What is Microsoft's best series?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll What is Microsoft's best series? (57 votes)

Halo 56%
Forza Motorsport 11%
Gears of War 14%
Fable 4%
Viva Pinata 2%
Killer Instinct 0%
Project Gotham Racing 0%
Crackdown 2%
Kinect 5%
Other (Please Specify) 7%

Microsoft probably has the weakest line up of first party franchises, but it still has some pretty good aces up its sleeve. Halo alone is a genre, industry, and console defining franchise, and their first party deserves credit for that. Of course, they could have even more franchises, if they only tapped into Rare's IP, but as of right now, that is a moot point.

But anyway, which of their franchises do you think is the absolute best?

As for me, this was a no brainer:

Not many franchises can claim to have completely reshaped then industry in their image, but Halo is one of the few that can. With Halo and Halo 2, Bungie redefined console gaming standards twice, and they continued their streak with three exceptional Xbox 360 games as well. In the last few years, Halo has definitely seen a fair bit of decline- Halo 4 was pretty bad, The Master Chief Collection was a disaster, and the Halo 5 beta looks pretty polarizing- but Halo as a franchise can still pull its weight and command attention.

Let's hope Halo 5 is a return to form for the series.

• 
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Gears.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Gears.

Gears 2 wasn't that great at all though...

___

Halo wins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@freedomfreak said:

Gears.

___

Halo wins

Technically, Halo has Halo 4 for Gears' Gears 2.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
@R3FURBISHED said:

___

Halo wins

Neither was Halo 4. And despite the matchmaking being garbage, I spent a ridiculous amount of hours into horde due to it being brilliant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Oh right, Gears 2 was the one that introduced Horde.

Why the hell does it get so much hate, then?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@R3FURBISHED said:

___

Halo wins

Neither was Halo 4. And despite the matchmaking being garbage, I spent a ridiculous amount of hours into horde due to it being brilliant.

Halo 4 was not a bad game though, Gears 2 saw the series completely fall off the rails. Gears 3 made up for a lot of it though

Although, Halo saw it's lowest point come at the hands of a completely different developer whereas Epic just completely shat the bed with Gears 2.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
@charizard1605 said:

Multiplayer being broken, I assume, because it's a much better game than the first Gears, mechanically. First Gears was a very popular, active online game, so having that being broken in the sequel didn't please a lot of people.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Sp was garbage

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freedomfreak
@R3FURBISHED said:

Halo 4 was not a bad game though, Gears 2 saw the series completely fall off the rails. Gears 3 made up for a lot of it though

Although, Halo saw it's lowest point come at the hands of a completely different developer whereas Epic just completely shat the bed with Gears 2.

And neither was Gears of War 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak said:

Multiplayer being broken, I assume, because it's a much better game than the first Gears, mechanically. First Gears was a very popular, active online game, so having that being broken in the sequel didn't please a lot of people.

Right, the launch was a shitshow.

Sucks, I actually probably have more hours clocked into Gears 2 than any of the other games because of Horde mode.

@Ballroompirate said:

Sp was garbage

Really? I recall it being just... there, neither too good nor bad. Not as fun as Gears 1, but not garbage either.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Yeah if we're going by series with multiple games it's gears definitely. There are better games published by MS though.

And there is no sane reason to think gears 1 is a better game than 2.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#13 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Looking at the opinions of Gears 2 and Halo 4 I laugh and am thankful for individual tastes.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

omg charz you need to ease off using that "start new topic" button there's like 6 topics in the main page alone! :P.. guessing your at work and very bored? :P because i do that too lel

anyways MS and best series/franchise do not come together at all since every MS game i played suck ( which werent that many, played halo whatever number that one was and gears 1 and 2 which i couldn't even get around to beating due to how boring they were ) so imo MS has no "good" or remotely close to being "best" series.

Overall tho MS is quite known for its Halo games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@cainetao11 said:

Looking at the opinions of Gears 2 and Halo 4 I laugh and am thankful for individual tastes.

Gears 2 was great, but Halo 4 did indeed suck :<

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@cainetao11 said:

Gears 2 was great, but Halo 4 did indeed suck :<

Completely disagree and agree with the review score of the game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

the age of series and the lancer series...hard to choose between them

MSs best output, games wise, was on PC imho. its such a shame the abandonded it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Halo then Viva Pinata

Halo because it had at least 4 multiplayers I sunk a shit load of time in, and I assume 343 might not shit the bed with Halo 5. Viva Pinata because it genuinely different from a lot of things, addicting to play, tons of charm, great sense of humor, and even came at a reasonable 40 bucks one time at release. It's almost like you don't have to sell your game at 60 bucks all the time, but the modern gaming crowd doesn't buy cool games unless they have guns in them : (

Halo's campaigns deserve zero respect after Halo 1.

Gears of War was a fun franchise, but like the epitome of a one and done type for me. I think Gears 1 and 2 have solid campaigns, with one being the genuine better paced experience in the franchise, but it's entirely forgettable as a game. The multiplayer has always been really fun on a basic level but either had major net code issues: gears 1, was completely unfucking playable in Gears 2, or simply didn't have the maps and ruined the dedicated server vibe in Gears 3. Plus when they added TDM, they took away from the execution/warzone crowd. Aka the way Gears should be played, tdm is fucking lame. Oh and Gears 3's campaign fucking sucks. A lot gets said about how Uncharted 3 was boring that year, and I kind of agree, but Gears 3 was equally boring, if not worse.

PGR is dope and should comeback, and Forza is legit the real deal. Homeboy at Turn 10 said they would make the definitive racer last gen, and all things considered yeah they fucking did it. Twice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Wow. Not one game from that list interests me.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Halo Series

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

This might be an unpopular choice, but... I'm going with Fable.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Flight Simulator obviously

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

Tough one but it's Halo followed by Forza after that picking what comes next gets even tougher. :P

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I voted Halo since i beleive its Xboxs biggest and best series but is not for me ...

Personally i kinda like Gears of War series.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By freedomfreak
@jg4xchamp said:

PGR is dope and should comeback, and Forza is legit the real deal. Homeboy at Turn 10 said they would make the definitive racer last gen, and all things considered yeah they fucking did it. Twice.

Forza: Horizon is pretty much PGR now, except it's open world. It shares the same type of simcade gameplay, and Kudos system from PGR. Definitely doesn't hurt that a large chunk of Bizarre moved to Playground Studios.

Unless you want the open world stuff to go, and just have circuit racing, which is fine.

I do hope they include motorcycles in the next Horizon game. Would make sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Tough one but it's Halo followed by Forza after that picking what comes next gets even tougher. :P

This just reminds me what a poor move Microsoft made in regards to its relationship with Sega when xbox first came to fruition. Now, MS did a lot right with that console, but not fully embracing a lot of potential hit IPs? The Jet Set series(personally not a big fan), Panzer, etc--all those Dreamcast games that came out on xbox could have been brought up to a whole new marketing level.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice

@Heirren said:

@SecretPolice said:

This just reminds me what a poor move Microsoft made in regards to its relationship with Sega when xbox first came to fruition. Now, MS did a lot right with that console, but not fully embracing a lot of potential hit IPs? The Jet Set series(personally not a big fan), Panzer, etc--all those Dreamcast games that came out on xbox could have been brought up to a whole new marketing level.

Oh heck yeah man, I was really pulling for MS to buy Sega back then since it just seemed like a no brainer for both companies. There were many talks between them on the subject but I think SOA was fully onboard but SOJ wasn't and by the end MS just decided not to make the move. Really could have been something great since I sorta went with Xbox at launch in 2001 because it seemed the closest thing to a DC2.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@Heirren said:

@SecretPolice said:

Oh heck yeah man, I was really pulling for MS to buy Sega back then since it just seemed like a no brainer for both companies. There were many talks between them on the subject but I think SOA was fully onboard but SOJ wasn't and by the end MS just decided not to make the move. Really could have been something great since I sorta went with Xbox at launch in 2001 because it seemed the closest thing to a DC2.

I did the same thing with xbox. I believe the some of the Dreamcast directors were even behind the console. I felt that MS was really pushing things forward. I preferred the console back then and imo it had a handful of games that simply eclipsed anything on ps2. Looking back ps2 has the stronger library, but that comes with installed base. I was gaming on a projector at the time. The xbox sound and visual was simply on a whole different level. Not just polygons, but the actual output image was FAR superior to ps2--with the exception of a FEW games like GT4; ps2 has one of the muddiest aliased images I've ever seen.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice

@Heirren said:

@SecretPolice said:

@Heirren said:

@SecretPolice said:

I did the same thing with xbox. I believe the some of the Dreamcast directors were even behind the console. I felt that MS was really pushing things forward. I preferred the console back then and imo it had a handful of games that simply eclipsed anything on ps2. Looking back ps2 has the stronger library, but that comes with installed base. I was gaming on a projector at the time. The xbox sound and visual was simply on a whole different level. Not just polygons, but the actual output image was FAR superior to ps2--with the exception of a FEW games like GT4; ps2 has one of the muddiest aliased images I've ever seen.

Right, right heck Xbox even had a handful of games running at 720P back then as well.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Age of Empires series. Nothing else comes close.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Gotta go with Halo. Though that's a bit iffy these days. Bungie's little brother is really trying, but he's just not getting the finer points.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I was going to go with halo but after halo 4 and mcc... i guess forza is the only franchise microsoft hasn't completely damaged.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#34 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Really isn't much of a contest, the quality and sheer amount of content in Forza games is indisputable. The franchise completely embarrasses the once king of the racing genre, Gran Turismo.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#35 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Halo then Viva Pinata

Halo because it had at least 4 multiplayers I sunk a shit load of time in, and I assume 343 might not shit the bed with Halo 5. Viva Pinata because it genuinely different from a lot of things, addicting to play, tons of charm, great sense of humor, and even came at a reasonable 40 bucks one time at release. It's almost like you don't have to sell your game at 60 bucks all the time, but the modern gaming crowd doesn't buy cool games unless they have guns in them : (

Gears of War was a fun franchise, but like the epitome of a one and done type for me. I think Gears 1 and 2 have solid campaigns, with one being the genuine better paced experience in the franchise, but it's entirely forgettable as a game. The multiplayer has always been really fun on a basic level but either had major net code issues: gears 1, was completely unfucking playable in Gears 2, or simply didn't have the maps and ruined the dedicated server vibe in Gears 3. Plus when they added TDM, they took away from the execution/warzone crowd. Aka the way Gears should be played, tdm is fucking lame. Oh and Gears 3's campaign fucking sucks. A lot gets said about how Uncharted 3 was boring that year, and I kind of agree, but Gears 3 was equally boring, if not worse.

PGR 4 was the shit back in the day. Good times.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's probably Halo...although I'm not a fan of 343s work so far (Halo 4 and Halo MCC). They aren't a bad new studio, but they have not made any great Halo games imo. They have tried and maybe they will get it right with Halo 5.

I enjoyed GeoW (back when it was an Epic property), but new GeoW has me wondering with a brand new studio. I think Halo has this in the bag.

New developers making GeoW and Halo these days though.

I would have said Forza, but I don't like racers.

---

I own both Viva games (my lady and nieces enjoyed them) and the "2nd" Viva game was just a GOTY release of the first game with some nice added goodies. That hardly makes it a series. It was just clever marketing which is why the re-release was cheaper. I remember how disappointed she was when we opened the "2nd" Viva and played it. "I've already played this before, SolidTy!" "I'm sorry, LadyTy, they got me with their marketing! :("

An actual sequel would have been nice.

"Viva Pinata was designed for young girls" - Bill Gates.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Halo, duh. It was the reason why I got an Xbox in the first place, and it's the only reason why I haven't written off getting an Xbox One down the road.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#39 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

Left 4 Dead games were good also.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Halo, nothing else comes close.

Halo>mech assault>viva pinata>nuts and bolts.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#41 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Halo, in my opinion. I've enjoyed every release so far. The only thing I didn't play was Halo Wars and that wasn't for lack of interest, just never picked it up.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10604 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Really isn't much of a contest, the quality and sheer amount of content in Forza games is indisputable. The franchise completely embarrasses the once king of the racing genre, Gran Turismo.

Going by reviews, you're totally correct. Going by fanbase and sales, it's the other way around.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

...which are made by valve

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

it's going to be halo by a mile

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Other:

Age of Empires

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Halo and gears series

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#47 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

@lostrib said:

@brimmul777 said:

...which are made by valve

Sorry,You are Right.......My Mistake.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Age of Empires > any MS Xbox game.

However if we are sticking with Xbox then Halo.

PGR comes second as I think it was one of the best racing franchises along with Burnout and Mario Kart.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Halo then Viva Pinata

Heh, you must really despise the racing genre to think Viva Pinata is a better franchise than Forza.

Or I really like Viva Pinata.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

halo, and nothing even close. hell playing the MCC, halo 1, 2, and 3 are better then any other game to come out in the past 10 years on any system. even by todays standards.