What is the best phone game you have ever played?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (55582 posts) -

Like it or not, phone games are a thing. They're here, they're a part of the gaming ecosystem, and though they have not (and will not) kill off handhelds or consoles, they're going to continue to do their own little thing.

There's so many phones out there, spanning pretty much everything possible- from low budget microtransaction laden F2P 'games' to full fledged original AAA experiences developed exclusively for phones, and everything in between, including ports and companion games of major titles.

But which is the best phone game you have ever played? And why?

Oh, and bonus points if you name a title that was natively made for phones, as opposed to a game that is a port of an existing PC/console/handheld game (so try not to name stuff like GTA, The World Ends With You, and so on).

Anyway, my favorite phone game is Game Dev Story. I don't know how many of you have actually played or heard of the game, but it's pretty incredible, and addictive as crack- you take charge of a startup game company, you make games for various platforms, you see your corporation grow, until by the end, you are an industry behemoth, with your own hardware and a stable of AAA franchises. When I first started playing Game Dev Story, I got so hooked that I honestly think it's the reason my iPod Touch's battery died off as soon as it did.

What is the best phone game you have ever played?

#2 Edited by bbkkristian (14917 posts) -

Final Fantasy Dimensions... You know, that FFV style game that should have been on 3DS/Vita?

#3 Posted by Slashkice (13016 posts) -

Words With Friends > *

I've hardly played any phone games.

#4 Posted by caseypayne69 (5386 posts) -

The Simpsons Tapped Out, Infinity Blade, plants vs zombies

#5 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11522 posts) -

Jetpack Joyride, iOS GOAT of all time.

#6 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

Here are a few.

1. Symphony of Eternity

2. Plants vs Zombies

3. Jelly Defense

4. Great Little/Big War Game

5. Eve of the Genesis

#7 Posted by Ghost120x (3691 posts) -

None. I did try a gba emulator once to play Aria of Sorrow but the games were laggy as shit, and after that I just use my phone for going on the internet, making calls and checking email.

#8 Posted by SolidTy (42131 posts) -

I'm not a...

phonie.

One of my old joke names, but let me explain. If I'm going to game, I go all the way...so really nothing on my smartphones. I use the GPS, and other apps like gas deals.

Some chess app game once but after I kicked my brothers ass, never again.

I just feel that I have some AAA blockbuster games in my backlog that deserve my attention more than some clunky phonie games.

#9 Edited by stuff238 (611 posts) -

Angry Birds I guess. I don't play phone games.

#10 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Snake.

#11 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

Plants vs zombies that was back when it wasn't put on everything else

#12 Posted by CRUSHER88 (1150 posts) -

Brick Breaker. Yeeeee

#13 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

The Room, The Room 2, and Ridiculous Fishing

#14 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Surprised nobody has said Candy Crush.....

#15 Edited by darkspineslayer (19483 posts) -

The Christian Whitehead Sonic ports. Also in the running, TWEWY Solo mix, World of goo and punch out with swords 2.

#16 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

All I ever play on my phone is sudoku and emulated games.

#17 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

@Slashkice: Stair Dismount. Because throwing ragdolls off of stuff is awesome.

#18 Posted by Netret0120 (2001 posts) -

SNAKE!!! On the Nokia 3310:-)

Then Angry Birds of course.

#19 Posted by _Matt_ (8840 posts) -

Plants vs zombies 2. Really fun game, though the micro transactions piss me off

#20 Posted by Bigboi500 (29145 posts) -

Tetris.

#21 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17028 posts) -

snake

#22 Posted by Telekill (4339 posts) -

I'm going with Jurassic Park Builder and Hungry Shark.

#23 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

I like short puzzle games on my phone. They are quick and short, great when going to the bathroom.

Around the world in 80 days

Zig Zag Zombies

Solitaire

and because of my religion views, I like the greek mythology quiz game

#24 Edited by gameofthering (10095 posts) -

Snake

#25 Posted by osan0 (12597 posts) -

Angry birds and solitaire.

#26 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6067 posts) -

Best phone game ever played? Resogun.

#27 Edited by McStrongfast (4262 posts) -

Only played it for about 15 seconds so far, but Year Walk's likely better than anything else I've played on a mobile device.
1. It's supposed to be actually good.
2. Other games I've played include Angry Birds Space, some Monopoly game, some poker game, some cruddy old phone games, Snake.

Generally apprehensive to the idea of playing games on this tiny 3.5" screen. If it was at least twice that I'd might be more inclined.

#28 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

I have tried many and the only ones I liked were those from Kairosoft. Yeah game dev story is one of their games. No idea why they don't make a PC version too, I would have liked dungeon village full screen on my monitor.

#29 Posted by enzyme36 (1452 posts) -

I am really enjoying Final Fantasy 4 and Terraria on the go. I own the games on other platforms, but they are perfect pick-up and grind away games for the phone.

#30 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2305 posts) -

I don't play mobile crap.

#31 Posted by Liquid_ (2364 posts) -

Defender of texel and my PS1 emulator

#32 Posted by Animal-Mother (26420 posts) -

Where's my water is really good and addicting

#33 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1141 posts) -

The original snake game.

#34 Posted by jg4xchamp (47079 posts) -

Words With Friends aka Make up words with people who used to be your friends

#35 Posted by TheEroica (13241 posts) -

Honestly, i was addicted to Paradise Island for a good solid year +... Probably dumped a couple hundred hours into arranging my town and hitting goals. Then I upgraded my device and came to the realization that Paradise Island only locks to your device and must be started from scratch. Yeah... fuck that.

#36 Posted by jg4xchamp (47079 posts) -
#37 Edited by foxhound_fox (87377 posts) -

Mirror's Edge (best running game on any mobile platform) and Hill Climb Racing (best platformer on any mobile platform, period).

The former I had no problem shelling out $2.99 for. I played the demo and was like "yep, I'm buying this". It's the first and only mobile game or app I've ever paid for. And I think it's Windows Phone only.

#38 Edited by j2zon2591 (2238 posts) -

Dead Trigger 1 and 2.. I only played for a few hours tho.. it's so simple and addicting. Very easy to pick up and drop.

There's many more games I want to try tho but too bad I don't have my own smartphone.

#39 Posted by PAL360 (26652 posts) -

Where is my water and World of Goo

#40 Posted by idill23 (1064 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Plants vs zombies 2. Really fun game, though the micro transactions piss me off

Same here.

#41 Posted by TheEroica (13241 posts) -

Mirror's Edge (best running game on any mobile platform) and Hill Climb Racing (best platformer on any mobile platform, period).

The former I had no problem shelling out $2.99 for. I played the demo and was like "yep, I'm buying this". It's the first and only mobile game or app I've ever paid for. And I think it's Windows Phone only.

Hill Climb is legit fun... never played ME on mobile. Try Vector sometime... another really fun game.

#42 Edited by LustForSoul (5839 posts) -

In no particular order: Infinity Blade, Game Dev Story and The Room.

#43 Posted by 2Chalupas (5001 posts) -

Honestly, mobile gaming will probably replace "handheld" gaming relatively soon.

Hardware wise, there is literally no logical reason at all to having a dedicated handheld. If you are on the go, you have your phone with you and that is generally more than "good enough". If you are at home... why the f$%^^ play on a 4" screen? Makes no sense.

Having just got an IPAD for the first time, and also starting to explore more games with my phone. I almost see the Vita and 3DS XL that I bought as unnecessary. Will I still play them a little bit? Probably. But I will bet that most of the playing I do will be at home, not on the go as the systems were intended for. And I will basically be playing them only to justify my purchase, although there are certainly some games worth playing... for the most part it is pretty damn stupid to play games on a 4" screen when you have a 55" screen right in front of you.

#44 Posted by foxhound_fox (87377 posts) -

Hill Climb is legit fun... never played ME on mobile. Try Vector sometime... another really fun game.

Hill Climb is an exercise in minimalist perfection of game design. Two buttons of input with incredible precision, that is unfathomable on a mobile platform.

I downloaded Vector and played it once but then lost my phone the day later. I now have a Windows Phone and it's not out yet (HCR just came out a couple weeks ago), so :(

There are some people out there who seem to grasp what is required to make a fun, lasting game on the mobile/touch platform. It's a shame they represent a fraction of a percent of the available media out there.

#45 Posted by foxhound_fox (87377 posts) -

Honestly, mobile gaming will probably replace "handheld" gaming relatively soon.

The 3DS laughs at you.

So long as buttons remain absent from mobile gaming platforms, then handheld gaming will never die.

#46 Edited by TheEroica (13241 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Hill Climb is an exercise in minimalist perfection of game design. Two buttons of input with incredible precision, that is unfathomable on a mobile platform.

I downloaded Vector and played it once but then lost my phone the day later. I now have a Windows Phone and it's not out yet (HCR just came out a couple weeks ago), so :(

There are some people out there who seem to grasp what is required to make a fun, lasting game on the mobile/touch platform. It's a shame they represent a fraction of a percent of the available media out there.

Agreed. It has just enough physics variety to keep it fresh and the controls are perfect for what it's trying to do. Challenging yet very approachable.

and yeah, unfortunately the windows store is severely lacking on many fronts, but I'd imagine it'll fill in over time. It does have some quality titles on the game store however.

I've found my favorite mobile games are the ones that engage me quick and when I fail, make me feel like it was my fault... Games like HCR stand out.

#47 Posted by blackace (20061 posts) -

@charizard1605: Super Stickman Golf & Candy Crush right now. That's about the only good games I have on my phone. I rarely play these games on my phone.

#48 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

So many AAA phone games:

Words with Friends

Super Hexagon

Jetpack Joyride

Temple Run (and to an extent the sequel)

The Room (Though best experienced on a tablet)

Device 6 and Year Walk

Infinity Blade

Plants Vs Zombies (Fuck the sequel)

I've probably put the most time into Temple Run. Amazing game.

#49 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24624 posts) -

define "Phone".

#50 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

define "Phone".

A device which serves the primary function of making phone calls/sending and receiving text messages. While there are many phones these days that perform other functions as well (such as video games, which is why this thread exists), it has to have making phone calls as its primary purpose to qualify as a "phone".