What is flooding the market more?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

What is flooding the market more? Short party games filled with minigames or short shooters.

EX: Party Games- Guitar Hero, Mario Party 8, Rayman Raving Rabbids

EX: Shooter Games- Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, Resistance, BlackSite, Too Human, BioShock, Killzone

When I think of big non shooter releases this year on the 360/PS3 i think the list is thin with titles like Heavenly Sword, Lairm GTA 4, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect being the most obvious. But to me it feels like everyday a new shooter is out on the 360 and that the PS3 as Sony in general is packing alot of shooters into their consoles now.

Party games aren't ignorable either. One could make the case that both are party games. But this party games never trick you into thinking theres any intelligence involved in getting Yoshi ahead of Mario in MP 8 or to swing a cow in Rayman. Its pure drivel and some people want and love that as others do shooters.

I really think more could be done with shooters today. I mean I think Half Life 2 is still the best shooter out there. It has a great and lengthy single player story with really good multiplayer features (sound like anything? Metroid Prime?)

But Gears of War, Halo 2, Lost Planet, Earth Defense Force, Resistance, Call of Duty seem short and bland to me.

I play those and am expecting something more from them and I didn't get them ( I feel)

but if i want to party with some friends I'll whip out GuitarHero

or DDR. Whatever

What do you think is flooding the market most?

I'd be interested to see if anyone can post a comment with a link or facts about how many shooters are on the 360/PS3 in comparision to party games on the Wii.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Shooters, by far.
nhh12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nhh12345
Member since 2007 • 476 Posts
Shooters.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Even with all the party games on the Wii it's still shooters cause it dominates the 360 and PC and will probably on the PS3.
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
squirt gunners.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

Is this a joke thread?

There are only around 5 party games for the Wii and a 100 or so shooters for the 360.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darth-pyschosis

THIS isn't a joke thread

i think shooter by far are flooding the market.

i just want to see if people agree with me and why.

if shooters are then why is the Wii with its scary "takes away from the hardcore gamer" BS such a bad thing? If you're getting the same senseless drivel in another game except instead of racing or what not you hold a gun?

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darth-pyschosis

anyone care for some bump?

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dencore

THIS isn't a joke thread

i think shooter by far are flooding the market.

i just want to see if people agree with me and why.

if shooters are then why is the Wii with its scary "takes away from the hardcore gamer" BS such a bad thing? If you're getting the same senseless drivel in another game except instead of racing or what not you hold a gun?

darth-pyschosis

Haven't you heard?

If a game isn't rated M, has pretty graphics, or has a gun in it it sucks.

This is why most gamers laugh at real games such as Guilty Gear, Odin Sphere, and Puzzle League. While they praise Rainbow Six Vegas, Oblivion, and other watered down PC games.

This is also why they flame the Japanese when in reality their sales chart consists of much more quality titles. *judging from reviews*

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Socrates88
Member since 2007 • 1655 Posts
hands down shooters.
Slyprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Slyprince
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
too human isnt a shooter
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
No contest shooters. Rainbow Six, Graw, Gears, Halo3, Haze, Crysis, PDZ, Killzone 2, Unreal 3, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 3, Call of Duty 4, Resistance,Red Steel, Fear, etc are all the shooters released and scheduled to releasesince the "next gen" launched(360 launched thus beginning the gen). Thats not including hybrids like Bioshock, Metroid Prime 3, Riddick, etc. The shooter genre is the most competitive out there in terms of the amount of games in the genre.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dencore
^^^^^Yet after all those there still isn't a decent console shooter aside from Gears and Resident Evil 4.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Shooters, beyond any reasonable doubt.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
^^^^^Yet after all those there still isn't a decent console shooter aside from Gears and Resident Evil 4. Dencore
Um are u talking about my post. because i mentioned crysis and unreal and call of duty which are on PC as well. and Halo is a proven console franchise and better than gears in gameplay and variety. theres no contest about that. and console versions of Graw,Rainbow Six, Fear(360), etc have all been very good games. PC has better controls and online but the console shooters arereally good. Sure they would need a graphical upgradefor PC, but thats it. The gameplay would be just fine, and the controls would only enhance the gameplay. and the idea is which floods the market. and right now its shooters hands down.
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts
Shooters have been drowning us LONG before the first drops of the party deluge started. The 'party flood' isn't anywhere near the same magnitude, and is a lot less insidious to boot IMO.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darth-pyschosis
c'mon keep the thread alive!
2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts
Now let me bring up the argument that cows & sheep like to bring up.. it's been what, 7 months? Devs are now in the middle of producing those minigame titles they want to unleash onto the Wii....
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

c'mon keep the thread alive!darth-pyschosis

You obviously don't know what you are talking about, learn about the games before you list them! Too Human is not a shooter!

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts

Shooters

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

Wait you called Earth Defense Force short? How is a 15+ hour shooter short!? Unless you play on the easiest setting then I could understand...

Shooters have never been about 30+ hours for the most part, it is obvious you don't like shooters and that is fine but know the genre before you bash it. It isn't like shooters are now just becoming 7-15 hour long compaign modes, they always have been...

hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts

Shooters no contest. Ever since Halo, thats all its been on consoles.

Goodornot,itsdebatable.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darth-pyschosis

Wait you called Earth Defense Force short? How is a 15+ hour shooter short!? Unless you play on the easiest setting then I could understand...

Shooters have never been about 30+ hours for the most part, it is obvious you don't like shooters and that is fine but know the genre before you bash it. It isn't like shooters are now just becoming 7-15 hour long compaign modes, they always have been...

spinecaton

Was lost planet 15 hours long? 30? Halo 2? Gears?

Okay 15 hours may be long to you but listen I like to play long games that don't get dull. The dull part is a matter of opinion but games like Elder Scrolls, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Pokemons, Metroid Primes have well over 30-100 hours for each of them respectively.

Long games that have variety. I've seen shooters before in countless games but I still haven't found better dungeons in games today than those in old school and current Final Fantasys and Legend of Zeldas.

Half-Life 2 is the great exception to this.

Resident Evil 4 was a really good short shooter/Survival game. I beat that in 15 or so of the most stressful gaming hours of my life. To add to RE 4, Does anyone miss old Resident Evil games that were a little heavier on the horror part of the genre than the shooter aspect of survival?

RE 4 was good and all but anyday I'd take Silent Hill 1 over anything Resident Evil. Thats just me.