What RPG this gen has the best combat?

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Stringerboy (6950 posts) -

I'm curious.

#2 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
Demons souls.
#3 Posted by Liquid_ (2441 posts) -

DIABLO 3

LOL

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (39204 posts) -
Dragon's Dogma.
#5 Posted by ShadowNemisis21 (136 posts) -

Why is the witcher 2 not on the poll?

The witcher 2 has the best combat.

#6 Posted by clyde46 (45060 posts) -
Mass effect 3.
#7 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
Dragon's Dogma.freedomfreak
how is that game? Ive been wanting to play it since i had fun with the demo
#8 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

ShadowNemisis21
not in the poll. So it sucks. The game is garbage
#9 Posted by freedomfreak (39204 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dragon's Dogma.ultraking

I didn't like it, but the combat was fun. You should go for it if you liked the demo.
#10 Posted by danjin44 (280 posts) -
Persona 4 /thread
#11 Posted by ShadowNemisis21 (136 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowNemisis21"]

ultraking

:(
#12 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7314 posts) -

Mass Effect 3

#13 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
[QUOTE="ultraking"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dragon's Dogma.freedomfreak

I didn't like it, but the combat was fun. You should go for it if you liked the demo.

its one of those games im on the fence about. Not sure if its out on steam , ill check in a sec. If it is ill for sure pick it up during the xmas sale
#14 Posted by boybrushdred (1892 posts) -

Fallout 3 and New Vegas because of V.A.T.S.

#15 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
It got a lot of complaints for it, but the combat in the witcher 2 was very nice. Fast and brutal.
#16 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Witcher 2, I liked the fast paced combat, that makes you feel like a baddass, and what made it better is the fact the game was challenging.

#17 Posted by parkurtommo (26504 posts) -

Demon's Souls and perhaps TW2.

#18 Posted by parkurtommo (26504 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="ultraking"]how is that game? Ive been wanting to play it since i had fun with the demoultraking

its one of those games im on the fence about. Not sure if its out on steam , ill check in a sec. If it is ill for sure pick it up during the xmas sale

It's a console exclusive.
#19 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -
Demon's Souls
#20 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -
Toss up between Demon Souls and Dragon's Dogma for me. But Xenoblade is good, too.. Blah!
#21 Posted by Stringerboy (6950 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma.freedomfreak

Yeah, it's pretty good expect for the bullet sponge enemies.

#22 Posted by Stringerboy (6950 posts) -

Mass effect 3.clyde46

I was surpised at how smooth the combat was compared to ME2, kinda hard to go back to it now.

#23 Posted by Stringerboy (6950 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowNemisis21"]

ultraking

lol well I heard the majority of people hated the combat so I didn't put it up.

#24 Posted by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -
Tales of Vesperia Everyone in your party has their own countless unique fighting style that can be combo'd and altered depending on what skill set you have on.
#25 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultraking"][QUOTE="ShadowNemisis21"]

Stringerboy

i hated combat in witcher 2. Youre poll is fine by me
#26 Posted by Twin-Blade (6795 posts) -

Dark Souls for sure, with Monster Hunter Tri as a runner up probably. Someone mentioned Diablo 3 as a joke earlier, but I really enjoyed playing the Wizard. Probably the most fun, mechanically, I've had with a clicky ARPG. I'd also like to throw in NIER as an honorable mention because, while relatively basic, there was just something I really enjoyed about it. Landing heavy blows or spearing Shades and hearing that clunky noise and knocking their armour off was satisfying, and being able to steady yourself when you've been smacked away was satisfying as well. I also enjoyed the magic system as well.

The World Ends With You was also fun and unique. I haven't got around to playing Xenoblade. Well, I tried it for 10 minutes on my HDTV and shelved it until I finish some other games and can be bothered bringing out the SDTV. It looked terrible on my HDTV. Witcher 2 is decent, but has a bunch of clunky aspects also.

#27 Posted by Maroxad (8084 posts) -

Best Action "RPG" combat: Mount&Blade: Warband
Runner Up: Dark Souls

Best RPG combat: Knights of the Chalice
Runner Up: Pokemon: Gen 4

Demon's Souls while good, is less refined than Dark Souls combat, Dragon's Dogma I have never played. Xenoblade has mmo combat designed for a controller, but the cheering up made things a bit more interesting (at least it wasnt a micro hell like Dragon Age Origins), and Skyrim's combat is only slightly better than Oblivion's, even worse in some ways such as magic (due to the idiotic design choice to allow dual wielding magic).

#28 Posted by Stringerboy (6950 posts) -

Ah yes Pokemon, forgot to mention it. Easy to get into and addictive but it also has a lot of depth.

#29 Posted by Planeforger (15535 posts) -

Runner Up: Dark Souls

Best RPG combat: Knights of the Chalice
Runner Up: Pokemon: Gen 4Maroxad

Welp, can't really argue with that. I haven't played Knights of the Chalice, but I'll take your word for it.

Meanwhile, call me crazy, but I actually really enjoyed Resonance of Fate's combat. Sure, you just did the same three moves over and over, but the way the characters spun through the air and ran in circles was truly mesmerising

#30 Posted by Vaasman (11266 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultraking"][QUOTE="ShadowNemisis21"]

Stringerboy

I think the combat was decent, the problem was that basically no matter how you play, the game was just way too hard starting out with lousy tutorials and punishing enemies, and then way too easy by the end. I haven't played since EE came out but the difficulty curve was awful in the original version.

Edit: Still a nice step up from Witcher 1's combat which was completely terrible.

#31 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Final Fantasy 13 has the best combat system imo.

#32 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Demon's Souls has good combat, but with no story to drive me forward, I lost interest in the game and never finished it and can't seem to bring myself to go back to it and play it again. I will say that the gaming community left me thinking it was going to be a hard game, but it's not. It's just boring as hell with nothing to drive me to continue on. With no story, I was asking myself why I should continue on.
#34 Posted by Arach666 (23018 posts) -
Mount & Blade has the best combat in any RPG this gen.
#35 Posted by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

The Souls games, Dragon's Dogma and Monster Hunter Tri.

All Japanese ... the West can only do lolcombat ... :)

#36 Posted by MrYaotubo (2637 posts) -

Maroxad

Mount & Blade has the best combat in any RPG this gen.Arach666

This,much better than any of the poll options,M&B is easily the best in that regard.

#37 Posted by kozzy1234 (35155 posts) -

Witcher 2 and Mount and Blade both ahve better combat then all the games you listed imo

#38 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5536 posts) -

Either Mount & Blade or Dark Souls. I like them both for different reasons and its hard to pick one over the other.

#39 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma wins this easily.

#40 Posted by Nanomage (2410 posts) -
Mount & Blade by far.
#41 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

Ah yes Pokemon, forgot to mention it. Easy to get into and addictive but it also has a lot of depth.

Stringerboy

Pokemon has as much depth as a 20 years old archaic turn-based rpg from the Nes. :lol:

#42 Posted by Newhopes (4510 posts) -

Each to there own, my favorite battle system this Gen was Cross edge.

#43 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2132 posts) -

Demons Souls.

#44 Posted by Stringerboy (6950 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

Gue1

Pokemon has as much depth as a 20 years old archaic turn-based rpg from the Nes. :lol:

Competitve brah.

#45 Posted by Maroxad (8084 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

Gue1

Yet, it has more depth than most RPG battle systems.

Powerful, but inaccurate attacks.
Reliable but not quite as powerful attacks.
Attacks with additional purposes, such as an attack+chance of paralysis
Buffs (attack up, speed up, ect)
Debuffs (attack down, speed down, ect)
Major Status Ailments such as poison and paralysis of which, you can only choose one
Minor Status Ailments such as confusion
Nullification skills
Battlefield control skills
Weather
Swapping skills
Delayed Effects
Skills with negative side effects (recoil, sacrifice, self debuffs)
Skills whose power and effect is determined on various variables

Then there are stuff outside combat.

17 Types (fire, water, grass, ect)
An equipment system that actually adds depth to the game a opposed to bigger numbers
4 move limit
A stat gain system, where you have essentially have 127 stat points to distribute although you cant distribute over 63 to a single stat. These points are those that come in addition to those you spend.
A trait system where pokemon each pokemon has 2 traits, 1 which is based on its species, the other which is randomly selected for each pokemon between 2 for its family.

#46 Posted by Senor_Kami (8336 posts) -
For action rpg, it's ME3 easily for me. It's one of the very few where if you plucked out the combat and put it into a pure action game, it wouldn't get voted as one of the worst action games to ever be made. Most action RPGs have flat out terrible combat that makes decades old titles like Streets of Rage seem godly. @Maroxad, most of what you listed is barebones run of the mill every RPG and their mom has this features, whether it be a JRPG or WRPG. Status effects are like the hallmark of a RPG.
#47 Posted by mems_1224 (46581 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma wins this easily.

Gue1
:lol: joke post right?
#48 Posted by archvile_78 (8382 posts) -

Demon Souls by far.

#49 Posted by Riadon2 (1609 posts) -

Replace Demon Souls with Dark Souls and I will pick that.

#50 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

hmm from what I've played...Demon's/Dark Souls or Graces f. Maybe Dragon Dogma. I haven't played Mount&Blade sadly. :(

Personally I don't see how people can vote for the Witcher 2. I'm just not enjoying the combat. >.> Everything else is good though.