What is the smartest console shooter?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

One where you dont just run around and die like a chicken with its head cut off. A shooter that takes strategy and planning in its multiplayer?

#2 Posted by UNcartMe (558 posts) -

bump

#3 Edited by Wasdie (50355 posts) -

You sure you're not talking about 99% of shooters ever made?

I mean really. If you're going to troll and be a general idiot about the whole subject matter, at least understand what the hell you're talking about.

#4 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

You sure you're not talking about 99% of shooters ever made?

I mean really. If you're going to troll and be a general idiot about the whole subject matter, at least understand what the hell you're talking about.

wtf?

#5 Edited by lostrib (40000 posts) -

Does FEAR count?

oh wait you said multiplayer, in that case IDK

#6 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Does FEAR count?

never played BF, but it does look a lot smarter than cod in terms of strategy.

#7 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9514 posts) -

I'll be mostly talking about this gen but not only. Besides, it should be cleared if you mean console exclusive shooters or multiplats. Chronicles of Riddick, Bioshock, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Darkness, Condemned 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Fracture, Singularity. Did I miss anything?

#8 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26223 posts) -

Maybe one of the SOCOM games? I really can't think of anything.

#9 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

@lostrib said:

Does FEAR count?

probably but BF on current consoles is rather gimped relative to the PC version

#10 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (1018 posts) -

TitanFall - action heaven

Battlefield - smart shooter

Cod Ghosts - Noob friendly

Killzone - slow paced shooter

Halo - almost perfection

#11 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

KZ2 or BF3. Probably KZ2 since it's even more slower paced than BF3 and requires a lot of teamwork to win.

#12 Edited by Couth_ (10208 posts) -

Haven't played one since SOCOM. Socom 2 had a fantastic community. Games like battlefield are designed to be played that way but more often than not you will end up with teammates who don't play the objective or communicate, so it doesn't matter. And this is the case with most shooters.

I haven't played it but maybe ARMA?

#13 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Halo 3 and anyone that disagrees never played it at the highest level in multiplayer

#14 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (9514 posts) -

I've always played Halo games on the highest level - I believe that's the way they are meant to be played.

#15 Posted by lightleggy (16073 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

@lostrib said:

Does FEAR count?

BF has POTENTIAL for strategy, and it used to have a very strategic comunity pre-bf3.

However that changed with BF3, since most of the codfools migrated to BF and threw everything to hell, then they turned every single game mode into TDM.

Dear lord, I still have nightmares about what they did to my precious Rush.

#16 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15142 posts) -

Theres some minor cordination in Gears Of War's King Of The Hill and Capture The Leader modes. But I still found Unreal Tournament 3 to be a smarter game. Hopefully Valve will reply with some Portal Combat, in Portal 3.

#17 Edited by lightleggy (16073 posts) -

@kingoflife9: Do FPS counts or you are just counting TPS?.

Max Payne 3 has a really deep multiplayer system (they actually managed to make bullet time work in MP), you need to know a lot about positioning, have good aim, know potential ambush spots, how to keep a low profile and you need to be very very smart about your weapon selection, not every weapon has a good range, and i'm not talking about just shotguns not being able to headshot someone from the opposite side of the map, I'm talking about some assault rifles, pistols or SMGs not being able to hit a target that is roughly 20 ft away. others have horrible accuracy, others have a lot of recoil and worse bullet drop. As well as the perks. It's a really well thought MP, I played it for a long time until it got riddled with bugs, hope they fixed them.

Rainbow six vegas always requires tactical planning before going with the action, ignoring the tactical aspect will get you killed extremely fast.

Bioshock (1 and 2, not infinite) were really demanding in the tactics aspect, but mostly because shooting was clunky as hell.

Counter Strike requires extreme team coordination to win, it's nearly impossible to win if someone in your team (yes even only 1 guy) is doing bad.

KZ2 has a lot of "weigh", you actually feel as if you're a soldier carrying over 60 kilos of equipment, so you gotta adjust your aim and movement for that.

And stalker, at least in the early hours, you seriously have to plan your shit, decide wheter you really want to engage that enemy group or just try to run for it...hell you even have to think twice before passing a door because you can literally die from 1 shot at the beginning of a stalker game. fighting more than 2 enemies would usually end up in you hitting the load button over 60 times.

#19 Edited by lightleggy (16073 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I'll be mostly talking about this gen but not only. Besides, it should be cleared if you mean console exclusive shooters or multiplats. Chronicles of Riddick, Bioshock, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Darkness, Condemned 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Fracture, Singularity. Did I miss anything?

Rainbow six vegas and GRAW (console) is not smart by any shape of form. however PC version of GRAW was ...

I remember the old rainbow six games where a single terrorist could literally kill your entire platoon.

You had to pray before taking a single step in that game.

#20 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Rainbow six vegas and GRAW (console) is not smart by any shape of form. however PC version of GRAW was ...

Yes they were and they require more skill on console because of hardcore control method

#21 Posted by TrooperManaic (3777 posts) -

Well, mass effect 3 sometimes on the hardest mode gives me a challenge. Its not multiplier mode but dat AI.

#22 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (6015 posts) -

You should play more than 1 FPS, especially if you plan to play multiplier at any level. If you stick to only one, you will likely find yourself rage quitting, when you try out other games.

#23 Edited by Grimmiers (34 posts) -

Dust 514

I know the game isn't well received, but the customization is as in depth as armored core and the actual competitive battles require pure teamwork to win.

#24 Posted by PAL360 (27067 posts) -

Left 4 Dead

#25 Posted by Merex760 (4336 posts) -

Counterstrike GO for PC

#26 Edited by sukraj (23426 posts) -

far cry 3 and metro last light

#27 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9514 posts) -

I think Metro 2033 was even more challenging than Last Light.

#28 Posted by _Matt_ (9023 posts) -

To those who say Socom: I tip my hat at you, then raise you a MAG. MAG (especially on the larger game modes) required leaders with good tactics and strategy to win... oh and people acting as a team. It was impossible to win oltherwise.

#29 Posted by sukraj (23426 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I think Metro 2033 was even more challenging than Last Light.

I haven't played the first game but Last Light is challenging.

#30 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Unreal Championship 2

Halo 2

Shadowrun

#31 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Yes they were and they require more skill on console because of hardcore control method

lol "hardcore control method"

#32 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

Left 4 Dead

Ewww, console L4D

#33 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@PAL360 said:

Left 4 Dead

Ewww, console L4D

Takes more skill than KB+M just look at those Halo 3 pros that played on sensitivity 10 and still maintained good aim.

#35 Edited by Liquid_ (2884 posts) -

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@lostrib said:

@PAL360 said:

Left 4 Dead

Ewww, console L4D

Takes more skill than KB+M just look at those Halo 3 pros that played on sensitivity 10 and still maintained good aim.

arguably one of the most hilarious things I have ever read on these forums.

use your controller on a PC and see what happens

no point in using the excuse KB+M are easier

#36 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Call of Duty. Duh.

#38 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Michael0134567 said:

Call of Duty. Duh.

what?

CALL OF DUTY. DUH.

#39 Edited by zeeshanhaider (2747 posts) -

Smart shooters on consololes? Oh the irony....consololes and smart in the same sentence!

#41 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (8787 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Michael0134567 said:

Call of Duty. Duh.

what?

Call of Duty is dumb, casual trash and Michael knows it.

#42 Posted by ristactionjakso (5823 posts) -

Killzone 2 and 3.

CoD and BF suck.

#43 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@Liquid_ said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@lostrib said:

@PAL360 said:

Left 4 Dead

Ewww, console L4D

I play Quake Live with my 360 pad and the average PC gamer sucks. I was 1 v 4 after my team had died and I took em all out with the rail gun and got some achievement for it. I have been playing competitive online console FPS since the Dreamcast so I am on par with most PC fps players.

#44 Edited by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Michael0134567 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Michael0134567 said:

Call of Duty. Duh.

what?

CALL OF DUTY. DUH.

how it is smart shooter?

micheal u need to play more games. its one button game

Lol i play more games than you do. You need to play more games.

#45 Posted by donalbane (16369 posts) -

@kingoflife9:

Games where you can be creative, like Deus Ex Human Revolution and Far Cry 3 are my favorite kind of shooters. Really, anything with a stealth component. Skyrim isn't technically a shooter, but if you go Mage or Archer, it's a fun, smart shooter too.

#46 Edited by wolverine4262 (19932 posts) -

Battlefield or CS:GO... but really all shooters have at least some strategy.

#47 Edited by musicalmac (23245 posts) -

Smart how? Smart by what it references, smart by how mechanically intense it is, smart by how difficult the puzzles are? My first question is addressed by Bioshock in a pretty substantial way.

#48 Posted by ArisShadows (22664 posts) -

@Michael0134567 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Michael0134567 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Michael0134567 said:

Call of Duty. Duh.

what?

CALL OF DUTY. DUH.

how it is smart shooter?

micheal u need to play more games. its one button game

Lol i play more games than you do. You need to play more games.

Its funny because Michael probably does.

#49 Edited by PyratRum (561 posts) -

There's quite a few that definitely require a larger skill set than just running around and gunning.

SOCOM - Slow paced tactical shooter played in rounds with no respawns. Positioning and communication are key in this game. It's a shame that the series this gen was disappointing.

MAG - The game requires a high level of communication on several levels to win. Most games outcome could be determined by the effectiveness of the OIC (Officer in Command) and his handling of off map assets and coordination with platoon and squad leaders. Skill allocation is also important as the most effect squads had a variety of specific roles specced out (Medic, Engineer, Anti-vehicles, Sniper, etc.).

Metal Gear Online - Various gameplay systems come together in this 3rd person shooter that give it a higher entry point and skill ceiling than most shooters. Players had not only be proficient in gunplay but also CQC (hand to hand combat), stealth mechanics, and a proficient in the use of the SOP to communicate with other players or hinder the other team. The leveling system was skill based and fluctuated depending on the players skill. Play well and your level goes up, play poorly and it goes down; none of that progressive unlock crap we see in most games today.

Halo/Gears of War - Clumped these together as they both represent the "arena shooter" style of play. Map awareness and power weapon control are the order of the day here. Old-school and simple but requires some definite skill to play effective.

#50 Edited by Liquid_ (2884 posts) -

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Liquid_ said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@lostrib said:

@PAL360 said:

Left 4 Dead

Ewww, console L4D

I play Quake Live with my 360 pad and the average PC gamer sucks. I was 1 v 4 after my team had died and I took em all out with the rail gun and got some achievement for it. I have been playing competitive online console FPS since the Dreamcast so I am on par with most PC fps players.

That's because the average PC gamer does suck

I bring my KB+M to x-box and none of them can rival against me