What is the best Super Smash Bros. game?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll What is the best Super Smash Bros. game? (78 votes)

Super Smash Bros (N64) 14%
Super Smash Bros Melee (GCN) 58%
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) 28%

The fourth Super Smash Bros. game is coming, and when it comes, it will hit us like a freight train. But until that time, we have three excellent games in a series that is simply like nothing else on the market. Which of them do you think is the best?

• 
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Not listing Project M separately?

Melee > PM > 64 > Brawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

Melee > Project M > 64 > Brawl

I was listing only the 'official' games. Not to undermine Project M, of course, that one really fixes the flaws with Brawl.

I'm excited for SSB4, it looks like it's taking the best of Melee and Brawl and putting it into one package.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

Melee > Project M > 64 > Brawl

I was listing only the 'official' games. Not to undermine Project M, of course, that one really fixes the flaws with Brawl.

I'm excited for SSB4, it looks like it's taking the best of Melee and Brawl and putting it into one package.

Meh, testimony from people who played it make it seem like Brawl 2.0 more than anything else, but we'll see.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Poor question. Melee slays everything.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#5 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Easily Brawl.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Melee Hands down!

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

64. Would be Melee if they had the hitstun correct, but since it makes your hits feel slippery, then 64 takes it.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

how can anyone say n64 did it even run at 30fps the game felt slow and sluggish all the time I didn't care for the series until melee when the game actually got competitive and my friends and I would play it for hours. my only problem with brawl was that the gameplay got slower and the online play was a joke

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Brawl.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Content-Brawl

Gameplay-Easily Melee

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Always was Bro64 for me. It was the only one that truly was a "brawling" game, and not a wannabe fighter. People played it for hundreds of hours because it was fun and zany, not because they wanted to perfect their moves for competitive play.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Melee by far.

It was the sole reason of owning a Gamecube. Everything else was just icing on the cake.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Definitely Melee.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Melee.

Brawl's content was better though. Melee's gameplay just outdoes it though.

Smash 64 is the benchmark for if an N64 emulator works or not. It's fun, but in smaller bursts.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Melee. Brawl just didn't have the same feel.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I called Melee being more popular than Brawl. But I won't ignore that brawl had issues. What I fear is that people will forever be stuck in the past with Melee once SSBwiiu3ds comes out, and then criticize it like hell because it didn't have the exploits that divided the core from the casual.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Melee, it actually played well.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Desmonic: weak flame bait

On topic: Melee played better because it was faster and more frenetic but @bbkkristian hit it right on the head. People's nostalgia for Melee is primarily fueled by the ability to WD and how that easily separated the competitive crowd from everyone else.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@sHaDyCuBe321: People will always bitch about the new stuff. That's the power of the internet.

But if 4 gets rid of some of the bullshit Brawl had, like tripping or the slow movement, it's already a great step ahead.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Melee is the best, but Brawl and 64 are fun. I'd say it goes Melee > Brawl > 64

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

Never been a fan so I can't say

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

There is only one great one (Melee) the other 2 are just good.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Melee, but I personally liked Brawl the best.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

All are equally terrible. Good thing PS Allstars stepped up to bring some actual fun and skill to the table.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Brawl. Lol at "competitive smash"

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#28 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Brawl has the best overall content and it's the most accessible for many people. Although technically Melee has better gameplay/ meta game, Brawl has the most content and stuff. I'm honestly going to have to say Melee ad Brawl are tied. They're both amazing games for different reasons.

Although 64 is the worst. I don't care what anybody says. It feels clunky and dated by any standard, but it feels doubly so when stacked up against Brawl and Melee.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I do always hear about how Brawl having more content is a plus, although honestly how much of that content was really worthwhile though?

-The game demos that came with Brawl were kind of a neat idea in theory, though thee fact that you could only play them for, what, a minute? What's the point? Should have just allowed players to go through a select amount of levels or something instead of giving a tiny time limit.

-Brawl had online, but it was also really horrible and not worth using.

-The Stage builder was actually not bad overall, though I do feel it has much more room for improvement. (will either version of Smash 4 actually have this now that I think about it? guess we will see).

-Brawl did allow players to save videos, which is a cool thing to add...though you could only do it if matches were shorter than a few matches, and almost all matches anyone will play would likely last much longer, which defeats the point of saving videos.

-Brawl butchered Target Practice mode and made all characters go through the same 5 generic levels

-the event mode in Brawl wasn't as fun or as memorable for me

-The SSE was my least favorite single player campaign yet. The story was stuff was kind of cool I guess but it didn't really make up for he lackluster design SSE had. I honestly would have preferred how they handled it in Melee, where every stage was actually based on something from Nintendo, and where there were actually some cool secrets.

-If you are going to make a boss rush mode, atleast don't make a final boss that can kill you in one f***king hit

While Melee had less content, the content it did have was overall more worthwhile than what Brawl offered, I feel.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

First one. I played it all the time with my brother and cousins, and it's one of the few N64 games that I can still play today without being put off by input lag. Melee, I liked a lot too, but I got tired of Brawl after about a week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@charizard1605: No Project M on there.... poll is flawed, get with the times Charizard... nobody plays nintendo classics on nintendo consoles.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

For some reason I always had more fun with SSB on the N64. Yeah it has less players and features compared to SSBM and SSBB but I always enjoyed it much more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@amazonangry said:

All are equally terrible. Good thing PS Allstars stepped up to bring some actual fun and skill to the table.

lol

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp

@DJ-Lafleur said:

I do always hear about how Brawl having more content is a plus, although honestly how much of that content was really worthwhile though?

-The game demos that came with Brawl were kind of a neat idea in theory, though thee fact that you could only play them for, what, a minute? What's the point? Should have just allowed players to go through a select amount of levels or something instead of giving a tiny time limit.

-Brawl had online, but it was also really horrible and not worth using.

-The Stage builder was actually not bad overall, though I do feel it has much more room for improvement. (will either version of Smash 4 actually have this now that I think about it? guess we will see).

-Brawl did allow players to save videos, which is a cool thing to add...though you could only do it if matches were shorter than a few matches, and almost all matches anyone will play would likely last much longer, which defeats the point of saving videos.

-Brawl butchered Target Practice mode and made all characters go through the same 5 generic levels

-the event mode in Brawl wasn't as fun or as memorable for me

-The SSE was my least favorite single player campaign yet. The story was stuff was kind of cool I guess but it didn't really make up for he lackluster design SSE had. I honestly would have preferred how they handled it in Melee, where every stage was actually based on something from Nintendo, and where there were actually some cool secrets.

-If you are going to make a boss rush mode, atleast don't make a final boss that can kill you in one f***king hit

While Melee had less content, the content it did have was overall more worthwhile than what Brawl offered, I feel.

Duh

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I'm not really a fan of smash bros. I'm going to give it another shot though with the 3DS version of the new one.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

as if there is a difference between the 3

super smash bros? more like 'button mash brah', horrible franchise

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#39 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

If I was a hardcore Smash player, I'd probably say Melee, but as a casual player of the franchise, I'm gonna go with Brawl.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

project m because of this song

Loading Video...

But man, CEO this weekend has been Smash left and right (brawl, melee, project m). I have a Smash overdose. Every time I tune in for some Persona, KOF, SF or Marvel action they are playing fucking Smash for hours. -__-

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
delete-EasyComeEasyGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By delete-EasyComeEasyGo
Member since 2011 • 382 Posts

@charizard1605 I voted Super Smash Bros. Melee.

While I can't speak for others, but to me, Melee was a well balance SSB game to date. I still have my old Gamecube just to play Melee but the thing is, Melee had some of the best characters to date like Mewtwo who is still love to this day, I use Mewtwo the most back then and he was unique at best. Brawl had the right characters but the worst balancing system. The only good thing about Brawl was the fact it include Sonic only because of that April's Fool Joke that happen years ago when everybody thought Sonic was a secret character in Melee. Brawl was alright, just not as good as Melee. The first SSB pretty much came out late during the N64 end but at least it end with the 20th Century game.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Melee because it doesn't have tripping.

the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts

Melee was the best y'all

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp

@GreySeal9 said:

If I was a hardcore Smash player, I'd probably say Melee, but as a casual player of the franchise, I'm gonna go with Brawl.

So here's my question. Why does everyone assume that Melee's advantages don't translate to the average player as well?

Everyone comes into this like "only the competitive" scene can appreciate the dropoff from Melee, but that's not really true. If you fundamentally want the better fighting engine, there is little shit about the gameplay that melee flat out did better. The fact that everyone is floaty in brawl is an inherently slower game, and compromises a lot of the matchups in that game, more importantly it's why Metaknight is such a top tier character in that game. When you throw something in that is random and unnecessary like tripping, or the stage designs that got too trigger happy with environmental hazards (I'm not a final destination guy, but I like some balance between the crazy Zebus levels, and Mute city with stuff like the game and watch stage or the pokemon stadium which isn't that insane, or Hyrule Temple, which is just a cool spot to fight, etc).

Let's completely ignore all the glitches that made Melee a "deeper" fighter, it's the moment to moment mechanics of Melee that are flat out better because it's faster and more consistent top to bottom. Plus event mode was way better, and addition by subtraction when it comes to the SP in these games. The story mode is meh in Melee. It's fucking boring in Brawl.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@GreySeal9 said:

So here's my question. Why does everyone assume that Melee's advantages don't translate to the average player as well?

Everyone comes into this like "only the competitive" scene can appreciate the dropoff from Melee, but that's not really true. If you fundamentally want the better fighting engine, there is little shit about the gameplay that melee flat out did better. The fact that everyone is floaty in brawl is an inherently slower game, and compromises a lot of the matchups in that game, more importantly it's why Metaknight is such a top tier character in that game. When you throw something in that is random and unnecessary like tripping, or the stage designs that got too trigger happy with environmental hazards (I'm not a final destination guy, but I like some balance between the crazy Zebus levels, and Mute city with stuff like the game and watch stage or the pokemon stadium which isn't that insane, or Hyrule Temple, which is just a cool spot to fight, etc).

Let's completely ignore all the glitches that made Melee a "deeper" fighter, it's the moment to moment mechanics of Melee that are flat out better because it's faster and more consistent top to bottom. Plus event mode was way better, and addition by subtraction when it comes to the SP in these games. The story mode is meh in Melee. It's fucking boring in Brawl.

I'm not saying that the advantages don't translate to the average player. I'm just saying that I don't really care about the mechanics that much (Brawl plays fine to me). I pretty much only play SSB occasionally with my brother for kicks and we like all the stages and characters that are packed into Brawl.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

Project M is the only true answer to this; it's not just the best smash game but the best fighting game.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

The one and only Project M. I'll be buying Smash 4 but something tells me I'll still be playing Project M at the end of the year.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm just going to say that Project M is clearly the strongest, but of the official games, it's Melee. It may just be one of the best fighting games ever made by accident. The speed and dexterity required to play at the highest levels is just insane.

P.S. I hope nobody seriously enjoyed PASBR more than any Smash game... that's just far too hard to swallow. Smash bros. works on so many levels in so many ways. PASBR barely works on a single level. The Trials were fun though.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Melee

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#50 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I liked a lot of what came into Brawl, but I've gotta say Melee is the better game. Nostalgia clouding my judgment or not, Melee takes it.