What is the appeal of Quantum Break?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Sony gets bashed for creating story games, but then this game gets hyped for exactly what? An episodic third person adventure featuring a TV show based on the game? Sounds like the pot calling the handle black. Wouldn't you agree, SW?

From Kotaku:

At intervals during the game, there will be something the team calls "junctions in time." At these points, you can affect the storyline depending on decisions you make in the game. The game ships with the first season of the TV show, so it'll unlock the episode that coincides with the decisions you make. Your QuantumBreak storyline will be composed in a different universe than another player's.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Most likely won't be 5 hours long though. So it's already better. Plus Remedy are great developers and i've always loved their games so yeah, that too.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Remedy has always made games that play well and some of the best/funniest parts of their games have always been the cheesy, fake tv shows. QB seems like a good opportunity for remedy to do what they do best.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Remedy has an established track record.

Still sceptical on how this TV show shit is supposed to work though. Soap opera acting ahoy.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sony gets bashed for creating story games, but then this game gets hyped for exactly what? An episodic third person adventure featuring a TV show based on the game? Sounds like the pot calling the handle black. Wouldn't you agree, SW?

From Kotaku:

At intervals during the game, there will be something the team calls "junctions in time." At these points, you can affect the storyline depending on decisions you make in the game. The game ships with the first season of the TV show, so it'll unlock the episode that coincides with the decisions you make. Your QuantumBreak storyline will be composed in a different universe than another player's.

Considering its not out yet, I have no idea. Perhaps we should wait until its releases, eh?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Remedy.

And lol at the unnecessary Sony defending

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Interesting. Had 0 interest in QB, but I didn't realise you could actually affect the game's outcome. Makes me a little interested, but can't see any way this (or any other release so far announced) makes me get an XB1.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

To me, that just sounds like episodes will unlock as you progress in the game. It's sort of worded as if you will unlock special episodes depending on the choices you make, but let's just say that I'm sceptical about that ;) It's kept deliberately vague (it coincides with the decisions as in: It releases at those points).

Edit:

I see nothing that suggest that the game is anything but a TPS with a branching storyline and silly names (Jack Joyce, Beth Wilder, Paul Serene! Very edgy and cool).

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Proven quality dev, new IP that looks and sounds very intriguing, the game play shown looks good and has TV show interaction.... nuff said.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

For one, the gameplay didn't look like shit.

Ok abit harsh on The order, but, Quantum Break, in it's very debut, with 16 minutes of gameplay, has shown more dynamic shotouts than 80% of TO's ones.

There was movement, melee attacks, enemies that moved around abit. That "boss fight" against the armored dudes was far more interesting than the Lycan fight, where all you do is "press x to dodge".

Then there's the platforming sections, which involded more player input than any on-combat situation i've seen in TO.

There's also time bending mechanics, which, if used properly, will extend the sandbox encounter design further.

Ofcourse, in typical Remedy fashion, i expect linear level design. But even then, probably more open than The Order

Plus, it says right there.

You can't affect TO's storyline.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@clone01 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

From Kotaku:

Considering its not out yet, I have no idea. Perhaps we should wait until its releases, eh?

lol

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#14 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Remedy's track record and Sam Lake's iconic writing.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

It didn't? It looked like a standard TPS with a couple powers thrown in.

The Order also looks pretty standard, but at least the shooting actually looks good in that game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@JangoWuzHere: Lol no it doesn't.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Precisely this^^. Will purchase all Remedy games until they release a bad one and then I will probably continue to buy them anyway. Sam Lake is one of the most genuine artists in the industry imo.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:

This.

And I still want another Alan Wake.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

The Order also looks pretty standard, but at least the shooting actually looks good in that game.

That's the point. It looks standart, but in a good way. Nothing new, but functional. Which is why i'm hoping those time powers can be used freely and in multiple ways, so has to extend encounter design and sandbox possibilities.

I'm not even looking forward to QB that much, exactly because it look too standart.

The Order looks standart? WTF?

There's no melee combat.

And there's no use of movement. Did you read my post? I've watched, atleast, half of the entire game, spread across different chapters and in nearly all combat areas, movement is never emphasized.

The combat arenas are always linear, in a sense that enemies don't flank you or move around you, or you do the same to them. Instead, you simply play "peek and boo" shooting galery and move up to the next cover spot further ahead.

That's all the AI does. Stand in cover, never leaving their spot, and shoot at you. And what happens when they don't get a cover spot? Well, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBIxC873l9Q&t=1m50s

QB's reveal showed use of movement, mainly with the time-stopping mechanic, causing confusion for the AI.

And like i said, this is so pronounced, that when you finally get to fight Lycans, there's no point in moving, since you can't dodge normally. Instead, you just Press X.

And you going to tell this "boss fight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eepghS5td8E&t=22m0s

looks better than this "boss fight"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-aAWXKZS9M&t=6m50s

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Sony rams movie games down your throat. Remedy is attempting something new. You get all the gameplay with a story that you have shaped and created.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I think it looks great and the idea of following a TV show with the game could be interesting.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

So the guy who gushes over TheCorridor questions QB. LOL

Theres nothing wrong with focusing on story. Theres nothing wrong with linearity. Its about balance.

From what we've all read and watched, little PSP devs Ready at Dawn get it wrong.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

You're asking what is the appeal of the next game being developed by Remedy? and they are trying a different approach, there is nothing wrong with trying to take your story driven game in a new direction (although it is reminiscent of Alan Wake in a few ways, but I enjoyed AW).

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud_imperium

@freedomfreak:

I want Alan Wake 2 every freaking day :-(

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

That's the point. It looks standart, but in a good way. Nothing new, but functional. Which is why i'm hoping those time powers can be used freely and in multiple ways, so has to extend encounter design and sandbox possibilities.

I'm not even looking forward to QB that much, exactly because it look too standart.

The Order looks standart? WTF?

There's no melee combat.

And there's no use of movement. Did you read my post? I've watched, atleast, half of the entire game, spread across different chapters and in nearly all combat areas, movement is never emphasized.

The combat arenas are always linear, in a sense that enemies don't flank you or move around you, or you do the same to them. Instead, you simply play "peek and boo" shooting galery and move up to the next cover spot further ahead.

That's all the AI does. Stand in cover, never leaving their spot, and shoot at you. And what happens when they don't get a cover spot? Well, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBIxC873l9Q&t=1m50s

QB's reveal showed use of movement, mainly with the time-stopping mechanic, causing confusion for the AI.

And like i said, this is so pronounced, that when you finally get to fight Lycans, there's no point in moving, since you can't dodge normally. Instead, you just Press X.

And you going to tell this "boss fight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eepghS5td8E&t=22m0s

looks better than this "boss fight"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-aAWXKZS9M&t=6m50s

Why are you saying "standart"?

All I said was that QB looks standard, but the shooting looked bad. I don't care what other kind of stuff it has, if the shooting is bad, then it doesn't look fun to me. It's not doing enough to distract me from it's mostly dull action.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

if its anything like AW it'll be a chore.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

It's seriously like TC wants to be made fun of

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

It looks more like Max Payne than Alan Wake.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Mad cow is mad - it knows The Order is going to flop - so it proceeds to bash an X1 exclusive to make itself feel better.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

the difference is nobody cares about it enough to get a console

microsoft needs to make better exlcusives that jump out ppl

not this crap imo

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_imperium

@sts106mat:

Remedy was hinting at Alan Wake 2 for years. They even registered the domain called Alanwake2.com and released early concept arts of the game, featuring the cabin where Alan and Alice live before darkness takes her away. Google it you'll find plenty of info about it. I think they couldn't find the publisher to fund them.

As for American Nightmare, it was released to bridge the gap between AW1 and 2. At the end of The writer DLC, Alan writes a new novel named "Return". Alan wake itself was based to novel called "Departure". In original game his wife is taken away by the darkness (departure), he later returns to her in American nightmare.

Early info about AW2 suggested that both Alan and Alice will be together in the game and will move to a new town called "Ordinary". Agent Nightengale was supposed to be new face of the darkness and ending of Alan wake hints at that too. You can see him standing behind rose in final cutscene.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cloud_imperium

@Slashkice:

In my opinion Alan Wake was the best exclusive on Xbox 360. It's one of those rough gems that are remembered for ages to come. Imperfection and controversy, sometime make a game cult classic.

People discuss about their strengths and weaknesses for years to come. Alan Wake is one of these underrated and over looked gems. Other examples are games like Planescape torment (combat is disliked by many but story is praised. Still considered as best RPG despite its flaws), freelancer (a rough diamond that couldn't live up to its hype because microsoft wasn't willing to take risks but when you play it today, it's something that no recent game can offer) and so on.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Sony rams movie games down your throat. Remedy is attempting something new. You get all the gameplay with a story that you have shaped and created.

Umm yeah right, more like you will get a handful of binary choices that effect the ending video.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@ProtossRushX:

I think it looks pretty good, but it doesn't feel like "the next big thing" at all, and I think that's a big problem.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

1st off you have remedy, an established studio that created max payne and alan wake. both did very good review wise and were fan favorites. 2nd, they don't rush games either. max payne took 7 years to create, the sequel was kind of rushed but then they took 7 years to create alan wake. QB will be 5 years after that. its not a studio that pushes out a game every 2 years. they take their time and put out high quality games. Both their big franchises were game changers, different from the other stuff on the market. max payne especially with the bullet time, and gritty dark narrative was years ahead of its time. With QB they look to do that again, this time in a sci-fi way. enlisting quantum physicists to create a story that actually makes sense. Their gameplay has always been impressive. QB looks to keep it going, using the ability to bend time, make decisions that effect gameplay and the story, playing as both the hero and the villain and tying it in with a TV series that plays out based on your decisions giving it replay value. Plus what we seen so far graphically looks impressive and we've seen a lot of gameplay for a game so far away. I expect to see a lot more at E3.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

HYPE level: 0

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@sts106mat said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@sts106mat:

Remedy was hinting at Alan Wake 2 for years. They even registered the domain called Alanwake2.com and released early concept arts of the game, featuring the cabin where Alan and Alice live before darkness takes her away. Google it you'll find plenty of info about it. I think they couldn't find the publisher to fund them.

As for American Nightmare, it was released to bridge the gap between AW1 and 2. At the end of The writer DLC, Alan writes a new novel named "Return". Alan wake itself was based to novel called "Departure". In original game his wife is taken away by the darkness (departure), he later returns to her in American nightmare.

Early info about AW2 suggested that both Alan and Alice will be together in the game and will move to a new town called "Ordinary". Agent Nightengale was supposed to be new face of the darkness and ending of Alan wake hints at that too. You can see him standing behind rose in final cutscene.

interesting stuff, i like the sound of Alan and Alice back together. Barry had better be in there!

who knows, it may happen. the first DLC pack was ok, it was the second one where i was wondering what the **** was the point of it, it looked like an advert for their game engine in places.

As i said, i found myself wishing they'd just left the game at the original ending. dont think i didn't enjoy the game because i really did, i had the Limited edition with the diary of the police officer who had investigated the events after the events of the game.

i did multiple runs, i think I 100% the achievements, but can't remember suffering the second DLC more than once, so wont be 100% anymore IIRC.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Second special episode had way too much nightmarish stuff and pointless enemy encounters etc but it was more challenging. And yeah,,, Barry is awesome!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@clone01 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

From Kotaku:

lol

Huh? is it out yet. Correct me of my ignorance.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

This.

And I still want another Alan Wake.

Pretty much what I came to say too.

Any response, @SolidGame_basic?

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Sounds interesting that's why. Should be longer than The Odor 1866 which is apparently about 6 hours long if you add up the YouTube vids that have been leaked.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lostrib

@clone01: I think he is trying to criticize your typo "its releases"

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lostrib

@wolverine4262: TC is like a hit and run troll, don't expect much

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@lostrib said:

@wolverine4262: TC is like a hit and run troll, don't expect much

Oh, I know that. Thats why I @SolidGame_basic, and why Im doing it again now.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: The main appeal for me:

And you also mention the TV show that will be supporting Quantum Break. Check out Bright falls, which was kinda the same thing for Alan Wake.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

TC destroyed and ran away as always.