What is the best FPS of all time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

For me I would have to say Counter-strike. Though it lacked a single player campaign, it is the most competitive online shooter still to this day. Both had outstanding graphics and gameplay from release and both are still played and well-supported making it the longest lasting active online shooter with the deepest community.

Close behind is Halo. Not only did it revolutionize console FPS, it brought about a very engaging campaign and a continually refined online experience. It is the most competitive online shooter for consoles hands down.

So what about for you what is the best FPS for you and most importantly...Why? Peace.

Edit: Obviously there are many great FPS games and I should have been more specific. It might be easier to discuss online FPS. I tried to take a franchise from each system (didn't include wii because I never played an FPS on it).

Honorable mentions for best FPS: Metroid Prime, Stalker series, Bioshock. Those are more known for single player experiences but feel free to discuss any FPS that is your favorite of all time.

I think really it comes down to Halo Vs Counter-strike when discussing best "online shooter." I should have probably just made the poll that!! Oh well.

#2 Posted by Spartan070 (16380 posts) -

Single game? Half Life 2

Franchise? Halo series

FPSperspective? Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime: Echoes

Bet you guys didn't expect me to say HL2 :P

#3 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -
Killzone? lolwhat. I dont understand how its on the list But yeah, CS.
#4 Posted by finalstar2007 (25994 posts) -

Call of Duty all the way!!

the best FPS of this generation with the best online gaming

#5 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

I should have make the last one an "other" because frankly I would have liked to put left 4 dead up there as that has been very successful with a relatively active PC community. Oh well. Obviously people can say whatever they want but the poll only includes those that I listed.

#6 Posted by TH1Sx1SxSPARTA (1852 posts) -
why the fvck is killzone and cod in the poll
#7 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -

finalstar2007
*sigh*
#8 Posted by Kevz0 (550 posts) -
You have Halo, CoD and Killzone in the poll but not Quake, the f*ck is this? Anyway, I voted for Doom.
#9 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

Single game? Half Life 2 Franchise? Halo series FPS perspective? Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime: EchoesSpartan070

Wow I have always associated HL with CS and they are completely distinct but was so used to getting them with the game. Geez I feel like an idiot for leaving HL out of the equation. HL2 and it's episodes have been amazing experiences for me. I guess I should have been more specific to "online" as that seems to have been my focus.

#10 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Fallout 3.

#11 Posted by Heirren (18958 posts) -

Halo. Back when CRT televisions were still around, Halo fans were lugging these suckers in one room to play the MP aspect of the game. 4 xbox consoles, 4 tvs, and lots of cables--that screams of hardcore imo.

#12 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -

Fallout 3.

MLBknights58
What? Fallout 3 has terrible shooting aspects, its a great rpg but as an FPS alone?
#13 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10825 posts) -

Halo. Back when CRT televisions were still around, Halo fans were lugging these suckers in one room to play the MP aspect of the game. 4 xbox consoles, 4 tvs, and lots of cables--that screams of hardcore imo.

Heirren
Or you could play online like I did, :P
#14 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

You have Halo, CoD and Killzone in the poll but not Quake, the f*ck is this? Anyway, I voted for Doom.Kevz0

Well ironically I deleted Quake and put in KZ just because I know there are a lot of KZ enthusiasts on the forums. I only had KZ 2 and really could not get into it personally. Doom/Quake are 1 in the same in my book and figured people would just clarify and add what they liked. I TRIED to have a franchise for each system.

#15 Posted by Blabadon (28483 posts) -
I'm going to say Combat Evolved, but I haven't played it in a while, so I'd have to see how it aged. This generation, I've played great ones like Black Ops, Killzone 3, DX:HR, Halo 3, and some more, but they all have unique faults that give them less of a chance to be GOATs. What really good ones have I missed this generation?
#16 Posted by Heirren (18958 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

ShadowDeathX

How did you manage that? Plus, my point is that the people doing this was not uncommon.

#17 Posted by TH1Sx1SxSPARTA (1852 posts) -
stalker. bioshock, goldeneye 64, half life 2, are some of my favs, hard to pick one
#18 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

Though not really a good online game, the original FEAR on PC in 2005 was freaking amazing. The atmosphere, graphics, gameplay and enemy IQ were solid. That was a great single player experience.

I just put COD up there because there is no denying how popular the series is. People don't buy it because they don't like it. Personally, I don't as I am entrenched in competitive CS:S and appreciate Halo much better on the consoles. However, to think it hasn't had impact is not fair because it is a very popular franchise.

#19 Posted by Spartan070 (16380 posts) -

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]Single game? Half Life 2 Franchise? Halo series FPS perspective? Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime: EchoesDave_NBF

Wow I have always associated HL with CS and they are completely distinct but was so used to getting them with the game. Geez I feel like an idiot for leaving HL out of the equation. HL2 and it's episodes have been amazing experiences for me. I guess I should have been more specific to "online" as that seems to have been my focus.

I always sucked at PC FPS online play, especially when it comes to twitch shooters like UT and Quake. Only played CS 3 times but I played the hell outa some Half-Life 2.

#20 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4729 posts) -

DOOOOOOOOM!

That is the Doom Player's Creed...

#21 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Fallout 3.

kris9031998

What? Fallout 3 has terrible shooting aspects, its a great rpg but as an FPS alone?

Does it have terrible shooting aspects or do you just suck at it? :o

#22 Posted by glimpus (2306 posts) -

Goldeneye?

#23 Posted by Spartan070 (16380 posts) -
I would have to give Perfect Dark the third place spot for individual game behind Half-Life 2 and Halo 2.
#24 Posted by Snugenz (12790 posts) -

Heirren

So much fun, and it stayed fun when Halo 2 came out with Xbox Live, can't say the same for Halo 3 or Reach though :(.

Anyway, Halo: CE is probably still my favourite FPS of all time, i absolutely loved that game.

#25 Posted by sukraj (23979 posts) -

Rage

Killzone 2

Halo

#26 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dave_NBF"]

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]Single game? Half Life 2 Franchise? Halo series FPS perspective? Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime: EchoesSpartan070

I always sucked at PC FPS online play, especially when it comes to twitch shooters like UT and Quake. Only played CS 3 times but I played the hell outa some Half-Life 2.

I got into PC gaming a bit later and was mostly a console gamer up until college. However, CS:S got me into competitive gaming. I didn't kill ANYONE for the first few days. Obviously the maps and community were all from 1.6 for the most part so I had a huge disadvantage. I have played probably thousands of hours of CS:S and still use it as a great stress reliever. At the time of it's release, I couldn't believe I was playing an online shooter that was so deep. Once the learning curve is overcome, it truly becomes a very addictive experience.

I find the same or similar satisfaction with playing CS:S to Halo online. I think Halo takes the most skill and is the deepest online console shooter bar none. Bungie.net tracks stats well, you can save your matches and it is super competitive. Kinda sucked at higher level Halo 2, was really good at Halo 3 but I actually ended up enjoying Reach much better.

If it weren't for the incredibly deep and passionate online community for CS:S and the personal attachment I have to it, I would say Halo is the best overall FPS of all time (considering it's single player, it's sales, impact on console FPS and it's online competition).

#27 Posted by dracolich55 (2343 posts) -
Deus Ex (first and human revolution, screw invisible war). Best RPG AND Shooter, the best of both worlds....
#28 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -
Perfect Dark.
#29 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

KillZone should NOT be up there :lol:.

Best FPS ever is Battlefield 3/Bad Company 2 (hard to choose). Though if you want a more arcadey feel, I prefer Timesplitters 2 (I would say PD64 if it didnt suffer from poor framerates and such).

#30 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -
None. The "best" will only ever be someone's favourite.
#31 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

Goldeneye?

glimpus

Golden Eye was the best shooter on N64 and I truly think it was ahead of it's time. However, looking back on it, I don't think it aged very well and I am not a big fan of it anymore. I can still pick up and play HL1, CS 1.6 but I can't play Golden Eye. To me, it is a game that was a 9.5 when it came out and is a 6.0 to me now. Just personal opinion.

#32 Posted by Link3301 (1830 posts) -

Where the f*** is Half-life, Quake, and Unreal? Plus, why is COD on there? Why?

#33 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

Best FPS ever is Battlefield 3/Bad Company 2 (hard to choose). Though if you want a more arcadey feel, I prefer Timesplitters 2 (I would say PD64 if it didnt suffer from poor framerates and such).

NaveedLife

Not a fan of Bad Company 2. just felt it lost the feel of previous games and was more console friendly. However BF3 on PC is done right. Outside of a horrible online matchmaking setup, I think it's online is deep, competitive and damn good graphics. It's a great game and a great franchise but I think of it as a PC franchise and due to the limited amount of polling options (and bad polling specs on my part) I left it out to include something on the PS3. I don't like FPS on my PS3 and just thought KZ was "The" FPS to talk about. It appears to get a lot of hate but don't know a replacement I could have used instead for the system.

#34 Posted by Link3301 (1830 posts) -

Counter-Strike versus Halo, very hard to choose.

#35 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10825 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

How did you manage that? Plus, my point is that the people doing this was not uncommon.

PC
#36 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20095 posts) -

No Tribes? No Unreal Tournament?

#37 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

Where the f*** is Half-life, Quake, and Unreal? Plus, why is COD on there? Why?

Link3301

My logic was to try to pick something significant and also represent the systems. Again, I am not a fan of COD, but it's impact on PC/PS3/360 and it's popularity amongst EVERY system cannot be ignored. Do I love it? No. But people don't buy it by the millions because they hate it. That's why it's up there. Unreal was amazing but hasn't evolved. It died after Unreal Tourny 2004. It just died. It's lasting impact prevented me from putting it up there. Doom is up there because I have it ahead of quake in terms of impact; but I could see arguments for either side on that one for sure. peace.

#38 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

Half-Life 2 and Crysis.

#39 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -

[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Fallout 3.

MLBknights58

No, the shooting just sucked :o
#40 Posted by Dave_NBF (1974 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="kris9031998"] What? Fallout 3 has terrible shooting aspects, its a great rpg but as an FPS alone?kris9031998

No, the shooting just sucked :o

I agree. I can't rationalize Fallout 3 for any system as a sole shooter.

#41 Posted by meetroid8 (21142 posts) -
TimeSplitters is the best pure shooter franchise I've ever played.
#42 Posted by glimpus (2306 posts) -

[QUOTE="glimpus"]

Goldeneye?

Dave_NBF

Golden Eye was the best shooter on N64 and I truly think it was ahead of it's time. However, looking back on it, I don't think it aged very well and I am not a big fan of it anymore. I can still pick up and play HL1, CS 1.6 but I can't play Golden Eye. To me, it is a game that was a 9.5 when it came out and is a 6.0 to me now. Just personal opinion.

Something "not aging well" shouldn't matter. You take it for what it was, and at the time Goldeneye was revolutionary.

#43 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20095 posts) -

TimeSplitters is the best pure shooter franchise I've ever played.meetroid8
That too! I want a new TimeSplitters damn it.

#44 Posted by speedfog (3365 posts) -

None of these.

Wolfenstein and Quake are the best :P.

I will pick COD for cod1, cod2 and modern warfare.

#45 Posted by Wasdie (50642 posts) -

The single best? There is no real way to do figure that out. To many factors, to many opinions.

Some of the best would probably include the Doom Series, Quake series, Half-Life series, Halo series, Unreal Tournament series, and the Counterstrike series.

There are also dozens of others can people would probably nominate.

#46 Posted by jakarai (4289 posts) -
Call of duty 4. To bad we will never see a game like this from IW ever again.
#47 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Dave_NBF

Not a fan of Bad Company 2. just felt it lost the feel of previous games and was more console friendly. However BF3 on PC is done right. Outside of a horrible online matchmaking setup, I think it's online is deep, competitive and damn good graphics. It's a great game and a great franchise but I think of it as a PC franchise and due to the limited amount of polling options (and bad polling specs on my part) I left it out to include something on the PS3. I don't like FPS on my PS3 and just thought KZ was "The" FPS to talk about. It appears to get a lot of hate but don't know a replacement I could have used instead for the system.

I only played 2142 prior to this gen (and loved it), and I personally loved BC2. I think overall (SP, MP, menus, ect) it is a better game than BF3, though BF3 does a lot really well in MP (where it matters for BF), but still I felt a bit more amazed by BC2 for some reason. Good times in both games though :).

#48 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Personally Halo. It's also my favorite franchise as well.

#49 Posted by Crazyguy105 (9513 posts) -

finalstar2007

Jesus christ.

Quake.

#50 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Any of Valve's efforts are worthy of a mention.

Halo franchise