What is the greatest Nintendo game of all time?

• 105 results
#1 Posted by charizard1605 (54485 posts) -

As a hardware manufacturer, Nintendo may not be what it once used to be, but as a games maker, Nintendo remains unmatched, and they make games that are unlike anything else in the industry. With over 25 years of pedigree under their belt, and franchises and characters old and new, Nintendo's game output ranges across all genres imaginable- and sometimes it creates new genres.

What single Nintendo game, however, do you think is the best? This is any game Nintendo or any of its subsidiaries, second- or third-party developers have created under development guidance from Nintendo. Given all of this... what was the best title Nintendo ever created? From the hundreds of games they have ever released, which one game would you say is their very best?

#2 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12838 posts) -

Super Metroid, followed by Yoshi's Island.

Old school nintendo was a beast, sadly that's not the case anymore.

#3 Posted by GabranthXIII (989 posts) -

Games like Xenoblade and Ocarina of time count? If yes, those two for me.

#4 Posted by Blabadon (25233 posts) -

Galaxy 2. Back to front, I would take this over anything they've made.

The closest otherwise is SuperStar Saga.

#5 Edited by tonitorsi (8136 posts) -

Oh em gee.

Maybe Super Mario 64, or Slaycarina of Time.

#Masterpieces

#6 Edited by kunal_anand50 (77 posts) -

Super mario bros 3!

#7 Edited by mems_1224 (45796 posts) -

The same as the greatest game of all time, LTTP

#8 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3242 posts) -

Ocarina of Time.

#9 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12838 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

The same as the greatest game of all time, LTTP

Back when Zelda could still steal your "heart," containers.

A link between worlds was just ridiculously simple, really soured the experience for me. I missed that pastel hand painted style alttp had as well, that quasi 3d shit was hideous.

#10 Posted by Link3301 (1680 posts) -

Ocarina of Time, followed by some of the other 3D zeldas and the pokemon games.

#11 Posted by cainetao11 (15917 posts) -

I loved the Metroid collection on the Wii. But OoT is my pick. I love that game.

#12 Posted by getyeryayasout (6906 posts) -

Super Mario Brothers.

#13 Posted by Zassimick (6154 posts) -

Most of the greats have been mentioned. Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Bros 3, and there are so many more.

#14 Posted by Sword-Demon (6872 posts) -

Metroid Prime, Zelda OOT, and Fire Emblem 7.

#15 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

Contra 3

Easily best and only product from nintendo i enjoyed, dunno why..

#16 Posted by tigertomas (23 posts) -

Oh em gee.

#Masterpieces

So is your avatar. Joel for president!!

#17 Posted by Ballroompirate (21719 posts) -

Have to go with Majoras Mask

#18 Posted by GreySeal9 (23943 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

#19 Edited by charizard1605 (54485 posts) -

Contra 3

Easily best and only product from nintendo i enjoyed, dunno why..

Not a Nintendo game.

#20 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6183 posts) -

I will jusge them by the impactthey had at the time of release, and as so I would go with either:

Super Mario Bros. (This was the first game I ever had with the NES, and it instantly set the bar from what I should expect, and the least of what I should consider a game could be.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (Now. The first Mario Bros game might set the standard, but SMB 3 perfected it in my mind, the controls were second to none, the often dark and dreary maps in SMB 1 was swapped for a lighter brighter and way more gorgeous looking game, which took the basics of one of the best games ever made, and threw surprises at you constantly. I still play this game from time to time).

The Legend of Zelda (Yeh the very first one, this game was for its time second to none, it was bright big, and filled with secrets and notorious dungeons. It did what no game before or after would ever suceed in doing (for the latter part that would be thanks to the Internet, Dark souls would have been bale to do the same otherwise), It had all the kids on the street share maps of dungeons, secrets and waypoints. around 6-7 kids all diving into this World and tell of thier exploits. No game never recaptured that for me. Most LoZ games build on that framework, but I don't think any ever managed to overshadow it, ALTTP came really close though, but by then it was something I had come to expect, not something that would surprise me).

#21 Posted by happyduds77 (1375 posts) -

Ocarina Of Time, Mario 64, Metroid Prime.

I really like how Nintendo handles graphics. Skyward Sword, Wind Waker, Super Mario 3D World are some of the best games to look at.

#22 Posted by Seabas989 (9960 posts) -

A Link to the Past.

#23 Posted by Big_Pecks (5193 posts) -

Super Mario Sunshine.

#24 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -
#25 Posted by Comduter (2113 posts) -

Yoshi's Island

#26 Posted by Krelian-co (10069 posts) -

Oh em gee.

#Masterpieces

#27 Edited by LordQuorthon (5244 posts) -

Before Super Mario Bros., video games were all about scores. After Super Mario Bros., you were supposed to "beat" the game. Nothing that came before or after that notion changed the history of video games like that.

And yes, I know you could beat certain Atari and Intellivision games, but Super Mario Bros. was the one that brought the paradigm shift with it.

#28 Posted by Krelian-co (10069 posts) -

Before Super Mario Bros., video games were all about scores. After Super Mario Bros., you were supposed to "beat" the game. Nothing that came before or after that notion changed the history of video games like that.

And yes, I know you could beat certain Atari and Intellivision games, but Super Mario Bros. was the one that brought the paradigm shift with it.

the it would be the most innovative, not the best, super mario 3 would be the best mario from the nes era.

#29 Posted by melonfarmerz (1012 posts) -

IMO, the oldschool stuff is only good because nostalgia. I played so much of the first few Zelda's and Metroids, but playing them again today, I just don't find them fun anymore.

For me, It's hands down the Super Smash Bros Frachise. Combined, I probably have over 2K hours invested

#30 Posted by charizard1605 (54485 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Not a Nintendo game.

it is. it was on SNES

Being on a Nintendo system doesn't make it a Nintendo game, are you daft? Is Call of Duty also a Nintendo game, since it's on Nintendo systems? Is Skyrim a Sony game?

Contra III was developed and published by Konami. Nintendo had nothing to do with it.

#31 Posted by LordQuorthon (5244 posts) -

@Krelian-co: When given a choice between influcence and polish, I always go with influence. That's just how I roll.

#32 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Not a Nintendo game.

it is. it was on SNES

Being on a Nintendo system doesn't make it a Nintendo game, are you daft? Is Call of Duty also a Nintendo game, since it's on Nintendo systems? Is Skyrim a Sony game?

Contra III was developed and published by Konami. Nintendo had nothing to do with it.

but nintendo was publisher.

back than there was no such thing as third party multiplatform games. only first party games were released.

#33 Posted by LordQuorthon (5244 posts) -

back than there was no such thing as third party multiplatform games. only first party games were released.

Outstanding! Even by Sniper standards, this is absolutely brilliant!

#34 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (461 posts) -

Galaxy 2, Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island. Can't choose. Gotta get my dart board.

#35 Posted by bbkkristian (14764 posts) -

Ocarina of Time, of course.

#36 Edited by Enforcedspot (2904 posts) -

The legend of zelda skyward sword.

not really, it's Yoshi's Island SNES

#37 Edited by Gue1 (9164 posts) -

Mario Bros 3, Super Metroid or Zelda OoT.

#38 Posted by Heil68 (42691 posts) -

Mario Bros 3

#39 Posted by Flubbbs (2833 posts) -

Super Mario World

#40 Edited by nini200 (9383 posts) -

Super Metroid by a mile.

#41 Posted by Ballroompirate (21719 posts) -
#42 Posted by GreySeal9 (23943 posts) -

This is the one instance in which everybody, except for Sniper that is, has awesome choices.

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (54485 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Not a Nintendo game.

it is. it was on SNES

Are. You. Fucking. Daft?

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (54485 posts) -

Sorry Mems, I'm gonna have to remove your answer as the best one, and put SNIPER's in instead, it's too good not to highlight.

#45 Edited by inb4uall (5150 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Not a Nintendo game.

it is. it was on SNES

Are. You. Fucking. Daft?

Dat PC gaming master race tho.

#46 Posted by MonsieurX (28740 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Not a Nintendo game.

it is. it was on SNES

So,what about games on SNES,Genesis and PC?

#47 Posted by LordQuorthon (5244 posts) -

Sorry Mems, I'm gonna have to remove your answer as the best one, and put SNIPER's in instead, it's too good not to highlight.

I agree.

#48 Posted by CleanPlayer (9766 posts) -

Toss up between Super Metroid and Ocarina of Time

#49 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

Best Nintendo game is the one with Local co-op. :)

#50 Posted by charizard1605 (54485 posts) -

Best Nintendo game is the one with Local co-op. :)

So, like... all of them?