what is damage control?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blazinpapi8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 blazinpapi8888
Member since 2004 • 291 Posts

I somewhat understand what it is but I want to know exactly what it means and why do people hate it.

Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Toaster_Cell
Member since 2006 • 3062 Posts
Think of it like hypocrisy.
bobby_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bobby_king
Member since 2003 • 2122 Posts
It's like cows saying MGS sucks the day after MGS4 has been announced for the 360.
blazinpapi8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 blazinpapi8888
Member since 2004 • 291 Posts

Well the way ive seen it used is when somone makes a topic to counter a flood of other topics.

Avatar image for psycotictaratua
psycotictaratua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psycotictaratua
Member since 2005 • 969 Posts
It's when there's bad news, and people are so reluctant to admit that it's actually bad news, they try to downsize the problem or spin it to sound good.  A good example of the former is with DMC, it's been one of the more hyped games on PS3 (much more so in Japan than the US), but since it was announced to be multiplatform, so many cows are saying it's not a significant game.  Another good example is when Sony announced that they would have no rumble, and they respond by saying that "rumble is last-gen."
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts

Well the way ive seen it used is when somone makes a topic to counter a flood of other topics.

blazinpapi8888

It's when something happens and you try to spin it or say it's not bad, or really lessen the impact.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
It's basically minimizing the damage one takes. For example, if I fall, falling flat on my back is a form of damage control as opposed to falling on my head. In a spoken sense, if I say something stupid and try to correct myself, that's another form of damage control.
oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

It's like cows saying MGS sucks the day after MGS4 has been announced for the 360.bobby_king

This is true.  But what I find more annoying than damage control is what the lemmings have been doing for year...there needs to be a new term to describe "lemming desperation".  I can honestly only think of one or two games that I've ever wanted on my PS3 that X360 has and I never bring it up like a big deal.  There's an infinite amount of threads of cry babies that have wanted several key PS3 games.  They whine until they get it then call damage control on us automatically.  I think thats worse that hypocrysy (i dunno its close).

But whatever, they lack confidence and it shows.

Power_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Power_47
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

[QUOTE="bobby_king"]It's like cows saying MGS sucks the day after MGS4 has been announced for the 360.oldskooler79

This is true.  But what I find more annoying than damage control is what the lemmings have been doing for year...there needs to be a new term to describe "lemming desperation".  I can honestly only think of one or two games that I've ever wanted on my PS3 that X360 has and I never bring it up like a big deal.  There's an infinite amount of threads of cry babies that have wanted several key PS3 games.  They whine until they get it then call damage control on us automatically.  I think thats worse that hypocrysy (i dunno its close).

Here we have a perfect example of damage control

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts
Just take a look at any of KeyWii's recent posts and you'll have a prime example.
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

[QUOTE="bobby_king"]It's like cows saying MGS sucks the day after MGS4 has been announced for the 360.oldskooler79

This from a guy with Killzone in ihs signature? Yeah, great, only two games on the 360 that you'd want on your PS3 - you have gems like Killzone, so who needs Halo 3? When you = the market, you will matter.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

I somewhat understand what it is but I want to know exactly what it means and why do people hate it.

blazinpapi8888

It's what the republicans have been doing the day Bush first took office lol 

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kcpp2b

Just take a look at any of KeyWii's recent posts and you'll have a prime example.AfterShafter

You beat me to it, was gonna say that hahahaha 

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
[QUOTE="blazinpapi8888"]

kcpp2b

Do we really need to make this political? It's bad enough we got some of the worst console fanboys in this forum. :? 

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kcpp2b
[QUOTE="oldskooler79"]

[QUOTE="bobby_king"]It's like cows saying MGS sucks the day after MGS4 has been announced for the 360.Power_47

This is true. But what I find more annoying than damage control is what the lemmings have been doing for year...there needs to be a new term to describe "lemming desperation". I can honestly only think of one or two games that I've ever wanted on my PS3 that X360 has and I never bring it up like a big deal. There's an infinite amount of threads of cry babies that have wanted several key PS3 games. They whine until they get it then call damage control on us automatically. I think thats worse that hypocrysy (i dunno its close).

Here we have a perfect example of damage control

I know how sad, thanks for giving the guy a perfect example bud  

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kcpp2b
[QUOTE="kcpp2b"][QUOTE="blazinpapi8888"]

Redmoonxl2

Do we really need to make this political? It's bad enough we got some of the worst console fanboys in this forum. :?

I thought it was a good joke, ah well 

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

blazinpapi8888
let me put it in easier term. lets say your in a presidental race and one of the nominees is found to hit his wife at one point. well damage control would mean all your people try to find a positive spin on the situation to make people think it's not as bad. Example he was reaching for something and accidently hit her. same with SW DMC4 gets announces multiplatform and the cows who been hyping it as one the the reason to buy a PS3 will say ,ahh it's just a button masher anyways.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kcpp2b
[QUOTE="blazinpapi8888"]

peacebringer

let me put it in easier term. lets say your in a presidental race and one of the nominees is found to hit his wife at one point. well damage control would mean all your people try to find a positive spin on the situation to make people think it's not as bad. Example he was reaching for something and accidently hit her. same with SW DMC4 gets announces multiplatform and the cows who been hyping it as one the the reason to buy a PS3 will say ,ahh it's just a button masher anyways.

Yeah but damage control on SW would be instead of that the nominee would find a rumour about the other and yell it out to be true to make themselves look better and thus controlling the amount of damage they are getting 

hellsing321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hellsing321
Member since 2005 • 9608 Posts
Imagine if you got hit in your weak spot. Now naturally you'd want to lessen the amount of damage you take to prevent the dreaded massive damage, but of course when you get hit in the weak spot there is no way to prevent massive damage so it's just an exercise in futility.