What kind of console should Nintendo make next?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Personally, I have a feeling they will try to make a handheld/console hybrid by 2017-2018. Makes sense, because I think its over for Nintendo when it comes to dedicated home consoles after the Wii U.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

I don't see them moving away from home consoles.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Handheld\console hybrid doesn't make sense.

Also,inb4 a powerful console to match the now HD-twins

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

They should do what every Nintendo fan wants and release a console that plays every single Nintendo game ever made

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@MonsieurX:

Makes sense to me. Maybe not literally a hybrid, but more of something that is portable and can play console like games.

I guess a good way to say it is a Vita but with more features. Oh and it can go to your TV screen with the flick of a switch with better resolution.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

They shouldnt make a home console. If they insist on doing something they can make a Vita TV like product for their next handheld where its just the guts of the handheld that plugs into the TV.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

something that is much cheaper than the competition.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Handheld/console hybrid... What you mean the Wii U? That's as close as you can get to that.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Unless they are going to start taking things seriously again in the home console market, I don't think they should make another console.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: Kind of yeah. Not entirely though as its still not portable enough. You can barely leave the room until it starts to freak out, it still requires a console box to be near, and it still is missing out on core console features that would make it a great hybrid experience.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Handheld\console hybrid doesn't make sense.

Also,inb4 a powerful console to match the now HD-twins

A Handheld/Console Hybrid does exist and it's from Nintendo.

With WiiU this can happen once more with DS and 3DS games thanks to the gamepad.

Nintendo just needs to Open WiiU up to the 3DS family and we can finally play some awesome games on the system.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

My best guess is a console/handheld hybrid as well.

It's already possible to actually hook up a smartphone or a tablet to a tv, and play your content on the tv. Only problem is the controls requires you still hold the smartphone or tablet.

But a more thought out device for TV use would be something like the 3DS being able to dock into a TV, and the Wii U pad would be used to play 3DS games on your tv. Then if you want to take your games portable you just remove the 3DS, and put it in your pocket.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Nintendo won't be making another console after Wii U. They have zero idea what to do right now for their next console and the Wii U is bombing hard. They need to come up with an idea and quick, then start R&D and get that sucker out as quick as possible. I don't see that happening.

Whats left that nintendo can do? VR isn't ready yet and it's too expensive. They can't compete with the powerhouses of Sony/MS. This leaves with.....Wii 3? LOL. They need to go 3rd party and they know it.

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

It will be a FUSION between The Virtual BOY and The Power Glove. XD

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Whatever it is I hope it launches with the Vitality Sensor.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I would go with a handheld/console hybrid, focus on handheld. Maybe something that docks for charging and playing on a TV, comes with a more standard controller.

Right now Nintendo is their own worst enemy, they split their resources between two systems every generation. Would be great if they focused on a HD handheld that day one also was a HD console.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

One that gamers want and not babies and their hawt 29y old moms.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

Core gamers tend to buy a Nintendo console as a supplement to their PS or Xbox. Nintendo should accept that and run with it. Forget about making a console that has all these extraneous non-gaming functions. They should cut all that out, thereby bringing down the cost of the system and allowing them to focus on making it cheap, small, and durable (I am so sick of the yellow light of death). People can use their PSBone to watch youtube, post on Facebook, and buy flowers online, then turn on their Nintendo-Us (or whatever) when they actually want to play games. Make it compatible with the gamepad, pro controller, and wiimotes, but don't make any one of the the focus of the system. Developers would use whichever input device makes the most sense for the game they are making. If they made something like this for $100-$150, people would totally buy that to play Zelda and Mario Kart.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

make one without a gimmick and with actual gen defining graphics....though i doubt it, most of their franchises aren't about realistic looking graphics and more about aesthetics so they dont need pc like graphics

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

They will make one that consumers understand. :P

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

a good one.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

a controller using Feet

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Keva820
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

A good one that isn't a pos

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#25 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

A Wii U 2.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

A Wii U 2.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The only console.

Negro-y-Azul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Negro-y-Azul
Member since 2013 • 79 Posts

They should make a PS4, except with a Nintendo logo and games. It'd be the best console of all time.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I think a handheld/console thing would make sense. I think they already started doing that with the Wii U gamepad. It's a constrained portable. A possibility is that the Wii U Gamepad-like device would replace the handheld. So in other worlds, the handheld console is the controller for the console.

The problem with this approach is that it cuts out a lot of markshare that Nintendo could make. For example, they would only make 1 mario kart's per generation, rather than two (one for the handheld, one for the console). I think this heavily depends on what the market is doing, and what they need to do. But who knows how it will pan out.

Anyway, as for what they "should" do, I don't want to say, because I like things being made for me that surpasses expectation and surprises me :) Kind of like the Wii U with the gamepad or the Wiimote for the Wii. Unexpected things I wouldn't have thought of doing.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#30 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

One where there aren't any gimmicks and have AAA titles like Mario,Zelda,Smash Bros and Metroid.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I'd like nintendo to develop a high end console with all the bells and whistles of xbox one and ps4 are doing. O my console has this feature well my console has this feature, shut up non of that matters everything you can do on these consoles there are dedicated tech out there already, games are what matter.

a gaming machine with the power, and no fuss, i'd buy that straight away plus it would get me back playing mario games and zelda and all that but i want the top end graphic games aswel.

Wii U for me is to expensive for what it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Unfortunately, I think Nintendo are forever doomed to be behind in hardware power when it counts. Their next console will be more powerful than Ps4, but it will only be by a fraction compared to how much more powerful Ps4 is to Ps3, or any other generational leap. That's still great, but how long do you think PS4 will have been out by then?

Wii U shared this same problem. So unless Nintendo makes a console that completely ditches every tool and every single piece of tech they've used since the gamecube days and make a beast of a console from scratch that blows Ps4 out of the water like the leaps we used to see, the extra power that's in their next console might not matter in the grand scheme of things.

Do you see this inward looking, slow moving Nintendo that we see today doing this? No, not unless Wii U changes their minds.

But the bottom line is they have to rely on quality hardware, quality controllers and have quality games ready to go with the new console, instead of thinking a gimmick is going to keep printing them money because it clearly isn't. Games sell hardware, that's it. Wii was a phenomenon that's likely never to be repeated.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I have the same feeling with WiiU as I had with Dreamcast before Sega bowed out. Biggest difference is that Dreamcast was a great system.

I'm ok with Nintendo going 3rd party.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I don't see them moving away from home consoles.

Neither do I.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

if they could make it work then a hybrid would solve a lot of problems for them.

mobile hardware is coming on leaps and bounds so in 4 years time mobile tech should be able to give the PS4 and X1 a run for their money (that would be nintendos target for the wiiu successor). i think the other thing sinking into nintendos head is that people outside japan dont tend to take their 3DS outside much so making a bigger handheld is not going to be the end of the world.

the difficulty is designing the device in such a way that it would work very well as a console and as something that people can still use while on the move if they wish. there is a lot of conflict between the 2 requirements. a console should be working flat out at all times where as a mobile device should be more frugal on the power drain. a console is best used with sticks, a mobile device is better off with nubs (though perhaps the steam controller solution could work very nicely in a hybrid). a console should have a controller shaped to fit the hand confortably. a handheld should be more pocket friendly (i.e. not shield). the max budget for a handheld game should also be a lot less and the hardware should be very friendly and accessibly for small teams....but those with big pockets who want to make a big epic can also do so.

perhaps a big.LITTLE type solution would be the way to go. when on the move the game would only have access to some of the hardware where as the device could work flat out when plugged in. perhaps even divide the licensing arrangement so that developers who only want to make a game for on the move can pay less and only access the LITTLE element where as someone making a console game pays a higher licence fee and gets access to everything.

the other big issue is cost and risk. going the hybrid route would mean all eggs would be in one basket. if the market doesnt like it then nintendo would be very screwed as they would have nothing to fall back on. it also does not give people a choice. what if i only want the handheld element and am not remotely interested in nintendos console offerings? i would be paying more and using a very small subset of the devices ability. or what if i want a console and have the silly "lol handhelds" attitude? again paying more and not using it.

so the hybrid idea is tricky to make work.

its hard to see what else they can do though.

if they go 3d party then they will fail badly. it will be sega all over again. much to the joy of SW though i am sure.

if they try to compete in hardware then they will lose: ref the N64 and gamecube. they dont have the resources to make that work.

they cant compete on features as they dont have their thumbs in the right pies. both sony and MS are heavily involved in different forms of media. games is only a tiny segment of those behemoths. nintendo is tiny and is a gaming company only. if they try to reach feature parity with the other consoles then they will price themselves out of the market or loss leader themselves into oblivion.

a different take on controllers again is a 50/50 bet. it didnt work with the N64, it did work with the wii but looks like its been rejected again with the wiiu (the gamecube was basically a more traditional controller).

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

None, Nintendo plz go 3rdparty and only make games for other systems Plzzzzzzzzzzz

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Keva820
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

I honestly don't think any game will move the pos console. Ppl don't want to spend $300 on a terrible console just to play another mario game.

Negro-y-Azul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Negro-y-Azul
Member since 2013 • 79 Posts

@osan0 said:

if they go 3d party then they will fail badly.

Why?

Atari and Sega were basically bankrupt when they went 3rd party, hemorrhaging cash, talented people and reputation.

Nintendo, if they chose to go 3rd party on Sony and MS consoles, would do so with massive cash reserves, tons of talented developers, and a stellar reputation for quality games (the hate goes towards their hardware rather than the their games the vast majority of the time, if you hadn't noticed)

Why would this be a failure? Are we pretending Mario can't sell on Playstation?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nintendoboy16

@negro-y-azul said:

@osan0 said:

Why?

Atari and Sega were basically bankrupt when they went 3rd party, hemorrhaging cash, talented people and reputation.

Nintendo, if they chose to go 3rd party on Sony and MS consoles, would do so with massive cash reserves, tons of talented developers, and a stellar reputation for quality games (the hate goes towards their hardware rather than the their games the vast majority of the time, if you hadn't noticed)

Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Smash, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc WON'T sell on PS, because many PS gamers were once Nintendo fans (so they claim) and many cows have since moved on (again... so they claim) from Nintendo's stuff UNLESS they supported more than one system (which is to say, not a lot of them), so that makes it more of a problem. PS owners would take LittleBIG over Mario, Wipeout is/was more popular than F-Zero was (this was before the futuristic racing genre died), hell, they would even take traditional fighters over Smash Bros (before anyone brings up PSASBR, how is that doing in sales and critical reception?).

Being said, they aren't any safer with MS either (looking at you, Rare).

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

Something that can hang with MS and Sony becuase as we have seen the 3rd party suffers if they don't.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

If it's not going to make a fully featured and fully powered next gen entertainment console then it should just make a fully realized next gen handheld that can also be connected to the tv and used like a normal home console but with a touchscreen like the Wii U GamePad.

Basically the GamePad would actually have all the console hardware inside it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

@negro-y-azul said:

@osan0 said:

Why?

what evidence is there to show that mario would sell on playstation or xbox? different markets. platformers generally dont sell on those platformers (e.g. latest cracking platformer to flop: rayman legends. awesome game and sales disaster).

the quality of the games would also take a complete nose dive (ref segas first party. their only saving grace now is creative assembly. a new sonic just released and lo and behold its complete crap). sega today are nothing like the sega of their console era.

the only reason for nintendo to go 3rd party is greatly increased market. the PC, PS and xbox markets are not interested in nintendos offerings so all that would happen is the current nintendo customer base would buy a PS or an xbox and nitnenods development costs would sky rocket.

the hate for nintendo is not just about their hardware (nintendo had competitive hardware and were still hated in places like this). nintendo are fundamentally hated because they dont behave like MS and sony and dont make those types of games. people constantly going on about making zelda darker, getting more realistic visuals for every franchise and other such small minded crap. people here want nintendo to make pokemon, metroids and so on with swearing, blood, gore, and more cinematic......they would prefer naughty dog, treyarch or bungie to be making those games at the end of the day.

nintendo is better off out of the gaming business all together rather than moving to another platform. they have been in different industries before. it may be time for them to move on to something else again if the hardware side fails (itll take more than a wiiu flop to cause that to happen mind). no other platform has a market that would be interested in nintendos games just like they didn't with sega.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nintendoboy16

@osan0 said:

@negro-y-azul said:

@osan0 said:

Why?

what evidence is there to show that mario would sell on playstation or xbox? different markets. platformers generally dont sell on those platformers (e.g. latest cracking platformer to flop: rayman legends. awesome game and sales disaster).

the quality of the games would also take a complete nose dive (ref segas first party. their only saving grace now is creative assembly. a new sonic just released and lo and behold its complete crap). sega today are nothing like the sega of their console era.

the only reason for nintendo to go 3rd party is greatly increased market. the PC, PS and xbox markets are not interested in nintendos offerings so all that would happen is the current nintendo customer base would buy a PS or an xbox and nitnenods development costs would sky rocket.

the hate for nintendo is not just about their hardware (nintendo had competitive hardware and were still hated in places like this). nintendo are fundamentally hated because they dont behave like MS and sony and dont make those types of games. people constantly going on about making zelda darker, getting more realistic visuals for every franchise and other such small minded crap. people here want nintendo to make pokemon, metroids and so on with swearing, blood, gore, and more cinematic......they would prefer naughty dog, treyarch or bungie to be making those games at the end of the day.

nintendo is better off out of the gaming business all together rather than moving to another platform. they have been in different industries before. it may be time for them to move on to something else again if the hardware side fails (itll take more than a wiiu flop to cause that to happen mind). no other platform has a market that would be interested in nintendos games just like they didn't with sega.

Now even CA is having trouble with Total War: Rome II.