What is your definition of casual vs hardcore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

For me it comes down to ease of entry and time. If a game is easy to pick up and doesn't require too much of an investment than it's casual or casual leaning. Meaning anyone can really pick it up. But if it requires more time and skill to master it's hardcore or hardcore leaning. You would need more time for practice and such. You, SW?

noodlevixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 noodlevixen
Member since 2010 • 480 Posts

Love vs. Time waster

A lover of videogames who spends time keeping up with the industry, plays videogames for the experience and is dedicated to the hobby is hardcore. People who just want to move time forward with small bits of gameplay during life and are not otherwise invested in videogaming as a whole are "casual".

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Hardcore. Games that take years of dedication to get good at. Ones that are super competitive and require perfection of every aspect to be good at. Ones where when you watch a pro play, it looks like a computer with a full suite of hacks playing instead of a person. The only objective is to keep ranking up.

ie Counter Strike, Starcraft, DOTA

Casual games are ones where you sit on a couch and just play. Games that don't require immense practice. ie cinematic games (TLOU) or most AAA shooters (Titanfall, Killzone)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

How much time you spend online telling people how hardcore you are

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

The amount you lift whilst playing games.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#6 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Can't say I concern myself with these terms. Think they're stupid, and I just play what I enjoy.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

in the end you are playing a game and every single one is a casual experience .

and if you consider sitting on your ass while pissing around in an imaginary war zone or dungeon or race track hardcore then i don't know what to tell you.

probably something like.

something something just enjoy your game and quit defining unimportant shit like it is some kind of a major life choice something something something else related to reality that you don't want to hear.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@lundy86_4: I can lift 5 doritos at a time !

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4: I can lift 5 doritos at a time !

Whoa! My record is exactly one Mountain Dew. Or maybe half a Strongbow.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@noodlevixen said:

Love vs. Time waster

A lover of videogames who spends time keeping up with the industry, plays videogames for the experience and is dedicated to the hobby is hardcore. People who just want to move time forward with small bits of gameplay during life and are not otherwise invested in videogaming as a whole are "casual".

Wow this is a damn good summery of my own opinion. Well done.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Casual - You.

Hardcore - Everyone else.

(This has been the definition I have been told by many knowledgable Internet folk.)

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@noodlevixen said:

Love vs. Time waster

This seems like the best answer.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Casual gamers - people that play for the fun of gaming but play here and there and don't care what people think of them, they play and have fun. These are usually the type of gamers with jobs, that are supporting a family, and have lives outside of gaming. If they lose in a game, it's still fun to them. They don't take it seriously.

Hardcore gamers - The type of gamer that plays only for their reputation. Not necessarily to enjoy gaming but to say "I'm better than so and so" or "I have such and such console so I'm part of the "cool" crowd. These are the type of gamers that claim they love change and new things but when change comes to a franchise they love, they burn down the internet. These are the ones that care about achievements/trophies. These are also the insatiable gamers. The ones that are never satisfied with a game, even if the developer does exactly what the gamers wanted them to. The ones that rely on DLC and buy unfinished games knowingly only to complain about it not being finished. These are the gamers that whine and rage when they are losing in games such as Call Of Duty (usually the underaged children fall into this type of gamer).

True Gamers - Gamers that play games for the fun of it and will put time into games enough to become good yet still have lives outside of gaming. These kind of gamers actually have friends locally to play games with. They love pwning Hardcore gamers just to hear them whine and rage lol

Glad I'm not a Hardcore gamer

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

It's all about the gamerscore.

People with a low gamerscore don't get laid.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#15 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I've stopped defining it. If you say you are a hardcore gamer, you are a hardcore gamer. I couldn't care less.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

To hell with the labels..... My Candy Crush playing sister is just as Hardcore you so called "hardcore" gamers. Even if she only plays it just to pass by the time and not actually just for fun.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

The amount of time spent playing games and how it stacks up against time spent consuming other media

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#18 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Hardcore: spending time mastering like those in the MLG. They try to earn money at it.

Casual: having fun playing games. The rest of us.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I guess to me the "difference" lies in a few things. A) how serious someone is. B) the type of games they play. C) how much time they invest. How I explain a casual gamer is someone who buys the big AAA blockbuster titles exclusively. They get the NBA 2K's, the Call of Duties, the Maddens, etc. and that's all they buy. They only play games when they are very bored, have time to waste or are just screwing around with friends. A hardcore gamer is someone who follows the industry, gets games that may not be blockbuster titles but are fun. Plays games as a hobby as opposed to just wasting time. Neither one is wrong, it's all a preference really.

noodlevixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 noodlevixen
Member since 2010 • 480 Posts

@Wasdie: Thank you sir.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Does it matter? We'll playing games, that should be enough.

Its just a foolish term to separate gamers. Which shouldn't be happening.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It's all about the gamerscore.

People with a low gamerscore don't get laid.

Saids guy who didn't score 1k on Ride To Hell: Retribution.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

To me it is...

casual = person that doesn't play games too often.

hardcore = person that plays video games a lot.

The type of game has nothing to do with it to me.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Casual: trolls, haters and fanboys.

Hardcore: manticore gamers.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Casual: gaming for the purpose of having fun

Hardore: taking gaming so seriously that you have no fun

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

like, angry birds is casual since there is just 1 control...a 5 year old can play it and a 90 year old can play it

hardcore is multiple controls, more difficulty

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

hardcore = you're really good at the game & play competitively...you're not hardcore just because you are really into the game but really bad at it.

casuals = those just play for fun, being good or not good..don't play competitively.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Well when the phrase was really first used in the 80s it referred to the games that one-upped the challenge level to the player, as well as people that would seek out these challenges. There's very few games in this criteria, anymore. I'd say fighting games are really the last of this "genre", if one were to categorize it. No other genre(fighting) out there, outside of some nintendo games, really supply that musicality to videogames anymore.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Casual Games : You pick up on weekends and finish their 6-8 hour campaign ; full of cutscenes and scripted events , without breaking a sweat . Everyone can play those games , even non gamers .

Hardcore Games : Dedicated to fans of specific genre (sometimes a very niche market) . Such games are more difficult and you need to invest few hours to learn everything about the game . Once you do , the results are rewarding and leaves you satisfied . Such games are not for everyone .

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Anymore I steer away from the word hardcore as it implies different things to different people.

I tend to look at it as Dedicated vs. casual, and I notice it's a word that comes up often in this thread. The difference between the two is time spent on and passion for games.

And it's the same as any other hobby or medium. There are dedicated and casual sports fans, movie fans, My Little Pony fans, scotch fans, Cake fans (both the food & band), and every other person, event, and thing that people enjoy.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Hardcore = Stayed up all night to watch the E3 Press conferences.

Casual = Doesn't know what E3 is.

Interest is the only way to determine where you stand on something, the amount of games and time you put into your game is meaningless... Since all that measures is the amount of free time you have.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

casual a normal person. hardcore a person who is obsessed and needs help. has a superiority complex because they play games the "right" way.

thomasmcshea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thomasmcshea
Member since 2013 • 40 Posts

casual - owns a pc with less than 8gb of ram or does not own one at all

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

Someone who needs game assist's like maps,radar,objective markers,aim assist...etc

that's the difference the hardcore dont want any of that kinda stuff.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

My definition is: I don't give a dam.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#36 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Casual: Play games in their spare time for the enjoyment of it. Play whatever they feel like.

Hardcore: Genuinly believe that playing video games for hours and hours every single day is a "hobby" and not just a waste of life. They enjoy collection these huge libraries of video games and take great pride in playing games that are super hard and challenging. The "hardcore gamer" will often be seen belittling people who are not as good as them at video games, since this makes them feel better about spending huge chunks of their day in front of a screen interaction with virtual figures.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

So many ways to spin this. I always stick by rule, if you have an account to SW and you argue about systems, you are a hardcore gamer. True story.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think less about the type of games and more about the kind of gamer when it comes to terms like "casual" and "hardcore". I think of casual gamers as people who maybe game not that often and sporadically, and maybe get games that only appeal to their particular or narrow tastes or kind of just get a few of the trendy games. I think of hardcore gamers as those that really try to branch out and play everything and broaden their horizon of gaming experiences, spending lots of their free time gaming and always out trying to get their fix, and are eager to talk about gaming with like minded people.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If you have to think or read in the game it's not for casuals.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#40 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@lostrib said:

How much time you spend online telling people how hardcore you are

You mean like SNIPER and Uninspiredcup? They're SO hardcore.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

why do people have so much problem defining these things anyway? Do you guys know what the word "hardcore" means, right?

Hardcore - the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement. Very active and enthusiastic.

Enthusiastic - having or showing intense and eager enjoyment, interest about something.

Is this hard to understand? ^

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

@noodlevixen said:

Love vs. Time waster

This is the only answer...To me their is no such thing as "casual" and "hardcore" games either, games are just games regardless of type.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#43  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

I think.

Casual: Likes linear uncomplicated, ''straight to the mission'' games.

Hardcore: Likes nonlinear fairly challenging games, that makes you use your mind.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

For me it comes down to ease of entry and time. If a game is easy to pick up and doesn't require too much of an investment than it's casual or casual leaning. Meaning anyone can really pick it up. But if it requires more time and skill to master it's hardcore or hardcore leaning. You would need more time for practice and such. You, SW?

Pretty much. This is a moving target IMO.

Casual today: Probably most 2-3 year old and most 70 year olds could pick up, not completely fumble and feel a bit of satisfaction as opposed to playing recent dual stick competitive shooters or games like SC, LoL, etc.

Casual decades from now: (some of our generation) can still pick up and not completely fumble with dualstick shooters (with extensive use of all other buttons) and similar games to MoBa.

It's still subjective. Some consider those thousand hours candy crushers and facebook gamers "hardcore".