What is it with game consoles not having....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

boredy-Mcbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 boredy-Mcbored
Member since 2007 • 1566 Posts
FULL BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY? Really, what is it with game developers not putting in full BC? I understand that it make take more time to make the system compatible with the previous systems but it REALLY feels cheap without being able to play games from the past. I'm disappointed when I go to my friends house to play his Ps3, bring my brothers old Ps2 games, only to find out that the game isn't compatible with the console. Sure you CAN say that you can play your old console games BUT say you want to revisit games on a Ps2 but it broke and/or you didn't have it? I feel pretty crappy. Anyway getting to the point... Don't you feel ripped?
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
BC has only existed on the ps2 and x360 (early ps3 models) and WII and handhelds its not like its always been there
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
If it's not BC at all then I'd be very very disappointed, but if most of the games are then I'm happy.
DrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#5 DrHyde
Member since 2003 • 584 Posts

I was really disappointed when the PS3 dropped BC. This just seemed like Sony trying to get more money out of customers by having them purchase a PS2. I know they needed to save costs, but come on. I have a PS2 now, but when the PS3 was just coming out I didn't (I've had about 3 PS2s total), so by the time I had the money for the PS3 they took away the BC when I still had some games and my memory card. It ended up being a deciding factor in whether I would purchase one. I figured since Sony gave the PS2 BC with PS1 games, why not keep it with the PS3 for all other PS1/2 games?

boredy-Mcbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 boredy-Mcbored
Member since 2007 • 1566 Posts
[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]BC has only existed on the ps2 and x360 (early ps3 models) and WII and handhelds its not like its always been there

BC just seemed like a reasonable step in console evolution. With no BC it seems like consoles are just taking a step backwards.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Its a move to make more money. Sony figures, if they want to play ps2 games let them buy the PS2 console. Thats another $100 extra. Oh and when PS2 stops being in production then they will have BC backon the PS3. Probably.

jjenkins78x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jjenkins78x
Member since 2009 • 751 Posts
I have seriously, honestly, cross-my-heart NEVER cared about BC. I still own my PS2, and I seriously have played one game on it since the PS3 launched - God of War 2. The PS2 had a great, great run and I played some of the best games ever made in that era, but I like new things. My PS3 actually does have BC and I have never used it. I just feel there are newer games that warrant my attention, and even then I can't get through all of them before something new comes out. If I was worried about the PS2 backlog I have I wouldn't be able to leave the house for years and years. This isn't damage control or denial or anything (as I said my PS3 DOES have BC), I just think it's a very, very minor feature to me and not at all a selling point.
Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

no i have ps2 / ps3 and my 360 is bc so nope,

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#10 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49581 Posts
I wish the Xbox 360 would support some more BC games. But never-the-less, the important ones are on there so that'll do. Funny how the cows bashed the Xbox 360 for not being "fully BC" and then only one year later Sony fully removes BC. That's a big ouch and slap in the face.
Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

Never cared too much about B/C because I'm not actually planning to buy previous gen games. It's never actually a thought to me.

It also looks a lot cooler to have all the systems rather than just one that plays all the games imo.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
BC has only existed on the ps2 and x360 (early ps3 models) and WII and handhelds its not like its always been thereshadow_hosi
I would not say the 360 cause it has less BC than any PS3 model.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Well, I can honestly say that I'm not buying a PS3 until I can get one with BC.
JunkTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JunkTrap
Member since 2006 • 2640 Posts

Let's see... PS3 was $599 for the top model with full bc. The top model now is $499 without B/C. Now you have the option to buy a PS2 for 99. What the heck are you guys complaining about? Did you buy a PS3 to play PS2 games? I'm positive MOST people bought the current gen systems to play current gen games.

And lemmings dis the PS3 because they have the option to buy LIVE or a wireless adapter for the xbox 360... Something is not right.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#15 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

my wii is fully BC with gamecube games and i can get games off of the nintendo store, but i own the earlier systems and the games anyway. my PS3 cant play PS2 games but my PS2 can so it doesnt bother me.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

Part of the reason for the lack of Backwards compatibility is technical issues.

For the 360, it was a challenge to get it done because the hardware changed radically between generations. Microsoft, knowledgeable of the PC world, thus used software emulation to emulate the cut-down Pentium III and the XChip (which they couldn't do in hardware anymore--supplies had already gone dry)...and prudently gave no guarantees. Still, for a software-only solution, you have to credit them for getting a good chunk of the lineup up and running (recently got to enjoy Panzer Dragoon Orta on my 360 with very little to complain about).

The PS3 wanted to try a hardware route by incorporating the Emotion Engine into the PS3 (which is what happened at first), but poor sales and cost constraints (not to mention Microsoft chopping price on them) forced concessions. If they wanted to get the price down, they had to trim down, and the EE was among the first things to go.

For the Wii, backwards compatibility to the GameCube is straightforward since both their CPU and GPU are basic evolutions of what was on the GameCube and can be made to act just like their predecessors when needed. Software emulation takes care of the rest (and thanks to the underground, the hardware on many of these devices are already well understood).

sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

yeah BC should be in all consoles, sony needs to re-release BC ps3's

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HuusAsking

Let's see... PS3 was $599 for the top model with full bc. The top model now is $499 without B/C. Now you have the option to buy a PS2 for 99. What the heck are you guys complaining about? Did you buy a PS3 to play PS2 games? I'm positive MOST people bought the current gen systems to play current gen games.

And lemmings dis the PS3 because they have the option to buy LIVE or a wireless adapter for the xbox 360... Something is not right.

JunkTrap
For me, being able to play last gen games was part of what made me get a 360--that combined with price and the fact that I already own a PS2 so wouldn't benefit from the PS3's BC.
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

I don't necessarily feel ripped off, but it's still a shame that the PS3 is no longer backwards compatible and that the 360 is only BC with half of the Xbox's library.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I have a 60GB PS3 and never play PS2 games on it. So if I had a non-BC PS3, I guess I wouldn't complain.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HuusAsking

I don't necessarily feel ripped off, but it's still a shame that the PS3 is no longer backwards compatible and that the 360 is only BC with half of the Xbox's library.

Menalque2

But to be fair, Microsoft has to be given credit for getting as far as they have using nothing but software (since hardware is out of the question for them).

PS. To the TC: Your poll needs a fourth option: My console IS backwards compatible (or BC enough for me).

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#22 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Backward compatible hadn't even been introduced to console gaming till the PS2. It's no big deal, after all I kinda buy new consoles to play the new games.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HuusAsking
Backward compatible hadn't even been introduced to console gaming till the PS2. It's no big deal, after all I kinda buy new consoles to play the new games.vashkey
BC is a plus to people who skip generations (like me; I didn't get an Xbox last gen) and thus can influence buying decisions. It also helps to convince buyers away from the older consoles, helping to sunset them quicker when sales on them start to taper off or the margins for the current generation improve.
PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PoppaGamer
Member since 2009 • 1629 Posts
On a personal level, I could care less. I have the BC capable 60GB PS3 and haven't inserted a single PS1 or PS2 game into it. And I don't miss them one bit. I bought my now-gen console for one reason, to enjoy now-gen games and now-gen features. But I can see how many people do want BC. Some, though, think they need it when they don't. I have witnessed people freaking out about making sure they have BC but then never use it. But then you have the real hardcore collectors, and I can see how they would need BC to keep their collection playable. Buuuut, if they are that hardcore about collecting, they probably collect consoles too and take care of everything very well. Therefore, they probably have the prior gen console to play the prior-gen games they collected. I think they all just need to go the software route. They should allow you to prove purchase of the original title so that you can download a software version through DD. That way anyone can access old titles if they want and won't get double-dipped by paying twice. But this is very unlikely.
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

Well, I can honestly say that I'm not buying a PS3 until I can get one with BC.Tylendal

Yeah. Especially since I don't own a PS2 and don't really want to buy one. But I do own PS2 games (my brother has a PS2) and I would like to play those.

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"]Backward compatible hadn't even been introduced to console gaming till the PS2. It's no big deal, after all I kinda buy new consoles to play the new games.HuusAsking
BC is a plus to people who skip generations (like me; I didn't get an Xbox last gen) and thus can influence buying decisions. It also helps to convince buyers away from the older consoles, helping to sunset them quicker when sales on them start to taper off or the margins for the current generation improve.

That's a good point. I used to buy only one console per generation with my brother getting another (last generation, I had the Gamecube and he had the PS2). But, since I'm moving out soon, I won't have access to the PS2, but I have a few PS2 games I bought because I wanted to play them and I know my Wii isn't going to play them. And the fact that I also want a PS3 comes into play and I don't want to have to buy two systems (even though buying a used 60GB PS3 would be about the same price as a PS3 + PS2). I just hope they can impliment BC into the current models one day.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

BC has only existed on the ps2 and x360 (early ps3 models) and WII and handhelds its not like its always been thereshadow_hosi

My Mega Drive is BC with my Master System games.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
Its not like PC has perfect BC either, try booting up a windows 95 version of Kings quests in your Vista machine :p
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts
[QUOTE="boredy-Mcbored"]FULL BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY? Really, what is it with game developers not putting in full BC? I understand that it make take more time to make the system compatible with the previous systems but it REALLY feels cheap without being able to play games from the past. I'm disappointed when I go to my friends house to play his Ps3, bring my brothers old Ps2 games, only to find out that the game isn't compatible with the console. Sure you CAN say that you can play your old console games BUT say you want to revisit games on a Ps2 but it broke and/or you didn't have it? I feel pretty crappy. Anyway getting to the point... Don't you feel ripped?

Huh? Game developers have nothing to do with how a console is built, how can you blame them for not having BC? That doesn't make any sense at all :?.
jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts

Honestly at the beginning of this generation bc was important to me bc i have a huge library of ps2 games and then I rushed out to get a 60gb ps3 with bc once I heard the rumors that bc was going the way of the dodo but honestly I haven't played a ps2 game since maybe the first 6 months of having a ps3. I just can't go back to ps2 games and have more than enough ps3 games to keep me occupied for a long time. Sure it's nice knowing that I can eventually go back and finish games I should have *cough*okami*cough* but honestly BC is overrated. I can see that it might be important if you never had the previous system and want access to those games but again my bro has a wii and I got him some gc games we missed while playing ps2 (re0, metroid prime) but we just cant bring ourselves to playing those games for longer than 30 mins.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
I haven't played a PS2 or PS1 game yet that didn't work on my PS3. All my Gamecube games work on my Wii. I'm good all around
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#32 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I don't care, and I'm neither a mega-fanboy nor am I dumb. I'm on the platform that has infinite backwards compatibility. The PC.

Thanatos_2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Thanatos_2012
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts
uh I still have my older consoles no bc has never been big on my list, worst comes toworst I can go to ebay and get older hardware, but really windows does roms just fine hell my ps3 does roms fine on ubuntu
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HuusAsking

I don't care, and I'm neither a mega-fanboy nor am I dumb. I'm on the platform that has infinite backwards compatibility. The PC.

Brendissimo35
Um...have you tried playing say the PC version of Final Fantasy 7 without a hitch on a Vista system. Odds are you're going to be doing quite a bit of tweaking. Many other PC games from yesteryear simply don't work--it's the reason ntcompatible.com was created years back.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HuusAsking
Backward compatible hadn't even been introduced to console gaming till the PS2. It's no big deal, after all I kinda buy new consoles to play the new games.vashkey
But they probably started thinking about after the introduction of Nintendo's Game Boy Advance, which was probably the first BC handheld (or the first one popular enough to matter).