What is the point of Love and Romance in Gaming?

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

I dont get it. i mean in some games like pure adventure games or JRPGs. it might work

but i seen they have also put in action or FPS games. what is the point of putting it? to me it always ruined atmosphere and remove what made game badass. for example max payne 2 include romance and it would be a lot better if it has not. Halo include romance between mastercheif and cortana. as FPS. Bioshock infinite include romance between main character and elizabeth and on and on.

this never really make any sense and ruined atmosphere.

Discuss.

#2 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

If done well it can work.

Most times it isn't done well.

#3 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -
If done well it can workLumpy311
i prefer games and movies to be more voilent, brutual, and include lots and lots of gore. and blood. not for stupid romantic melodrama crap.
#4 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]If done well it can workSNIPER4321
i prefer games and movies to be more voilent, brutual, and include lots and lots of gore. and blood. not for stupid romantic melodrama crap.

If it doesn't intrude into the story and gameplay, and it doesn't make the main character do stupid ass decisions, then i don't really mind it.

#5 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Infinite love! Where is your love, everyone? Has fear made you forgot what you are? 

#6 Posted by -Snooze- (7304 posts) -

Cause the pursuit of love is  key in most sane humans, thus it helps for a compelling story

#7 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

I stand by the opinion that the industry needs to change its name to interactive entertainment, not gaming. Gaming itself does not represent what the medium currently is, just because you have input into the experience on screen does not equal game. The origin of the word game started way before computer games were created and it followed specific rules but the current medium has way too much going on in different diverse areas that cater to different types of entertainment, some are more rules oriented like a traditional game while some are more entertainment driven, so lumping them all together and calling them game is just a wash. Oooh and saying they are different genre doesnt prove anything as a product like Beyond Two Souls cannot be called a game, nor Journey, Gone Home among many others, then you have adventure games that have a blend of both in Spec Ops, The Last of us etc. It is difficult to compare products that stick to the traditional rules of games like Tetris/Mario to entertainment driven products like Uncharted/HeavyRain.

#8 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

I stand by the opinion that the industry needs to change its name to interactive entertainment, not gaming. Gaming itself does not represent what the medium currently is, just because you have input into the experience on screen does not equal game. The origin of the word game started way before computer games were created and it followed specific rules but the current medium has way too much going on in different diverse areas that cater to different types of entertainment, some are more rules oriented like a traditional game while some are more entertainment driven, so lumping them all together and calling them game is just a wash. Oooh and saying they are different genre doesnt prove anything as a product like Beyond Two Souls cannot be called a game, nor Journey, Gone Home among many others, then you have adventure games that have a blend of both in Spec Ops, The Last of us etc. It is difficult to compare products that stick to the traditional rules of games like Tetris/Mario to entertainment driven products like Uncharted/HeavyRain.

megaspiderweb09

No, gtfo.

#9 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

megaspiderweb09
TL: DR
#10 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

#11 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

SNIPER4321

TL: DR

he wants games to turn into movies and tries to justifie it by comparing Mario to Uncharted.

Wtf?

#12 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -
he wants games to turn into movies and tries to justifie it by comparing Mario to Uncharted.

Wtf?

Lumpy311
than my advice is to quite gaming and watch movies. stop ruining my games. its not like games are not dumbed down enough.
#13 Posted by OhSnapitz (18411 posts) -
As one poster stated.. if done right and it doesn't intrude on the gameplay what's wrong with a little romantic interest? Every game can't be about shooting, stabbing, and gutting people just for the hell of it.
#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12957 posts) -
You CLEARLY DIDN'T PLAY AND FINNISH BIOSHOCK INFINITE.
#15 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

Bioshock infinite include romance between main character and elizabeth and on and on.

SNIPER4321

That would be gross. 

#16 Posted by Maroxad (8270 posts) -

Personally, I find myself frequently wondering why they even bother with a story in the first place, let alone bothering with cheesy and cringe worthy romance. I honestly think that a lot of games out there would be better off if they didnt waste any time or resources writing that drivel that only exists to waste everyone's time.

Stories in this medium that dont tick me off are incredibly rare. And a game doesn't need to have a story, never needed to have one either. Not even RPGs need a story to be good.

#17 Posted by farrell2k (6099 posts) -

Game developers with adolescent mentalities have no idea how to do anything original outside of their childish fantasies.

#18 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

Personally, I find myself frequently wondering why they even bother with a story in the first place. I honestly think that a lot of games out there would be better off if they didnt waste any time or resources writing that drivel that only exists to waste everyone's time.

Stories in this medium that dont tick me off are incredibly rare. And a game doesn't need to have a story, never needed to have one either. Not even RPGs need a story to be good.

Maroxad

No, have stories still, just make them like this if you aren't making them great:

untitled1.PNG

#19 Posted by sweeten16 (2872 posts) -
Pretty much for the same reason they are in movies. As for people saying games don't need stories lol of course they do at least a vague plot is needed in aalmost all games so that the player can follow it.
#21 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

2deep4u

#22 Posted by sweeten16 (2872 posts) -
Pretty much for the same reason they are in movies. As for people saying games don't need stories lol of course they do at least a vague plot is needed in aalmost all games so that the player can follow it.
#23 Posted by sweeten16 (2872 posts) -
#24 Posted by indzman (17798 posts) -

Why is sniper talking about love and romance out of a sudden ? Has sniper fallen in love ??? O_o

#25 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

To prevent them from being the same s*** over and over again with zero character development heroes.

#26 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

Love is one of the most powerful emotions, and if excuted well into a story it could turn the game into something real special

I think more games should focus on romance and less about explosions and violence

#27 Posted by clyde46 (46289 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]

Bioshock infinite include romance between main character and elizabeth and on and on.

edidili

That would be gross. 

Hahahahahahaha
#28 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

Love is one of the most powerful emotions, and if excuted well into a story it could turn the game into something real special

I think more games should focus on romance and less about explosions and violence

Sweenix

I think you should stop being a gamer.

#29 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

Sweenix
so you want all my games to turn into animoo games?? now my Fav FPS is Stalker. imagine if it has love, romance or giving flowers and red roses?? how it would looks like??
#30 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Lumpy311

Why? some of the greatest games and movies and books had a romance subplot or the game was based around it

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 9

Titanic

A Walk to remember

Final Fantasy X

Kingdom Hearts

to the moon

Chrono Trigger

Xenogears

Flipped

Pirates

Romeo and Juliet

And that's just naming a few

I simply believe love can draw someone into a game more then anything else, and i really wish more games had it

#31 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

SNIPER4321

Where? :?

See, SNIPER, due to false assumptions, you're denying yourself a great experience, since Infinite is one of the best FPS games this gen.

#32 Posted by uninspiredcup (8626 posts) -

Emotional attachment.

#33 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Sweenix

Why? some of the greatest games and movies and books had a romance subplot or the game was based around it

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 9

Titanic

A Walk to remember

Final Fantasy X

Kingdom Hearts

to the moon

Chrono Trigger

Xenogears

Flipped

Pirates

Romeo and Juliet

I simply believe love can draw someone into a game more then anything else, and i really wish more games had it

So, old games and old movies? really strong argument.

#34 Posted by clyde46 (46289 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

Lumpy311

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 9

Titanic

A Walk to remember

Final Fantasy X

Kingdom Hearts

to the moon

Chrono Trigger

Xenogears

Flipped

Pirates

Romeo and Juliet

Stop, you're making yourself look bad.
#35 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

SNIPER4321

so you want all my games to turn into animoo games?? now my Fav FPS is Stalker. imagine if it has love, romance or giving flowers and red roses?? how it would looks like??

Sniper san, you really are missing out, you shouldn't be so closed off, love is amazing and it can pull onto your emotions like no other

#36 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

Lumpy311

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 9

Titanic

A Walk to remember

Final Fantasy X

Kingdom Hearts

to the moon

Chrono Trigger

Xenogears

Flipped

Pirates

Romeo and Juliet

avatar and flipped are hardly old, and pirates isn't either, and the reason why love is rarely featured in games today, is due to how niche the audience has become, and most devs focus on games that will appeal to the teenage audience.

#37 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sweenix"]Romeo and Juliet

Probably one of the most uninspired romantic story ever...
#38 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]Romeo and Juliet SNIPER4321

Sniper, i dare you to watch a walk to remember and not cry

You can prefer explosions and violence or whatever you are into, but chuuu arhhh really messen out ;)

#39 Posted by starjet905 (1931 posts) -
Bioshock infinite include romance between main character and elizabethSNIPER4321
Since when did Bioshock Infinite have romance between those two? Of course, that would have opened a totally different can of worms if they did include that. That said, what is wrong with having romance? You seem like someone who's looking purely for gameplay, with zero story, preferably with the aforementioned gameplay being mostly shooting. If so, there are games for those who want that kind of game. You should find some of those and play.
#40 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12957 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]

NameIess_One

Where? :?

See, SNIPER, due to false assumptions, you're denying yourself a great experience, since Infinite is one of the best FPS games this gen.

No its not. The games design is Heavily Flawed !
#41 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="Sweenix"]Romeo and Juliet Sweenix

Sniper, i dare you to watch a walk to remember and not cry

You can prefer explosions and violence or whatever you are into, but chuuu arhhh really messen out ;)

LOL!! u think i will ever cry while watching stupid romantic melodrama???!! I am a Man,.
#42 Posted by Maroxad (8270 posts) -

As for why Romance and love specifically.

A lot of people seem to like stuff like that, Romance sells. Not to mention, Romance can be a incredibly effective character development tool, at least when done right.

#43 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Cause the pursuit of love is  key in most sane humans, thus it helps for a compelling story

-Snooze-

This.  Though every game doesn't need it (and many don't have it.....problem avoided).

#44 Posted by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

Sniper, your mind is obviously too simple to understand a deep emotional story.   Do you know how much of a child you sound like when you throw round the word badass constantly?  Yeah.. didn't think so.  Grow some taste outside your blood, gore roidraging obsessions.   

#45 Posted by Kats_RK (2080 posts) -

I I feel more attached to the story when there's romance.

#46 Posted by PS360Wii4eva (297 posts) -

TC must hate Uncharted:(

#47 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12202 posts) -
Character development. Story. Two things that are apparently lost on you.
#48 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
Telling a writer they can't use love is like telling a carpenter they have to leave their saw at home. It's their job to craft a compelling story; I'd rather they had every tool available for the job.
#49 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

Telling a writer they can't use love is like telling a carpenter they have to leave their saw at home. It's their job to craft a compelling story; I'd rather they had every tool available for the job.lowe0

Lowe just posted in the thread

Abandon-Thread.gif

#50 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28397 posts) -

because most humans work on a scale beyond 2 emotions unlike you.