What is the best FPS of all time?

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Single Player - Half-Life 2 and its episodes Multiplayer - Team Fortress 2
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]TimeSplitters is the best pure shooter franchise I've ever played.Hexagon_777

That too! I want a new TimeSplitters damn it.

Already in the works for next-gen systems and PC, just a rumor for now though but sounds very reliable.

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
..I almost forgot, BIOSHOCK! Yeah, Bioshock is probably the best FPS of all time.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]TimeSplitters is the best pure shooter franchise I've ever played.Spartan070

That too! I want a new TimeSplitters damn it.

Already in the works for next-gen systems and PC, just a rumor for now though but sounds very reliable.

Next gen system being the Wii U, Xbox 720, and PlayStation 4, right? People don't still call the this generation the next generation, I hope...Anyway, I want it for the PC, but will my GTX 570 suffice?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#55 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Quake III Arena is the best FPS of all time.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

You have the Killzone series as a choice and not the Half Life series?:roll:

Best FPS is Half Life 2. Best series is Half Life.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Spartan070

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

Hexagon_777

Next gen system being the Wii U, Xbox 720, and PlayStation 4, right? People don't still call the this generation the next generation, I hope...Anyway, I want it for the PC, but will my GTX 570 suffice?

That card should be just fine, rumor has it that it's being produced on the latest CryEngine though, "3.5"...

...and yes, 720 and PS4 apparently. :)

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
CS, definitely. Killzone?! Dafuq.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

COD.... just because of COD4 :D

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Lol @ Halo a console FPS. Too many noobs voting.
Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts

Lol @ Halo a console FPS. Too many noobs voting.kuraimen

I wasn't CPL or even CAL-I or anything but I was a CAL-O member of a decent team and played CS:S competitively and was nowhere near the top level. However I do consider myself to be a competitive FPS and fighting game player (top 100 in fight night champion, was top 10 Mortal kombat Deception, top 400 in MK2 on PSN, etc).

To say Halo is a "noob" game is ignorant. It is an MLG sponsored game and has been for years. People make a living on it just like CS players do. Halo is not an easy game to master. You play even against good 30s-40s level players and you will get rolled. I think Halo is THE definitive FPS from a competitive standpoint on consoles. Hands Down.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

Spartan070

That card should be just fine, rumor has it that it's being produced on the latest CryEngine though, "3.5"...

First you say it should be fine and then say it's being produced on CryEngine 3.5...:(

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Lol @ Halo a console FPS. Too many noobs voting.Dave_NBF

I wasn't CPL or even CAL-I or anything but I was a CAL-O member of a decent team and played CS:S competitively and was nowhere near the top level. However I do consider myself to be a competitive FPS and fighting game player (top 100 in fight night champion, was top 10 Mortal kombat Deception, top 400 in MK2 on PSN, etc).

To say Halo is a "noob" game is ignorant. It is an MLG sponsored game and has been for years. People make a living on it just like CS players do. Halo is not an easy game to master. You play even against good 30s-40s level players and you will get rolled. I think Halo is THE definitive FPS from a competitive standpoint on consoles. Hands Down.

No game is easy to master but some are easier than others. I bet mastering Killzone is more difficult than mastering Halo.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
Halo wins for one great reason. That ranking system. Man 1-50 was such a good ranking system. Win = rank up Lose = stay the same or rank down. So awesome. When you got into high levels everyone wanted to win and the games were so intense.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

CoD and KZ over Quake and Unreal Tournament?

:lol: TC done goof'd.

Would be UT for me.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Spartan070

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Next gen system being the Wii U, Xbox 720, and PlayStation 4, right? People don't still call the this generation the next generation, I hope...Anyway, I want it for the PC, but will my GTX 570 suffice?

Hexagon_777

First you say it should be fine and then say it's being produced on CryEngine 3.5...:(

:lol: True well I guess it depends on what the rest of your system is made of but that card, with the proper pieces around, it should run that game. You should note though, I am NOT the authority here on modern PC tech. :P

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Why the hell is Killzone and Call of Duty on that list?

It should be Battlefield, Half Life, Stalker, or Crysis. Why put mediocre FPS games on the list?

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Spartan070

Why the hell is Killzone, Call of Duty and Doom on that list?

It should be Battlefield, Half Life, Stalker, or Crysis. Why put mediocre FPS games on the list?

DragonfireXZ95

TC said he was trying to distribute evenly between the systems. HL and CS both up there? Nah.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

Spartan070

TC said he was trying to distribute evenly between the systems. HL and CS both up there? Nah.

Why would you distribute evenly between systems? What's the point? If 1 system has all of the best FPS games, then that's the way it is.
AndersK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 AndersK
Member since 2005 • 396 Posts

Counter-Strike overall, no question about it. Chances are if you are a gamer and you are 20+ years old, you have spend time with that game. Go back 8-10 years, and that game was an epidemic. It was everything people played, even the guys that would normally not play FPS games would play it. The game is so big, and had such an impact, that it is still the most played game on Steam, and have countless professional e-sport teams around the world competing for cash prices. The same can not be said for Halo. Granted i have completed the first 2 of the games, i never delved into multiplayer, as i come from a PC background, and would never settle for the clunky controls of a gamepad.

Halo really never did anything new, and Halo is, atleast in my opinion a completely average shooter. Slightly above average at best, if you compare the PC version to the rest of the library of the time. The only reason Halo got so popular, was quite honestly because it was the only good FPS game on a console, since GoldenEye for the N64.

Also what is up with some of the answers people have? CoD4? Killzone?? Granted, good games in their own right, but come on, we are talking best of all time here. Noone with a long histor of FPS games would ever mention any of those games. Actually they probably wouldnt even mention any game made after 2003.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#72 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

Halo Reach

Half Life 2

Killzone 2

MW2

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Spartan070

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

DragonfireXZ95

Why would you distribute evenly between systems? What's the point? If 1 system has all of the best FPS games, then that's the way it is.

Can't argue with that, everything you named is undeniably, imo, far better than KZ.

AndersK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 AndersK
Member since 2005 • 396 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Lol @ Halo a console FPS. Too many noobs voting.Dave_NBF

I agree with what you said, but the keyword is MLG.

MLG is the only tournament that takes console gaming serious, and as such Halo will never be big outside of the US. Not in the same sense as Quake, CS and StarCraft is.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#75 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

You have Killzone and Counterstrike but no Half Life? :? From that list, Halo, easily.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 kuraimen
Lol @ people saying KZ shouldn't be there and then choosing Halo. Competitive-wise KZ can be as challenging as Halo or more. Popularity =/= better
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Spartan070
Lol @ people saying KZ shouldn't be there and then choosing Halo. Competitive-wise KZ can be as challenging as Halo or more. Popularity =/= betterkuraimen
Who's basing it off popularity? If that were the case COD would be owning
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Modern Warfare 3.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Lol @ people saying KZ shouldn't be there and then choosing Halo. Competitive-wise KZ can be as challenging as Halo or more. Popularity =/= betterSpartan070
Who's basing it off popularity? If that were the case COD would be owning

The people dismissing KZ and choosing Halo. Both are similar console FPS and yet KZ is laughable and Halo is not? give me a break, competitive-wise they can be quite comparable. People just dismiss KZ because it is not overhyped like Halo.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Fallout 3.

MLBknights58

What? Fallout 3 has terrible shooting aspects, its a great rpg but as an FPS alone?

Does it have terrible shooting aspects or do you just suck at it? :o

It has terrible shooting gameplay. That's a fact. It's why they had the VATS system in place, because the game would have been unplayable without it.

Best FPS of all time is Goldeneye. It's still fun today if you get four people together.

This gen, Resistance 2 takes the cake.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#81 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

If Metroid Prime counts, I'd pick that

XEviscerateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 XEviscerateX
Member since 2005 • 1130 Posts
Single Game-Half life 2 Franchise-Counter strike
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
Far Cry with huge user created levels
Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts

[QUOTE="Dave_NBF"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Lol @ Halo a console FPS. Too many noobs voting.AndersK

I agree with what you said, but the keyword is MLG.

MLG is the only tournament that takes console gaming serious, and as such Halo will never be big outside of the US. Not in the same sense as Quake, CS and StarCraft is.

I agree with you. However I was just trying to give each system a shot. Honestly Halo is very competitive though. The ranking system was perfect and it's deeper than other shooters due to the competitive setup. It's legit. And I'm diehard CS/l4d 2 player. You are right if I just went on my own opinion of best fps I would say CS,Halo, quake 3, Unreal 2k4, hl1,hl2, and the original Crysis. However that just opens this to a complete PC thread outside of Halo. But competition online isn't everything and that's why I put COD because of mass appeal and Zillzone is the best for PS3 and has had 3 quality games. They are technically decent and have both decent single and multiplayer. It's a fair list for everyone to debate AND add their other games. Not my fault the polls are limited. Plus this thread actually has decent answers for the most part which is good by SW standards. But yeah, CSS is my favorite shooter as I am more competitively interested in fps not story lines.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#85 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
>not including Half-Life Dude what I chose Counter-Strike of that list because it has the best, most hardcore, most competitive online gameplay of any FPS that is still played fervently.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#86 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

The poll was pretty weak (No Quake or Unreal?), I voted for Counter Strike though.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Single player - Half Life Multiplayer - Counter Strike 1.6
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Quake 1-3, Unreal, Doom 1 and 2, Hexen, Wolfenstein, Goldeneye 007, System Shock 1 and 2, Perfect Dark, Half Life 1 and 2. l Pick one.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#89 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

You have the Killzone series as a choice and not the Half Life series?:roll:

Best FPS is Half Life 2. Best series is Half Life.

KC_Hokie

Man I don't get why a game with awful ai and bad gunplay is constantly hyped up to be one of the best fps of all time.

Multiplayer: Quake 3/Live by far.

Single player: FEAR or STALKER CoP.

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

Call of Duty all the way!!

the best FPS of this generation with the best online gaming

finalstar2007

HAHAHAHA!! I hope your joking

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Resistance for me.
youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#92 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

I should have make the last one an "other" because frankly I would have liked to put left 4 dead up there as that has been very successful with a relatively active PC community. Oh well. Obviously people can say whatever they want but the poll only includes those that I listed.

Dave_NBF

left for dead is not even a fps

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#93 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Well this is tough, Halo has done alot more for FPS genre than the others did. But I feel Halo kinda lost it's way after Halo 2 and I enjoyed COD and Killzone more than the new Halo games this gen. So it's a tie between those two for me. But all the games you listed are good.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Quake.

I mean, there's no debate. Unless you play FPS games to firefight with AI instead of players, Quake is the best.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#96 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Tribes Ascend.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Half Life for single player,Quake 3 for multi.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Spartan070

Quake.

I mean, there's no debate. Unless you play FPS games to firefight with AI instead of players, Quake is the best.

iHarlequin

I play them almost exclusively for the single player, not a huge fan of matchmaking or firefight really.

...although there are a few exceptions. :P

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

Quake.

Spartan070

I play them almost exclusively for the single player, not a huge fan of matchmaking or firefight really.

...although there are a few exceptions. :P

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. The single-player in an FPS is, to me, like the cherry on top of a cake. Nice thing to add, but it's not the essential.

I mean, I'll play it once or twice, and by the second time I'll be owning the AI so hard it won't even be fun anymore. Multiplayer guarantees that I'll always find someone that's on or above my level :p.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

Counter-strike is the only answer.