What's the best (console) Mario game?

Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) 4 months, 9 days ago

Poll: What's the best (console) Mario game? (46 votes)

Super Mario Bros. 4%
Super Mario Bros. 2 0%
Super Mario Bros. 3 17%
Super Mario World 15%
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 7%
Super Mario 64 17%
Super Mario Sunshine 2%
New Super Mario Bros. Wii 0%
Super Mario Galaxy 2%
Super Mario Galaxy 2 22%
New Super Mario Bros. U 0%
Super Mario 3D World 13%

There are so many great Mario platformers, and almost every single one of them has set a new standard for platforming upon release. But which of them is the absolute best one? Which one of them do you prefer over all else?

#1 Posted by freedomfreak (39059 posts) -

One of the Galaxy ones.

#2 Posted by jake44 (1960 posts) -

I'd say Super Mario World. Haven't played 3D World though.

#3 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

3D World

#4 Edited by Heirren (16491 posts) -

It is too hard to pick a "best" because all of them are so stellar in their own right. It really just comes down to which Mario game gave the individual the best experience at the given time. For example, Mario 64 is undoubtedly one of my favorite times I had with a videogame. However, so much time has gone by that I can now say Super Mario Sunshine is very comparable to 64, and in ways I can see someone perceiving it as the better game.

Or one can give the term "best" in terms of groundbreaking game design. In this case you can give it to Super Mario Bros or Super Mario 64.

#5 Edited by santoron (7690 posts) -

My favorite is still Super Mario World. Perfect game.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

The One with Co-op ! :p

#7 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

The One with Co-op ! :p

Three of them have co-op.

#8 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000

Find the most co-deprndent one... Thats your winner. That will be the best Mario Game.

#9 Edited by Boddicker (2488 posts) -

The last one I played was Mario Sunshine, but out of those my vote goes to Mario 3. That game is a masterpiece.

#10 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8758 posts) -

on the 2D front, Mario World and Yoshi's Island are on top

On the 3D front, Super Mario 3D World easily takes it. It has the strongest/tightest level design out of any 3D Mario by quite a large margin.

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

Everything except Super Mario Bros 2.

Is that a good answer ?

#12 Edited by PonchoTaco (1961 posts) -

It's between Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

#13 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17310 posts) -

I separate the 2D from the 3D.

The best 2D Mario is super Mario world.

The best 3D Mario is super Mario galaxy 2

#14 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17310 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

On the 3D front, Super Mario 3D World easily takes it. It has the strongest/tightest level design out of any 3D Mario by quite a large margin.

The camera angle/fixed perspective in 3D World got on my nerves eventually. The increased difficulty toward the end highlighted to me how that angle can be troublesome when you're really dealing with speed and accuracy.

#15 Posted by kunal_anand50 (77 posts) -

Super mario bros 3 and its not even close. Haven't played 3d world and galaxy series, though.

#16 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

Super Mario World, then SM64, then Galaxy.

#17 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -

With this I think you would have made a Metroid thread. Sorry Chaz. :(

#18 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8758 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

The camera angle/fixed perspective in 3D World got on my nerves eventually. The increased difficulty toward the end highlighted to me how that angle can be troublesome when you're really dealing with speed and accuracy.

Weird... I can't imagine how the camera isn't showing you everything that you could possibly want it to... It gives you a massive vantage point at all times. I never had a problem with it and it allowed for adjustment anyways. I never had to adjust it myself unless I was observing the visuals or felt like exploring.

#19 Edited by locopatho (20177 posts) -

Super Mario World for the 2D ones. Suck it, Super Mario Brothers 3 fanbois!

Super Mario Galaxy for the 3D ones. The sequel was awesome but I didn't like some of it's linearity and power ups, the first one felt more "pure" and had more impact on me.

Super Mario 3D World is great but I dislike the fixed camera and how crushingly linear it is. It was often close to a 2D game in terms of perspective and gameplay. I know many Mario fans love that but there's already literally a dozen+ 2D Mario games and very few proper 3D ones. And it had the fucking annoying Little Big Planet thing where you are running left to right, but can also move toward and away from the camera into the background/foreground and it's really hard to tell and the goddam camera refuses to show me what I want. That caused me deaths, on one level in particluar (auto scrolling with wire meshes moving back and forth, camera wouldn't show me them head on like I wanted)

Haven't cursed a camera out so much since Mario 64 ;)

#20 Posted by Enforcedspot (2915 posts) -

For 2D Mario games, I choose Super Mario World

For 3D mario games, I don't know what to choose. I like them all. :P

#21 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3449 posts) -

Many of those I haven't played yet, but I'd go with Galaxy out of the ones I have played. Sunshine and 64 are excellent, and 64 still holds up really well today.

#22 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -
#23 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34138 posts) -

2D: Yoshi's Island

3D: Galaxy 2

Overall: Yoshi's Island

#24 Posted by Maroxad (8031 posts) -

64>Yoshi's Island>Galaxy 2>the rest.

#25 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4694 posts) -

2D: Yoshi's Island

3D: Galaxy 2

Overall: Yoshi's Island

Correct answer.

#26 Edited by STEAMSBL0WSSAX (80 posts) -

mario64 easily......it got everything right the real mario artwork work/world from previous 2d games and music ...and the gameplay perfect translation into 3d world.

#27 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Super Mario World

#28 Posted by STEAMSBL0WSSAX (80 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4NpBtAu79g

Super Mario 64 Ending and Credits+Song.

That's one of the most beautiful endings i ever seen in any game, flythrough of all the levels u played on with beautiful music.

The worlds felt alive because u had like animals in the world that werent enemies and i usually hate npc it just made the worlds feel alive one exception.

#29 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4694 posts) -

Aside from SMB2 and Sunshine, 64 is one of the worst. I'll never understand the love.

#30 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

Aside from SMB2 and Sunshine, 64 is one of the worst. I'll never understand the love.

It was very good for its time.

#31 Posted by Heil68 (43397 posts) -

SMB 3

#32 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4694 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

It was the boss 3d platformer for its time, sure.

Still felt incredibly weak compared to its 2d predecessors and has been outclassed a good few times now by its 2d and 3d sequels.

I understand SM64 had some impact, big jump into 3d and all that. It could even be called a land mark title.

When compared to other Mario games it just doesn't stack up though.

#33 Posted by Couth_ (10006 posts) -

I got the most jollies from Super Mario World and SMB3.

#34 Posted by jg4xchamp (47270 posts) -
#35 Edited by STEAMSBL0WSSAX (80 posts) -

mario 64 is the best because levels had a theme from previous 2d mario games example....egyptian level .aka mario 3 nes.

#36 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4694 posts) -

@steamsbl0wssax said:

mario 64 is the best because levels had a theme from previous 2d mario games example....egyptian level .aka mario 3 nes.

Haha, not sure if serious. That's in like, almost every Mario game.

#37 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17052 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. or Galaxy 2.

#38 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Still felt incredibly weak compared to its 2d predecessors and has been outclassed a good few times now by its 2d and 3d sequels.

I understand SM64 had some impact, big jump into 3d and all that. It could even be called a land mark title.

The openness, exploration and excitement of trying to find where that next star is on a level have never been beaten imo. Feels strange to say about N64 game but it felt like the biggest and most ambitious Mario ever. I'd go absolutely ballistic for a new 3D Mario with huge open levels filled with different quests and secrets.

#39 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4694 posts) -

@locopatho said:

The openness, exploration and excitement of trying to find where that next star is on a level have never been beaten imo. Feels strange to say about N64 game but it felt like the biggest and most ambitious Mario ever. I'd go absolutely ballistic for a new 3D Mario with huge open levels filled with different quests and secrets.

Ha, that's exactly what I'm not looking for in my 3D Mario games. Tons of secrets is always great, I can appreciate that.

I dig really tight level design in my platformers though and the openness and exploration as you put it kind of kills that for me. I could be wrong, maybe a new game like that could be amazing. I'm sure EAD could pull it off brilliantly if they had to. If it just played out like an updated SM64 though, then do not want.

I was just as excited as everyone else about how technically impressive SM64 was at the time, but as soon as the flash wore off I was left with a game that pretty much killed my faith in the series. Faith I didn't gain back until Galaxy dropped.

#40 Posted by Wiimotefan (4062 posts) -
  1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Super Mario World
  3. Yoshis Island
  4. Super Mario Bros. 3
  5. Super Mario 3D World
  6. Super Mario Galaxy
  7. New Super Mario Bros U
  8. New Super Luigi U
  9. New Super Mario Bros Wii
  10. Super Mario Bros. (I hate putting this one so low its the game solidified gaming as a hobby for me)
  11. Super Mario 64
  12. Super Mario Bros. 2
  13. Super Mario Sunshine
#41 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I would say Sunshine was even bigger and more ambitious.

#42 Posted by Pffrbt (6525 posts) -

3D World. I've realized that I generally hate 2D Mario games.

#43 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Ha, that's exactly what I'm not looking for in my 3D Mario games. Tons of secrets is always great, I can appreciate that.

I dig really tight level design in my platformers though and the openness and exploration as you put it kind of kills that for me. I could be wrong, maybe a new game like that could be amazing. I'm sure EAD could pull it off brilliantly if they had to. If it just played out like an updated SM64 though, then do not want.

I was just as excited as everyone else about how technically impressive SM64 was at the time, but as soon as the flash wore off I was left with a game that pretty much killed my faith in the series. Faith I didn't gain back until Galaxy dropped.

If they didn't already have a wealth of tightly designed, linear 2D Mario platformers I'd agree with you :)

But since they do, I kinda wish the 3D ones went for the openness and exploration, differentiate them a bit more from the NSMB series.

#44 Posted by Bigboi500 (29284 posts) -

Galaxy 2 easily.

#45 Edited by jbisco25 (973 posts) -

Super Mario World, is the best 2D mario

Super Mario Galaxy 2 the Best 3D mario

IMO