What is your favorite Nintendo console?

• 125 results
Edited 4 months, 17 days ago

Poll: What is your favorite Nintendo console? (128 votes)

Nintendo Entertainment System 6%
Super Nintendo Entertainment System 30%
Nintendo 64 21%
Gamecube 31%
Wii 6%
Wii U 5%

Nintendo has had a long and illustrious history in console gaming- longer than any other company ever, as a matter of fact. They have had six different consoles on the market, and each of them has been unique, each of them has brought something new to the table, and each of them has had a marvelous library of gems by the end.

But which of them do you like the best? And why?

On my part, if I had to rank them, I would rank them as follows:

1. Gamecube
  2. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  3. Wii U
  4. Wii
  5. Nintendo 64
  6. Nintendo Entertainment System

I don't have much nostalgia for the NES, since it was out and replaced before I was even born, and its games never aged as well; the SNES is a class act, and possibly, objectively, one of the two greatest consoles of all time; ranking the N64 that low breaks my heart as I absolutely love it, but today, it stands pretty broken and aged, with all of its games having been bettered in some form or another. The Gamecube is my absolute favorite Nintendo console- it had first and third party support, and the exclusives were exceptional, and possibly the most creative Nintendo has ever been yet. The Wii was a bit of a dramatic drop, really, but by the end of its generation, it had so many great games to its name that it's very hard to stay pissed at it. And the Wii U is surprisingly awesome, already shooting up my list of favorite Nintendo consoles, less than two years in. It's got a great library of compelling exclusives, and the Nintendo of the Gamecube era seems to be back, rather than the relatively safe and boring Nintendo we got in the Wii era.

What are your favorite Nintendo systems? How would you rank them?

#1 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

N64

So many classics. Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Starfox 64, Super Smash Bros, Majora's Mask, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Mario Kart, DK64, THPS 1&2, Killer Instinct Gold, Turok, so probably several others that I can't think of.

#2 Posted by farrell2k (6323 posts) -

1 WiiU - Best exclusive game Lineup, best game controller ever invented, awesome motion controls, Wii backwards compatibility.

2. Wii - Awesome motion controls, great game library.

3. Snes - Best 2d game library.

4. Nes - Massive library of good 2d games.

5. Gamecube - Some good games, namely Metroid.

6. N64 - Pass. Not interested in anything. Controller looks and feels idiotic.

#3 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

Nintendo 64 because I really liked DK64, Banjo Kazooie, and some others I can't remember. I had pretty good memories with that console.

#4 Posted by blamix99 (2036 posts) -

i love them all but im gonna pick SNES, cause SNES is were it all started for me

#5 Posted by mems_1224 (47226 posts) -

SNES>N64>NES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>other nintendo garbage home consoles.

#6 Posted by darkspineslayer (19741 posts) -

SNES>Gamecube>Wii U>NES>Wii>>>>>>>N64.

N64 has a few "classics", but for the most part you need to have been dropped as a child to think something like Goldeneye totally holds up.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (58077 posts) -

Wow, Gamecube is actually winning. Now that I did not expect.

#8 Posted by manny280 (1990 posts) -

SNES and GameCube

#9 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26860 posts) -

@charizard1605: Me neither. I expected the SNES to win (which is normally the norm of these threads, and it probably will be that overtime).

#10 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

1 WiiU - Best exclusive game Lineup, best game controller ever invented, awesome motion controls, Wii backwards compatibility.

wii u? they have basically zero third party support. they release like 2 games a month lol. besides mario kart what does wii u have right now?

#11 Posted by Netret0120 (2195 posts) -

SNES. The last Nintendo console I owned filled with 100's of amazing games that i still look back upon fondly:-)

Then I was introduced to Playstation and never looked back after playing Crash:-P

#12 Edited by BldgIrsh (2681 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@farrell2k said:

wii u? they have basically zero third party support. they release like 2 games a month lol. besides mario kart what does wii u have right now?

Besides generic shooters, what does the ps4 have right now?

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (58077 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@farrell2k said:

Super Mario 3D World. The Wonderful 101. Pikmin 3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Lego City Undercover. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Rayman Legends. Shovel Knight. ZombiU. New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo Land. New Super Luigi U.

Make no mistake, the Wii U has a lot of games, a lot of very good games.

Third party support is very important- so it's a testament that Wii U manages to be as good as it does without it.

#14 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Going off of what I played the most I voted GameCube. Put a lot of hours into Smash Bros Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine and so on.

#15 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@farrell2k said:

nothing much. and who's talking about ps4? this was only about the wii u, which was out a full year longer and can't even compete with a recently released console.

#16 Edited by farrell2k (6323 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

WiiU has more than 400 games, and most are 3rd party.....according to Wikipedia.

#17 Posted by Chozofication (2920 posts) -

Wii U.

#18 Posted by BldgIrsh (2681 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@bldgirsh said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@farrell2k said:

nothing much. and who's talking about ps4? this was only about the wii u, which was out a full year longer and can't even compete with a recently released console.

Well I guess we can start discussing about the PS4 now. (Jk, anyways a sarcastic question deserves a realistic response.)

#19 Edited by bunchanumbers (1341 posts) -

1. SNES - Quite possibly the greatest collection of games ever.

2. Gamecube - Fantastic controller, excellent games. Gameboy Player and unique games like Crystal Chronicles and 4 swords.

3. Wii - Great games ranging anywhere from family friendly to incredibly violent. Motion controls and VC made it seem casual but a underrated library.

4. NES - Original games abound and while most have not aged well, the library is still great to this day. Look for the dogbone controller. Its more comfortable.

5. N64 - Breaks my heart to do this to N64. Nintendo's first foray into 3D produced some gems but produced some tough games. My favorite games are the WCW games and the Zelda games.

I can't judge the Wii U yet because its so early on in its lifespan. But when its all said and done I think it will probably be 4 or 3.

#20 Edited by starwolf474 (693 posts) -

N64 was my favorite because of it's revolutionary games like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time that at the time made my jaw hit the floor in amazement and for being the ultimate party machine! Many of my greatest gaming memories were from playing the N64's unbeatable multiplayer game library with my friends.

My complete rankings are:

1. N64

2. SNES

3. GameCube

4. Wii U (Pretty impressive for only a year and a half; I think it will pass up GameCube on my list soon)

5. NES

6. Wii

#21 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

WiiU has more than 400 games, and most are 3rd party.....according to Wikipedia.

Tell me, how many of those third party games are on par with the quality of the first party games?

#22 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6198 posts) -

Definitely Gamecube. Very underrated.

#23 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

Virtual Boy. Nuff said.

#24 Edited by farrell2k (6323 posts) -

@shadowchronicle said:

@farrell2k said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Tell me, how many of those third party games are on par with the quality of the first party games?

I haven't played them all, but probably not many as Nintendo's first party games are always top notch. What's the point of the question though?

#25 Edited by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@shadowchronicle said:

@farrell2k said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

I haven't played them all, but probably not many as Nintendo's first party games are always top notch. What's the point of the question though?

Having more third party games is never a problem. The problem is how they are received by the general population. We can talk about how many movie and jenga games there are to first party games like Mario and Zelda but all it would mean is that there's a bunch of crappy shovelware on the console itself.

#26 Posted by l34052 (3211 posts) -

N64 for me. Back in the day when the kids were young and went to bed early me an my friends would get stoned and have some epic multiplayer battles on Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64 and F Zero 64, good times and memories.

#27 Edited by PapaTrop (1290 posts) -

I've enjoy the N64 and SNES the most (though the SNES holds up more today).

However, I have this feeling that if I devoted as much time and money as possible to all Nintendo platforms that my favorite would be the DS (or the 3DS if we count backwards compatibility).

There are just so many DS games I wanted to play while that system was still active, but unfortunately I'm not rich enough for console or handheld gaming.

I suppose that system would be very cheap nowadays though..... Too busy playing tons of PC games, however.

#28 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3606 posts) -

Wii. Lots of great games, most of which get overlooked sadly. And the Wii Remote and Nunchuk are such great controllers, especially for FPS.

#29 Edited by Seabas989 (10375 posts) -
  1. SNES
  2. Gamecube
  3. NES
  4. Wii
  5. N64
  6. Wii U
#30 Posted by Ballroompirate (23012 posts) -

Have to go with N64, Wii-U I can see topping it later on, at least for me.

#31 Posted by jg4xchamp (48297 posts) -

Snes>Nes>Gamecube>N64>Wii=/=WiiU

#32 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10587 posts) -

N64 even though it had one of the worst controllers of all time.

How did so many people like that terrible purple cube?

#33 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Wii. Lots of great games, most of which get overlooked sadly. And the Wii Remote and Nunchuk are such great controllers, especially for FPS.

wait What..???

eitherway closest thing to nintendo i enjoy was some SNES games when i was kid. i hate nintendo with patience

#34 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3606 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@princessgomez92 said:

wait What..???

eitherway closest thing to nintendo i enjoy was some SNES games when i was kid. i hate nintendo with patience

First Person Shooter.

"With patience"?

#35 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

Sadly i haven't owned either of those.

#36 Edited by santoron (7769 posts) -

SNES has without question one of the greatest console libraries of all time.

You can choose any of these other systems for nostalgia, or because you're too young to have much (or any) experience with the SNES, or whatever. But none of them can honestly touch the Super Nintendo if you're focusing on the games... and know what you're talking about. :P

#37 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

First Person Shooter.

"

i know. but how is WII good for FPS?? do you think Wii is better for FPS than keyboard/mouse??

#38 Posted by MonsieurX (30404 posts) -
@system-reboot said:

@princessgomez92 said:

First Person Shooter.

"

i know. but how is WII good for FPS?? do you think Wii is better for FPS than keyboard/mouse??

It's nice but you wouldn't like it SNIPER

#39 Posted by commonfate (12449 posts) -

SNES has a more impressive library on paper but I spent more time playing the GameCube than any other single Nintendo system aside from the GameBoy Advance.

Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, and Tales of Symphonia devoured hundreds of hours of my teenage life. Super Smash Bros Melee is at least 1000.

Wii U is looking promising to take a comfy third place for Nintendo consoles. Xenoblade 2, Super Smash Bros and Zelda U are looking solid.

#40 Posted by Gue1 (10180 posts) -

Snes, the only good console they have ever made since the Nes and the last time they had actual 3rd party support.

#41 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34155 posts) -

Personally, I'd rate it:

1. SNES
  2. Gamecube
  3. Wii
  4. N64
  5. NES

Not going to include the Wii U since the 8th gen isn;t over yet, though I have been satisfied with it.

#42 Edited by Microsoft1234 (7674 posts) -

N64, it was home to some of the best games of all time. it was a great era with the ps1

#43 Edited by bulby_g (1130 posts) -

N64. Mainly because of the local MP games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Turok, Duke Nukem, Snowboard Kids, etc. So many hours spent having tournaments on these with all my mates over, can't beat that. Online just isn't the same. Then you've got Mario 64, 1080, OOT, MM, etc. There was never that many games but a lot of them are my favourite console games of all time.

Having lots of fun with the Wii U though and it has decent local MP offerings. If they actually keep up the quality of games and roll out a decent amount it could be a contender eventually.

#44 Posted by silversix_ (14777 posts) -

The first console i owned was the N64. Nostalgia speaks and tell me N64 is my fav

#45 Edited by freedomfreak (40870 posts) -

Gamecube.

#46 Edited by lamprey263 (24125 posts) -

That's a hard one to answer, I loved each of these consoles oh so dearly, so I'll rank it on the metric of which system dominated my attention between other systems of their respective generation...

1. NES - there was no competition really against the Master System, which I had too, but Nintendo was king then no question about it.
  2. SNES - during the generation between the SNES and Genesis I'd say my attention between the two were split dead even.
  3. N64 - I gave this system a fair amount of attention, though the PS1 dominated that gen easy. Though the N64 was the best system for multiplayer IMO, with games like Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, GoldenEye, NFL Blitz, the N64 got a lot of play with friends.
  4. GameCube - though I never owned one, I probably played just as much GameCube games on my Wii than I did Wii games, thanks to GameCube BC on the Wii.
  5. Wii - the Wii was a fun system, it mostly served as a companion console to the Xbox 360 which dominated my attention that gen.
  6. Wii U - well, I love it a lot, and since the only current gen system I have I feel I should rank it last tentatively since I feel the gen isn't over, plus I imagine that if I get an X1/PS4 that I'll be putting lot more time on those, plus ranking it last fits with the established pattern you see.
#47 Posted by superbuuman (2890 posts) -

SNES for me all time favourite from Nintendo...appearance wise GameCube is my favourite.

#48 Posted by Sgt_Crow (4406 posts) -

1. GameCube
2. Wii U
3. SNES
4. Nintendo 64
5. NES
6. Wii

#49 Edited by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

1. N64

2. Gamecube

3. Wii U

4. Wii

5. SNES

6. NES

N64 easily wins out for me. Even though it had a shit controller it had an amazing library of classics (some of which are among my favourite games of all time) from 1st and 3rd party developers by the end of its life.

LoZ Majora's Mask, Turok, Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, World is Not Enough, LoZ Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Star Fox 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, etc., etc.

None of the other Nintendo platforms can hold a candle to the N64 in terms of game library in my opinion.

#50 Posted by Litchie (16367 posts) -

GameCube. That was one epic console. Nintendo at its finest.