What is the second most important?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nerkcon
Member since 2006 • 4707 Posts
I made a... not so great poll (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26762358) that was a rip off of this poll (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26759709). I was going try to make a even more basic poll, but... I came up with something better. The Scenario: You are on this part developer studio, you and your team are the only ones part of this one publisher that didn't suck. The overall publisher is dieing because people have finally wised up and stopped buying their games so they're going out soon, they cut your budget and time by a lot but the gameplay is done. A CEO of a super awesome publisher came up to your team and offered your team a hands off policy, no questions asked position to a $100 million dollar budget project to make the game of your dreams... IF: this last game you have does decently. You have just enough resources to improve one more thing. It doesn't have to be what is better in your opinion, you can pick one you think will help the game get better reviews and/or sales.
LordDhampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LordDhampire
Member since 2006 • 772 Posts
Two worlds, might have been fun without the framerate issues...actually probably not...but it would of been less horrible
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If I were a developer, all of those would be equal goals that I would strive to achieve before letting the game out the door.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
If I were a developer, all of those would be equal goals that I would strive to achieve before letting the game out the door.foxhound_fox
This, but I voted performance. No matter how timeless the story, no matter how revolutionary the gameplay, no matter how sexy the textures, a game will suck with game-ending bugs/unplayable framerates.
Becent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Becent
Member since 2005 • 603 Posts
Wow it seems that if any game were missing JUST ONE of these...the game would suck. Good question OP ;)
mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts
I think gameplay is what matters most.
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

Performance. Nothing destroys a game faster than glitches, crashes and inconsistent framerates; just look at games like Gears of War (1 or 2) and Grand Theft Auto IV for the PC.

Good graphics + Good Performance > Amazing Graphics + Poor Performance. I think games like Left 4 Dead, when maxed out and running at 60 frames per second, look more visually-pleasing than games like Crysis when maxed out yet running at 20 or less frames per second. Also, it's smart to have a good story if it is well incorporated into the game being developed--Half-Life 2 has an incredible storyline that's implemented very well into the gameplay, while Left 4 Dead (a game created by the same developers) doesn't have a complex story but doesn't suffer in any way because of it.

Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nerkcon
If I were a developer, all of those would be equal goals that I would strive to achieve before letting the game out the door.foxhound_fox
I think everybody here would. Some people here would even go as far to never release the game because they couldn't have made it perfect. But you would be passing up on such a game opportunity! :(
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foxhound_fox
I think everybody here would. Some people here would even go as far to never release the game because they couldn't have made it perfect. But you would be passing up on such a game opportunity! :(Nerkcon

You be surprised at how many people here think some aspects of games are more important than others, and sacrificing graphics or story or something else in order to make another aspect better would be something they would do. I bet if this were a thread asking just about "which is more important" you would see a lot of people claiming that "gameplay >>> all -or- gameplay >>> graphics".
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
[QUOTE="Nerkcon"]I think everybody here would. Some people here would even go as far to never release the game because they couldn't have made it perfect. But you would be passing up on such a game opportunity! :(foxhound_fox

You be surprised at how many people here think some aspects of games are more important than others, and sacrificing graphics or story or something else in order to make another aspect better would be something they would do. I bet if this were a thread asking just about "which is more important" you would see a lot of people claiming that "gameplay >>> all -or- gameplay >>> graphics".

Some games don't require a real deep story to be good. IE: Mario. Graphics don't have to be super realistic, just not ugly.I'd personally still rather play Super Mario World over a majority of these super duper awesome graphic games that are out now.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
Some games don't require a real deep story to be good. IE: Mario. Graphics don't have to be super realistic, just not ugly.I'd personally still rather play Super Mario World over a majority of these super duper awesome graphic games that are out now.dotWithShoes

A great game without a quality story can only be made better with a well-crafted narrative.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
it goes like this story, gameplay graphics. all of that is a need for a game.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
1) controls 2) content 3) performance 4)story 5)visuals
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Performance is the most important, to me. Then content, then story, then graphics.
Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nerkcon
1) controls 2) content 3) performance 4)story 5)visuals surrealnumber5
I think controls would fall under gameplay. Other than that switch 2 and 3 around and that would be my list. :)