What major franchises do you think wont survive next gen?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by vashkey (33770 posts) -

I mean ones that are popular right now. What ones do you think wont survive the transition or will die/lose lots of popularity early in the coming console generation?

#2 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
They should all die next gen.
#3 Posted by Masenkoe (4890 posts) -

CoD. Pleas no mor

#4 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

I don't see COD or AC suriving next gen

#5 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
Gears.
#6 Posted by funsohng (28995 posts) -
Capcom stuff
#7 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

Definitely COD.

#8 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Halo.

Halo 4 just kinda gives me the feeling that they had no clue what they were doing and just used a sh*t ton a money to cover it up.Then again, this is their first game, so maybe they'll get better with time.

#9 Posted by GreySeal9 (25891 posts) -

I don't get why people are saying Call of Duty. It might face a gradual drop off in sales, but COD sells so much that it can shed a good amount of sales and still remain a viable franchise.

#10 Posted by Masenkoe (4890 posts) -

Halo.

Halo 4 just kinda gives me the feeling that they had no clue what they were doing and just used a sh*t ton a money to cover it up.Then again, this is their first game, so maybe they'll get better with time.

Thefatness16

But teh halzoez? Is goot? best game ever, all time graphics king, would pay $400 for a copey

I don't get why people are saying Call of Duty. It might face a gradual drop off in sales, but COD sells so much that it can shed a good amount of sales and still remain a viable franchise.

GreySeal9

6 years from now with a CoD every year? Maybe but I seriously doubt it.

mfw 6 years from now and it would STILL be the same engine probably

#11 Posted by GreySeal9 (25891 posts) -

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Halo.

Masenkoe

But teh halzoez? Is goot? best game ever, all time graphics king, would pay $400 for a copey

GreySeal9

6 years from now with a CoD every year? Maybe but I seriously doubt it.

mfw 6 years from now and it would STILL be the same engine probably

It might stop being an annual franchise, but I doubt it's just going to completely go away. If EA are still making Metal of Honor games, I see no reason why Activision would stop making Call of Duty games.

With all due respect, I think people don't really have any legit reason for thinking the series won't survive. I think it has more to do with the fact that COD is the franchise to hate around these parts. And I'm not even saying this out of any love for the series since I too think the series has gotten extremely uninteresting.

#12 Posted by mems_1224 (49315 posts) -
Assassin's Creed, unless they drastically change up the gameplay
#13 Posted by MarthRingman (1104 posts) -
I would have to put my vote on COD. Remember how fast the rhythm game boom died out?
#14 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -

Halo.

Thefatness16
Nah, in terms of single player, Halo 4 just feels like a prologue for something much bigger. And I bet they'll listen to the community much more next time. I mean they're putting in a skill based ranking system on Waypoint, they'll probably add it to the game itself next time. Plus Frankie seems really embarrassed about CTF, like they thought it was a good idea but it was too late in development to change it. As for franchises that will die, CoD (once the casuals go, CoD will go, and they've been going), AC (3 feels rushed and Watch Dogs may be Ubisoft's go to franchise), Gears (No Cliffy B, Judgement's multiplayer doesn't look too great), Resistance (probably dead already), inFAMOUS (same as Resistance but from a story perspective), Medal of Honor (Warfighter sucked), Killzone (Sony may just bring in a new IP), and Bioshock (Infinite has been through development Hell).
#15 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9584 posts) -

God of War and Gears will probably stop. They both should have ended already.

#16 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -

GreySeal9
Because of Guitar Hero. Activision milked it to death, killed it, and put all their money toward CoD after doing the same thing to Tony Hawk. Destiny will be Activision's big game next gen. If they put hundreds of millions in for advertising you bet it will be a mega hit.
#17 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
Hopefully CoD dies next gen.
#18 Posted by Basinboy (11528 posts) -

Generally, most any IP shouldn't last beyond 4 installments IMO. That is, unless, gameplay modifications drastically alter the newest installment from previous.

#19 Posted by mems_1224 (49315 posts) -
Hopefully CoD dies next gen.MercenaryMafia
Why would you want a franchise to die? Thats just childish
#20 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -
[QUOTE="MercenaryMafia"]Hopefully CoD dies next gen.mems_1224

He is right, COD sucks...Its a disgrace to gaming.
#21 Posted by mems_1224 (49315 posts) -
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="MercenaryMafia"]Hopefully CoD dies next gen.faizan_faizan

In your opinion. A lot of people disagree with you. If you're so bothered by it then don't play it. Problem solved.
#22 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Halo.

TheDidact

Nah, in terms of single player, Halo 4 just feels like a prologue for something much bigger. And I bet they'll listen to the community much more next time. I mean they're putting in a skill based ranking system on Waypoint, they'll probably add it to the game itself next time. Plus Frankie seems really embarrassed about CTF, like they thought it was a good idea but it was too late in development to change it.

While I thought the single player was great, the multiplayer is a mess. Way too many things in MP that would have had no shot getting past Bungie.

There is no way the Boltshot should have even gotten past testing as a spawn weapon. The loadout system is pretty much rendered useless, when you have a dominant primary weapon and a dominant secondary.

Ordinance system is garbage too, since it negate the point of global ordinance, since you're rewarded with power weapons at will. No point in using most of map to control points for power weapns when you can rain them down all game.

Not to mention a plethora of other problems the game has.

• Netcode is a step down from Reach
  • Again, stiffled vehicles due to Anti vehichle weapons at spawn
  • Unbalanced tactical/support packages
  • Disproportionate amount of 4v4 to big team maps
  • removal of content, customization options

The real thing they improved over Reach was the base gameplay. Higher movement speed, higher jump hight, better killtimes, no bloom.

As I said they might get better with time though.

#23 Posted by mems_1224 (49315 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheDidact"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Halo.

Thefatness16

Nah, in terms of single player, Halo 4 just feels like a prologue for something much bigger. And I bet they'll listen to the community much more next time. I mean they're putting in a skill based ranking system on Waypoint, they'll probably add it to the game itself next time. Plus Frankie seems really embarrassed about CTF, like they thought it was a good idea but it was too late in development to change it.

While I thought the single player was great, the multiplayer is a mess. Way too many things in MP that would have had no shot getting past Bungie.

There is no way the Boltshot should have even gotten past testing as a spawn weapon. The loadout system is pretty much rendered useless, when you have a dominant primary weapon and a dominant secondary.

Ordinance system is garbage too, since it negate the point of global ordinance, since you're rewarded with power weapons at will. No point in using most of map to control points for power weapns when you can rain them down all game.

Not to mention a plethora of other problems the game has.

• Netcode is a step down from Reach
  • Again, stiffled vehicles due to Anti vehichle weapons at spawn
  • Unbalanced tactical/support packages
  • Disproportionate amount of 4v4 to big team maps
  • removal of content, customization options

The real thing they improved over Reach was the base gameplay. Higher movement speed, higher jump hight, better killtimes, no bloom.

As I said they might get better with time though.

While I do think they kind of stumbled with the multiplayer I still think its pretty good. 343's first shot at a Halo game was pretty impressive. Im confident that next gen when Halo 5 drops that they'll listen to the community and fix their mistakes.
#24 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
CoD. We already are seeing the franchise's sales in decline with Black Ops 2, and it's only a matter of time before there is a CoD game that flat out does not sell well.
#25 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7640 posts) -

GreySeal9
Ya that always cracks me up. The people on here are always saying CoD is dying off but in the real world it kicks the crap out of everything. They will laugh if it sold slightly less then the previous game even though with that slightly less amount it still has super amazing sales.
#26 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

While I do think they kind of stumbled with the multiplayer I still think its pretty good.mems_1224

I agree, the base gameplay is great. I'm just peeved with all the poorly made adjustments/additions.

343's first shot at a Halo game was pretty impressive. Im confident that next gen when Halo 5 drops that they'll listen to the community and fix their mistakes. mems_1224

As I said, they could get better, and I have to give them a chance since Halo is my favorite franchise. I'm just not going to be anywhere near as optimistic as I was about Halo 4.

#27 Posted by Armoured_Mage (766 posts) -

i really hope madden dies.

#28 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11997 posts) -

I don't see Sonic (Or really any Sega franchise) surviving next-gen.

#29 Posted by mems_1224 (49315 posts) -

Armoured_Mage
I just want it to get better. Madden has been garbage the entire gen. I really wish there was a good football game out there :?
#30 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9911 posts) -
well EA has said that Dead Space 3 will need to sell 5 million or they'll pull the plug on it, so I'll go with that series.
#31 Posted by GreySeal9 (25891 posts) -

PhazonBlazer

Doesn't Sonic still sell really well? Sonic could survive on brand name alone.

#32 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
-Killzone -Infamous -Littlebigplanet -Uncharted -Resistance -God of War - 3D Metroid -Gears of War -Assasins Creed -Call of Duty (It's going to end somewhere just like Guitar Hero) That's all I can think of for now.
#33 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11997 posts) -

[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

GreySeal9

I guess, but Sega is running into troubles and is starting to move toward iOS instead of main console releases,

#34 Posted by GreySeal9 (25891 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

PhazonBlazer

I guess, but Sega is running into troubles and is starting to move toward iOS instead of main console releases,

Well, yeah, I'm not denying Sega's troubles. I'm just saying that they'll probably be able to sell Sonic games even if they can't maintain their other franchises.

#35 Posted by klusps (10385 posts) -

I can see many reboot of franchises in the next gen but some there will be pretty hard to reboot is God of War, Gears of War, and Uncharted franchise. I also have a feeling COD will eventually take second seat to another shooter next gen.

#36 Posted by AgentA-Mi6 (16447 posts) -

Medal Of Honor, Call of Duty and potentially World Of Warcraft.

#37 Posted by darkspineslayer (20756 posts) -
Wouldn't affect me, but I think the writing is on the wall for CoD. Even the Superfans are getting tired of it.
#38 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

I don't see cod dying. I do see it getting smaller.

#39 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

MakeMeaSammitch
I wonder if it will be like Tony Hawk, where Activision keeps zapping it with the paddles until they have to call in a code blue, of if it will be like Guitar Hero where all it took was one year of bad sales and they canceled it until further notice? Activision isn't exactly predictable in that way, although the one thing they are consistent about is exploiting franchises until people get sick of them.
#40 Posted by NYrockinlegend (2025 posts) -

-Infamous: Sales weren't too good for Infamous 1 or 2. I can't see Sony trying to push this series much more.

-LittleBigPlanet: Hopefully not, but sales for LBP2 were kind of low compared to its predecessor. LBP Karting, though not by Media Molecule, also hasn't been too successful.

-Bioshock

-Resistance: Resistance 3 was a series low in sales(though it was better than R2 imo). I don't think many ppl, myself included, care about this series anymore. -Resident Evil: Capcom has butchered the series with RE6 making it less of a horror game and more of an action movie. RE6 was a colossal flop for the franchise and did not meet sales expectations or the massive hype it received.

-Fable

-Mass Effect: The ending of ME3 disappointed fans too much. More Mass Effect(if they're not done) would prob just add insult to injury and cripple the series even more.

-Call of Duty: Though I don't think it will die out completely right away, its sales will mostly likely continue to decline. It will likely fade out eventually like Guitar Hero.

-Left 4 Dead

-Assassin's Creed

-Fallout

Final Fantasy may start to see a drop in sales too. The fan response from FF13 wasn't too promising. The decline of the FF franchise may be near.

#42 Posted by jg4xchamp (51938 posts) -

I don't see any major franchise dropping off hard the way Resident Evil or Final Fantasy did for the most part. Especially considering they are Japanese IPs, and well the Japanese gaming developers have just had their own struggles among the big names. It's surprisingly been the under the radar guys(Sega, Platinum, From Software) that have succeeded while the big guys are under so much scrutiny(Capcom and Square).

The western side I mean I want to say the quality has already began to drop off with the likes of Splinter Cell and Halo and Call of Duty awhile ago. But they still sell. I do think the Tom Clancy games out side of Splinter Cell have definitely hit a bit of a rock bottom. Like after Vegas 2 they all went on some major hiatus, and have been coming back and looking well pitiful. I mean sure that's because the first one back in awhile is Ghost Recon, and that series is a synonym for boring. But still.

#43 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

Timstuff

I wonder if it will be like Tony Hawk, where Activision keeps zapping it with the paddles until they have to call in a code blue, of if it will be like Guitar Hero where all it took was one year of bad sales and they canceled it until further notice? Activision isn't exactly predictable in that way, although the one thing they are consistent about is exploiting franchises until people get sick of them.

I think we're starting to see that.

Especially this one being one of the weaker, if not the weakest title in the series.

I think unlike tony hawk though, the sales is driven by mulitplayer, and freinds tend to buy it as a group.

As long as that keeps up, it'll still have a base. I think if some games step up their multiplayer next gen (I mean like resident evil:CV -> RE4 quality jump) across the board and both by sony and M$, we could see the franchise die.

That's a big if.

#44 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3378 posts) -

Gears of War.

#45 Posted by trollop_scat (2655 posts) -

Silent Hill

#46 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Assassins Creed and Mass Defect.

#47 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

Is uncharted major? 'Cause I see it being a goner. A.C. is as good as dead too. Plenty more but that's all I got.

#48 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

[QUOTE="Armoured_Mage"]

mems_1224

I just want it to get better. Madden has been garbage the entire gen. I really wish there was a good football game out there :?

13 is pretty damn good from the demo. They stepped it up as good as 09 nhl did imo.

#49 Posted by Ballroompirate (23926 posts) -

Battlefront...oh wait.....I ment Conker....uhhh how about Killer Instinct...damn..

#50 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] Why would you want a franchise to die? Thats just childish

In your opinion. A lot of people disagree with you. If you're so bothered by it then don't play it. Problem solved.

I don't.