793 posts) -

Ocarina of Time.

#10 Edited by Suppaman100 (4459 posts) -

ALTTP by far. Second best being the first Zelda on NES and third Majora's Mask.

Wind Waker was good, but the sailing made big parts of the game boring imo.

OOT is good too, but very overrated. Navi being so irritating gives a -1 score.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (62698 posts) -

For the record, I am okay with either Wind Waker or Link to the Past winning.

Actually to be honest, I am okay with anything but Skyward Sword winning. Fuck Skyward Sword.

#12 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9793 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

For the record, I am okay with either Wind Waker or Link to the Past winning.

Actually to be honest, I am okay with anything but Skyward Sword winning. Fuck Skyward Sword.

Be careful; that might cause people to vote for Skyward Sword. :P

#13 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8140 posts) -

Skyward Sword is really good. It's definitely one of the better games in the series.

#15 Posted by LadyBlue (4064 posts) -
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Skyward Sword is really good. It's definitely one of the better games in the series.

Factually better than Wind Waker.

#16 Edited by GoldenElementXL (4119 posts) -

Wind Waker was magical. The visuals were amazing. Remember all the bitching when the cell shaded style was revealed. Looking back on that is just more evidence that "hardcore" gamers can be quite stupid.

#18 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2474 posts) -

I pick windwaker, just because I never finished lttp

#19 Edited by Maroxad (8975 posts) -

Wand of Gamelon...

On a serious note, Majoras Mask. Though right now I am itching to replay Zelda 1.

#20 Posted by RR360DD (13102 posts) -

Definitely Windwaker

#21 Edited by Sword-Demon (7001 posts) -

Gotta go with oot.

I would have gone with ww if it had another dungeon or two and I didn't have to re-fight every boss. And a bit more land to explore wouldn't have hurt.

#22 Edited by PonchoTaco (2772 posts) -

Ocarina of Time

#23 Edited by Bigboi500 (31608 posts) -

Wind Waker HD is easily the most enjoyable game in the series. Screw the elitist haters who say WW is "too easy" and all that mess. It has the best visuals, best open world design, best collectibles and best side-quests.

#24 Edited by finalstar2007 (26150 posts) -

Will let you know when i actually play a zelda, havent played a single zelda game before so i dont know but i found out recently that zelda is not the green guy character on the boxart :o

#25 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3864 posts) -

Skyward Sword, because charizard.

#26 Edited by getyeryayasout (8690 posts) -

A Link to the Past edges out Wind Waker by a split hair, for me. Although, I haven't played Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, or Skyward Sword so take that as you will.

#27 Posted by charizard1605 (62698 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

I feel like going into a SNIPER-esque rant now.

#28 Posted by Pray_to_me (3127 posts) -

A Link to the past.

#29 Posted by Ballroompirate (23866 posts) -

Have to say it's a tie for Majoras Mask and Twlp.

#30 Edited by Maroxad (8975 posts) -

@Bigboi500: Wind Waker HD+Hero Mode+No going back to town to buy potions or anything+Iron Man is how I played it. It is a lot more interesting that way.

#31 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3864 posts) -

@charizard1605:

I would love to see that.

#32 Edited by Aljosa23 (26207 posts) -

The Twilight Princess. Only Zelda game I really like besides OoT 3D.

#33 Edited by CTR360 (7401 posts) -

zelda ww for me

#34 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11689 posts) -

Im well aware of the hate it gets, but honestly. Skyward Sword is ny favorite. The dungeons were fun, the bosses were great. The combat was awesome and added a new layer of mechanics that in my opinion made it more engaging than any other Zelda game. The game is very flawed though, especially the padding towards the end. But all the things I mentioned were stronger than it's flaws. The biggest thing for me in the game though was what it does for the lore and the overall "legend". Almost everything is explained in it and if you really think about it, with the Zelda reveals towards the end, you get an idea why it's called Legend of Zelda as opposed to the main hero.

#35 Posted by jg4xchamp (51435 posts) -

Majora's Mask.

I enjoyed the structure of that game, and for the most part have always enjoyed a structure like that in a videogame. It added a sense of tension to a franchise that is usually a cake walk, and the fact that it has some surprisingly great story beats, in a videogame no less, is absolutely fantastic. That whole "Zelda should be darker, more mature"...that was Majora's Mask. That's about as dark as this series should go, and this and Twilight Princess boast the best plots in this series is also a good argument for that direction. The Dungeons them were still mostly good, obviously not as tight as stuff done later in the series, but those games made up for that advantage by being over fluffed bullshit.

Oh and it also happens to be the last time Zelda did anything meaningful or fresh with it's game design. Every other time they've made the same game while tricking the fanbase by changing the coat of paint, because idiots.

#36 Posted by musicalmac (23718 posts) -

I just beat A Link to the Past again not even a year ago. It's so fantastically good that it is truly timeless. I love that game. It's my vote easily.

#37 Posted by inb4uall (6549 posts) -

WW and ALttP are my two favorite zeldas. I usually see ALttP as a handheld game because I first played it on GBA so I voted Wind Waker.

#38 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11994 posts) -

Skyward Sword, literally the GOAT of all time.

#39 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9919 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

I feel like going into a SNIPER-esque rant now.

I like where this is heading.

#40 Edited by speedfog (3462 posts) -

Did not play any Zelda game yet :(.

I want to but I don't know where to start.

#41 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8140 posts) -

@speedfog said:

I would probably play Ocarina of Time on the 3DS first.

#42 Posted by charizard1605 (62698 posts) -

@speedfog said:

Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, or A link Between Worlds. Two of these are on 3DS, one of these is on Gamecube or Wii U.

#43 Posted by Zassimick (7392 posts) -

Playing through Wind Waker again (HD on Wii U) and it's so good. Love this game. #BroWakers

My favorite is Twilight Princess though. The game's atmosphere and journey hit all the right notes for me.

Still really hoping that Majora's Mask releases on 3DS this fall. It's the only 3D Zelda I haven't played and I can't wait to play it. I've waited this long in hopes of a remake like OoT 3D.

#44 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (8140 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@speedfog said:

Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, or A link Between Worlds. Two of these are on 3DS, one of these is on Gamecube or Wii U.

All of these games would be fine for your first Zelda game, but you will appreciate certain sections of Wind Waker more if you have already played Ocarina of Time.

#45 Edited by mems_1224 (48992 posts) -

Lol at Wind Waker. Trash Zelda game is trash. LTTP is the obvious answer.

#46 Edited by mems_1224 (48992 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: I got to the last f***ing dungeon and then MM decided to wipe all my save data on the cartridge by itself. So f*** Majora's Mask!

#47 Posted by Sphensen (814 posts) -

Link to the Past hands down, I was but a wee lad and played that game almost everyday, I can still beat the whole thing in a single sitting, but Ocarina of Time has was what really turned me into a Zelda fan

#48 Posted by smashed_pinata (3290 posts) -

Well considering Majoras Mask is the greatest video game ever conceived by man, i choose that.

It's perfect. Feel free to be wrong though

#49 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34367 posts) -

Majora's Mask for sure.

Wind Waker is probably my least favorite of the 3D console titles, mostly because the dungeons just felt unimpressive by comparison to other 3D titles (still like WW more than both NES titles though)

#50 Edited by AznbkdX (3650 posts) -

Best? Twilight Princess.

Most fun? Wind Waker.

Most interesting? Majora's Mask.