What is the best Call of Duty game of all time?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by charizard1605 (52527 posts) 1 month, 27 days ago

What is the best Call of Duty game of all time? (55 votes)

Call of Duty 15%
Call of Duty 2 15%
Call of Duty 3 0%
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 38%
Call of Duty: World at War 5%
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 7%
Call of Duty: Black Ops 13%
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 2%
Call of Duty: Black Ops II 5%
Call of Duty: Ghosts 0%

Yes, it's a milked series, and yes, Ghosts sucked, but on the whole, Call of Duty games are well made, not very glitchy, and fun to play, especially with friends.

Which one has been your absolute favorite?

Mine was Black Ops. This is where Call of Duty peaks. An incredible singleplayer campaign with a mindfuck of a story, and some insanely fun missions, and the best multiplayer mode in the series, along with the best general setting... man, Black Ops was an amazing game. Pity we're never getting anything else like it ever again.

#1 Posted by Consternated (465 posts) -

I voted 2, but could have easily voted for any of the first 4... Yes, I really enjoyed 3!

#2 Posted by inb4uall (4155 posts) -

Favorite is black ops 2, best is black ops looking at it objectively.

I don't like the vietnam era weapons and maps though.

#3 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (2525 posts) -

Best I've played so far was Modern Warfare 3. Several more I still need to play.

#4 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17545 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 is the only right answer

THE ONLY RIGHT ANSWER

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (52527 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 is the only right answer

THE ONLY RIGHT ANSWER

You are wrong

#6 Posted by foxhound_fox (85229 posts) -

United Offensive

By a large margin.

Ripping off Battlefield made the game extraordinary.

#7 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17545 posts) -

name me something that the other games did BETTER than COD4

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (52527 posts) -

Black Ops.

Better story. More fun. Better balanced multiplayer. Better maps. Zombie mode.

Checkmate.

#9 Edited by silversix_ (12531 posts) -

Of course the original CoD. how is this even a question? the game was solid for the GC days. CoD2 was above average. every single cod released after the 2nd were LOL and that of course includes MW1.

#10 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (639 posts) -

Call of Duty 1, hands down. When it came out on PC in 2003 it was one of a kind. Sure there had been WWII shooters before but nothing like this had been seen. Fantastic gameplay, gritty atmosphere that really pulled you into the war unlike any game before it, and terrific multiplayer that laid the foundation for many iterations to come. The original. The best. Many of you probably never experienced it but at the time it was second to none and still holds it's own today.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (52527 posts) -

Call of Duty 1, hands down. When it came out on PC in 2003 it was one of a kind. Sure there had been WWII shooters before but nothing like this had been seen. Fantastic gameplay, gritty atmosphere that really pulled you into the war unlike any game before it, and terrific multiplayer that laid the foundation for many iterations to come. The original. The best. Many of you probably never experienced it but at the time it was second to none and still holds it's own today.

Played it.

Allied Assault was much better. Frontline was even better.

#12 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17545 posts) -

@mrmusicman247 said:

Black Ops.

Checkmate.

better story?

are you high? yes the TWIST in black ops story was nice but that doesn't mean the story was great. the single player campaign as a whole was better on COD4

and how can you even argue BETTER balanced multi when all multi AFTER COD4 was unbalanced to sh*t? Maps eh. the only bad map in COD4 was overgrown.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (52527 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@mrmusicman247 said:

Black Ops.

Checkmate.

better story?

are you high? yes the TWIST in black ops story was nice but that doesn't mean the story was great. the single player campaign as a whole was better on COD4

and how can you even argue BETTER balanced multi when all multi AFTER COD4 was unbalanced to sh*t? Maps eh. the only bad map in COD4 was overgrown.

Black Ops was not unbalanced at all. Your statement of unbalanced gameplay in CoD post MW holds true only for the Infinity Ward games.

And yes, Black Ops had the better story, though I must claim bias, as I absolutely love that era of history, so I am a sucker for anything that deals with that.

And sure, MW had good maps. But Black Ops had great maps.

#14 Edited by lostrib (26062 posts) -

Tough choice between COD 1, 2, and 4

#15 Posted by lostrib (26062 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@mrmusicman247 said:

Black Ops.

Checkmate.

better story?

Did anyone not see the "twist" coming?

#16 Edited by charizard1605 (52527 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@mrmusicman247 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mrmusicman247 said:

Black Ops.

Checkmate.

better story?

Kind of really hard to see the entire thing coming. I mean sure, you can guess parts of it, but the full thing?

Nah.

#17 Posted by Consternated (465 posts) -

Class based > Unlock based

#18 Posted by Couth_ (9664 posts) -

Not caring for any of the capaigns - CoD4 eeeaaaaaaasy

#19 Posted by funsohng (27456 posts) -

Modern Warfare 2 is a game directed by Michael Bay and written by M Night Shyamalan.
Explosions and shitty plot twists galore.

#20 Edited by foxhound_fox (85229 posts) -

United Offensive had better, more epic SP battle sequences.

The multiplayer had vehicles (I think it's the only one that did).

It was set in WWII which had weapons that were more balanced and required more skill to use.

#21 Posted by lostrib (26062 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@mrmusicman247 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mrmusicman247 said:

Black Ops.

Checkmate.

better story?

Kind of really hard to see the entire thing coming. I mean sure, you can guess parts of it, but the full thing?

Nah.

From what I remember, the twist is that you are Tyler Durden.

Both Black Ops campaigns were rather boring

#22 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17545 posts) -
#23 Posted by starwolf474 (271 posts) -

Black Ops 2

#24 Edited by k2theswiss (16213 posts) -

cod4 ~its was new, killstreaks didn't feel too over powering, guns seemed somewhat balanced

mw2~ was complete joke duel shotguns long range, glitches every wear

mw3 ~ was somewhat good but over powered kill streaks IMO, i loved spec ops

~WoW~ what joke all around...

~blk ops ~ mha didn't like the feel of it

~ blk 2 it was alright for what it is

~ghost~ seems like a solid game and took a step back going back being more of FPS vs kill streak fest or OP perks which is a plus to me. I hate the downgrade in spec ops though (safeguard). aliens is a bore fest and doesn't begin to even match zombies.

it comes down to cod4 or ghost IMO

~

I know cod better get their butts in gear because in 2 years when titanfall 2 comes out on ps4 and way more people know about it. IF they choose to release it in the fall they going to have a real challenge. Activision is going to be really disappointed in sales...

#25 Posted by foxhound_fox (85229 posts) -

Not a lot of people saying the first game or it's expansion.

Makes me wonder how many actually played it.

#26 Posted by lostrib (26062 posts) -

No one wants to play that shitty XBLA game

#27 Posted by foxhound_fox (85229 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@foxhound_fox said:

No one wants to play that shitty XBLA game

#28 Posted by with_teeth26 (5843 posts) -

Call of Duty 2 for singleplayer, Call of Duty World at War for multiplayer. Cod 1 and 4 are also great.

#29 Posted by _Matt_ (8324 posts) -

Black Ops by a long way.

Though I have found in general

Treyarch CoD titles >>>> Infinity Ward CoD titles

#30 Posted by _Matt_ (8324 posts) -

@Consternated:

I really enjoyed CoD 3 as well, I think it was criminally underrated, especially for it's tiny development time.

#31 Posted by CrownKingArthur (1932 posts) -
#32 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42231 posts) -

COD4 will always remain my favorite.

#33 Edited by funsohng (27456 posts) -

I do have to agree, the first two Stalingrad levels were absolute blow to my head. Didn't know such a thing was possible in gaming. (Chaz mentions MoHAA up there, but really, MoHAA's Omaha was way too limited (Frontline did better), and most of the MoHAA's levels never felt like you were part of something bigger like CoD1)

#34 Edited by _Matt_ (8324 posts) -

@mrmusicman247 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mrmusicman247 said:

Black Ops.

Checkmate.

better story?

Black Ops was not unbalanced at all. Your statement of unbalanced gameplay in CoD post MW holds true only for the Infinity Ward games.

And yes, Black Ops had the better story, though I must claim bias, as I absolutely love that era of history, so I am a sucker for anything that deals with that.

And sure, MW had good maps. But Black Ops had great maps.

While I agree that BO outclasses the MW titles; your statement about balance doesn't hold true.

World at War had terrible balance... The MP40 in that could outshoot a rifle at range, and a shotgun close up; it was way too powerful. Aside from that the rest of the weapons in the rest of the Treyarch games were balanced, just the MP40 bothered me greatly.

#35 Posted by yokofox33 (28397 posts) -

Call of Duty 2 for the 360 was the best. I was deadly with that Kar98k.

#36 Edited by bfmv2007 (268 posts) -

COD4 as a whole. 2nd place goes to WaW. Best multiplayer goes to WaW as well.

#37 Posted by foxhound_fox (85229 posts) -

@funsohng said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I do have to agree, the first two Stalingrad levels were absolute blow to my head. Didn't know such a thing was possible in gaming. (Chaz mentions MoHAA up there, but really, MoHAA's Omaha was way too limited (Frontline did better), and most of the MoHAA's levels never felt like you were part of something bigger like CoD1)

Allied Assault was an excellent game, but Call of Duty came along and rewrote the book on WWII shooters. From start to finish. I played both when they first came out and CoD was a fucking masterpiece at the time. It was (as you said) mindblowing compared to AA.

I can't count how many times I replayed the Russian campaign. It was absolutely wonderful.

And then there was the MP. Oh lordy.

Day of Defeat won the contest overall (in terms of balance and strategic/teamplay), but CoD and especially UO were easily the most fun.

#39 Edited by XboxStache (852 posts) -

Big Red One also wasn't mentioned even though I sort of dug it until Moh- european assault spanked it.

#40 Posted by funsohng (27456 posts) -

@funsohng said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Allied Assault was an excellent game, but Call of Duty came along and rewrote the book on WWII shooters. From start to finish. I played both when they first came out and CoD was a fucking masterpiece at the time. It was (as you said) mindblowing compared to AA.

I can't count how many times I replayed the Russian campaign. It was absolutely wonderful.

And then there was the MP. Oh lordy.

Day of Defeat won the contest overall (in terms of balance and strategic/teamplay), but CoD and especially UO were easily the most fun.

idk, MP is pretty standard in CoD1

UO, on the other hand.... different beast entirely.

Also, AA was pretty good yeah. But I felt the second mission was really best (one with dressing up as a German and fake passport to infiltrate a submarine)

However, as far as the best WW2 campaigns go, I think I enjoyed W@W and Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway the most.
Gearbox should really make a sequel to Hell's Highway (especially after how they ended it with "To Be Continued") instead of all the excessive DLCs for Borderlands and Borderlands 1.5

#41 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (5567 posts) -

COD4 is the best one on the PC. On consoles I would say the 1st Blackops.

#42 Posted by funsohng (27456 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Big Red One also wasn't mentioned even though I sort of dug it until Moh- european assault spanked it.

Also liked Big Red One as well.

#43 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13922 posts) -

Either the first one on PC or COD4

Personally 4 was my favorite. Best maps in the series.

#44 Posted by Sweenix (5069 posts) -

Modern warfare 2

#45 Posted by wis3boi (30257 posts) -

CoD1/UO or go home

#46 Posted by XboxStache (852 posts) -

@funsohng said:

@XboxStache said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Also liked Big Red One as well.

Yeah. The opening level with the huge fight and that disorienting explosion was the beginning of when COD got really great at storytelling. In most ways I preferred CODbro over COD2 and 3.

#47 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4235 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 was by far the best of the series. Everything went to shit and rehashing after that.

#48 Posted by jg4xchamp (45940 posts) -
  1. Call of Duty
  2. Call of Duty 4
  3. Call of Duty: United Offens

Fuck the rest.

#49 Edited by PyratRum (411 posts) -

It's a toss up between United Offensive and Black Ops for me.

While I will admit that I've enjoyed Infinity Ward's campaigns better, United Offensive and Black Ops had fucking fantastic multiplayer on top of a great campaign. United Offensive's defense of Noville and the daylight B-17 missions are two of my all time favorite FPS levels.

Hell, I still fire up Black Ops on my 360 from time to time for a few CTF, DOM, and S&D matches.

Edit: @charizard1605
Just realized that you don't even have United Offensive on the poll. Shame on you.

#50 Posted by limpbizkit818 (14987 posts) -

Very easy: Call of Duty 2